Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Anybody ever feel like the weapons look like toys more than weapons?
I meant toyish as in they don't look like real weapons.
For sure, but it's really part and parcel of the overall trend of the series towards a more comprehensively anime fantasy aesthetic. It's evident not just in the newer weapon designs but also the character designs, CaS assets assets, and even (most unfortunately) the stage design: for all of these elements there has been a marked turn towards the fanciful, exaggerated and unfortunately thus often silly designs. I've been uploading large numbers of characters to CaS galleries here this last week, and it's really underscored a few things that I had long observed but which have been hard not to particularly observe during such a process. For one, it becomes immediately obvious when staring at the backdrops that SCIV was the peak of the series trend towards photorealism--staring at a photo of Sailor's Rest right after and before the anime-infused levels and creation screens of SCV and SCVI really drives that point home.

I think in many cases these elements were actually more pronounced in SCV, where the colour palette became more saturated (and focused less on natural tones and more on eye-catching purples and reds) and yet simultaneously more simple in the colour variety of the textures. I've always perceived this to be the fingerprints of Daishi and his team, as there is certainly something very Street Fighter in all of this. In some respects some of these elements have been scaled back as a consequence of the return to the classic narrative forcing many of the character designs and other elements to go retro, but in other respects they have doubled down.

I'm not a huge fan of the trend, if I am honest, and in some respects I think we get a worst of all worlds approach in SCVI--the stages, for example, have more realistic textures than in SCV, but still do not have the sense of depth or clarity (even aside from the blurring) nor the sense of majesty and realistic beauty of SCIV stages--and yet at the very same time, they are also stripped bare of the activity, immersion, and interaction that peaked in SCV as one of its silver linings. The character designs are a more mixed bag. Putting aside the aesthetics of the outright new characters (which could not be more noveau anime if they tried, and to my mind are extremely silly), the legacy characters are actually mostly looking more like their classic selves in the majority of cases--with the same caveat that I am talking about the conceptual look of their designs and recognizing that the textures and visual fidelity are still prone to the same down-scaled detail that has been prevalent post-SCIV. And of course the weapons, as you got the ball rolling with here, tend to be more flimsy/fragile looking for speedier (and female characters in particular), while the bruisers have ever more cumbersome looking options, by and large.

All of this is more than a little nit-picky of course, and some of the trends go back to the earliest games and cannot be leveled solely at the more recent developers, but it's my long-winded way of saying that yes, I recognize what you're talking about, and then some.

Last edited:
But even beyond what you’ve just said, it was noted just after release, and is still true today, that some of the weapons that looked relatively fine before look terribly plasticky now, such as Cervantes’s Phlegethon, for a particularly egregious example.

SC2 still the best weapon feeling imo, other games that nailed that aspect is dark souls, or just fromsoftware games overall, in Dark Souls it's almost like you can smell the steel of the weapons and shields.

Jian swords do wobble though.
Sort of: as @Klimat points out, it is more of a trope/affectation in wushu dramas and live performances than something based in actual historical precedent: the degree of flexibility one sees in these sources and applications would have been impossible to achieve with historical metallurgy and forging techniques and even if it had existed, would have made the weapon completely unsuitable to the rigors of actual combat.

But even beyond what you’ve just said, it was noted just after release, and is still true today, that some of the weapons that looked relatively fine before look terribly plasticky now, such as Cervantes’s Phlegethon, for a particularly egregious example.
It might be the game engine. If they just ported the models in with no tweaks, something could've gotten off with the shaders and lighting calculations.

It might be the game engine. If they just ported the models in with no tweaks, something could've gotten off with the shaders and lighting calculations.
Yup--I'd say that's almost certainly what is happening here. Object files are essentially bitmaps stretched over a wire frame: transplant them into emulation by a completely different engine and they are bound to look a little different. Of course, some degree of tweaking/QA is always done by the devs during this process, but we all know that when it comes to the visual fidelity of this game, many things have been done in a somewhat slapdash fashion. Now personally, I don't spend that much time analyzing specific textures on specific objects on the level being discussed here, but to the extent that others here attest to a look to the textures that is more glossy, it probably is just as you say: the shaders are simply causing the luminosity and contrast of the textures to render differently.

It certainly shows it’s true colours by the time you hit the A ranks.
I won't get there. I hadn't played in awhile, so I see they changed it from relying on consectutive wins. But it looks like I gain more points on a win from someone the same rank as me, than someone higher ranked? And I lose more points fighting my rank, than the lower ranks? What sense does that not make? A single loss against someone my rank can put me back several matches.

