Viola Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

Nah, its worthless. Your reset options are the same after 8A+B

WELL. After an EXTENSIVE FIFTEEN MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION, I'm pretty assured of :2::A+B:'s superiority as a finisher. It's definitely got more advantage, though this made less difference than I expected and most of the time you're still not going to be hit out of your :6::B+K: setup if you used :8::A+B:. However, Alpha Patroklos can just get up and CE or whatever else he does immediately and it will likely score a CH...not so with :2::A+B:. I also distinctly remember getting hit out of it after :8::A+B: in combat with other characters, but even my UNQUESTIONABLY THOROUGH INVESTIGATION cannot extend to the vagaries of actual gameplay.

The real clincher though is in the opponent's ability to roll backwards out of the trap, and even - in the case of some characters (Oprah, say) - punish heavily. You may be able to catch them with :2::B+K: BE, but it is definitely an evasive option for the opponent that :2::A+B: does not offer. You need to guess right twice to damage them, rather than just once. And anyway, :2::B+K: BE only really becomes an option when your opponent is consistently rolling back - who likes spending a brave edge only for it to get blocked with nothing to show for it? Viola has better metre options.

Also, after a :4::4::A: BE, :2::A+B: only does 3 damage less and so I think is pretty obviously better in this case. I would even consider using it primarily over the standard finisher, thanks to the damage scaling.

Does Viola actually have any tech traps? That are actually worth the while I mean. Any tech traps like Pyrrha's 22_88A 66B BE?

Does Viola actually have any tech traps? That are actually worth the while I mean. Any tech traps like Pyrrha's 22_88A 66B BE?
You've got me thinking, but I'm in no position to test this out right now... I wager 6B+K 66B B+K BE is probably a tech trap, and there must be something you can do with 44A... try after a mis-timed 6A+B, they'll always attempt to tech after that... what about 1A+B 44A?

Damn Tales of Xillia...

44A BE does tech trap after 6A+B in air combos. You get a shit ton more damage off the reset if they tech and it also helps prevent them from teching out of mistimed 6A+Bs and escaping combos. KC does that shit all the time.

I'm having trouble getting 2A+B to land after an air AAB, 66B. Every time I try it in training the computer techs out of it even though I'm mashing it as fast as I can after the 66B.

I'm having trouble getting 2A+B to land after an air AAB, 66B. Every time I try it in training the computer techs out of it even though I'm mashing it as fast as I can after the 66B.
I don't believe that's a combo. Launch → Set AAB → 66B → Orb 66A+BB is the standard ender.

hey, I remember seeing orb 6B+K juggle from one of the tokido combo videos, but I can't seem to recreate the same move because opponent keeps air controlling out.

3B AAB 6B+K and what do I do after this? step forward AAB?

No meterless juggles exist.

Edit, there are meterless juggles, but not long ways, or ones with more than one AAB

Last edited:
Back