Top 3 characters by Keev, Akire, Daishi, Hyrul, and RTD from World Finals

Any kind of damage can add up to do significant damage, no matter how small it is. That's practically one of Viola's strengths; her damage imput may be low, but her attack rate and lengthy combos make up that shortcoming.

But that was only two hits. At most an extra 8 to 10 damage from the character size.

But that was only two hits. At most an extra 8 to 10 damage from the character size.
Point is no matter how small added damage is, it will accumulate and destroy you. That's why Character Creation in SCV is banned. I'm feeling very tired after non-stop homework, so I'm not in the mood for any kind of debate at the moment :p

I thought match ups decided tiers? There was a post previously about it.

And i would say every character is viable, not great. It's hard to be a great character when you have a lot of or very powerful weaknesses. Raphael's side step issues being one of them. Sure you can work around that weakness but it's still something that will always give Raphael trouble.
All I'm sayin is, too many people put way too much stock into tournament results to figure out who's "top-tier" and who's "not-viable".

If some random player came out tomorrow and started winning 6 tourneys in a row with Raphael, we'd see tons of people start preaching about how "Raphael was secretly top tier the whole time" or "Raphael has to be moved up the tier list a few places due to so-and-so's performance" when the character's tools haven't been changed at all.

Likewise, if we don't see Cervantes, APat or Mitsurugi dominate EVO, people will start preaching about how those characters are "soooo overrated and are B tier at best blah-blah-blah" when again, nothing about the character has changed.

At their core, matchups between characters are determined by differences in their tools, are they not? I thought that was the whole basis in determining a matchup... which then would determine the tiers.

I'd have to say the sieg is the most OP character in da game his 3B is of epic proportions and gosh dang diddly do da its fast too!!!!

Astaroth has.... throws...
Everyone has throws, obviously his reach is a bit better, but it's despite the point that everyone has the potential to continually attempt to throw you. His 123 B+G is the primary concern. Get used to hitting B to tech it, yes he has low throws but again if you're blocking him high, they're not going to be a problem. His lows are really obvious..take him into the lab you'll see what I mean.

There is not 1 bad Character at this game, learn it and you will see, if you cant win dont blame the character, look at the mirror, and you will see whos guilty.

omega getting cocky lmao win a tourney without nightmare first(top tier) and this statement could be valid.

omega getting cocky lmao win a tourney without nightmare first(top tier) and this statement could be valid.
Nightmare isn't top tier, and even if he was, your point is still invalid because Omega won matches in tournament play against some of the best players in the world with Siegfried.

Everyone has throws, obviously his reach is a bit better, but it's despite the point that everyone has the potential to continually attempt to throw you. His 123 B+G is the primary concern. Get used to hitting B to tech it, yes he has low throws but again if you're blocking him high, they're not going to be a problem. His lows are really obvious..take him into the lab you'll see what I mean.

the B command throw isnt the primary concern. the A command throw with the JF does 74 damage and has the possibility for clean hit. i'll take that all day if you are too stubborn to mix up your breaks. a landed B command throw is just the icing on the cake when you do get to land it.

also you dont have to duck for asta crouch throws to be effective. he can make you guess a break off of CH 4A, CH 1BB, CH 6A and a few other moves, not to mention he can use them as low block punishment.

^ So true.

You know the quickest way to lose against any good Astaroth? Standing.
Astaroth's job in a match is to make you want to stand, then slaughter you when you do. I'm fortunate with my main as his risk/reward vs a throw mid mixup trumps Astaroth hands down, but the principals applied to competing with the big man are universal.

with the constant patches, the level between tiers is becoming less and less. sure, they exist, but it's not like sc4 where there were no patches and ivy and hilde ruled the world.

if you find something broke or cheap with a character, it will be patched. since there is no easy way out anymore, the best thing you can do is master the character that you like or even try a counter picking strat.

"If you know your enemy and you know yourself , you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles. If you do not know your enemies but you know yourself, you will win one and lose one. If you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

Sun Tzu was talking about Tier lists in the 6th century BC. :P

Excellent selection. Sun Tzu is required reading for anyone engaging in any sort of competitive endeavor that requires strategic analysis. Here's a quote I came across from one of my friends in the Tekken community.

