Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Am I the only one who likes the open-ended, "what if?" nature of classic fighting game stories? The "overarching" plot is whatever. Fighting games just need an interesting premise/setting and memorable/likable characters. Spoiler: The overarching plot is always going to be "what will set up a sequel?" The story content that's actually cool to me is learning more about the characters and then seeing different scenarios play out with those characters. The coolest character moments in SoulCalibur history were in the endings of SC1~3, and most of them are non-cannon. So what? They're still memorable satisfying and effective, which is what a good story should be. The shift towards telling a single "comprehensive" story is stupid for fighting games.

I'm not too bothered about the story either way, since it's a fighting game and the writers clearly aren't the most adept, but admittedly I do prefer a comprehensive and tied up narrative in comparison to one with alternative "routes", no matter what genre of game. It's fun to watch the events play out with more context though, since as a kid I always liked to read up on the lore. It's nothing amazing in my opinion, but it scratches an itch that still lasts from my childhood.

Got to be honest, the core plot of SC5 story is good but it's execution and spiritual downgrade characters just left a massive pile of shit on it. The idea that Patroklos and Pyrrha overcome the will of the spirit swords with their own will is an endearing one and is nice progression of Algol's will to wield the spirit sword without it consuming him from SC4. This might sound sacrilege to the story board fans but if this silver age ever gets a retelling then the new kids need to have their personalities changed to make them more likable and interesting, specifically Patroklos because he's a massive unlikable cunt in story mode.

If we aren't going to do a retelling of the silver age then I'm more than happy to just have the golden age end with the story events of SC4 as it's pretty much the climax of the saga for all the characters. If SC7 covers the events of SC2, SC3 and SC4 then I don't know what SC8 could follow up on, Project Soul can't keep on recycling the struggles just to keep characters relevant, character arcs must end for all at some point.
I believe they’re going to alter the original story and draw it out. Fill in holes and add details where necessary to flesh out the story and make it make at least a little bit more sense. If they’re smart they’re going to avoid revisiting the “silver age” by translating story beats to the cast we actually like. For example, rather than Pyrrha and Patroklos becoming hosts to the swords, I could see Sophitia and Cassandra taking up arms against each other. Tira and Raphael could play similar roles as they did in SCV and Amy can fully transform to Viola.

Does this sort of mockery come effortlessly to you or do you have to really work at it?
After all this time, and after getting direct confirmation on multiple occasions, the fact that she's still trying to argue that this isn't a reboot and we're heading to SCV is completely and utterly ridiculous. Furthermore, I don't even get why she keeps arguing in favor of it. What was so great about SCV? Its legacy is that it almost killed the series, and you'll have to forgive me if I'm not buying the whole "people will accept SCV if they explain it better!" crap. They literally just rebuilt the good will between them and the general fanbase. The last thing they should do is break it again.

Most people accepted it was a reboot when Okubo said it was. Even more accepted it was a reboot when Zasalamel's secret chapter flipped the script. Everyone accepted it was a reboot when Cassandra met the original version of herself. Not her.

So yeah, it's worth some memes.

I’d imagine they’re going to touch the SCV era down the line or a route similar to that (as hinted in the Cass Soul Chronicle). But from there I suspect most of the original cast will be able to make it through the skip (ie the characters cut out such as Taki, Talim, Xianghua, Zasalamel, etc...), Sophie surviving, Cass not becoming trapped in Astral Chaos, a fresh take that fixes up what went wrong with Pyrrha and Pattycakes, Amy’s transformation into Viola combined with her amnesia shortly after, Kilik keeping his staff, and Azwel becoming the new mastermind behind the scenes. Granted, this does feel like a bit of a pill to swallow and a lot of thinking that they would do it like that. But hey, this is just pure speculation after all.

I think Cass' story pretty much leaves the door wide open for "retconning" future events, such as SC V. And now, there's an in story explanation for why the timeline diverges.

I think most people don't have a problem with the "kids" from SC V. it was how the story "treated" their parents/SC veterans. For example, Pat and Pyrrha's story meant Sophie died, which is sad, and Cassandra was absent from SC V. Xiba and Lexia's story meant that Xianghua and Kilik got together, but broke up, with Xianghua having another kid with a different guy.

concerning the "resurrection" thing from okubo.
The game series was dead for 4-6 years. That's a long time for any character so it could be anyone.

Li Long: gone for 22 years from the story. 13 years since SC3AE
Hwang: gone for 20 years from the story. 13 years since SC3AE
Yunseong, Setsuka, Rock, Lizardman: gone for 10 years, style for Sets in V.
Dampierre, Aeon, Algol: gone for 7 years.
Hilde: gone for 5 years (lost swords)

So resurrection can apply to many characters!
If we exclude Arcade Edition aside since it isn't accessible to everyone, you can look at this from this perpective:

Li Long: Gone since 6 main games.
Hwang: Gone since 5 main games.
Rock: Gone since 2 main games.
Yun-Seong: Gone since 2 main games.
Aeon: Gone since 1 main game.
Hilde: Gone since 1 main game.
Algol: Gone since 1 main game.
Dampierre: Gone since 1 main game.

"Resurrection" seem like a word used for someone who has been gone long relative to other characters and that points towards Li Long and Hwang. I was also the cynical one last year that started to doubt Hwang's inclusion in the game but the hints for this one is just too great to actually doubt it. Using "fukkatsu" otherwise known as "resurrection", "revival", "comeback", or "resurgence" in English to describe the first character while also giving a yellow backdrop which alludes to Hwang whose name can be interpreted as Yellow in Korean really further points to Hwang. Like I said, if it isn't Hwang then we were purposely jebaited. (Granted, Okube jebaited a large audience when he alluded to the end of SoulCalibur VI before he announced a Season 2 mere seconds after doing so).

