= Teh Gatsu’s SC UNIVERSE Temple, post-quarantine edition =

No one else mentioned it, so I guess I’ll be the one to say it. You misspelled Ashlotte, both in her name and in her wiki link.

I like the design notes, shame there won’t be more going forward... maybe when they’re all done? The insights really complete the gallery, I think.

The king is back! I don't know how you do it, but your creations always end up looking like they could be a real character in the base game. Your use of texturing, color choice, and special equipment is always spot on, and so seamless it's hard to notice any of it unless you're really paying attention. Rock, Edge Master, Algol, Olcadan, Charade, Berseker, Abyss, and Ashlotte are all really clever and deceptively simple. I don't even know how you made Abyss. Great work all around.

As for specifics, I like your take on Shura. She looks pretty different from her original design, but is still immediately recognizable. Also. something about her with Groh's style just works. Scheherazade also looks really nice, and that's saying something because I never liked that character. Oh, and that Olcadan head is absolutely hilarious.
At some point he had the double 3D object glitch to simulate animated fire inside the chest, but i wanted him to have both the head crest and the forearm horns so i had to give up on that special effect :D
What glitch? I'm curious now.

ROUND 3

As said had fun here, lot of redesign freedom

VERCCI - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Vercci
1591285740815.png

EDGARDO - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Edgardo
1591285891928.png

JOHAN DURER - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Johan_Dürer
1591285983047.png

GEORGE VON KRONE - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/George_von_Krone
1591286354960.png

ROTHION - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Rothion
1591285852947.png

MODOTAKUYO - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Gel-o-Fury
1591286171682.png

KUNPAETKU - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Kunpaetku
1591286273614.png

SALIA OLSCHMIDT - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Salia_Olschmidt
1591285775491.png

KYAM - https://soulcalibur.fandom.com/wiki/Kyam
1591286073911.png

@Norik a bit hard to explain, but easy to do on pratical level: if you take two geometric 3D objects (example two cilinders) of different colors and put them almost on same position with very minimal (+1/-1) position difference, the tetxure of flat surface "fry" lke an old broken television

SOUL CALIBUR 3 IS NEXT

Yeah this is it my firend @Gatsu! Edgardo looks really close to his SoulCalibur III artwork and you created him just like the artwork! I curious about his hair and beard. BTW I love the malfested Johan! Modotakuyo and Kunpaetku are the true masterpieces! Perfect work one more time. I'm waiting for more!

There's a lot of things that are incredible about your creations, but I especially love your usage of face paint for these characters. It really makes each one feel unique from each other and other CaS, even when they're using the same face(s).

Now if only Rothion actually looked like that in the game's story mode... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If anybody i try to guess the fuck happened to Durer, i used SC1 art as source/inspiration
1591371481616.png
1591371287985.png

I love basic Durer design (i wish back then they gone on with their intention to have him as official/playable char), but doing so many characters the risk of him being just "generic knight" was high, so i took something that was very different while still staying inside SC lore/design

I curious about his hair and beard.
@Kostas_Greece Edgardo hair:
1 "legionary crest" for the beard (mostly inside the head)
1 "legionary crest" for the hair
1 "white feather" on top of forehead to do the frontal lock of hair + texture to mesh with the legionary crest

Names are probably wrong (i don't have the english names) but i'm sure you recognize the objects anyway

If anybody i try to guess the fuck happened to Durer, i used SC1 art as source/inspiration
View attachment 75792View attachment 75791

I love basic Durer design (i wish back then they gone on with their intention to have him as official/playable char), but doing so many characters the risk of him being just "generic knight" was high, so i took something that was very different while still staying inside SC lore/design

@Kostas_Greece Edgardo hair:
1 "legionary crest" for the beard (mostly inside the head)
1 "legionary crest" for the hair
1 "white feather" on top of forehead to do the frontal lock of hair + texture to mesh with the legionary crest

Names are probably wrong (i don't have the english names) but i'm sure you recognize the objects anyway

Thanks so much Gatsu for Edgardo's hair and beard!

Those are all totally legit but gel-o-fury is badass and reminds me of that djinn of yours in the previous thread. Olcadan is clever and reminds me fondly of our animal kingdom sc5 thread...

I never liked a lot of these SCIII bonus character designs, they always seemed overdesigned and not really on the same level as real characters. That said, these are definitely some faithful recreations. I like the aged-up Luna; that hair works a lot better for her than I would've imagined. Chester and Strife are also looking nice and regal, if not a bit too CaSy.

Also, those golden accents on Keres work a lot better than I would expect. What texture is that?

My friend Gatsu, everyone looks perfect, so beautiful colors and the right parts to create those fan favorite SoulCalibur III Bonus Characters! It seems like that those Bonus characters returned officially in SoulCalibur VI! I think that you will show us more. Am I right?

P.S. Why Aurelia uses Zasalamel's style and not Ivy's?

I find it neat that you’ve gone with Chester’s 3p, but kept his original hair and left out the monocle. I always did find it a bit strange that he... aged? seemingly in such a short period of time. I like it a lot. Still a shame that his fighting style hasn’t been represented since SoulCalibur III.

Miser and Greed are looking cool, too.

Valeria is probably my favorite of the bunch, honestly. She’s got a lot of detail going for her, and I could see this being an official design if she were running the shops again. No Grieve Edge style, but you’ve done as I have with Kierkess and just made do with Maxi, who’s got a great selection of kicks. I love it.

I see Aurelia is feeling spicy on the left side there. :sc5lei1:
But I share Kostas’s sentiment that she should be using Ivy’s style.

