SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Cassandra was always very different than S ophitia and unique in her own way, yet somehow, in this game, uniqueness will suddenly be a problem between the two.

For real, Cassandra has been very different to Sophitia from the beginning. She's never been a clone, so why would she be one now?
Just don't treat her like a joke character, like they did in IV (that Critical Finish was the absolute worst) and give her some of Patty's moves so that they aren't lost forever.

Every returning character so far seems to be improved and I'm excited.

Zasalamel getting a reveal this early was surprising (ahead of other Soul Calibur 1 stalwarts like Taki / Maxi / Astaroth / Cervy / Voldo).

Any thoughts as to why ?
You know, I might be overthinking it, but I think it has to do with the fact that he could be the big bad of this game, he might/might not be the final boss, but I can see him pulling the strings behind the scenes.

He sounds the same to me.

Are you talking about his japanese or english VA? his english one is most definitely Keith Silverstein, not only because I'm very familiar with his work, but also because his voice is so recognizable coming from Zasalamel, as for the japanese one, I honestly can't tell, I remember him having the same voice actor as Feng Wei from Tekken, but I barely use the japanese dub for games Zasalamel was in.
Chiming in real quick to say Zas has the same as before.
That's part of how I knew he'd be back....

Zasalamel getting a reveal this early was surprising (ahead of other Soul Calibur 1 stalwarts like Taki / Maxi / Astaroth / Cervy / Voldo).

Any thoughts as to why ?
Story reasons.
And probably Valentine's Day month and black history month being in February and both had enough work done to show them off likely had a factoring in as part of it too.

Also, I'm probably going against my own better judgement here even bothering to say anything about it, but I think people don't want to admit that Ivy is a character where no matter what they do, they'll always get complaints from people. Even when they made her default on SCV the most covered up, there was still complaining that she wasn't wearing enough.
It's best for the developers to just do what the hell they want with her because caring too much about what people think will never please everyone to begin with as evidence has already shown. Furthermore, it's not like her being a showy dominatrix in sexy outfits isn't part of her gimmick to begin with. That's a legacy factor of her. If you don't get that by now, you never will.
The truth in all this is you should be happy that she doesn't look strung out anymore like on IV and V and her moveset looks beautiful and in my opinion amazing.
But if what you care too much about is that you want her in more clothes.... you do know what customization was for, right? People like you. They got you covered. Same with people who want to see characters in less clothing.
Be appreciative this series actually even has that.
I don't love Zasalamel's big ass pauldrons this time around, but if I want to try something different with his outfit, I can do that thanks to customization. Try to find what makes you happy about these two (and the game's character designs in general) and what doesn't, you can at least experiment around with.

Last edited:
With Zasalamel returning, and undoubtedly Tira and Astaroth, I think I'm beginning to see where they want to take the story now and it definitely seems like it'll be more in a direction that the Soul series has always struggled with; an actual bonafide villainous organization.

Sure, Soul Calibur has touted in the past with the Cult of Ares, Lizardmen and all, but where SC3 actually gave us a full-on follower for Nightmare in the form of Tira, the series has never really given us a strong villainous front. There's obvious villains, but never have they really truly felt organized or menancing enough to be a credible. More or less, aside from Tira, the villains are basically doing their own villain thing.

This of course, also brings up the issue of whether Ares will continue to be retconned out of the series from SC2 onwards or if he'll have another role. One wonders if Groh's father will end up being the mastermind of this new villainous bunch and if that's the case, I can kinda see who and who isn't coming back for SC6's initial roster. Zasalamel's role in this retelling may be less personal and more overarching as he may end up being the so-called "Edgemaster"/Guide in bringing the heroes together to defeat Soul Edge, or perhaps manipulate the inevitable conflict.

As a small aside, I don' t think Z is connected with the Aval organization, and to once again reiterate, Zasalamel is not Egyptian, but Sumarian. Ancient Uruk, Iraq. The names of all his moves are a key indicator of his origins and always have been. The Aval Organization seems to be rooted in Nordic realms but could have originated elsewhere, but Zasalamel - if he were a member of the organization, even its Grandmaster - probably would have had some iconography in his character art, and there's no indication of that.

I think it was a given that they'd reveal one of the SCII/III characters early, Zas is probably the best choice for that since he or even his fighting style weren't in SCVI (so people can get excited about his return).

Plus tmost of the others styles missing from SCVI are girls (particularly Talim, but also sort-of Mina and Cassandra) so Zas is the only one that means they can do a reveal of one guy and one girl.

Also he's just a cool guy with a great looking fighting style, so he's better to watch and see promote the game than, say, Raph or Yun.

They are probably working on most characters simultaneously at this point.
Which ones get revealed is likely a matter of which ones get finished sooner.
Both Ivy and Zas are "easy" to Animate in the sense that their movements are short and elegant.
Someone like Taki takes extra work because those moves can look really stupid if executed poorly.

That tweet makes me think ivy doesn’t have a conventional whip stance as in IV?

She does in the trailer her Sword State 3(A) transitioned to Whip State. 22_88(B) is one of the ways to enter Serpent's Embrace.

vlcsnap-2018-02-23-02h47m55s995.png

vlcsnap-2018-02-23-02h48m14s402.png

Character Profiles of Zas & Ivy
https://gematsu.com/2018/02/soulcalibur-vi-adds-ivy-zasalamel
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/684/1684463/

Wow, those Gematsu biographies are... bad. "The Souls Blade" instead of "Soul Blades" (seems more logical, but still a name which we've bearly heard in the Soul series...), and calling Soul Edge "Soul Blade" :/

She does in the trailer her Sword State 3(A) transitioned to Whip State. 22_88(B) is one of the ways to enter Serpent's Embrace.

