Street Fighter 4: ....Screw it, I tried.

You're maining Sakura?

Lulz no wonder you're not having fun. Play Viper instead :D

FYI: SFIV is faster than SCIV. Not sure why you're having a problem with patience.

Easier said than done, unfortunately.
I'm a 3D fighter at my very core. The games I do the most damage in have always been 3D, Tekken, DOA, Virtual Fighter, and my most recent being Soul Calibur. But once again, JUMPING is not my problem. its all the rest of the BS that i've experienced while playing this game that i'm talking about. And yes, I can win. I've won a couple of rounds, but its just not worth it to me because it always boils down to whoever can spam the better move more times in a row. And I mean, I main Sakura and Chun-Li on SF4 so if you have some idea on how to "not jump at all" while playing and still remain deadly then let me know. Some of the easiest matches i've had have been just me jumping the fuck around and HKing them in the head everytime I get close.

Its a habit.

I at core am a 3d fighter, DOA and Soul cal is what i started with, and wartech and power stone etc.
I main Sakura in SF4, she takes work to win with simple, if your getting tired of losing, don't play her, simple

Dragon punch spam isn't even that good. Its a much less effective tactic than 1A spam online in SC4. That is of course, unless they know its going to hit for who knows what reason...

Why do you have this notion that you have to jump? Lol.
A lot of people have this notion that you must Jump-In all the time.. this is probably because people think fighting games about combos, and 2D combo vids always start with Jump-Ins.

No amount of frame data study on your character is going to help you if you maintain to have bad basic habits.
Complaining about a person shoryuken spamming is like complaining about a Cassy/Soph/Setsuka spamming their punishers. It just takes an ounce of patience to understand that you can bait it and punish it accordingly.
And mind you, baiting an umbrella and punishing it gets you what.. 50? 60 damage max?
It leads to 35-70% combos in SFIV.

Just learn to bait a shoryuken and you'll be getting hatemails from Ken's all day long calling Sakura a cheap, high damage bitch.

Why do you have this notion that you have to jump? Lol.
A lot of people have this notion that you must Jump-In all the time.. this is probably because people think fighting games about combos, and 2D combo vids always start with Jump-Ins.

No amount of frame data study on your character is going to help you if you maintain to have bad basic habits.
Complaining about a person shoryuken spamming is like complaining about a Cassy/Soph/Setsuka spamming their punishers. It just takes an ounce of patience to understand that you can bait it and punish it accordingly.
And mind you, baiting an umbrella and punishing it gets you what.. 50? 60 damage max?
It leads to 35-70% combos in SFIV.

Just learn to bait a shoryuken and you'll be getting hatemails from Ken's all day long calling Sakura a cheap, high damage bitch.

Maybe he will listen to you, seeing as how i said the same thing lol just without the sc4 comparisons

I dont normally play street fighter, being that I have always sucked at it. But I read yesterday what you guys said about NOT JUMPING. Ill be honest I thought you guys were full of shit. But went to the homies house and did a little casualin, and Ill be a motha fucker. I actually won like 3 matches in a row (which is totally amazing for me, just bare with me here). I worked on just keeping the right spacing and the game totally changed for me. Probablly still not gonna buy it lol but you guys were fuckin right man!!

Lol, sc players calling sf boring and turtly...

lol. Yeah it's actually a lot of planning 5 steps ahead/technical stuff. I love SC but no offense....you can't really mash or win in SF if you have no idea what you're doing.

I main sakura too. I know a few ppl who play her and are good. Nothing too wrong with her. You just gotta be willing to put in the work. If you're getting tired of losing, try harder. all there is too it.

I dont normally play street fighter, being that I have always sucked at it. But I read yesterday what you guys said about NOT JUMPING. Ill be honest I thought you guys were full of shit. But went to the homies house and did a little casualin, and Ill be a motha fucker. I actually won like 3 matches in a row (which is totally amazing for me, just bare with me here). I worked on just keeping the right spacing and the game totally changed for me. Probablly still not gonna buy it lol but you guys were fuckin right man!!

Thats cause... like SC4, SF4 is all about controlling spacing, very footsie orientated, in fact every fighting game is pretty much like that too.