No shots of Luna from behind, but I’m assuming that she doesn’t have daggers on her belt, though I do like your double crossed belt illusion you’ve got going on there. I’m also not sure if you’ve done the hemming and back design on her jacket, though you may have. A combination of her face and hair does make her seem a bit older, where she’s more of a brash youth in the original, but that’s probably just my accuracy to the source material want and need screaming.

Colossus is neat, just a shame he can’t be a real titan...

Keres is also very nice, second best among the group. The gold accents especially brought out because of Gram just really make him appear to emanate power, much as his can’t be touched original self was. I think his aura was red, but there were gold auras too, but as a matter of color synergy, gold definitely works.

That Rothion is better than the Disney Prince we got. How can that pretty boy be a blacksmith?

Valeria makes me sad how we don’t have many good choices to create fancy dresses. One of my own has much of the same lower set but it was different in her SCV incarnation.

Another fine collection of folks there Gatsu!! :sc4amy1:

While I myself simply recreate what's in the game, you go above and beyond to make them look a lot more unique, and I like that a lot.

Daniel and Valtro both definitely have their original feeling, but accessorized very well to make them "pop" a bit more, very nice!

Bolta also looks a lot better wearing the long boots, and it's quite a bit more fitting than those leather straps she wears in Libra of Soul. 2B's Machine Lifeform weapons are also a very good fit for her, maybe her master style? Since she uses so many styles every time you meet her.

Orzal and Curtis, you've given them a bit more identity. That's one of the Aval Organization's quirks, I think, is that that come across far too plain, which, in a way, makes sense, being a strict organization that would have such a rule of a dress code, but each member does have a bit of originality to them, just not really.. enough, to make them stand out like Grøh does. But you've made these two look quite nice, I wonder how you'd jazz up Dion and Natalie?

Wilhelm is my favorite of this bunch, I think. You obviously can't make it exactly like his story art, but this is definitely an effort the spirit wolf would be proud of! He's got that edgelord vibe going but still in that proud soldier way, which fits his character to a T. Lots of detail, too, with the emblems and such.

Lingyu is then I think my least favorite of this bunch. I know you took some artistic liberties with these, but I'm not sure why you made the change from her long coat to the shorter Chinese dress and changed her weapon. I thought she looked quite elegant in her original appearance, and she's lost a bit of that here with your changes you've made. It just doesn't have the same vibes, it's like she's trying to emulate Xianghua now instead of being her opposite.

Frederick is cool, not a whole lot to say really, he's got that ghoulish look going for him, Cervantes would approve.

Lyla is like Bolta, you've kept all her original parts for the most part and yet added accent and detail to make her all the more unique. Tira's style is oddly fitting, I think, I'd have to see it in action to be sure, but visualizing it, I can see it working, though the hunting knives worked well for her originally.

Kong is looking suave and well-traveled, or in other words, you've captured him perfectly.

@DanteSC3 (+ some considerations)

design notes

- On Orzal and Curtis i'm glad the core concept has been fully understood, the point was exactly detail them up to Groh's level , while mantain clear the Aval org look.
On Orzal the vibe was have him being the rough and stoic veteran leader a la MGS5 Solid Snake, while on Curtis reading his bio (he comes from an ancient family of english knights) i opted for a more shining paladin imagery.
Orzal so used to get dirty work done that his uniform have pragmatic mercenary vibe, almost an hunter (loved give him the rifle too), while Curtis uniform like his weapon is much more decorative, almost a parade high uniform... the point there is showing Curtis family not embracing fully (or at all) Aval's passage from knights to lower profile agents
Liked also play this on colors, where Orzal's dark and gritty ones have a counterpart in bright and vivid Curtis color palette

- For Dion and Natalie i'm not sure, tbh before read you mention them i did not even considered their inclusion.
On one side i feel they're veryvery marginal and not charismatic, on the other they're so conceptually weak that they leave lot of room for redesign.
I may consider, but i feel do 2 more with Aval's mandatory points risk to become truly redundant (at first i was'nt even sure about add Curtis).
Maybe one of them, as we speak i have an half idea on how Dion can work

- About Lingyu i was looking for a unexpected (->western) piece that could pass as chinese and i just loved these gloves wich required a sleveless tunic.
Overall i like her and feel the height combined with Raph stance give a pretty distinctive look next to Xianghua... i picked on purpose shots that got her in plastic/dynamic pose to have some kung fu vibe, but reality is Raph's animations set them world aparts.
About weapon, i picked the one that gone the most away from a classical european shape and for that i did'nt liked their pick, the Royal Rpier had too much western look on the guard/hilt section. Though the Epee with the right coloration could have sold a more exotic origin, all while looking a more light sword

- General consideration on Frederick as i feel is the less immediate concept
The point here was portrait him as a sort of symbolic nightmare/vision that haunt Siegfried's dreams, so not only he have the i'msofuckingdead zombie look, but also carry the family gravestone to add symbolism to the image.
It make clear to Sieg the accusation on him every second Frederick is on screen, almost like incarnate the murder/sin itself rather than the father
I liked to use the eagle as a decorative statue on the tombstone, making up it being some sort of symbol of the Schtauffen family... linking also to Schwarzwind phoenix emblem
His reference look is obviously SC1 ending one (rather than SC4 cas), but it also reference his canon death: in SC1 Sieg stab him on the belly, while on reality canon wise Sieg killed him by decapitation... for that reason i gave him an huge scar that goes around the neck (not so visible in pics) as if the head has been reattached.
Fun story, an head-less Frederick has been considered by namco as a char back to SC1... i tried to rep that too while doing mine

- Not much visible, but Kong have a bit on red on cheeks, simulating he drink a lot and he's often a little drunk lol

Last edited:
Back