View attachment 48491

View attachment 48492

Character Profiles of Zas & Ivy
https://gematsu.com/2018/02/soulcalibur-vi-adds-ivy-zasalamel
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/684/1684463/
I'll probably be in the minority, but I'm quite happy we are unlikely to have many stances of hers. I could also say that from the trailer, as her sword is never left in a whip state if you have a closer look, it turns back to a sword all the time. And the reason why I like it, that if you want to perform some really nice move, you don't need to worry about her stances or wait for the opportunity to turn the sword into a whip and only then perform it. She seems to have her Serpent's Embrace state however, so it's kind of a compromise between her SCV and SCIII fighting styles.

I'm trying to verify any bit of this information in particular with my main SCVI source who's been spot on so far, especially the very specific stuff they might be able to find out, vet and crossreference to give us all a better idea if this is true or not, but I wound up being contacted by someone new who claims to have a ton of Bandai Namco information today, making some pretty bold claims about various games, which I'll get into later elsewhere.

But they had Soul Calibur VI information to share, which included:
- The full roster as far as they knew will be 22 characters at launch with 6 more as DLC (their information was admitted to be around a month old, which they mentioned something of later as to something that did change since they last knew)
- Some specific characters they knew about included Hwang, Talim, Grøh's adoptive father is named Friderich, Maxi's lover named Jacker (and yes he is a guy), and Roronoa Zoro from the One Piece anime/manga as the guest.
- 3 of the 6 DLC characters they knew about included Zasalamel, Cervantes, and that there would be a female guest character in the pack, which they mentioned the Zasalamel as DLC plans obviously changed last month.

As I said, I'm currently in the process of trying to confirm any of this that's super specific like Jacker being the name of Maxi's lover, and if Friderich is the name of Grøh's papi for instance.
One thing I mentioned here last month was the rumblings of Zasalamel being changed to a launch roster character as he was originally DLC.
But wow if Cervantes is DLC, they really are being ballsy with this game's DLC choices....
Anyways, just take this new information with a grain of salt because it IS NOT FROM MY MAIN SOURCE aka the one who's been right on the money with this game so far. I am trying to see if any of this stuff lines up with my main source's info or if they can see if any of what this new person claims to have heard is legit.

Side thought: IF this new person's information is true, is this "Friderich" meant to be Frederick aka Siegfried's father? That would make Grøh Siegfried's brother. Not by blood since Grøh is the adoptive son as mentioned, but that's a very interesting monkey wrench thrown into the story now.

I'm trying to verify any bit of this information in particular with my main SCVI source who's been spot on so far, especially the very specific stuff they might be able to find out, vet and crossreference to give us all a better idea if this is true or not, but I wound up being contacted by someone new who claims to have a ton of Bandai Namco information today, making some pretty bold claims about various games, which I'll get into later elsewhere.

- The full roster as far as they knew will be 22 characters at launch with 6 more as DLC (their information was admitted to be around a month old, which they mentioned something of later as to something that did change since they last knew)
- Some specific characters they knew about included Hwang, Talim, Grøh's adoptive father is named Friderich, Maxi's lover named Jacker (and yes he is a guy), and Roronoa Zoro from the One Piece anime/manga as the guest.
- 3 of the 6 DLC characters they knew about included Zasalamel, Cervantes, and that there would be a female guest character in the pack, which they mentioned the Zasalamel as DLC plans obviously changed last month.

As I said, I'm currently in the process of trying to confirm any of this that's super specific like Jacker being the name of Maxi's lover, and if Friderich is the name of Grøh's papi for instance.
One thing I mentioned here last month was the rumblings of Zasalamel being changed to a launch roster character as he was originally DLC.
But wow if Cervantes is DLC, they really are being ballsy with this game's DLC choices....
Anyways, just take this new information with a grain of salt because it IS NOT FROM MY MAIN SOURCE aka the one who's been right on the money with this game so far. I am trying to see if any of this stuff lines up with my main source's info or if they can see if any of what this new person claims to have heard is legit.

Side thought: IF this new person's information is true, is this "Friderich" meant to be Frederick aka Siegfried's father? That would make Grøh Siegfried's brother. Not by blood since Grøh is the adoptive son as mentioned, but that's a very interesting monkey wrench thrown into the story now.
Cutting Cervantes would indeed be a bad idea, even if he is introduced later as a DLC. The Sieg/Grøh relationship might be interesting, but I guess Friderich would have been included in Grøh's biography. And if we get Zoro... Hopefully they'll remake him into a more realistic version, because having him as is would kinda break the design of characters (just like Angol Fear).

But as you said, nothing is to be taken seriously atm ^^

Groh being related to Siegfried would be weird.

But more importantly would retcon a lot of things. Siegfried killed his father BEFORE the events of Soul Edge. Frederick was the leader of Schwarzwind, Siegfried's former mercenary company prior to him running off and becoming Nightmare (and eventually rebanding in in SCV).

This basically sounds like a lot of poorly-sourced or understood information.

There is not much to say about Ivy, she's simply the absolute perfection.

And Dude Zasalamel looks Badass AF!!

Do you mean Jacker will be a playable character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back