Yoshimitsu JF General

I've found that a drumming/piano-style input method works for me. Kind of pressing a ~ B+K with my fingers moving in a downward motion, instead pressing the buttons directly down into board. I'm not consistent yet, but it's the only method that actually gets me results.

*edit*

Yeah, this seems like it may have been blown out of proportion? I'm starting to get consistent with it. Main thing to remember is that the A button has to be pressed and released quickly, it seems.

I'm having issues with Manji Carve Fist. I think it's the same input bug? the down A must be pressed and released on the frame and then B on the next? I don't even know what they want with this input.

I'm having issues with Manji Carve Fist. I think it's the same input bug? the down A must be pressed and released on the frame and then B on the next? I don't even know what they want with this input.

You can hold down throughout the whole thing... just hit 2A and slide to b... its actually cake in this game...

You can hold down throughout the whole thing... just hit 2A and slide to b... its actually cake in this game...

Ya, why the heck is iMCF easier than ear slicer? I kind of miss it being the other way 'round....

If it was for game play reasons, I think I'd rather risk being hit by an easier-to-perform ear slicer than iMCF spam. :P

Does anyone know why parting thrust will drop the opponent right in front of you sometimes? I think launching them from behind and doing it causes it most times but I think if you do it quick enough you can get it as well.

From behind will definitely cause them to land face first in front of you. You need to 2[A+B] -> FLE 66 in that case (I think that's the best option, anyway) since DNK won't hit. I think walls/corners sometimes cause ear slicer to go off-tilt and you end up with the same result, but it's much rarer than face-dropping them from ending up to the side or rear.

I personally don't think ear slicer thing is "blown out of proportion" and I think it should be considered bugged at this point. It really is much easier to do prior to the day 0 patch and it doesn't give you as high a return as much less risky moves.

Just one more frame, please. Or let us hold A again. :\
Don't punish me for NOT mapping buttons. :(

Yeah, from what it looks like. Mapping your buttons is the only way to do Parting Thrust.
I find something wrong with that altogether. Players are forced to change their settings to do this one move.
It's not even useful in the air IMO. It's better off as an interrupting move.

NeoRussell

Yeah, from what it looks like. Mapping your buttons is the only way to do Parting Thrust.
I find something wrong with that altogether. Players are forced to change their settings to do this one move.
It's not even useful in the air IMO. It's better off as an interrupting move.

NeoRussell

How exactly does a move that grants a 70DMG or more tech trap , guaranteed 66A+B fakes or soldier roll into flea/med mix up, and gives DNK ring out oppurtunity near edges not useful in the air?

Your really telling me your going to stick with 6K? a:B+K is a huge part of yoshi's juggles... Its not the damage its the things it grants after that are good, and 6k has none of those...

For some reason I can do ear slicer easier than iMCF. I can't do that to save my life. What a waste - there is no reason an input should be that difficult.

For some reason I can do ear slicer easier than iMCF. I can't do that to save my life. What a waste - there is no reason an input should be that difficult.
That’s a matter of opinion.

Fighting games are about stratification of players based on skill in a reaction-based setting. Mind games and combos are only one aspect of the contest; execution difficulty can be just as valid a component of the competition. It can also serve to semi-balance a character whose properties on paper are strong. High execution moves can also serve as visual rewards which both support the confidence of the wielder and erode the confidence of the opponent; i.e., employing such a move itself becomes a mind game.

Not only this, but execution can even enhance a character’s skeuomorphic identity, that is, the character’s “feel” in relation to their background. Take Setsuka (or Alpha Pat, if you must). Her style was conceived as being representative of an extremely skilled master of iai techniques, one that demanded supreme precision and cool determination against simpler, more brutal opponents. One of the most natural ways to communicate such a gestalt is to actually require the user to master difficult techniques themselves. Effectively deploying her more complex moves in actual combat demands great focus and speed yet care and reservation. Ultimately, her character and personality is reinforced and enhanced through her gameplay.

Sorry for the off-topic musings. I hope I’ve convinced you, at least, that high-execution moves can have purpose and meaning in a fighting game, and justify their own difficulty; whether or not they do, in the particular case of parting thrust or other Yoshi moves, is another matter.

another day, another 2 hours of trying, still can't do either ear slicer or iMCF. Guess I won't be playing one of my favorite characters. