Things you DON'T wanna see in SC6

I have played most of the previous titles, the only one's I haven't played is SC1, Lost Swords, Unbreakable Soul and Legends.

Did you really just say that the Critical Finish in SC4 was OP? most characters and players could barely pull that unless they went into the final round and even then it wasn't as likely to occur since most defence gauges were pretty high, only character who made good use of this was Voldo since a lot of his attacks wrecked the guard gauge. So realistically the only ways you're gonna get CF'd is if you block too much.
If you honestly think it's a mechanic to counter experienced players...then maybe you're as good as you think you are. granted SC4 was trash anyway.

lol what? what game are you even playing? I swear you're coming out with the most uninformed opinions...at this point I have to ask if you've actually played any of the SC titles at all.
Seriously...becoming overwhelmed by strings in Sc2 and 3? there's a pretty easy fix to that...training mode and working on your string defence.

you honestly sound like someone who just wants an easy ride and doesn't want to put any effort to try and widen the gap between himself and lesser skilled players and just expect wins to be handed down to you.

but lets run with that logic for a second, by that definition you should be able to come along and defeat me in SCV no problem, I like to think I've learned the game a fair bit, so by that you should be at my level despite not having put much effort into this game.

Idk how hard is it to pull off a CF for you, it seems to be slightly harder than CE for me, not a lot
Since pulling off strings to force opponent into excessive guarding would result in the guard crush than opens for a CF ?
Or maybe I have been lucky that none of my opponents are as skilled as you ?

Though I couldn't disagree with SC4 being trash.

I didn't play all the SC games, these are the few I played.
SC2 (Arcade, XBOX & PS2), SC3 (PS2), SC4 (Ps3),SCBD (PSP),SCV (PS3)
I guess I could have played too little to be considered uninformed.

I guess string defence depends on how proficient a player is at it,
so is the opponent pulling off the strings. As well as specific weakness of certain characters
a player is going up against.

Nope easy ride is not really my cup of tea, slashing dummy does not consider fighting,
Though I am too much of a slacker to be anywhere good either.
My practice mode setting is usually "Ultra Hard" on SC2 or "Very Hard" on SC5 which I am not really well versed in SC5.
(this is the difficulty I could hold off the AI effectively and basically hurt each other equally bad)

Though I know using AI to describe the opponent's skill level is rather pointless, I generally refer to the responsiveness
in countering my moves as well as the speed and intensity of attack simulated by the AI. That I usually use AI for checking moves
to see how viable those would be before using on actual opponent.

Nope, I sucks at SC5 big time, I havent been playing it for nearly 2 years, have to find time for warming up. CE is the best trick I can pull off now I guess.

Last edited:
Idk how hard is it to pull off a CF for you, it seems to be slightly harder than CE for me, not a lot
Since pulling off strings to force opponent into excessive guarding would result in the guard crush than opens for a CF ?
Or maybe I have been lucky that none of my opponents are as skilled as you ?

Though I couldn't disagree with SC4 being trash.

I didn't play all the SC games, these are the few I played.
SC2 (Arcade, XBOX & PS2), SC3 (PS2), SC4 (Ps3),SCBD (PSP),SCV (PS3)
I guess I could have played too little to be considered uninformed.

I guess string defence depends on how proficient a player is at it,
so is the opponent pulling off the strings. As well as specific weakness of certain characters
a player is going up against.

Nope easy ride is not really my cup of tea, slashing dummy does not consider fighting,
Though I am too much of a slacker to be anywhere good either.
My practice mode setting is usually "Ultra Hard" on SC2 or "Very Hard" on SC5 which I am not really well versed in SC5.
(this is the difficulty I could hold off the AI effectively and basically hurt each other equally bad)

Though I know using AI to describe the opponent's skill level is rather pointless, I generally refer to the responsiveness
in countering my moves as well as the speed and intensity of attack simulated by the AI. That I usually use AI for checking moves
to see how viable those would be before using on actual opponent.

