Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

DanteSC3

[14] Master
something something Li Long is Yell something something season three speculation
I mostly feel like your season three aspirations will be reserved for SoulCalibur VII, for proper narrative cohesion. Including Viola in particular would just be bizarre in a situation that Viola isn't a clone of Amy, because if the implication is that Amy is going to become Viola as she loses more of her memory and becomes Azwel's puppet, which is my current expectation, then it doesn't make sense to timeskip to that part instead of contextualizing it properly in the next game's story. They tried way too hard to shut down Algol to turn around and say, oh hey, Algol's here, and Dampierre is a literal clown. Hilde is the only one who is realistically feasible, but her big moment is coming out to put an end to Algol's conflict, so again, I feel like she'll be saved for the sequel.

Ukkesh

[09] Warrior
I honestly don't really mind who the sixth character is as long as it is not rock. I just don't see how they're going to keep him using the same weapon while differentiating him from Asta.people say that they could change his weapon but he would lose a lot of identity in that way. Personally I am hoping for viola but any other character would be fine. At least we know Algol's stuff, if he is going to be in, will be available, if not his style.

Rusted Blade

[07] Duelist
I mostly feel like your season three aspirations will be reserved for SoulCalibur VII, for proper narrative cohesion. Including Viola in particular would just be bizarre in a situation that Viola isn't a clone of Amy, because if the implication is that Amy is going to become Viola as she loses more of her memory and becomes Azwel's puppet, which is my current expectation, then it doesn't make sense to timeskip to that part instead of contextualizing it properly in the next game's story. They tried way too hard to shut down Algol to turn around and say, oh hey, Algol's here, and Dampierre is a literal clown. Hilde is the only one who is realistically feasible, but her big moment is coming out to put an end to Algol's conflict, so again, I feel like she'll be saved for the sequel.
Well, as I already said myself, it's probable that this will be how things end up fleshing out, because I just don't think PS are preparing for a season three and the core staff is going to have to be shifted away from continuing support for this game in favour of other projects, eventually. So to the extent that there's realistically only going to be so many more characters added in the projected second season pass, I agree it's almost certain that they will favour the classic characters over anyone introduced post-SCIII--and that they have given every hint that this is exactly what they are doing. But don't kid yourself, if they had the free staff and were finding the serial content for SCVI lucrative, they wouldn't hesitate for a second to bring back remaining popular characters just because of some thematic constraint. I mean, if it came to that point, I'm sure they would happily just expand the period of time covered by the events of SCVI. Alas, I'd be surprised if even their zealous approach to the post-release support of this game will go as far as a Season Three. One can hope however.

I honestly don't really mind who the sixth character is as long as it is not rock. I just don't see how they're going to keep him using the same weapon while differentiating him from Asta.people say that they could change his weapon but he would lose a lot of identity in that way. Personally I am hoping for viola but any other character would be fine. At least we know Algol's stuff, if he is going to be in, will be available, if not his style.
I think you'd better be prepared for disappointment then, because I'd say Rock is a virtual lock, given the evidence we have. Kind of a surprising turn of events given how portions of his moveset were rolled into Astaroth, I agree. But given how much this team is enjoying monkeying around with the classic styles (to....mixed results, in my impression) I think they could easily make it work. There's no reason they can't, as a stylistic matter, give him his mace/massive stone warhammer. I think Aeon is likely to end up switching from his sword to the axe earlier than he did in the original narrative, based on what we have seen of the Lesser Lizardman style, so I don't think they are following strict fidelity to the original run of games in that respect. I think he'll be fine, in the final analysis. He still has the vast majority of his moves, even if we assume the ones given to Asta are his alone now. As an example, they made shit-tons of new animations for Amy--most of which (minus the flowers) are pretty faithful to her general style. I mean, the truth is, Rock was so low tier in SCIV that you would have to really mess up to make his fans more disappointed this time around!

Ukkesh

[09] Warrior
Well, as I already said myself, it's probable that this will be how things end up fleshing out, because I just don't think PS are preparing for a season three and the core staff is going to have to be shifted away from continuing support for this game in favour of other projects, eventually. So to the extent that there's realistically only going to be so many more characters added in the projected second season pass, I agree it's almost certain that they will favour the classic characters over anyone introduced post-SCIII--and that they have given every hint that this is exactly what they are doing. But don't kid yourself, if they had the free staff and were finding the serial content for SCVI lucrative, they wouldn't hesitate for a second to bring back remaining popular characters just because of some thematic constraint. I mean, if it came to that point, I'm sure they would happily just expand the period of time covered by the events of SCVI. Alas, I'd be surprised if even their zealous approach to the post-release support of this game will go as far as a Season Three. One can hope however.