IMO, it should just be that you gain points, or gain zero points on a loss. A win against any rank should net you a specific number points, rather than it being based off your rank (like a win against a F1 is 100 points, but a win against a B1 is 500points or something). The path to gaining rank is already exponential.

The Questions (Options)
  1. What is the title of the infamous opening track in Soul Edge? (To Shine, The Edge of Soul, Soul Calibur or Shower Me With Power)
  2. Who was NOT a bonus character in SoulCalibur IV? (Shura, Scheherazade, Ashlotte or Aurelia)
  3. Which character has NOT wielded Soul Edge? (Patroklos, Siegfried, Cervantes or Pyrrha)
  4. Which character debuted in SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny? (Viola, Z.W.E.I., Dampierre or Elysium)
  5. Who is the only character to have been playable in EVERY Soul game? (Sophitia, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu or Ivy)
  6. Which of these platforms DIDN’T have a SoulCalibur game? (PSP, Wii, Xobx 360 or DS)
  7. What is the name of Siegfried’s most commonly used weapon throughout the series? (Requiem, Claymore, Glam or Caladbolg)
  8. What is the name of Sophitia’s husband? (Aenas, Erato, Rothion or Kronos)
  9. Who created the Soul Calibur? (Zasalamel, Algol, Nightmare or Edge Master)
  10. What is Lizardman’s real name? (Aeon, Aegunus, Aenas or Arsenios)

The Questions
  1. What is the title of the infamous opening track in Soul Edge?
  2. Who was NOT a bonus character in SoulCalibur IV?
  3. Which character has NOT wielded Soul Edge?
  4. Which character debuted in SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny?
  5. Who is the only character to have been playable in EVERY Soul game?
  6. Which of these platforms DIDN’T have a SoulCalibur game?
  7. What is the name of Siegfried’s most commonly used weapon throughout the series?
  8. Who created the Soul Calibur?
  9. What is Lizardman’s real name?
My answers:
  1. The Edge of Soul
  2. Aurelia
  3. Patroklos
  4. Dampierre
  5. Mitsurugi
  6. DS
  7. Requiem
  8. Rothion
  9. Algol
  10. Aeon

The Questions (Options)
  1. What is the title of the infamous opening track in Soul Edge? (To Shine, The Edge of Soul, Soul Calibur or Shower Me With Power)
  2. Who was NOT a bonus character in SoulCalibur IV? (Shura, Scheherazade, Ashlotte or Aurelia)
  3. Which character has NOT wielded Soul Edge? (Patroklos, Siegfried, Cervantes or Pyrrha)
  4. Which character debuted in SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny? (Viola, Z.W.E.I., Dampierre or Elysium)
  5. Who is the only character to have been playable in EVERY Soul game? (Sophitia, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu or Ivy)
  6. Which of these platforms DIDN’T have a SoulCalibur game? (PSP, Wii, Xobx 360 or DS)
  7. What is the name of Siegfried’s most commonly used weapon throughout the series? (Requiem, Claymore, Glam or Caladbolg)
I got 9 out of 10 cause fuck Siegfried. When asked about his sword i immediately though of his Claymore from SB. Fast Sieg was fun to use.

This gives me an idea. It would be fun to make a really hard version with like 40 or 50 questions that go in depth.

My answers:
  1. The Edge of Soul
  2. Aurelia
  3. Patroklos
  4. Dampierre
  5. Mitsurugi
  6. DS
  7. Requiem
  8. Rothion
  9. Algol
  10. Aeon
These were my answers as well, except for number one, which I thought was "To Shine". Or at least that's the main refrain of the song; I couldn't swear as to its title--is the actual name of the song 'The Edge of Soul'?

This gives me an idea. It would be fun to make a really hard version with like 40 or 50 questions that go in depth.
Ruh-roh, Soul: from those instant reactions, coming from whom they did, I think you just nominated yourself for a lore deep-dive. And coming up with a 50 question SoulCalibur lore test that Dante and Lisa will consider both difficult and in-depth is going to be no easy matter. If it doesn't involve the colour of the lacquer on Genki's armour circa 1578, it's probably not detailed and obscure enough to trip these ladies up! And that's if Tres doesn't get involved! :D

Last edited:
I was mostly surprised that the question maker remembered Aeneas:

latest

And it’s very weird that they ship him with Sophitia and might think he’s a lizard person.

The Questions (Options)
Passed with flying colors.

Back