SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just a nitpick about this and this might come off as "sjw-ish." I don't like the idea of a "dark-skinned female," being considered an "archetype." It just screams tokenism [and fetishism to an extent]. Just make a cool character, who happens to be dark-skinned. They did it with Zas, so they could do it for a woman, too. Part of the reason why the women in Black Panther were so heavily praised was because the film treated them with significance. It's not that hard to do

I don't mean to derail the topic, but that's just my two cents
I'm only phrasing that as it was worded to me.
But....

I know what you mean. Make their character bad ass even without the skin colour, and then make them happen to be dark skinned. What Verge is trying to say (I hope I'm not misinterpreting the intentions of the developers) is they're trying to put in traits that are "cool" at the moment. I don't think they're trying to fit in a quota, but they want to make a character that is instantly recognizable as different from the existing cast.

I don't think Viola was introduced because Gypsies were all the latest rage back in 2012, for example.
Like WuHT is saying here, the idea is more to follow what's "in" in the fighting game market since Menat and Ramlethal were especially received very well by fans. And Urbosa wound up being a very popular character on Breath of the Wild.
The idea seems to be more strictly that the general idea was a "big badass muscular woman with dark skin," both of which would be completely new female character types in one specific character itself that they wanted to add.

I don't know where exactly that would definitely mean the character would've been and would be from, but given the century the game takes place during, they do have options of civilizations and ethnicities that would fit the general idea at least. I would just hope that their weaponry is something directly from what they are from to represent the culture since fans have been wanting more cultural weaponry, but that's been overlooked in favor of "cool and kind of magical things" due to Algol on IV, then ZWEI and Viola on V for instance.
That's how I see it anyway.
The idea seems to be that they wanted to include a new character type altogether, which is a tall muscular woman, that of which has dark skin. Among the cast she would clearly stand out.
I can see how it could be an issue with some is if she feels too caricatured, but to SC's credit, they tend to do cultural things really well when they do them and the characters wind up being stylish and cool.
So long as they treat the idea itself with respect like I think they could, it can work.

Last edited:
Not going to lie but don't like the idea of a muscular dark skinned woman. Honestly that feels like something I would see in Tumblr.

Last edited by a moderator:
But there was apparently a lot of the Japanese design team into the "large and muscular women" character type idea and the "dark skinned women" archetype that they noticed is popular now in fighting games with many of the new installments in major franchises
I see that japanese design team think about anything except japanese women (Setsuka as example). I still don't understand why japanese game have no japanese women(s)?
Project Soul and Bandai Namco specifically don't want some kind of Lost Swords situation to happen again and want a closer connection to the community.
Finally they learned their mistakes.
...and threads about my leaks, which apparently directly impacted things like Zasalamel not being a DLC character, which was planned until the response to that was universally panned.
Could they impact on Cervantes not being a DLC character because i can't imagine how story mode will be without him and without Siegfried?

Half-swording sounds really cool. I really do like the idea of more historical fighting styles, and it's sad to hear it got cut while generic anime edge like Groh made it in.

As for the whole black chick thing, I like the idea of a black woman in the game for diversity's sake. It's a neat idea. It's weird to think we won't get a new female character this time. Actually if Groh's dad is really gonna be in the game, that still only makes 2 new characters; the lowest amount of new characters to be added in an SC game yet?

I hope that Bandai Namco doesn’t let a few youtube trolls affect their decision to reveal Maxi as having a male lover.

I don’t think it should really surprise anyone. The man is a pirate and, according to the Soulcal wiki, his nickname is ‘The Dandy Of The South Seas’.... (and it's noteworthy that piracy and homoeroticism historically did indeed go hand in hand [see Hans Turley’s book on pirates, “Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash”].)

Nothing has been mentioned in past games indicating that he’s straight (his aesthetics and somewhat narcissistic personality, at least stereotypically, point to the contrary), so when trolls and supposedly “betrayed” fans moan, “how could they just change him after all these years,” their assumption is that a character has to be explicitly homosexual, i.e. gayness being their defining characteristic, otherwise they’re automatically straight.

I would be super psyched for Soulcalibur to break some waves and reveal Maxi as gay.

I'm of two minds. Part of me thinks it's weird that they're suddenly like 'oh Maxi's gay now' (perhaps a new character would be a better choice), but as has already been said, there's nothing to suggest he was ever anything else in past games, so why the heck not?

I'm happy to see that a popular character is getting this kind of story and I'm more than open to the idea. I just hope they don't make it gimmicky and that they do a faithful job of showing it in the story.

I love the idea so far of his lover being killed and seeking vengeance for that and depending on how the story mode is presented to us (be it cutscenes or text) it could be very powerful and emotional.

I see that japanese design team think about anything except japanese women (Setsuka as example). I still don't understand why japanese game have no japanese women(s)?