And Las, the only thing I can say is keep practicing cause.... uh.. you didn't get good at SC4 by not playing it right. Eventually you get to the point where you exactly how far your kick will go ect ect.

Thats cause... like SC4, SF4 is all about controlling spacing, very footsie orientated, in fact every fighting game is pretty much like that too.

And Las, the only thing I can say is keep practicing cause.... uh.. you didn't get good at SC4 by not playing it right. Eventually you get to the point where you exactly how far your kick will go ect ect.

Youre absolutly right. This whole new no jumping thing has kinda renewed my "like" for the game.

Youre absolutly right. This whole new no jumping thing has kinda renewed my "like" for the game.

Well, you gotta use your jump in as a tool. For instance, if you only jump in, then your opponent will know they only have to use their anti-air and you will eat it. Conversely if you never jump in then the opponent will spray you with fire balls. Its exactly like SC if you always block low or you always 8wayrun. People are going to notice and punish you for it. Like SC, SF4 has a bunch of other complicated sub-systems and bugs attached to it too.

ever since the sf2 days, I would always "jump in" to get my attacks off. I didnt know any other way. I was a youngstrer back then. Maybe thats why I sucked at it!! But im gonna go party at the homies house tonight with a little sf4, and see what happens again. I actually felt more "in control" using that method, kinda opened a new door for me.

lol. Yeah it's actually a lot of planning 5 steps ahead/technical stuff. I love SC but no offense....you can't really mash or win in SF if you have no idea what you're doing.

WRONG

More so in this game than any other street fighter, or 2D fighter in general before it

Just look at zangief

Laswagga: I came to the same conclusion that you did about SF4. Thats the reason I chose Rose as my main for SF4... Even though I have not played it in a month. Last SF4 tournament I saw, most players were useing Rufus or Balrog becuase I think they have anti-dragon punch and fireball moves (I think). Apparently they are top tier... or so I have heard.

WRONG

More so in this game than any other street fighter, or 2D fighter in general before it

Just look at zangief

Dunno what you are talking about but just cause giefs grabs do hella damage, it doesnt mean you have to fight him head on. A character like gief you have to fight very very carefully or else you will get smoked. Its like potemkin in guilty gear.

Yeah, when you jump you're giving up a lot of defensive options, and you also give your opponent a more or less set vector where they can plug you at will.

you can't mash out Geif's lariat and win against anyone DECENT. KEY WORD...lol. Like ppl said with the don't jump and what not. But ANOTHER thing. LEARN TO USE YOUR FA!!!! Not ABUSE it... but learn to utilize it well. It will COMPLETELY revamp the game for you. Those Jump trip fuckers that you probably hate (the same ones that spam SRK through EVERY block string..lol..) will cry when you start to Focus thier initial jump in and hit them before they have time to get their trip off. "noobs" in the game love to jump and trip and SRK. On wake..just dance a little (forward back forward back) and then crouch duck. 90% of the time they will SRK on wake and you'll get a free combo.

Like any fighter READ UP ON THE OPPONENTS. If you main Sakura then read up on EVERY character that you do poorly against. Learn her best option to stop cross-ups. Learn her best non-meter choice after a wiffed SRK...AND her best metered one. Having issues with Bison? Learn the simple counters to his tricks. The bane of all charge characters is 2 things (very generalized) cross ups and movement. Learn to use both well against them. Learn that if the oppoent is the type that SRK through every string... then just stop early with a block. At SOME point the spammy bastard will stop using SRK like that..or just quit..lol.

Just like SC..you are not gonna win al the lag matches... so just forget about those loses. If someon bad mouths you cuz u left after a lose...then who cares... you'll prob never play the guy again and why bother wasting your anger on losing in lag to someone that you don't think is that good?

I've personally only had the game for three weeks now... but the difference between week one, week two, and week three is INSANE. Week one I was losing to SRK masters ..lol... right and left. I had about a 44% win ratio (I don't play ranked really...) and I didn't know what to do. I felt like crap. I was jumping all the time to stop the opponent from jumping all the time and they were winning 60% of the time on those jumps for WHATEVER reason so I would lose.

