Viola : Current Issues, and what needs to be fixed.

Is Viola Overpowered? Be Honest...

• Total voters
I know what you're saying. It's a good move for mixups, but honestly, I've met some people that were immune to them to be honest. When you're in the CE (as the opponent) you block high and you just watch Viola to see if she'll do a low. Also the grapples can be easily broken, then the whole CE will stop. This hasn't worked much for me, maybe to others. I won't say it's completely useless though.

She is overpowered, but not broken. but than again so is Mistu, Algol, Asta, Cervantes, and a Patroklos from what iv noticed comparing this patch and back when i stopped playing in vanilla. tbh ain't no point in bitchin', just have fun and flow with it, tis' just a game. If anything we should be happy this sun'av bitch or someone like him isn't in SCV as a playable character, because he was broken.

Imagine if Night Terror used memories of Viola's style rather than Nightmares. The bitching would be endless.

One important note, i hear a lot of talk about people saying Viola's Set 6B+K needs to be nerfed.

And i wanted to know what you guys think. This usually gets brought up in some patch wishlist stuff in other SAs but with other things thrown in.

I just wanted to discuss this one move, should it be altered or left as is? Personally i cant imagine having this move nerfed in any meaningful way that doesnt ruin the character. It's extremely important to her, the very thing that defines her design.

I just wanted to discuss this one move, should it be altered or left as is? Personally i cant imagine having this move nerfed in any meaningful way that doesnt ruin the character. It's extremely important to her, the very thing that defines her design.
Perhaps a longer period where she can't block after activating it, without altering the period after which she can attack? It would keep all 6B+K setups intact but 6B+K > guard would easier to punish.

That's a possibility but I think her moveset is fine as is. She just needs a big portion of her damage output chopped off.

easy way to nerf SET 6B+K without ruining mixups would be to reduce opponents recovery on blocking it. This would for example reduce or even eliminate advantage Viola has on blocked 6B+K 1K.

6B+K is fine the way it is. It's a very predictable move that can be GI'd easily. Though a minor damage nerf maybe okay.

I think :6::B+K: is fine - there are much more broken characters than Viola in this game, as well as characters who are terrible. If those people get sorted, then we can look at Viola. (Even if she does get nerfed, I don't think it should be :6::B+K: so much as her overall damage).

Set 6B+K is not completely fine stop saying that....zzzzz

I'd like to note that, in their online session, Kayane only managed one win with her Viola (out of 7 matches) and at least 3 with Leixia (I can't finish watching it as I have to go). Like I said before, lots of people just don't understand the character and she looks broken when she's winning.

Here are my thoughts on Viola

Strengths:
-Great combo damage
-Awesome pressure
-Good ability to control the field ( at close range)
-Ungodly mind games

Weaknesses:
-Very linear
-Not good at punishing
-unsafe combo starters
-very low damage w/o orb
-Hard to master ( thats my personal opinion of course)
-Glitchy orb

Matchups:
-Pyrrha: As we all know, Pyrrha is a close-range-punish type character. I think this match-up is pretty good considering that both of these characters need to be in close range. Just like Viola,Pyrrha can get some good damage in, especially if your near a wall. l The only problem I would see if a Pyrrha player happens to spam 236B...But hey thats just me :p Also I'm no professional at matchups, so if you think Im wrong, please tell/explain why x)

Viola is a great character, and for the most part I think she's pretty balanced. If your losing alot against a good Viola, it may be the fact that she can be very over-whelming and/or your falling for her mindgames. So...back to
Training! Also I find it helpful to move around alot when fighting a Viola player~ or maybe even try to overwhelm her with attacking because after all she needs to get a chance to 6B+K In honesty, I would put her in the Top 5~

Also...
Kudos to anyone who has mastered her. I find her to be one of the more frustrating characters to master ( other include Patsuka and his almost ludicrous justs) My respect goes out to them awesome Viola players V 3 V

VIOLA OVER POWERED? YEAH RIGHT!
people need to learn the match up, and stop being so lazy.
yes if you block all day and fall for mind games then yes you deserve to lose.
but viola in all honesty is perfectly balanced, people just aren't exploiting her weaknesses.
she cant punish so all her damage has to come from 3b or 44a BE .
the great thing about her is that she now does great damage.
i would say viola is up there with one of the best
shes no SC4 hilde, she has impossible match ups like nightmare for example.

VIOLA OVER POWERED? YEAH RIGHT!
people need to learn the match up, and stop being so lazy.
yes if you block all day and fall for mind games then yes you deserve to lose.
but viola in all honesty is perfectly balanced, people just aren't exploiting her weaknesses.
she cant punish so all her damage has to come from 3b or 44a BE .
the great thing about her is that she now does great damage.
i would say viola is up there with one of the best
shes no SC4 hilde, she has impossible match ups like nightmare for example.

Actually - she is SCIV Hilde now.

She has a 240 damage combo off of 6B+K 2A.

Pretty sure that qualifies as just as bad, now.

Actually - she is SCIV Hilde now.

She has a 240 damage combo off of 6B+K 2A.

Pretty sure that qualifies as just as bad, now.

Well at least it requires meter. And personally is frustrating as hell to land consistently. If someone can do it ten times in a row, hell even 8 times back to back i would amazed. However this is pretty moot seeing as execution barriers should never be reason enough to give characters ridiculous moves / combos. Still it frustrates me to all hell fully landing her 6A+B doom combo.

Well at least it requires meter. And personally is frustrating as hell to land consistently. If someone can do it ten times in a row, hell even 8 times back to back i would amazed. However this is pretty moot seeing as execution barriers should never be reason enough to give characters ridiculous moves / combos. Still it frustrates me to all hell fully landing her 6A+B doom combo.

a 240 damage combo based off of 2A that is as easy as this one is, is pretty much inexcusable.

Maybe because I played Sets in IV, but this combo is relatively easy, and it FOR SURE can be learned to be consistent with a couple hours in training.

This is all she needs:

-6B+K fully ACable
-Less frame advantage from backgrabs (aka remove infinite)

Maybe a damage reduction on B+K BE. Am I missing anything?

This will make her relatively balanced without completely trashing the character.

Perhaps a longer period where she can't block after activating it, without altering the period after which she can attack? It would keep all 6B+K setups intact but 6B+K > guard would easier to punish.

I think it would be better to make 6B+K get interrupted if viola blocks a move, like Zwei B+K BE attack if he blocks a move it gets cancel. so she keeps all her combos, and not get this skewed pressure. Ein has cooldown time, and Zwei B+K BE uses Meter, Viola can use 6B+K whenever.

Back