I think you'd better be prepared for disappointment then, because I'd say Rock is a virtual lock, given the evidence we have. Kind of a surprising turn of events given how portions of his moveset were rolled into Astaroth, I agree. But given how much this team is enjoying monkeying around with the classic styles (to....mixed results, in my impression) I think they could easily make it work. There's no reason they can't, as a stylistic matter, give him his mace/massive stone warhammer. I think Aeon is likely to end up switching from his sword to the axe earlier than he did in the original narrative, based on what we have seen of the Lesser Lizardman style, so I don't think they are following strict fidelity to the original run of games in that respect. I think he'll be fine, in the final analysis. He still has the vast majority of his moves, even if we assume the ones given to Asta are his alone now. As an example, they made shit-tons of new animations for Amy--most of which (minus the flowers) are pretty faithful to her general style. I mean, the truth is, Rock was so low tier in SCIV that you would have to really mess up to make his fans more disappointed this time around!
There is substantial evidence but I can't see anyone other than rock conquerer having a celebration at rocks reveal. Honestly though, fir me the roster just keeps getting better and better. I keep thinking to myself that the roster is. Perfect, then I remember there's more characters, and I start squeeing like a little girl. If they do what they did with Amy, great. I'm just not expecting much from to rock. I've kinda forgotten rock exists a couple times, but I guess if I have low expectations, PS will blow me out of the park.

ElegantRaven

[09] Warrior
I echo the sentiment that I would be more than fine with a previously bland character such as Rock re-appearing because Project Soul has proven nothing but the best when it comes to handling such characters with regard to SC6. Rock would be fine if he was DLC, I would bet money on it.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
I'm still hoping that we get Edge Master in some way, shape, or form. A way to cap off the first season pass, or a way to kick off the second season pass, his presence is very much lacking and I'd love a mimic style. SoulCalibur IV is the only game since the mimic concept was introduced to not have a mimic, and while I'm aware the idea of mimics was soured by SoulCalibur V having three, I don't see what the harm is in having one, as a free addition, of course. I still think Inferno not being a mimic was a mistake, but in that he's not a mimic, that just leaves room for Edge Master to fill in that hole...

I think Aeon is likely to end up switching from his sword to the axe earlier than he did in the original narrative, based on what we have seen of the Lesser Lizardman style, so I don't think they are following strict fidelity to the original run of games in that respect.
I still believe in the Schwarzstrom story art. He'll have axes as extra weapons, but his main weapon will be Xi Sword & Game Shield. I'd put money on it.

FluffyQuack

[14] Master
Does Amy count as a SC3 character or a SC4 character? I know she's technically a SC3 character who became a full character in SC3 AE, and then got bit more unique in SC4....but since SC6 is really her first deep dive as full fledged character (SC4 budget left Amy and Rock in a rushed state)

I guess we'll know for sure when they show the games Amy has been in on twitter for her profile.

If she's considered SC4 then it's open season for Hilde and Algol as DLC
There was an interview last year (I think it was done by Kayane) where Okubo said that characters from SC4 or SC5 could be DLC.

Maxxus

[05] Battler
Not really. I'm just trying to figure out if she's SC3 because this will let us know if they fulfill the "Our roster will be SC1-3" statement.

That would mean the final characters to complete this roster would be

SC1:
Rock
Hwang
Lizardman
SC2:
Yun seong
SC3:
Setsuka

6th character = Li Long, guest, Hilde, Algol or Viola???
Edge Master?

AMillionHP

[13] Hero
I’d say that’s a waste of a spot that could be given to a more deserving character.

Edgemaster should be a bonus in a patch or something
Well its the mimic status that makes him undeserving. Otherwise he's pretty badass but then i suppose that depends entirely on what they would do with his moveset.

Dissidia

Premium Member
the only avenues I see for him are unarmed/martial arts....some sort of old school or xiba version of kilik due to edgemaster having more moves than kilik in SC1 and SC5.

or some sort of nightmare siegfried variant due to that big sword in his art (please no more zweihanders for the love of god)

AMillionHP

[13] Hero
the only avenues I see for him are unarmed/martial arts....some sort of old school or xiba version of kilik due to edgemaster having more moves than kilik in SC1 and SC5.

or some sort of nightmare siegfried variant due to that big sword in his art (please no more zweihanders for the love of god)
I've always imagined him carrying an assortment of weapons, mostly things not used by anyone else. Like 2B or Ezio.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
Edge Master returning as anything other than a pure mimic would be heresy. I agree that paying for him wouldn’t go over well, but that doesn’t mean that changing his style is the answer. My stance is that he should be a free DLC, considering all the work that really has to go into him is bringing his model from SoulCalibur V and making “The Master” weapons for a few new characters. The rest is just copying what’s already there.

They’ve already made Inferno into a joke, where he could have been an Elysium-type mimic and/or how he was in SoulCalibur originally, where he mimics, but keeps his unique Roy moves. Slight but not ludicrous buffs (with nerfs too, making him slightly unsafe?) to styles, like Elysium got for Pyrrha Omega, would have allowed him to be useful and interesting, but as he is, he’s just an overpowered mess for people to cruise through Legendary Arcade and a waste of a slot.

Now I’m just imagining Rock throwing flowers.
Or he can throw stones like Squires from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Maxxus

[05] Battler
Edge Master with Alpha Patroklos style was fine in the legendary souls, but just If Setsuka really don't join in the game, otherwise a new style for him should be done.