SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been pointed out exhaustively to people, but whenever a new trailer hits, people still go nitpicking about everything.

Also, oh my God, the "Oh I can't see pores...yada yada." it is tired people, not every game needs or wants to be photorealistic, go play SC III if you hoenstly think the anime styled models started in IV, photorealism is not what they strive for in-game, it never was.

The Witcher is a older game but is also a game where the intricate character was the main character and the face of the series, of course he will look extremely polished in it.

Good choice. If they do more guests as DLC, let's hope they get the base roster sorted out first. Part of the reason I'm continuing to skip Tekken 7 is the focus on dudes like Geese and Noctis while classics like Lei, Julia, Anna, and especially Roger are still missing.

I don't know if I could handle that level of disappointment again with SoulCalibur.
Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllll.... I suppose I should open with some new information I got:
Geralt won't be the only guest character.
I don't have any information passed that. So it's unknown if the other guest will be launch or DLC, much less who they even are.
But I figured I'd open with the potentially controversial thing first since I know guest characters are a mileage may vary thing.
All I can say is that Tekken 7 taught them a lot of things. Which is funny considering Soul Calibur was the series originally known for that kind of thing thanks to SCII.

With many of the leaks being false we can throw the whole gay maxi, Hwang returning, and One piece guest character into the trash at last.
The gay Maxi thing originally came from my main source though. You know, the one who's been right.
I don't really have to comment too much further on that since it's not hard to find out where that came from when you read what I've said.
Frayhua even posted a screenshot of it that'll be part of this post too a little further down.

People are being exceptionally shallow and cruel towards TW3, it's an excellent game if you like RPGs, and if you aren't a fan of that type of game then can you really critique it objectively?
The Witcher series is known for having combat mechanics that are ass. The Witcher III had the best out of the 3 games, but it still wasn't great combat. I actually always make sure to tell people that because I cannot recommend those games in good conscience without mentioning that because you'll be doing quite a bit of it in-game.

Maxi will always be gay in my heart
Sounds like you're in luck then. ;)

Possibly

Characters confirmed by Namco/Characters leaked by Vergeben, but not confirmed yet(From his main source)

The 39 characters in SCVI leak is the best leak to go on now.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ok...est-characters-ivy.11790/page-10#post-4989110

View attachment 48681

Characters confirmed by Namco: Groh(New Character), Geralt (Guest), Mitsurugi, Sophitia, Nightmare, Xianghua, Kilik, Ivy, & Zas.

View attachment 48685

Characters leaked by Vergeben: Groh's Papi(New Character), Maxi, Siegfried, Taki, Talim, Cassandra, Astaroth, & Tira

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7niilu/leakileaks_part_ii_a_statement_of_previous_ones/

View attachment 48683
Peep the post here ^
Frayhua highlights what all I've leaked from my main SCVI source.
The only stuff that's left out is the update after that said 24 characters is likely the launch roster number as far as they heard.
Then of course there's the nixed characters thing.

Which they got into contact with someone I am not liable to say and refuse to, but they wanted to keep the surprise close to the chest, but giving them and thus me the information was to plant the seeds of excitement to prepare the fans for it since a ton of people online read that and were like "That sounds kind of like Geralt! I'd love to see Geralt in Soul Calibur!"
The long and short of it is that Geralt did inherit some of the general idea and research they did for the character they were thinking of doing that was a more realistic styled swordsman, as the research done on that original character idea's technique that he took was passed onto development on Geralt as he fights like a (mostly) realistic styled swordsman, but also includes unrealistic aspects (the way how he draws his swords and wields longswords one handed as proficiently with as much speed and force as you would twohanded because he's a mutant, but how he strikes is very realistic and grounded, based on real techniques) because that's ingrained to Geralt's actual character. And makes sense given he is, like I said, a mutant, and can use magic after all.

TL;DR they had an idea for a realistic swordsman, things happened in development that lead to scrapping that original character idea in favor of Geralt because popularity and monies was more important since there was a certain "mental connection" crossover with the idea that lead to them taking the general idea and research that was being done for the original character, for Geralt.
They told my main SCVI source about the scrapped character that originated ideas that were repurposed for Geralt intentionally to try and drum up excitement for Geralt because MARKETING. And not wanting to give everything away outright.
I guess I can't blame them.

@Vergeben Any word at all on Voldo? I just noticed you never mentioned him before.
I do find that a little odd that I still haven't. But I wouldn't press the panic button yet. Like I've said before, I don't know the whole roster yet.

Ever considered the box art might feel lacking because there's something missing?
Something unannounced?
It's possible. I'm not saying it's definitely happening since I'm in the same boat as anyone else here, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I wouldn't be surprised if that actually IS the finalized boxart though. But I hope not. Mainly because that logo is really unappealing in its current state. Especially the Soul Calibur and Soul Edge on the sides being those ugly shades of grey that blend in too much and don't pop out or catch the eye at all whatsoever.