Week two and I had raised my win % to about 54%..which means i probably was winning about 60-70% of my games now. I had spent a lot of time learning akuma's combos and learning to not jump (a horrible habit). Now I only jump on wake-up, demon flip combos, guaranteed FB jump in combos, or neutral jump (ps... use neutral jumps to get over fireballs as opposed to forward or backwards jumping... you'll NEVER be hit.. and after a while the shoto gets pissed and comes to you). I also started to go into training and have the machine record and play out tactics that were pissing me off and I found ways around them.

Week 3 and I currently have a 61% win ratio (meaning I won probably about 80-90% of my matches or something) including a 70 game win streak. I'm not GREAT and I know i have work to do (such as getting an arcade stick..lol) but overall its a lot more fun to play the game because I feel I don't NEED to jump and I don't NEED to SRK randomly. I have the OPTION now to turtle with akuma..as before the low ass health of akuma made it so I had to run scared and win or charge and lose because random SRK take 1/4 ofa bar of life for akuma..lol.

Seriously LAG.. the difference between knowing "don't jump, use FA, know your combos, know the best punish in a situation (its almost ALWAYS NOT grapple..lol), learn to start with moves that stand an opponent up (viable for akuma..but not everyone), know your block strings..etc etc" makes all the difference in the world to the game. The game is more of a footsie game than SC though in part because most characters only have 1 move to make ppl guard standing...and it pretty much NEVER combos. So it leaves the opponent with a stupid easy question of "do I block standing and risk a 200-300 damage combo or do I block low and risk not standing in time to break a grab or take a 70 damage overhead" .... hmmmmm..lol. While SC gives ppl more ofa reason to wonder to block low or high.

That being said, its quite possible this just isn't your type of game. Like you said, you might just be a 3D fighting whore and not a 2D fighting whore. But if you want to get better... don't jump (and if you do.. neutral jump), FA stupid shit (and later move onto using FA more often just in general), and learn to counter certain "bullshitable" moves (moves like headstomp that at first seem like they are UBER until you realize the trick to them).

I'm still learning and I will be for a while. Like you said, a lot of these guys that play have a lot of time over us. either because of playing older games or just simply because it came out overseas first and the Arcade scene isn't the same in the US. But utilize above crap and it shouldn't be hard to start getting better by not losing to the "shoto masters" ;P
add to about Geif though. Sometimes you DO lose against him. Even to Lariat spam. But thats because you haven't gotten your anti-lariat tactics down yet. There is a difference in losing to lariat spam and losing to a Geif that uses Lariat. Gief that spams lariat = trip all day and trip all night. Geif that uses Lariat = GARRRR... I hate playing geif :P

Every time an ultra is punished with a (Non-command) throw, a baby dies of starvation in a third world country.

welcome to the "street fighter is too boring and hard and i suck at it" club. i'm a charted member. wait for kof12 with the rest of us.

Me playing/learning SF4 is like this.
Insert Disc. Skip the intro...Seriously!
Go to challenge mode, select the trick option...pick Guile.
And then continue to see if today I will magically be able to perform the next combo.
So I pretty much don't play it at all...although I would love to, learning curve seems freaking steep and my fingers can't handle the pain.

To me this game seems to hard to even have noobs. I personally think you must be good at it in some way to even play it. Or maybe it's because I picked as Guile my main...

Me playing/learning SF4 is like this.
Insert Disc. Skip the intro...Seriously!
Go to challenge mode, select the trick option...pick Guile.
And then continue to see if today I will magically be able to perform the next combo.
So I pretty much don't play it at all...although I would love to, learning curve seems freaking steep and my fingers can't handle the pain.

To me this game seems to hard to even have noobs. I personally think you must be good at it in some way to even play it. Or maybe it's because I picked as Guile my main...

Its cause you picked guile as your main.... hes really low tier. You have to remember too that playing a charge character is completely different then playing a non-charge and its like learning how to play from a standard SC character to hilde for example (negative edging).

There is one thing about 2d fighters is it kicks the execution of SC4 down to the curb because once you play a 2d fighter.... anything on SC4 is hella easy to execute.

So once you can lay some links down, SC4 becomes a breeze in terms of exeuction.

Back