Nope, I sucks at SC5 big time, I havent been playing it for nearly 2 years, have to find time for warming up. CE is the best trick I can pull off now I guess.

lemme just say, even as Nightmare it's pretty difficult.
well pulling off strings against people who have bad string defence and have no idea how to play the game in general is going to yield such things.

string defence in the end, is knowing the matchup...what moves you can step, what moves you can interrupt, what moves you can punish...if your opponent doesn't know any of that in his current matchup, then you're just abusing his matchup ignorance. and honestly you can't call a mechanic OP because of that.

well how about I give you some warmup time

CE has absolutely nothing to do with not being skilled, in fact, its so telegraphed most of the times that you actually need to time it very perfectly in order to land it, otherwise you have wasted meter and opened yourself for counters. And that is not a professional or competitive player talking to you, I just play the game a lot, and its kinda obvious for anyone to see. Also, you talk about CF in SC4, but the truth is that the guard break took so damn long to actually happen, that by the time you actually managed to guard break your opponent, he/she would likely be near death anyways. If anything, those supermoves made the game more exciting and rewarded timing better, and lets be honest, new things must be added besides just weapon swinging, otherwise, the game will become repetitive with the lack of gameplay changes.

lemme just say, even as Nightmare it's pretty difficult.
well pulling off strings against people who have bad string defence and have no idea how to play the game in general is going to yield such things.

string defence in the end, is knowing the matchup...what moves you can step, what moves you can interrupt, what moves you can punish...if your opponent doesn't know any of that in his current matchup, then you're just abusing his matchup ignorance. and honestly you can't call a mechanic OP because of that.

well how about I give you some warmup time

I guess that happened to a lot of matches. Meeting an equally strong opponent and having a lasting battle is very rare.
Usually it goes along the line of either side with obvious advantage and battles are one-sided winning.

I still have some feuds to settle, some tidying and cleaning up to do.
Before things get back in order and I can comfortably lay my hands on a controller or hori.

Calm down, peeps. We don't need to see people showing their dominance and swinging cocks at each other.

I guess for a game where we swing swords at each other, swinging cocks is something very mild, no need to overreact.

And this is casual forums so I guess we are literally "talking cock"

so then the solution is simple, don't make ignorant posts and educate yourself by understanding SCV a little better.

Nothing ignorant about it. I just don't like supers in fighting games. Playing Soul Calibur V wouldn't change that for me. Besides while I may not have a ton of knowledge about SCV's mechanics, it's common sense that a move is tougher to use when you need to press more buttons with stronger timing. In Soul Edge the move has two parts and you need to land the 2nd part with strict timing or else you'll lose out on a lot of damage. If it gets blocked or you miss, you open yourself up to punishment and on top of that lose a 3rd of your weapon gauge. Lose the whole thing and you get to fight barehanded for the rest of the round. The flip side is Critical Edges did more damage in that game. Compared to SCV they were higher risk, higher reward and I like that.

Also CE's in V took you out of the game with a short cutscene. There should never be cutscenes during a match in a fighting game. It should all be real time.

Also CE's in V took you out of the game with a short cutscene. There should never be cutscenes during a match in a fighting game. It should all be real time.
Meh, those cutscenes are rarely longer than your average throw animation, don't get ridiculous.
In Soul Edge the move has two parts and you need to land the 2nd part with strict timing or else you'll lose out on a lot of damage. If it gets blocked or you miss, you open yourself up to punishment and on top of that lose a 3rd of your weapon gauge. Lose the whole thing and you get to fight barehanded for the rest of the round. The flip side is Critical Edges did more damage in that game. Compared to SCV they were higher risk, higher reward and I like that.
1) second part is not that hard, it was mostly :2::3::6:+something, :4::1::2::3::6:+something or :6::2::3:+something - there is nothing hard about those motions. And timing was a lot simplier than you probably remember. I played SE not so long ago for nostalgia sake and those CE are extremely easy in terms of input, difference between SCV CE's and SE are minor in that.
2) First you say supers are bad, because of easy dmg, then you say that dealing ~75% dmg with one move, just because it's [doubtfully, compared to SCV meter-management] more risky is okay. Aren't that making the whole game one big flip of a coin? Because CE's and CF's are far more strict on conditions in which you are "able to try" to use them in SCIV/V, while SE's CE's are available from the get go.

I guess I am too much of a nerd to think super moves like CE is more of a gimmick that appeals to the
generic fighting game players.

Something which I personally hate in other fighting games.
As well as the main reason I played SC in the first place.