Final Round scheduled
urfDh5t.png
Now the question on (most) everybody's minds
"But will there be SCVI Ivy cosplayers?"

Am I the only one who doesnt care lol Like what if the contrast/brightness settings were all fucked up?
Right! And if you have an issue with saturation/contrast/brightness on launch then just adjust your TV? Like...? I'm pretty sure all TV's have plenty of visual settings nowadays it wouldn't be a chore to flick a few buttons. Whatever.

No it isn't. Making two very vague guesses, one of which being one of the easiest guesses beyond "SCVI is eventually coming out", doesn't constitute a "leak" if one of those happens to cone true in the slightest capacity. If he said "Kaer Morhen is his stage" or "he uses Axii and Igni in his CE", then maybe I'd say he's legit, but calling Geralt is something that anybody paying any attention at all to TW3 would have guessed right.
To me, it seems like they deliberately struck some of the detail from his face to make him a little more in-line with the general aesthetic of the game. Were he a Tekken character, I imagine the visual fidelity would have been a lot better.
Have you seen Asuka or Nina in T7? Faces in that game are just as devoid of detail as this.
Ever considered the box art might feel lacking because there's something missing?
Something unannounced?
Amazon US updated, so that's the final box art. Amazon only ever updates once from the placeholder.

Last edited:
I'm not mad about that boxart, it seems pretty SC standard, the guest is there and so is Mitsu, who PS have a gay boner on and we all know it.

The DLC thing annoys me, I don't know if they really learned from Tekken as people are still pissed random as fuck characters are making into DLC and legacy ones aren't.

TL;DR they had an idea for a realistic swordsman, things happened in development that lead to scrapping that original character idea in favor of Geralt because popularity and monies was more important since there was a certain "mental connection" crossover with the idea that lead to them taking the general idea and research that was being done for the original character, for Geralt.
They told my main SCVI source about the scrapped character that originated ideas that were repurposed for Geralt intentionally to try and drum up excitement for Geralt because MARKETING.
It's clearly that SC character designers lack of ideas and very lazy (generic design of Groh is example). They could make original character better than Geralt but they can't. Copy paste someone who is more popular than make someone unique is clearly show that SC character designers can't design characters. I think that Namco should hire good character designer who can make good unique characters and will not copy paste someone because he can't make this character popular.

Project Soul want to attract Witcher 3 fans with tweets like Witcher 3 Complete Edition deals on PSN and putting Geralt on the cover to make him marketable because Witcher 3 was critically acclaimed.
Witcher 3 was critically acclaimed not because of Geralt, it was because it has large open world, great storytelling and dozens of hours of fun gameplay. It will not work because Witcher 3 is RPG and SC is fighting game.

I'm not mad about that boxart, it seems pretty SC standard, the guest is there and so is Mitsu, who PS have a gay boner on and we all know it.
Yeah, its totally not like Mitsurugi is one of the classic and most known characters of the franchise.

The DLC thing annoys me, I don't know if they really learned from Tekken as people are still pissed random as fuck characters are making into DLC and legacy ones aren't.
They sell regardless, just like what happened to the most recent Mortal Kombat and Injustice games, lots of people disliked the guests, yet they sold a lot, sometimes outselling legacy characters, so, yeah.

It's clearly that SC character designers lack of ideas and very lazy (generic design of Groh is example). They could make original character better than Geralt but they can't. Copy paste someone who is more popular than make someone unique is clearly show that SC character designers can't design characters. I think that Namco should hire good character designer who can make good unique characters and will not copy paste someone because he can't make this character popular.
Groh's design is not generic, point me one character that has all his features. Also, an original character similar to Geralt would never sell as much as Geralt himself will, I don't think you know how things work with business, darling, the option that brings more cash is taken.

Witcher 3 was critically acclaimed not because of Geralt, it was because it has large open world, great storytelling and dozens of hours of fun gameplay. It will not work because Witcher 3 is RPG and SC is fighting game.
Yeah, I mean, its totally not like Geralt is the center of the story and the gameplay, in addition to being literally the ONE known face of The Witcher franchise. Also, spare yourself from the embarassment of using "different genres" as an excuse, specially in this case, its a fucking action RPG, its extremely easy to transfer his moves to a fighting game.

About Geralt visual:
First of all, I belive that it will be not the final version of him. But The Witchers fans (and I am too) have to accept that we will probably have a different Geralt (about saturation/contrast/brightness... even textures) comparing to the original game. HE IS THE GUEST here, so he has to be adapted to SC visual design (that's what really matters for me) or it will get weird! As something out of context just a forced in the game to please the fans.

About artbox:
I really don't understand why people get worried about something that probably will be left inside a drawer!

About another guest:
If you intend to do this... please do it as DLC and not another one in main roster

Last edited:
New point: Both his swords get soul charged ? Will he dual wield ?
I don't know about dual wielding, but he does use both swords in the trailer. The blue weapon trail is the silver sword, the orange is the steel.
About another guest:
If you intend to do this... please do it as DLC and not another one in main roster
My gut feeling is that 2B in Soulcalibur mania hit them too late in the process and they're looking at bringing her in as DLC.

