Technical Jargon: Meter Management, Critical Thinking

Ok, so for the time being I'm just going to assume you know what the Critical Gauge does, looks like and how you generate said meter. I was thinking about doing a primer for total noobs to begin with, but there are a few of them around already. If you don't know that much check out Primer X on game mechanics or read up on it in the Future Press guide for SCV...

Don't be scared if you actually are a noob. We all started there, you just have to choose to level up and do it. What I want to cover this week is mostly just how to get the most out of your meter. This falls under 3 basic categories understanding, holding and wasting.

For the sake of simplicity I will almost completely ignore GI in this article. The mixup that creates is rather dynamic and will get it's own article in time. Also I will be using this metric:
Full meter = 200%
CE = 100%
BE = 50%
GI = 50%

talk.jpg
Don't look like a derp... Know how to use your meter

Understanding your meter is rather character specific. We can start with Ezio, here is a breakdown of some of the basic tools he's got that are enhanced by meter. The math is fairly simple, you simply weigh the gain in damage vs the meter expended.

13 frame punish
2A 12
CE 90
+78 100%

15 frame punish
6B – 28
6B BE – 70 (82 on clean hit)
+42 50% meter

16 frame punish vs crouching moves (6B is high and does not punish moves that crouch in their recovery) You can also hit confirm this if you land BB as a poke.
BB - 32
BB BE - 68
+36 50% meter

66BB 52
66BB BE 75
+23 50% meter

Combos
1K 44B – 53
1K 6B BE - 86
+33 50% meter

BT B+K, 1BBB, 3B 75
BT B+K, 1BBB, CE 93
+18 100% meter

BT B+K, CE 103
+28 100%

Now you can see the discrepancies in how some of this all scales. 6B BE seems to be his most efficient expenditure of meter even in combos followed by CE, BB BE and 66BB BE. The examples at the end are simply to show that just being able to hit the CE doesn't make it worthwhile, you need to evaluate what the meter gets you and compare it to what you get otherwise. In the case of Ezio I would say any 30+ for half a bar is a good use of meter. Interesting point, at that meter GI into CE at 150% for 90 damage is a pretty good use of meter.

There are also points of time where the use of meter isn't a matter of added damage so much as total damage. Such is the case of choosing your guard burst combos:

A+B CE – 115 100% meter (130+ with clean hit)
66A+B 66BB BE – 106 damage 50% meter
66A+B 66BB – 85 0 meter
44K, 1BBB, 3B – 75 meter

The reason the 44K is listed is 66A+B is not always free, depending on how you break and it will also whiff against many small characters. Now you see the +10 damage from 66A+B 50% combo to bust that CE for 115. But when you compare the CE combos Ezio has, this is far and away the biggest CE damage compared to the biggest BE combo in his arsenal. Both are the most efficient ways to spend meter he has for that class of move... Choose your own fate.

poop.png
Sometimes holding it is the best choice

Holding meter is an important concept for many characters like Ezio, who needs his meter for punishes in many matchups. This becomes more apparent with his CE punish in a matchup like Oprah (Omega Pyrrha), where her DNS B is -14. That means if you're in a 5th round with 2 full bars she really can't use the move, it also impacts how the game plays out earlier.

A smart Oprah player will choose not to use that move when you have 100% or more, this reduces the move to just a whiff punish. That means when you spend down under 100% she will be able to use it to pressure from midrange and not care if you block... Which makes her rather scary.

Now this doesn't just have to be a block punish... If you need certain combos for you to be able to shut down option X or Y for a whiff punish or step punish. The same mentality can apply or you should just stock that meter to have more damage when you hit what you want to hit. Now you add this on top of wanting to maximize your meter usage and you may not want to take something like a BB BE if a CE punish matters in the matchup. That might even change as the match progresses, but that matters more in the next section.

dont_waste_your_time_tshirt-p235040482445326423zv6pp_400.jpg
Don't waste your meter either

Wasting meter is a huge huge problem for many players, many of which don't realize the concept for what it is. The main wastes of meter come from sitting on 200% and losing the 2nd round at over 100%. Even BE moves for pressure are a waste in many circumstances such as a BE throw, but in many other circumstances it's a great idea. Many of these ideas are based around not being able to generate over 200% of meter and then some of them are based more around turning meter into damage.

Sitting on 200% is something of a character specific thing, many characters like Algol have 200% meter combos that are worth wasting a bit of bar. But if you look at Ezio for example, sitting on 200% meter gains you nothing and denies you any further meter gain. Simply put, unless you want to hit a 200% meter combo, sitting on that 200% is denying your meter gain. So unless you're in the final round there is long term loss received by sitting there.

