Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I mean its rather baseless of me, but I like to imagine that season 2 will be confirmed at E3 with Cassandra and armor this month being revealed at the very least. I would at the least say its a good approach so as to make it apparent the game has much more content coming.

Though, I just think I'm being ridiculously hopeful. The only reason I slightly believe this is that Cassandra already has some files in the game if I recall.
I think it's a lot more likely we'll get a season 2 announcement at EVO this year instead of E3. Plus it'd be weird if they announced season 2 when the first season wasn't fully released yet.

D5zXvxuXkAAwyJG.png

What would make a better soulcal game?

1) A large roster with simple, straightforward movesets, 2) A smaller roster with big, deep dive movesets, or 3) large roster/complexity?

the first option. At first I thought the small roster with deep dive stuff would be what this series needed, but something didn't go right.

SC6 is kind of in a rut right now. People seem to have a lot of issues with them changing mechanics around, and Reversal Edge is just bad tbh.

I hate to be "that person" but I would much rather have things go back to the simpler time of SC2/3AE.

That being said, SC6 can and should be made to a better standard once characters are released and more updates are ironed out.

I hate to be "that person" but I would much rather have things go back to the simpler time of SC2/3AE.

I'd rather it not, I like the fact SC rounds can act like a piece of music, changing for periods of time as it makes it more interesting and dynamic. Only thing I don't approve of is RE and that's because it's a minigame in a competitive fighting game and completely luck based.

As for a better Soul Calibur game I've made some more notes in this thread here but I also think all characters should have gauge attacks without the need to go into Soul Charge like Yoshi and Geralt do now. It actually wouldn't been a bad idea to introduce this for Season 2 in SC6. All characters already have gauge attack while in Soul Charge so it wouldn't be an issue or time consuming to implement. Also I personally would like Yoshi's Spinning Evade to just consume his gauge meter instead of his health seeing as you can no longer replenish your health with Indian Stance.

SC6 is kind of in a rut right now. People seem to have a lot of issues with them changing mechanics around, and Reversal Edge is just bad tbh.

Rut is an understatement the game’s rules have changed drastically and this includes the stupid unintentional bug like TRACKING VERTICALS, why do verticals track now?!
(Sorry for caps but this genuinely triggers me)

Everything I’ve learnt up until now is essentially useless as my defence isn’t the same, characters are way more overpowered than they should be because of the GI change.
(Which they said they would fix but haven’t)
The fact RE tracks just makes me want to throw the disc.
As I distinctly remember everyone saying “JuSt SIdE StEP iT” yeah well it tracks with certain characters in random instances so no you can’t.

Not only that but combos are so inconsistent now and it’s bad enough matchup knowledge is imperative with this game when compared to limb fighters.

But defending this game is getting so exhausting when you actually play it and witness the large amount of issues it has.

I need a break from this game until they stop fuckin with it.

I genuinely don’t get it Soulcalibur 6 is a beautiful game but some of the decisions made for it lately are so stupid it’s crippling it’s own success.

The fact RE tracks just makes me want to throw the disc.
As I distinctly remember everyone saying “JuSt SIdE StEP iT” yeah well it tracks with certain characters in random instances so no you can’t.

This isn't my experience with it, I even tried the same setup of someone playing Amy getting caught in what looks like RE tracking but I did not get the results, at all. The only time it tracks is from the point when it goes from charge to attack. From that point it's completely linear. So yeah “JuSt SIdE StEP iT” but do it correctly as it's hard to fail side stepping it.

i feel like you guys are forgetting just how massively complex the movelists were in SC2 lol, that game had me studying for hours trying to memorise what does what, and it was even harder to pick and choose which attacks were even worth using bc despite the large move lists, the majority of attacks werent viable in a normal fight

that being said i do prefer larger movelists with lots of different string mixups to reversal edge. there are lots of strings i wish were in sc6 because they help strengthen that “mindgame” element but i also like the meter in sc5 and 6, and how almost every character has a unique gimmick that makes them stand out

i just wish they would focus on hit boxes, netcode, an actual functioning sidestep, etc, before going crazy with all the extra fun stuff

Everything I’ve learnt up until now is essentially useless as my defence isn’t the same, characters are way more overpowered than they should The fact RE tracks just makes me want to throw the disc.
i agree with the tracking verticals (literally why do some verticals track?? that’s the opposite of their function wtf) but i’ve never experienced an instance where a RE has tracked me while i sidestep

Last edited:
i feel like you guys are forgetting just how massively complex the movelists were in SC2 lol, that game had me studying for hours trying to memorise what does what, and it was even harder to pick and choose which attacks were even worth using bc despite the large move lists, the majority of attacks werent viable in a normal fight

That's one of the great things I've noticed with SC6 is that they've streamlined a lot of the moves across the characters with the stances for all the characters pretty much regulated to B+K. One of my favourite changes has been to Ivy who has had her bloat removed while maintaining the majority of her moves.

