Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

What would you prefer as an alternative to build meter besides RE?

Edit: I also noticed you rank SCVI significantly below SCV, what could they do to elevate SCVI above it for you?
That’s the thing, I don’t feel there is a need for a dedicated mechanic to build meter. SoulCalibur V didn’t have one, and it was fine. You gain meter from doing nearly anything, but just playing the game normally. Reversal Edge as some hyper accelerated way to gain meter just comes across as unnecessary.

And SoulCalibur VI isn’t “significantly” below SoulCalibur V for me, no. They’re about neck and neck, just for very different reasons. Unless we are speaking only mechanically, then that does widen the gap somewhat. Reversal Edge is kind of a biggish thing, but I’m also not a fan of the overbearing flashiness of the visual effects which turn the screen into a fireworks display or the unnecessary gimmicks like Cassandra’s Divine Force or how glowy things get like Siegfried’s hand, Mitsurugi’s flame effect buff, Hilde’s charged up weapons, etc., the issue to me is SoulCalibur VI just feels very extra, where it would be far better if it were more minimalist.

You gain meter from doing nearly anything, but just playing the game normally. Reversal Edge as some hyper accelerated way to gain meter just comes across as unnecessary.

Do a Reversal Edge read and use A+B. Every single character gets a lethal hit off it leading to massive combo damage, your opponent will stop using RE once they realize it's no working in their favour.

Do a Reversal Edge read and use A+B. Every single character gets a lethal hit off it leading to massive combo damage, your opponent will stop using RE once they realize it's no working in their favour.
I perfectly understand that. My point is that it’s so easy to shut down, and also its utilitarian purpose is hardly needed, that it could just be cut and barely missed. The few times when it does land are more annoying than anything else, having to deal with the broken pace.

But as has been pointed out elsewhere, while that reaction should be what happens, it doesn’t, and people will just keep using it and wonder what the problem is, get frustrated, and quit. "Why doesn’t the parry everything move work against the electric attacks?!?!" is all that goes through their heads.

I think reversal edge is fine but there should be a way to get out of it without cus I hate matches where it's a nonstop RE fest. But to be fair some people "spam" guard impacts.

Should that mechanic be touched up too? Honestly people who fucking throw out re and gis like crazy have a one track mind. Slow down the pace and watch them whiff a GI or charge up a RE like crazy.

It's an okay mechanic I just hate it can kill you and theres no way to get out of it besides blocking and hoping ur guard doesnt break.

Why isn't RE limited to once per round?

I feel like that would make seeing it much more special because it actually had to connect and you only get one chance per round. That would be hype in tournaments.

Does anyone feel like breaking out of grabs is made way easier in this game (compared to 5)? I felt like breaking out of them in 5 was a tough thing to do, and usually you needed to read them, where in this game offline I can almost always react and break the grab in time.

Does anyone feel like breaking out of grabs is made way easier in this game (compared to 5)? I felt like breaking out of them in 5 was a tough thing to do, and usually you needed to read them, where in this game offline I can almost always react and break the grab in time.
They increased the grab break window on all throws in version 1.30 except on unbreakable throws and Ivy’s Calamity Symphony. So yes, it is generally easier to get out of grabs compared to previous games.

I'm guessing Hwang was going to be revealed during Evo finals to end the season, like Cassandra. Not sure how closely theyll still follow that if theres no Evo to reveal him at....

Back