Now you have the concept of losing that 2nd round with over 100% meter. You gain 100% meter so if it pushed you over 200% you have “wasted” but it's not quite so clear cut. This ties as much into the round count as anything, I'm going to stick to a basic example of the 1-1 round count. This puts you either on match point or with 100% more meter at it's end. So any way you cut it spending down to under 100% is a good idea. Either you have 2 rounds to end it with 100%ish or you have 200%ish with an extra meter usage for pressure + 0 wasted meter.

Then we have the illustrious BE for pressure, this can range from a BE you plan on your opponent blocking or a BE grab or any other mixup. The grab's are technically a “waste” as they can be broken and end up netting 0 damage for 50% meter... This doesn't apply to Astaroth because he can spend the meter after seeing the grab not get broken. The BE you plan on someone blocking can still be an effective use of meter, provided you break someone's guard in a situation you wouldn't otherwise be able to break them. The trick with that is you need to weigh the meter cost to include the break move... I can't think of a good example for this one outside of some killshot attempts that are intended to burn off a bunch of meter.

Now if you have a character such as Algol who wants to sit on 2 meters, the whole sitting on 2 bars may not be such a waste. You have to find a way to weigh the value of that 2 bar combo vs losing a portion of your meter. So if you don't plan on using that 2 bar combo the round you're in, spend down with a BE when you get 2 full or close to it. This applies to some degree to any character that wants to use 2 full meters in a combo, because when you look at what you get from it many characters that can don't really want to in most circumstances. Just like learning what your meter gives you it comes down to your character, so figure it out for yourself :)

That's a lot to take in at once... I didn't think I was even gonna get this done this week after spending so much time on the player wiki. Next week should be a bit easier, because I pretty much based my Leixia gameplay around the guard meter. Make sure you guys check out the other stuff we have going on the front page and thanks for reading my column.

This is Tim "@BrewtusBibulus" Fennessey saying thanks for checking out 8wayrun this week :)

GI CE.... BRILLIANT! WHY DIDN"T I THINK OF THAT!?

Yeah, it came to my attention when I took one said GI CE to the face last week.

Also, just in general, this is one of the most rewarding games out there. It's so good.

Anyways, good article yet again. Realizing you like writing, Bib?

Ezio gets 90+ Damage off his CE because of the Clean Hit A opportunity. Only Ezio and Mitsurugi have a Clean Hit A in their CEs.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any mention about meter-gain because some characters (Nightmare, Patroklos) gain stupid amounts of meter than say, Ezio or Mitsurugi.

Nice article though!

Also, I think Bibulus should do an article on the Guard Burst and its specifics (Although I'm sure that it'll be covered in the next installment of Technical Jargon)

With Yoshimitsu's BEs ALL being such dirt (seriously, just terrible), and his CE being the most damaging in the game (110 raw), I think GI -> CE is perhaps the most (and nearly only) viable way to use his meter.

With Yoshimitsu's BEs ALL being such dirt (seriously, just terrible), and his CE being the most damaging in the game (110 raw), I think GI -> CE is perhaps the most (and nearly only) viable way to use his meter.
his CE does kill step to a degree but its not like hildes

I always thought this would be a waste @_@ 150? for 71 damage... owait im using leixia. That might be why. Ya have fun mang.

Why not JG CE? @_@
JG is harder to do consistently on any move, and GI CE has the chance that they will waste one BE worth trying to counter GI only to eat it in the face.

great article! mind if I use it for my league?
Just as long as you credit me for writing and link back here, you can use it for whatever you want.

Oof, you use whatever metric suits you. I will use whatever metric suits me. It's all the same and I put the guide there so regardless of what you're used to you will understand what it means

Why isn't Hates writing this stuff? No offense, but he's a much better writer. His pictures were also better at supporting the point of the article. This is just so plain.

JG is harder to do consistently on any move, and GI CE has the chance that they will waste one BE worth trying to counter GI only to eat it in the face.

Ya true, but a technique being hard to do isn't too much of an issue at high play. Good players MAKE themselves consistent with hard techniques(depending on how hard it is) and from what I understand JG isn't all that hard. It's not like they have to JG every move anyway. But ya I see the 50 meter waste happening. Makes sense.

To put it simple, after a successful GI you have a free CE since you can't GI CEs :) obviously this is better for characters with a very damaging CE like Hilde.

Live streams

2 Viewers
RespectVibes
RespectVibes
Casual Online Matches - Kilik
1 Viewers
SmartMouth420
SmartMouth420
SoulCaliburVI. Try to get gold on Arcade and continue new character.
1 Viewers
VileDeathxWave
VileDeathxWave
Last attempt at peace with internet and obs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back