I think it's a lot more likely we'll get a season 2 announcement at EVO this year instead of E3. Plus it'd be weird if they announced season 2 when the first season wasn't fully released yet.
It would be awkward, but I'm pretty sure (despite being incapable of being able to name it) a different to developer has done something similar to this before. Though I still could be on the overly hopeful side, you're definitely right however.

What would make a better soulcal game?

1) A large roster with simple, straightforward movesets, 2) A smaller roster with big, deep dive movesets, or 3) large roster/complexity?

For me its (1). Alternatively though, I'm all for (3). Soulcalibur VI is definitely my favorite however and a breath of fresh air that I think this series needs. I would honestly say the franchise could in a sense be healthy occasionally hopping back and forth since its still recognizable. However the simplicity the past had will always stick with me.

SC6 isn't terrible but I feel like for some move sets it has just set up a situation where some moves are very undesirable and harder to execute (as in the opening to get them or make them worth it) so some moves feel like your not using them quite as much as you'd like to, in the past it felt a bit easier to implement at little of everything and get a bit of a surprise out at a different pace. In SC6 the characters do generally speaking have a very high priority on what they are targeting to achieve, Amy with her roses as an example. That being said, it also keeps things refreshing that each character has their own objective or focus during play. SC6 has also went to a great deal of simplifying a lot of things (although I would also say inadvertently over complicating a few others). I also just for the most part don't like the tracking either. I've had some pretty questionable moments with it.

I'm still in love with the traditional aspect however and would murder for a perfect remaster of SC3 online with SC3AE content to play a more traditional experience, a bit of further balance tweaks perhaps too. There are times when I just don't wish to play around with all the new things in SC6 and do things in the old style which was most certainly fun its own right. I think they'd be doing right by the fan base to release a remaster at some point. They probably wont approach this any time soon though in case it interferes with SC6.

Last edited:
SC6 isn't terrible but I feel like for some move sets it has just set up a situation where some moves are very undesirable and harder to execute (as in the opening to get them or make them worth it) so some moves feel like your not using them quite as much as you'd like to...

In SC6 the characters do generally speaking have a very high priority on what they are targeting to achieve, Amy with her roses as an example. That being said, it also keeps things refreshing that each character has their own objective or focus during play.

This in general irks me - I do not want to be told how to play a character. If you are going to force characters into archetypes and funnels, then idk, it just feels so forced amd 1 dimensional.

I'm really surprised most of you picked option 1. Large roster/streamlined moveset (e.g. MK style). I would side with 2. smaller roster but deep dive move sets; IMO this is where you get situations where you have two players playing the same character but witb different styles and you end up playing the person, and not just a rinse and repeating the same matchups.

3. Large roster/deep dive movesets is just phd level tekken and ain't no one got time for dat.

This in general irks me - I do not want to be told how to play a character. If you are going to force characters into archetypes and funnels, then idk, it just feels so forced amd 1 dimensional.

I'm really surprised most of you picked option 1. Large roster/streamlined moveset (e.g. MK style). I would side with 2. smaller roster but deep dive move sets; IMO this is where you get situations where you have two players playing the same character but witb different styles and you end up playing the person, and not just a rinse and repeating the same matchups.

3. Large roster/deep dive movesets is just phd level tekken and ain't no one got time for dat.

I chose option one but come on, I don’t want mortal Kombat/injustice trash. Now that’s just...low.

We can have option one without sinking to such depravity

Didn't mean to offend but idk man, i hope you see what I'm saying, MK/injustice are like the logical conclusion of streamlined characters

Yeah, and 6 was where character playstyle archetypes are being encouraged/forced.

Cervy teleportation gimmicks
Nightmare armour balls
Yoshi soul guage
Amys roses

Granted these are a few examples, and some of these actually work well and suit the character, but maybe some of the historically more dynamic members of the cast are forced into a certain one-dimensionalism.

i thought it was kind of the point of fighting games to have characters that fit certain archetypes,,, it’s not an RPG like Skyrim where you can fight however you want lol, characters have always had goals and crutches they leaned on & that’s what makes choosing mains so important bc each character speaks to different players’ preferences

otherwise we get a mess like MK Armageddon

I do not want to be told how to play a character. If you are going to force characters into archetypes and funnels, then idk, it just feels so forced amd 1 dimensional.

I know what you're saying, there seems to be a trend creeping into Soul Calibur where characters have to do so many specific moves just to unlock their full potential. Tria's, coda, Maxi's seven stars and now Amy's roses push you to grinding rather than fighting.

Yeah, and 6 was where character playstyle archetypes are being encouraged/forced.

Yoshi soul guage

I disagree with this, Yoshi's Soul Gauge moves are completely optional because meter is always being filled, he actually has more options than most of the characters, Geralt is the only other character that has access to Soul Guage moves on the fly.

Back