Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

RE is a good mechanic. I think for SC7 it can be argued if the wager mini game part is necessary or not (I don't mind if it stays, also I won't cry if it doesn't), yet the intitial attack deflection with meter gain/self guard gauge damage part should absolutely return in all SC sequels from now on.

Mechanically speaking SC5 was really good and yes, RE is very detrimental to SC6. I feel its either outright disliked, abused or tolerated but i really dont see how anyone can actually feel its a legitimately good mechanic for the game. SC5 made particular big improvements over SC4, which was customization options, netcode and online features. It really was pretty damn good when you compare it like that. It just fucked up characters and story really bad... which i guess i understand why a lot of people would be annoyed with that but then again... at the end of the day a fighting game is a fighting game and it kind of needs to function properly. The other stuff people usually find in other genres so it becomes less of a focus.

...i really dont see how anyone can actually feel its a legitimately good mechanic for the game.
A fighting game is supposed to be fun and balanced at every skill level simultaneously and GIs are simply not viable at low skill levels and sometimes even beyond. You can't expect noobs to casually pull off precise timings like that. Also, like it or not, casual gamers are the majority of players at pretty much any game. The result is that at low skill levels without RE and with GIs being non-viable you lose most of the reasons to ever use break attacks which also leads to guard gauge mechanics becoming obsolete 90% of the time, at which point a major chunk of important game mechanics becomes a dead weight most people never use, which is a terrible design. RE being a poor man's GI negates the problem completely, opening break attack and guard gauge metagame to everyone.
TL;DR: think of the scrubs, they are 90% of your player base.

SCV is still my favorite game of the series.
I think from an artistic point of view the game is beautiful. I love the stages and the fact it had night and day and rain. There was a softness to its look that I liked. The costume designs were top notch and the fact that everyone had 2ps (besides Apat and Oprah).
As far as mechanics go I like brave edges more than soul charge tbh. Just guard was great but it really shouldn't have given so much frame advantage.

SC6 is a great game but it needs work in creation imo. I also dont like you're forced into the RE game or the fact you can kill someone off of that. Also is it me but does quickstep not existent in this game? I loved it in SC5. Sc6 shows great potential for what a really good soul calibur game can be. It's almost the complete package imo

My biggest issue with SC5 is the decision to strip down character movesets. SC6 pretty much fixed that and removed the bloated mess that it was in SC4 by unifying the moveset across characters (though Haohmaru seems to be deviating from that philosophy with his 3K being a special low). Characters being so limited with their options in SC5 forces you to play a particular way. Some people like that but for me, characters become stale to play after a short while and feel like they're incomplete characters. Some of that incompleteness has transferred over to SC6 (Taki for example compared to SC2/SC3), but hopefully with updates that point will be moot.

TL;DR: think of the scrubs, they are 90% of your player base.
Scrub Lives Matter. :P

On the subject of Taki, I’m still not sure what exactly happened there. Natsu, from the pared down movesets game, felt more complete and robust than SoulCalibur VI Taki did at launch or does now.

The problem with Taki is that they kept striping away her moves from previous games. I was a casual at the time when I mained her in SC2 but I understood how free flowing her attacks were. I could do thee hit combos with any combination of horizontal and vertical attacks, plus her kicks have combo mixups on top of that. Not exactly rocket science gameplay but the fundamentals were there where if my opponent was either walking sideways or ducking, I could just enter the correct command to punish. I do like the changes they've made to Taki in other areas but god dammit, bring back all her neutral strings.

The problem with Taki is that they kept striping away her moves from previous games. I was a casual at the time when I mained her in SC2 but I understood how free flowing her attacks were. I could do thee hit combos with any combination of horizontal and vertical attacks, plus her kicks have combo mixups on top of that. Not exactly rocket science gameplay but the fundamentals were there where if my opponent was either walking sideways or ducking, I could just enter the correct command to punish. I do like the changes they've made to Taki in other areas but god dammit, bring back all her neutral strings.
I’d arguably say Taki has become much better than how she was at launch. She was basically bottom 5 at that time. But now, she’s been given more to work with. And even with her flaws, she’s become more usable to the point I’d wouldn’t classify her as garbage anymore, kinda like Astaroth and Cervantes. Granted, Taki is usually regarded among the more difficult characters in SC6 to use properly, much like Voldo, Maxi, and Raphael.
Can we wait until every character won a major to say that everyone's viable?
Not every character has to win a major to be considered competitively viable. We’ve all seen what the cast can really do when played in the right hands. EVO 2019 brought quite possibly the most diverse Top 8 in SC history all the way back in S1, with each player using a different character. Bluegod using Azwel, Yuttoto using Voldo, Skyll with Mitsu, Woahzz using Raphael and so on.

I have no problem with reversal edge as a concept, but I think in execution it should take far less time to complete, and it should give far less meter than it does. I also question whether Soul Calibur in particular needed something to help out newer players as opposed to a game like Tekken, where the skill gap is much greater for new players and where combos do more damage and are harder to pull off.

I’d arguably say Taki has become much better than how she was at launch. She was basically bottom 5 at that time. But now, she’s been given more to work with. And even with her flaws, she’s become more usable to the point I’d wouldn’t classify her as garbage anymore, kinda like Astaroth and Cervantes. Granted, Taki is usually regarded among the more difficult characters in SC6 to use properly, much like Voldo, Maxi, and Raphael.

Difficulty isn't my argument though, my point is that she isn't as free flowing as she was in SC2. My grievances are similar to those who have grievances with SFV in that there's no freedom, her gameplan is very linear. Her Possession and Stalker tools are fantastic and a lot of fun in SC6 but they can be incredibly circumstantial in comparison to the neutral game.

Not every character has to win a major to be considered competitively viable. We’ve all seen what the cast can really do when played in the right hands. EVO 2019 brought quite possibly the most diverse Top 8 in SC history all the way back in S1, with each player using a different character. Bluegod using Azwel, Yuttoto using Voldo, Skyll with Mitsu, Woahzz using Raphael and so on.
Even then, you would still have better luck winning a tourney with, Siegfried or Soph instead of, say, with someone like Groh, Astaroth or whatever joke character happens to be in the game.

My biggest issue with SC5 is the decision to strip down character movesets. SC6 pretty much fixed that and removed the bloated mess that it was in SC4 by unifying the moveset across characters (though Haohmaru seems to be deviating from that philosophy with his 3K being a special low). Characters being so limited with their options in SC5 forces you to play a particular way. Some people like that but for me, characters become stale to play after a short while and feel like they're incomplete characters. Some of that incompleteness has transferred over to SC6 (Taki for example compared to SC2/SC3), but hopefully with updates that point will be moot.

Correct.

Absolutely correct and agreed completely.

Back