Though I guess swinging sword around might be too boring for others.
I tend to get overly nerdy even on games.

I think there is a misconception about the safety of CE's in SCV in this thread. They are almost all launch punishable on block, the only exception that comes to mind is DJ's.

So there are people ( @JayChang ) here arguing whether super moves take skill or not with very little understanding of fundamental fighting game mechanics in a competitive setting. It doesn't really matter if a certain moves takes skill or not to execute in a fighting game, what matters is balance. Critical Edges in SCV are pretty balanced, they all have risk/reward with very few exceptions. The ones that don't involve much risk still require you to use resources. The skill in using super moves comes in decision making. For example you cant just throw out NM's CE at random because their is HUGE risk involved, you eat the other character's highest damage combo or move if you do whiff. You have to catch on to patterns or use them on blockstrings or to alleviate pressure like say Viola bullshit. A more standard CE like say Pat's requires you to use it in combos, block punishes, or yolo. If its blocked or whiffs you are also going to be eating a lot of damage.

Nothing ignorant about it. I just don't like supers in fighting games. Playing Soul Calibur V wouldn't change that for me. Besides while I may not have a ton of knowledge about SCV's mechanics, it's common sense that a move is tougher to use when you need to press more buttons with stronger timing. In Soul Edge the move has two parts and you need to land the 2nd part with strict timing or else you'll lose out on a lot of damage. If it gets blocked or you miss, you open yourself up to punishment and on top of that lose a 3rd of your weapon gauge. Lose the whole thing and you get to fight barehanded for the rest of the round. The flip side is Critical Edges did more damage in that game. Compared to SCV they were higher risk, higher reward and I like that.

making an uninformed opinion, without digging in to the knowledge or trying to confirm your statements is pretty much ignorance.
supers...by that logic...you pretty much don't like 90% of fighting games...CE's in soul blade technically counts as super, so deep down you must not like that either.
while you can argue that a move is tougher to use etc etc, you gotta debate how practical it is, CE for that time honestly doesn't sound practical at all...the risk seems to outweigh the reward for me.

fk me fighting games have been using cutscenes and pausing play since the early days, how is this even a complaint?

So there are people ( @JayChang ) here arguing whether super moves take skill or not with very little understanding of fundamental fighting game mechanics in a competitive setting. It doesn't really matter if a certain moves takes skill or not to execute in a fighting game, what matters is balance. Critical Edges in SCV are pretty balanced, they all have risk/reward with very few exceptions. The ones that don't involve much risk still require you to use resources. The skill in using super moves comes in decision making. For example you cant just throw out NM's CE at random because their is HUGE risk involved, you eat the other character's highest damage combo or move if you do whiff. You have to catch on to patterns or use them on blockstrings or to alleviate pressure like say Viola bullshit. A more standard CE like say Pat's requires you to use it in combos, block punishes, or yolo. If its blocked or whiffs you are also going to be eating a lot of damage.

I have a habit to use CE exclusively when the opponent has taken a launcher, left airborne and is unable to guard.
Most other follow up moves seems to be dealing too little damage for that situation, but a well placed CE would pretty much end the match
especially when the opponent is left with 25% or lesser HP.

A follow up with unblockable right after the opponent has taken a CE could be timed so that it impacts just when the opponent lands.
that can stack to about 40-45% of the HP being taken out in 3 consecutive moves with reasonably low risk.

the only way might be dashing out of the CE's range while airborne, since if a CE miss on the first hit do not proceed with follow up cuts, you can recover just as the opponent land and recover.

At other instances it is possible for the opponent to guard or side step depending on the character that you threw the CE with
or even GI your CE off given proper input timing.

not sure if this counts as "fundamental" ?.

launcher ~ CE is generally how most basic CE combos go, with certain exceptions of course,
following up with an unblockable depends on the player if that works...most of the time it won't.
also very few launchers have low risk, other than most are punishable. pretty much EVERY CE has a risk and unblockables are too slow.

you can't dash out of anything while airborne you can air control but you would have to have done another attack after the initial launcher.

only CE's that be GI'd are Viola's and Siegfried's, all can be JG'd tho, barring Ivy's, Asta's and Damp's...unless you're ZWEI or Viola

Back