Would you guys be interested in new characters inspired from prehistorical America Aztecs/Incas/Mays Eras?

I had a discussion with some anon about this a while back.

Me: It would be great if the next game added a Aztec Warrior.
Anon: But the Aztec and their culture are all dead.
Me: Let the Aztec character be a remnant of his tribe, searching for Soul Edge to take revenge on Spain and reclaim his land from them.

Also I would like him to be burly like the Aztec warrior from that Smite game.
Aztec Warrior Large.jpg

Yes but probably because i've wanted them to throw Ogre into this game for a long time now. Kotal Kahn is pretty badass too.
Bruh, I want them to throw Ancient Ogre (alongside Kunimitsu and Ganryu) in Tekken 7 for a long time now but it doesn't look like that's happening. Characters I like tend to be forgotten by Bandai Namco.

But if they do add Ancient Ogre in SoulCalibur then I honestly see his moveset being similar to Necrid, Aeon, or a mix of both where he's a fire breathing Necrid. Of course, they will also give him a lot of the moves he had in Tekken.

I'm mainly just interested in a new female character, both because the two we have are male, and because when's the last time we had one that actually stuck around? It's been a while.

So whatever they do, I just hope it's the case.

If we exclude Arcade Edition aside since it isn't accessible to everyone, you can look at this from this perpective:

Li Long: Gone since 6 main games.
Hwang: Gone since 5 main games.
Rock: Gone since 2 main games.
Yun-Seong: Gone since 2 main games.
Aeon: Gone since 1 main game.
Hilde: Gone since 1 main game.
Algol: Gone since 1 main game.
Dampierre: Gone since 1 main game.

"Resurrection" seem like a word used for someone who has been gone long relative to other characters and that points towards Li Long and Hwang. I was also the cynical one last year that started to doubt Hwang's inclusion in the game but the hints for this one is just too great to actually doubt it. Using "fukkatsu" otherwise known as "resurrection", "revival", "comeback", or "resurgence" in English to describe the first character while also giving a yellow backdrop which alludes to Hwang whose name can be interpreted as Yellow in Korean really further points to Hwang. Like I said, if it isn't Hwang then we were purposely jebaited. (Granted, Okube jebaited a large audience when he alluded to the end of SoulCalibur VI before he announced a Season 2 mere seconds after doing so).
Your first two items are incorrect, even if we exclude SCIII:AE; Hwang and Li Long were both in SCIII:CE. Still, they remain the longest-absent characters on your list, at 3 mainline games each.

Last edited:
like Kotal Kahn?? maybe

Yes for exemple, as also Kotal looks pretty cool.

Yes but probably because i've wanted them to throw Ogre into this game for a long time now. Kotal Kahn is pretty badass too.

Yes Ogre have that kind of vibe too. I like when characters have cultural/prehistorical identities that exist or existed. Guess it's one of the reason why i can get much into a character like Groh.

I had a discussion with some anon about this a while back.

Me: It would be great if the next game added a Aztec Warrior.
Anon: But the Aztec and their culture are all dead.
Me: Let the Aztec character be a remnant of his tribe, searching for Soul Edge to take revenge on Spain and reclaim his land from them.

Also I would like him to be burly like the Aztec warrior from that Smite game.

"Anon: But the Aztec and their culture are all dead."

Lol i mean they don't have to be 100% accurate either.

That design looks pretty good, i actually think that Smite characters overall have interesting design and i remember a lot of them would fit pretty well SC universe in term of design. Not saying anything about guests but there may be some interesting inspiration PS may take from here.

Last edited:
I’d imagine they’re going to touch the SCV era down the line or a route similar to that (as hinted in the Cass Soul Chronicle). But from there I suspect most of the original cast will be able to make it through the skip (ie the characters cut out such as Taki, Talim, Xianghua, Zasalamel, etc...), Sophie surviving, Cass not becoming trapped in Astral Chaos, a fresh take that fixes up what went wrong with Pyrrha and Pattycakes, Amy’s transformation into Viola combined with her amnesia shortly after, Kilik keeping his staff, and Azwel becoming the new mastermind behind the scenes. Granted, this does feel like a bit of a pill to swallow and a lot of thinking that they would do it like that. But hey, this is just pure speculation after all.
The heavy implication is that SCV is a future that needs to be prevented, ie one described as "dark and cruel". I doubt they're ever jumping 17 years again. Just a hunch. Maybe some elements will get rebooted in the NT, but not the whole.

Your first two items are incorrect, even if we exclude SCIII:AE; Hwang and Li Long were both in SCIII:CE. still, they remaint he longest-absent characters on your list, at 3 mainline games each.
I too doubt that's the context. "Resurrection" can just mean a character who's absent, and there was a long gap between SCV and SCVI.

If it was a female character with this concept, I would prefer something that refers to sacrifices and rituals, a sickle would suit her well, they could use Chester's moveset on her.
foice_pirata_pequena_3417_1_20150618235810.jpg

If is man I preferred a spear & shield, using a club or ax would be practically a new skin for Rock.

Last edited:
I am thinking back on the reveal, and I don't think a new character is in the cards.

Why? Because if there was a new character to be revealed, they would have shown them off already. Look at Tekken 7. The first hook of the new pass is that there is a brand new character being added.

But with the SC6 s2 pass the hook is haohmaru. He is the big deal, and they won't upstage up.

Back