The Witcher's chain mail doesn't seem to have bump maps to refract light to give it a 3d appearance
View attachment 48678
It looks just like painted textures at the moment. I'm not an expert on these things, but it was very apparent to me.

Hopefully things get polished as we go. Hungry fans demand trailers, and I am in no way complaining (just pointing out the progression required at this stage of development).
There is normal mapping on the chain mail. It's more visible depending on the lighting, and since the actual mesh geometry is flat it won't ever look good up close, especially at an angle.

Here's an example showing very clear normal mapping on the chain mail material: https://abload.de/img/zas30000j6s5d.jpg

Chain mail looks the same in Witcher 3 screenshot: https://images-2.gog.com/3f665d320a3cdbb421ca628f84ef6eaac6eb0425cc8f994713fc887f6402e004.jpg

Actually, looking at that screenshot is pretty clear they based SC6 Geralt on that exact model.

Regarding my point earlier about Geralt looking washed out, someone has altered the saturation and I already call this an improvement. I would prefer some actual colours instead of earth shades but I would settle for this over the current muted direction.

The weird thing is that the screenshots released of Geralt looks much better than the trailer: https://s7-allgamesdelta.s-ul.eu/AGz48sUB

I wonder if they messed up capture settings when capturing footage for the trailer.

[...]but how he strikes is very realistic and grounded, based on real techniques) because that's ingrained to Geralt's actual character.

*watches Geralt do 5 pirouettes with each attack*

Hmm.

I kind of appreciate that we have a technically-literature character who fits in better than the blow-up pencil. Probably being harsh but in either case there'd be an outcry.

Geralt's prominence on the supposed box art is kind of misleading in that it would make you think it's a Witcher game.

And now we have three stages with snow. You'd think if there were any more guest characters we'd get Jon Snow... But it's starting to get overdone. Maybe there'd be an alternate version of certain stages toggled with a button press?

Last edited:
More than one guest? :/ I just... don't even know anymore. The roster is pathetic as it is, without taking up more than one slot with guest characters... I hope the "this isn't the final character select screen" means "we're totally reworking it and making the icons smaller to fit an ass-ton more characters on it" because right now this is kinda worrying.

If it's true we can't expect more than 24 characters at launch, well minus 2 of those for the apparent guests, minus another for the (hopefully) single mimic we'll likely get (I can't see us having none at all) and... that's 21... one more than we were thinking from the initial 20.

Sure the currently revealed characters are fine and I'm almost sure we can expect old favourites like Taki and Talim to appear, but even then, I have a bad feeling we're gonna have the second worst roster in the series (with SCV being the worst) in terms of sheer size alone. Even if the '8 DLC characters' thing is true, that's still only 32ish characters, which leaves a lot out.

I also hope the Stage Select screen grows in size too. I feel like that's the smallest amount of stages we've ever had :S The stages we have so far are great though so I have hopes for good quality stages in the future. I love the 'taken back by nature' look of the ruins where Geralt was revealed.

Still though, the phrase "they have learned from their mistakes" keeps sticking out in my mind and I can only hope that it's true. I'm trying to show as much trust in them as possible and give them a fair chance but I must admit it's getting harder over time.

As for the logo, I have no idea. It looks awful. SCV had such a stylized logo that looked nice on the box art and the title screen, but this looks... gah, just awful. The worst logo by far. I do like the box art though, even if it focuses too much on Geralt, but as others have said that kinda makes sense since the Guest is always one of the more prominent features.

Despite being a 'meh' game, SCV got the box art and logo right at least :) lol

[..]
You have no idea what you're talking about.

After having read quickly through the last posts: Geralt will probably be slightly altered, just like every other character, before release. His general appearance might not be pleasant at the moment but will probably improve by the day we get the game.

Also, about the rumoured second guest... hopefully as DLC, and not as that T7 fiasco that left out original characters and focused on guests...

Honestly, if I were the mole from Namco, I'd stop reading this forum, cause I'd be so fed up with people... Everything I read is "This sucks, I don't like this, the graphics are horrible..." and working as hard as the team probably is to only get complains no matter what must be exhausting and demoralizing.

The videogame industry is becoming worse and worse everyday because of people like most of you who can only criticize in such a destructive way. I wonder if you'd dare to say the same to the team's faces or if you've ever had your work so thrashed. So, a little bit more respect, please.

As a smart friend of mine says: "For every objection you express, add two solutions to the problem or else stfu!" ;P

After having read quickly through the last posts: Geralt will probably be slightly altered, just like every other character, before release. His general appearance might not be pleasant at the moment but will probably improve by the day we get the game.

Also, about the rumoured second guest... hopefully as DLC, and not as that T7 fiasco that left out original characters and focused on guests...

19 DLC characters because character select screen has room for 20 characters

2018-03-08_1904.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back