Viola General Discussion / Q&A

this is very very sad,
I have never felt so destroyed as a viola player

a noob astaroth who used less than 3 moves completely destroyed me for 2 full games. all he did was 1AA/1AB and maybe some simple button press like K, A+B, and grab, and I couldn't even take more than 1 round in each game.

spacing him out with with orbs didn't work because he ducks when he does 1AA, and I can't send mid orbs faster than he can side step. once I closed in, the second I got knocked down and it was over.

in the 3rd and final game, I said screw it and went back to my old astaroth main, and I just completely destroyed him. his strategy wasn't effective at all against a more knowledged astaroth player. so why was my viola doing so bad against a 1 trick pony? must I learn to just guard to overcome this?
Do you have the replays? If so, then it'd be easier to help you if you could post them.

just go to training mode and use astaroth and spam 1AA, and with target viola very hard AI, if you ignore her just guard punish, I can't do any better than her AI...

I tried to see if AI could do anything against this spam so maybe I could copy her tactics, but nope, SC AI has always been free to this...

Last edited:
Asta 1A string is a gimmick. Attempt to JG the 2nd hit in 1AA and if he does 1AB you have enough time to step it after the attempted JG. Either way, 44A BE should punish.

what are my options without just guard? I am online player, so just guard might be dependent on luck, would be better if I have some other alternatives.
do I jump the 1st and 2nd hit and punish accordingly?
I have never thought of just doing jumps or even jump attacks by themselves until recently, maybe I should really try and apply this somehow.

Last edited:
What I do is do a jump that hits fast enough to avoid the 1A.A and hit before the 1A.B.

I think with Viola, 9K would be her best option. However, I haven't tested it much with Viola. It's just my go-to escape.

it seems I can only double jump 1AA if I am far enough. at mid to tip range, I must guard the 1st hit, then jump.
in the closest range, the 2nd hit is not escapable if I block the 1st hit; it will connect if I try to jump.
meh, no idiot is dumb enough to do 1A up close. with that long starting time I will just BB him.

Standard jumps are more difficult to get out after a block, but jump attacks will jump it all the time. If you're too far, the attack would miss and you'd likely get hit by the B. If they're at tip range, maybe try to do a 7A/B/K attack.. you could potentially jump back and avoid both hits.

Just giving you options.

Hello everyone, I am new to the SC series even though I played SC 1 and 2 several years ago but the system has apparently changed so much that I might as well consider myself a new player. With that being said, the character that I like the most right now is Viola and I would like to know about the basics if possible since it seems that there aren't any beginner threads and this discussion seems really long and I don't have the time to read 58 pages.

Also I'd like to know what these notations mean in the case of Viola's combos (in bold):

ORB NH

ORB
3B -

SET NH

Thanks in advance for your replies!

ORB NH

ORB
3B -

SET NH
No idea what NH is, but ORB means when you are holding the orb... 3B means :3::B:, because numpad.

Viola has no stances, so I have no idea what NH could mean... where did you see it?

just go to training mode and use astaroth and spam 1AA, and with target viola very hard AI, if you ignore her just guard punish, I can't do any better than her AI...

I tried to see if AI could do anything against this spam so maybe I could copy her tactics, but nope, SC AI has always been free to this...
Asta 1A string is a gimmick. Attempt to JG the 2nd hit in 1AA and if he does 1AB you have enough time to step it after the attempted JG. Either way, 44A BE should punish.
You can jump (G9) over 1AA on reaction, and punish with just about everything.

Last edited:
NH stands for "Normal Hit" meaning that you hit the opponent without them attempting to do anything (such as attacking).

ORB NH

ORB
3B -

SET NH

Thanks in advance for your replies!
ORB means you have the orb with you when the combo starts.
SET means the orb is set somewhere on the field when the combo starts.
NH means a normal hit.
CH means a counter hit.
BE means a Brave Edge.
CE means a Critical Edge.

Refer to a number pad when looking at the numbers.
7 8 9 = :7::8::9:
4 5 6 = :4::5::6:
1 2 3 = :1::2::3:

Viola is a hard character to start your Soul Calibur career with.

She isn't what you would call.....human.

Thanks for your answers! Now I have a doubt with a combo here:

SET 3B -
AAB 6A+B (slight charge) 44K - 60

What does "slight charge" mean in this case?

SET 3B -

Hold it a little bit before releasing it. It causes the orb to come out a bit later, so while it still combos, you recover faster than if you just did regular 6A+B. Otherwise 44K will be escapable.

SET 3B -

No point in even doing that combo. If you don't have meter do
3B AAB 66B 66A+B

If you have meter do
3B AAB (slight charge) 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K B (orb hits the opponent) AAB 66B 66A+B

Simply put, I need help to train against Viola. I will admit, I am completely ignorant on how she works.

At this point I have given up trying to play against Viola. If someone uses her as a main online, I will pass them until they leave. If I happen to get stuck in a match with Viola, I will try for one round and deem whether it is impossible or not. If it is, I set the controller down and do other things until the fight is done. Surprisingly enough they get mad at me, but at least I don't get angry with them.

Fighting the CPU Viola on very hard isn't helpful at all to me, really. I have used replay data to go into training with and I find myself unable to repeat the combos on record mode because of her complexity.

Here is what I know, or at least what I *think* I know. Viola is weakest at mid range. At long range she is a threat but linear. At close range she tries to catch you with moves that lead into 8-second combos, but she is weak with her fast low attacks, so don't worry about ducking unless she aims for a grab.

How am I supposed to practice against Viola? Anybody have pointers in training or moves that I should watch out for? I just don't get her, which leads to her smacking me around with her ball like a freakin' Ragdoll.