From my understanding they find foreigners sexy (especially those from North America and Europe) and they are trying to follow the trend with this leaked idea. It could work, but at the same time it might not. I just hope if they go through with it it is something they want and not something they need. Also doesn't surprise me they were inspired by something nsfw. I mean Shura's designer and those slut outfits from that 'f2p' game should not surprise anybody by now.

...as for "why so many foreigners and no Japanese women?"

...This series. It's set in Western Europe in the 1500s. How many Japanese women do you think were there? We already have Setsuka/Taki from the girls and Mitsurugi from the guys repping Japan, and Xianghua/Kilik(?) repping China, and Seong Mina/Yun Seong repping Korea, if you look across the franchise.

Wow, that's a lot of new info, thanks @Vergeben!

Knowing they are trying hard to fulfill most reasonable ideas, it really remove that feeling of frustration about which character is desired by people. Taking fans' reactions and wishes into account is a great thing, especially if they spend time sorting the wheat from the chaff. They will know that Raphael we want Raphael some characters Raphael more than others Raphael. Or some modes Raphael too.

Regarding characters DLC, I really do hope that they'll focus on original characters over guests, especially after what Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 did (which I hate): adding more guests while their own roster wasn't complete and iconic characters were missing. I'd rather have Mi-na as a DLC than, let's say, Goku from DBS or Sora from KHIII. But even if they manage to get the whole roster, I'd rather have newcomers than guests. That's just my two cents.

About the dark-skinned muscular woman, I don't want her. I mean, I don't want a dark-skinned woman fighter for the sake of it. I want a sick moveset and a well designed character who happens to be a black female. That should be a key in characters design, they shouldn't focus only on variety because it only reinforces the sjw/feminist ridiculous "I-see-hate-everywhere".

Some thoughts:
  • Dark-skinned muscular female sounds good, looking at past characters in SC I really do think Project Soul could do something cool with this idea.
  • The gameplay looks quite exciting, I do hope they will try to make defensive play more viable. One of the reasons I vastly prefer SCIV to V was that the gameplay felt more nuanced and less geared towards always being on the offensive.
  • I'm not too sure about having GI catching almost everything. I feel that maybe GI would be better with high and low variants, but I havent't played SCVI so I wouldn't know if it maybe makes sense the way they designed it for this game.

I don't want a dark-skinned woman fighter for the sake of it. I want a sick moveset and a well designed character who happens to be a black female.
Why do people assume dark skin = african descent ?

There are other regions with unexplored martial arts/warriors that would be welcome in SC6. Basically any region near the equator you can take your pick.

Talim is relatively dark skinned compared to the rest of the females.

It doesn't even need to be near the equator, she could just be a very tanned Japanese person even. Or heck, even a gyaru (though that would be incredibly out out place here).

Thanks @Vergeben for the infos as usual!
Honestly, or probably I'm just very easy to be pleased, I'm open to anything they want to do. I let them already a message about the characters I would love to see, but I will not spam them. It's not working like that. If one of my favs will not come back, I'll find a new one, or I'll play the older games! Good thing is that I love so many characters in SC which will not be a problem.

I am hoping to see return of all the characters in SC1, especially Cervantes, Rock, Astarosh and Lizzardman. No other but for story reasons.
BTW, will Namco expand the roster to more than 35 like in Tekken 7?

I have just a nitpick about this and this might come off as "sjw-ish." I don't like the idea of a "dark-skinned female," being considered an "archetype." It just screams tokenism [and fetishism to an extent]. Just make a cool character, who happens to be dark-skinned. They did it with Zas, so they could do it for a woman, too. Part of the reason why the women in Black Panther were so heavily praised was because the film treated them with significance. It's not that hard to do

I don't mean to derail the topic, but that's just my two cents
Bravo.
You reading this, Namco?

Why do people assume dark skin = african descent ?

There are other regions with unexplored martial arts/warriors that would be welcome in SC6. Basically any region near the equator you can take your pick.

Talim is relatively dark skinned compared to the rest of the females.
Because "dark" is often related to Africa, but also Middle East, South America, etc. you're right. The idea is still the same: I don't want diversity for diversity, otherwise people could riot because their is no Indian, no Aborigine, no Russian, etc. I want diversity because it happens "by chance" and suit the fighting style and general design of the character.

I think one of the more important messages we want to get across to Namco is stated in this tweet. We can all want different things but I think we can all agree that we want them to keep supporting the game. Let's get that message out there by retweeting this. As much as I want Team Battle back and an online training mode (which I think are both nothing but beneficial to the competitive community and those looking to get competitive) I think the most important message we can give them is that we're here for the long haul and we hope that they are planning the same.

I'm playing For honor at the moment waiting for this new iteration of Soul calibur.
The Half-Swording is a reference to the warden :
1qvfbx2brpry.gif

He can mix his shoulder bash with a double slash or guard break which is often confusing.
It would be cool to have this type of warrior in Sc6. His design reminds me a little of dark souls characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back