"The scrub plays the character. The beginner plays the game. The master plays the opponent."

I did mention Cervy too but my bit got corrupted. He is super strong. I do think ά pat is stronger though.

He's bottom tier, you must be playing some amazing Cervy player to think he's top...

Lol at Hyrul's part corrupted. Who cares what he thinks anyway, he didn't even earn his place there.

-Natsu best in the game
-Siegfried one of the worst
-Astaroth possibly top 3
-Ivy no where mentioned

This video is pure silliness.

Also the idea that a character is garbage at first but becomes EXTREMELY good if they "Get in your head" is ridiculous. Just say they are extremely good characters. If they were actually not that great why would they be everywhere and winning just about everything? This video is actually more confusing than enlightening if the creator of the game thinks Siegfried is bad and Natsu is possibly the best. If nightmare is not the best he is certainly somewhere at the top

you must be dumb or something.

Nightmare is really unsafe and if you GUESS WRONG you end up getting fucked, when NM hits you he does alot of damage and leads in to techtraps, so although the moves/character do alot for you they also do alot of bad for you.

Characters with high risk reward do not make good tourney characters, the good characters are ones that do alot of damage and have good setups even when you guess wrong, which is what the top 3 have.

you must be dumb or something.

Nightmare is really unsafe and if you GUESS WRONG you end up getting fucked, when NM hits you he does alot of damage and leads in to techtraps, so although the moves/character do alot for you they also do alot of bad for you.

Characters with high risk reward do not make good tourney characters, the good characters are ones that do alot of damage and have good setups even when you guess wrong, which is what the top 3 have.

You must be dumb or something bringing this up so late as it has already been brought up that frame data doesnt mean much in this game.

That's not me saying that it's Omega, i just happen to agree. If frames meant everything Nightmare would never see the light of day because like you said he is extremely unsafe. If frames meant everything than Leixia and Natsu would be the best in the game as they are quick and safe on a lot of their strings but hard frame data is not the be all and end all of judging a character's effectiveness. Also if any character in general guesses wrong or whiffs an attack they will get punished for it, that's a universal rule everyone follows. I believe in this game getting in your opponents head is one of the most important part of playing a character in this game, it's up to the player to make you respect and fear their character not their frames.

You must be dumb or something bringing this up so late as it has already been brought up that frame data doesnt mean much in this game.

That's not me saying that it's Omega, i just happen to agree. If frames meant everything Nightmare would never see the light of day because like you said he is extremely unsafe. If frames meant everything than Leixia and Natsu would be the best in the game as they are quick and safe on a lot of their strings but hard frame data is not the be all and end all of judging a character's effectiveness. Also if any character in general guesses wrong or whiffs an attack they will get punished for it, that's a universal rule everyone follows. I believe in this game getting in your opponents head is one of the most important part of playing a character in this game, it's up to the player to make you respect and fear their character not their frames.

Since when is Natsu safe?

it's up to the player to make you respect and fear their character not their frames.
You've never played a good alpha player have you?

If I realise you do not know Alpha's frames on block and hit inside out, I will rape you with twister all day untill you're stood blocking in a corner for 80% of the match. Frames are a basis, tournament play does not revolve around them because EVERYBODY knows them, so disrespecting frames deliberately is a common occurance. If you don't have that basis however, you are so free its ridiculous.

Frames mean about as much in this game as they do in any game. There have always been moves that are only safe at tip range and players attacking at disadvantage to beat some setup.

I can't speak for Omega, but I suspect "frames don't matter" means something along the lines of "you can't discount a move only for having bad frames." If you just look at the frames, Cervy aB is a pretty terrible move, but if you use it appropriately it's actually really good.

tournament play does not revolve around them because EVERYBODY knows them, so disrespecting frames deliberately is a common occurance. If you don't have that basis however, you are so free its ridiculous.

That's the part i'm trying to get at, sure there are some moves you have to respect, ones that will mess up you regardless if you dont respect them, but as for the rest like you said disrespecting the rest happens quite a lot.

And no, sadly i have yet to face a good A Pat. I've fought several decent ones, just not any who could give me a run for my money.

Since when is Natsu safe?

Maybe Pyrrha would have been a better example, i just know several of natsu's attack strings are safe. Just not her things like wind roll and possession.

Back