GI her 6B+K Mix up. Will help a lot. Just fight Viola and let her rape you over and over, is the only way to train against her. Or you can just straight up learn her.

Punish 44A, you can step delayed 44AB BE (can also wait and GI). Grab or low kick when you see orb. Dash In also works to stop orb mixups, but is harder to react to her next move. Duck easy highs. Step 8A+B B. Keep her at mid range most of the fight. Watch for jumping low sweep; it's slow and reactable. 66A+B, either stance, is negative on hit so wake up and mash. If you are gonna get caught in CE mixups, jump scales damage to nothing.

Recently talked to Ninjaguy on PM. Here's a copy paste of the conversation seeing as it helped me out (might help others.)

I'm noticing some strange looking combos in the Viola forums. I wonder if you can clear up something for me.

Let's just call any variation of a launch into AAB 6A+B 2B+K BE as "C1"

C1 6B+K 66A is what I always go for seeing as (online lag aside) I never have a problem with the input on my stick. What I follow it with is always B+K 66B 66A+B. It seems to me that only one AAB is guaranteed in a combo. Does using B instead of 66A allow for another AAB?

I sometimes do SET 6B+K 6B 6A+B 2B+K BE so as to allow a AAB later on in the combo. I was always under the impression that AAB can only be used once, as I have no problem escaping a Viola combo if they go for 2.

My normal combos look something like 44A BE 6B+K 6B 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A B+K BE ORB 6B+K AAB 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A B+K 66B 66A+B. If I do the ORB 6B+K too fast and get SET 6B+K I just do the normal loop and quickly put in another 66A seeing as that requires a delay in the loop combo anyway.

If you could clarify this for me, that would be awesome.

Here's a bonus for your trouble: C1 6B+K 66A B+K (No BE) SET 6B+K B B+K/AAB is a combo... Yeah - Let that sink in.

I don't know where you heard that AAB can only be used once, but it can be used however much you want. 6B+K B or 6B+K 66A, it doesn't matter. The only difference is B is easier and 66A does more damage.

3B AAB 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A AAB 66B 66A+B

^ That's pretty much her bnb for 3B with meter. Using more meter for that combo would be a waste.

44A BE 6B+K 6B 3B AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE 66A AAB 66B 66A+B

^ Bnb for 44A BE. Use 2A+B instead of 6A+B when you do 44A BE. It's not worth the damage, unlike in 3B where the difference is huge.

It looks like you're wasting a lot of meter... the two combos I just said will get you the most bang for your meter.

Tl;dr AAB usage has no limit. The combo is inescapable. You're wasting precious meter and losing damage. Do the combos I said and you should be fine.

It's just that I can't seem to replicate increased AAB usage unless the opponent gets caught by a tech 2B+K BE. As in the tried to tech, but 6A+B landed perfectly, so it's wasted.

The reason I do the above combos is because they are ToD. If I land a 6B+K 3K B+K BE or 6B+K FC 2K RCC B+K BE, I usually try and go for full life, seeing as they just need minimal effort compared to, say - a 3B start.

You rarely ever start a full combo from full life - so going for them is good even if your execution isn't brilliant. The longer it goes on for, the more chance you get to kill them. Any amount of meter is worth a free win.

She can gain plenty enough meter using moves such as ORB 66A+B / ORB 4A / SET 4A+B.

I also like the pushback that B+K instead of AAB gives even if I have one free. 8A+B ring outs seem to be more consistent, but AAB's more lax timing allows for readjustment I guess. That's why I sometimes 6B+K X 6A+B instead of 3B AAB.

I know about the ToD's. The one I use is 6B+K FC 2K B+K BE 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A B+K BE 6A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A AAB 66B 66A+B. You don't need to RCC btw.

I don't understand some of the combos your listing. You say 44A BE 6B+K 6B 6A+B but does that even work? I've never heard of it or seen it before now.

Try this combo: 3B AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A AAB 66B 66A+B. If you want, change 66A to B. I don't know why you're having such a hard time... I'm telling you, it IS guaranteed and cannot be escaped. Do you have anything to record to show me what you're talking about? I mean of how the second AAB doesn't work.

Nothing but observation during fights. That's why I asked. I'll check it in training when I can.

6A+B can't be charged by the way - you just get the normal CH ground stun. 66A is pretty much a requirement to be within range after 2B+K BE. The timing is kinda tricky at first, but not as bad as the old 6B+K 66A B+K BE loops.

I'm just interested as to why it's happening lol.

Well, I gave it a shot, and your test works.

I think that the diminishing returns on AAB is probably shared with another move I am using in my longer combos. Once I find out the actual move and the limit, I'll get back to you.

It seems that 2x works just fine, but 3x seems to have a problem. I know 4x is the normal DR limit on move stuns, so I assume that the 3x limit is triggered by something else. That means that my combo contains a move that I use 1-2 times that forces the drop in lieu of the juggle.

Glad I could help.

I've been busy lately, but when I'm free I'll definitely check and try out AAB 3x and 4x. You've made me want to explore Viola more, haha.

Oh, plenty of fun to be had.

Try some funsies such as 6B:G+K or SET 22KB:4A+B. Be the best at round-win dances.

You can also go for the classic SET 2B+K 9B, or even an orb reset with 2B+K:8A+B 4A. Basically, flaunt superior inputs whilst they try to zone you... Scares them shitless.

PS: Bonus for anyone interested in the hardcore lifestyle.

Oh and just FYI, I found the ultimate round win dance.

It requires very precise and fast inputs, and requires the opponent to die whilst standing and for you to be in SET mode.

<Finisher (BBB etc)> 2B+K 9B 22KB:4A+B 6B:G+K

Last edited:
Back