Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

If season 2 characters will be leak via datamining I'll start to suspect PS are doing it on purpose.

Where are you getting the term “resurrected”? That’s an oddly specific term. Did Okubo use that?
It's through a Google Translate of this interview:

Q: Is the character of the past work first delivered in Season Pass 2?
A: That's right. I think it will be a resurrection character.

it’s almost definitely just a google translate flub from an interview Okubo did

it most likely just means “bring back” rather than “resurrect”
Then again, looking through it he used the kanji 復活 or "Fukkatsu". For any anime fans out there, this has been used in titles such as:
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' also known as Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F
and
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection also known as Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch

I've only taken a few courses in Japanese so I'm not good enough to tell whether this some sort of idiom or metaphor but the fact that he used it make it seem like somebody is coming back from the dead. Other meaning aside from resurrection is revival, restoration, and the broader "come-back". I don't see why he would use such a word unless it's a character that has been absent for a while.

I've only taken a few courses in Japanese so I'm not good enough to tell whether this some sort of idiom or metaphor ...
It's this. I've seen this phrasing used quite a few times in dev talk to refer to bringing back something (a character, a system, a design, etc.) after an absence. It doesn't have to literally refer to someone that has died living again.

Now we know who Yell is:

1565187070082.png

Azwel is pretty ridiculous as a character. He's so over the top villainous bad guy that he literally has a theme song that follows him around. I headcanon that his theme is something that actually exists in reality, as opposed to the rest of the background music that is only there for our benefit as players. His voice and mannerisms are so fabulously devilish that it's comical, and a wonder that anyone takes him seriously.

Azwel is pretty ridiculous as a character. He's so over the top villainous bad guy that he literally has a theme song that follows him around. I headcanon that his theme is something that actually exists in reality, as opposed to the rest of the background music that is only there for our benefit as players. His voice and mannerisms are so fabulously devilish that it's comical, and a wonder that anyone takes him seriously.
I think it's part of his charm, just like damp. And anyway, most characters are pretty hammy.
"Now to take yer soul" :sc1crv1: "souls...will burn!"
Also nightmare always makes nightmare puns.

I know and all of that for me is a problem. Generally i can appreciate comical aspects when its clearly communicated to us that is the point but i feel the game and character takes itself seriously making the comical aspects an unintentional accident. I have that and a couple other issues with him.

I think it's part of his charm, just like damp. And anyway, most characters are pretty hammy.
I know and all of that for me is a problem. Generally i can appreciate comical aspects when its clearly communicated to us that is the point but i feel the game and character takes itself seriously making the comical aspects an unintentional accident. I have that and a couple other issues with him.
Myself, I keep feeling like the director of voice performances for the English localization team must have had a moment like the one described here.

...except because this is Soulcalibur, and because every step of the localization for this series is taking already silly subject matter and somehow making it even campier, said director's insights probably amounted to: "Think you can turn it up a little more? Like say to eleven...thousand?"

Myself, I keep feeling like the director of voice performances for the English localization team must have had a moment like the one described here.

...except because this is Soulcalibur, and because every step of the localization for this series is taking already silly subject matter and somehow making it even campier, said director's insights probably amounted to: "Think you can turn it up a little more? Like say to eleven...thousand?"

Everytime i hear the word "REEEEAASON" i want to stab myself in the eardrums.

His idle stance looks so awkward and forced spread out like that. Those dam wrists look broken. Dude needs to relax. In general characters shouldn't look like they're trying too hard. They dont give the impression of skilled warriors. They come off like unskilled amateurs who dont know what they're doing.

His signature move that he lands on counter hit or whatever involves some weird wrestling looking slam which is totally out of nowhere, doesnt match well with the character and makes no sense at all.

imo, I'd say Groh was kind of a let down of a character. when I first saw the reveal trailer at the game awards i was all like "oh snap who was that guy?" and I was pretty excited to see what role this character would play in the story. fast forward to release and his character did nothing for me. he is yet another anime edge lord (like we needed another one of those) with highlights in his hair (in the 15th century?) even the edge lords we already had have more character than he does. I think he fits more in UNDER NIGHT or BlazeBlue than he does SC. his weapon style is probably the most redeeming thing about him. 4/10

While I agree with Spell the intentional dramatic pauses are super cheesy, I kind of love how campy the dialogue is in this entry. SC has always toed that line between melodrama and absurdity. I just don't think I can take anything these characters say all that seriously with the SCIV anime uncanny valley faces they have.

My (alongside two friends) reactions, thoughts, speculations, and whatnot on the Cassandra and season pass 2 reveals!

Timestamps:
00:00 - Cassandra impressions
08:09 - Video clips of a few Cassandra moves compared to other games
13:12 - A look at miscellaneous Cassandra-related images (her mask, Lost Swords release, etc).
17:26 - Thoughts on Cassandra's story mode (major spoilers!)
25:01 - Comparison of Cassandra's design in each game
32:48 - Season 2 trailer (also includes speculation on season 2 DLC characters)

I can't fucking take this "installed as part of the season pass but not owned" BS with Cassandra. Should I just buy her outright, or will that glitch, too?

Back