SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer all the answers I had:

I'm not talking about adding tons of moves to characters, but rather giving the uniqueness of each fighter back.

Ivy and Mitsu were special because of their stances, Raphael and Amy because of their dodges and parries/GI, etc.

I'm not saying they should keep every move, but the ones that made the character special to their players.

Also, the argument of "because I never use them" doesn't make sense here: we all play differently, if we want to play the game for the most effective moveset (existing moves to used moves ratio), they should focus on one character and nothing else, because "I don't use other moves".

We each play a different character as much as we play each character differently.

I think from a casual standpoint it makes sense to keep larger movesets for SC6. It makes it possible for the AI to be more varied. It allows button mashers to do more moves at random. It lets casual players play the same character completely differently. The fact that competitive players will figure out which 10 moves have the best properties and solely use those will happen regardless of the moveset size.

It was that reason why I enjoyed the CAS movesets in SC3. I didn't care if they felt worse than normal movesets, I just liked the extra variation. And sometimes it's fun to deliberately use bad moves against a player who's worse than you to see if you can still win.

...to be honest I'd prefer having no GI at all than having it being so OP.
I don't want to play GICalibur, where everything is desided by usage of single defensive(!) mechanic.
And throws are now essentially useless, considering how much simplified throw escape is. Throws are essentially thrown out from the game.
Dunno, I'm more and more butthurt the more I know about new battle system.

Last edited:
Kinda doubt but maybe possible that there would be a game mode that actually doesn't use any of the new flashy stuff, like "classic battle" that plays more like SoulCalibur I-III.

...to be honest I'd prefer having no GI at all than having it being so OP.
I don't want to play GICalibur, where everything is desided by usage of single defensive(!) mechanic.
And throws are now essentially useless, considering how much simplified throw escape is. Throws are essentially thrown out from the game.
Dunno, I'm more and more butthurt the more I know about new battle system.
Lol @GI calibur

In my opinion SC6 even now looks better than Tekken 7, which looks gorgeous

In term of graphics they look pretty similar, but SC6 is looking to have a better arts and colors so far. Tekken 7 used to have nice color palette when it was in Vanilla, but they blew it & ruined it with the FR update. (Consoles exclusives stages don't have that kind of issues tho)

SC5 was wrong in many things, but it was not in gameplay. Its by far the best its ever been, rewarding you with combos you were now allowed to perform instead of a random poke and then get back to a guard and dodge fest. What is the point of having huge movesets if you wouldn't even use many of those moves? Its not like you could combo them, not as much as in SC5.
Getting massive combos was never what SC was about. The game put far more emphasis on movement, footsies, and punishment than almost any other fighter. The worst a combo should be is launch > one or two filler hits > knockdown for oki.

Agreed that the over emphasis on combos SCV had was a little off putting. The core gameplay of Soul Calibur excelled in many other aspects that made the system deep and engaging - 50% juggle/wall combos were never a thing and were never needed before SCV, either. I like to mess around with Viola in 5 every now and then, but at the end of the day I'd much rather take the fight system that, as Turbanator said, puts more emphasis on movement mechanics and punishment than a glorified combo simulator. Other fighting games can hold that mantle just fine, but Soul Calibur is not one of them.

For the moves, the only ones against argume't is that it makes reconizing and reacting to every moves more harder and you have to know more frame data.

But it let you to be creative, and sometimes adding some shitty proprety move at an unexpected moment for the opponent is also a way to complexify his reading. At least that's my philosophy when I play, I know my solid options, but I also learn how to use every single move, because sometimes that's that little peeper who gets you a round winning action. They can be ultra shitty, people will freez and lose their focus when they first see it.

So I hope Namco will put a lot of moves, and also cancel. When I play SC2 it's awesome that level of creativity you can get in this game. And building your own style.

Getting massive combos was never what SC was about. The game put far more emphasis on movement, footsies, and punishment than almost any other fighter. The worst a combo should be is launch > one or two filler hits > knockdown for oki.

Agreed that the over emphasis on combos SCV had was a little off putting. The core gameplay of Soul Calibur excelled in many other aspects that made the system deep and engaging - 50% juggle/wall combos were never a thing and were never needed before SCV, either. I like to mess around with Viola in 5 every now and then, but at the end of the day I'd much rather take the fight system that, as Turbanator said, puts more emphasis on movement mechanics and punishment than a glorified combo simulator. Other fighting games can hold that mantle just fine, but Soul Calibur is not one of them.

Agreed, one of the reason on why SC2 is still my favorite SC ever.

I am with the the guys here who with are more move sets for characters than less. one of the big reasons I stopped playing SCV only after a month of its release, is the lackluster of Mitsu's moves and how boring and stale he became.
Now, some of you might argue having a huge set of moves will (might) bring balance complications and there is a point to it, but less moves in a 3d fighter was never a good sign. Simple put, unlike 2d fighters, in 3d fighters (specially SC) you can train your eyes to see the moves and react to them. So having a vast move set will make it difficult for a players who train their eyes to react to moves (I used to be one of them).

I remember in SCV some players were JG lot's of moves due to issues I mentioned above.

So having a large set of moves (as long they are balanced as much as possible) will give depth to the game and more different play styles among the players.

Last edited:
I think from a casual standpoint it makes sense to keep larger movesets for SC6. It makes it possible for the AI to be more varied. It allows button mashers to do more moves at random. It lets casual players play the same character completely differently. The fact that competitive players will figure out which 10 moves have the best properties and solely use those will happen regardless of the moveset size.
This. I will never understand the allure of Competitive play because as you say, it's the same few moves with the occasional 'mix up'. I personally like fighting games because they give the sense of playing out a fight scene in a movie and in SC's case it makes me think of the sword and staff fights in stuff like Xena: Warrior Princess (I've referenced that way too much lately XD I forget what an impact it's had on my tastes).

I like to use moves that feel cinematic and create my own chain of them. Who cares if they don't naturally combo onto each other and the AI will likely block/dodge it and kick my ass? If it goes through it'll look cool! I have my own style and have never looked up how the pros play the characters I play because I'd be bored as hell.

That said, I DO enjoy watching tournaments because they CAN be pretty cool, I just wouldn't want to play that way personally.
It was that reason why I enjoyed the CAS movesets in SC3. I didn't care if they felt worse than normal movesets, I just liked the extra variation. And sometimes it's fun to deliberately use bad moves against a player who's worse than you to see if you can still win.
This x10. CAS movesets is probably the thing I want most outside of new modes (and Amy). I think it'd be cool to have Bonus Characters made using those too. That was a clever way to introduce minor characters like Amy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back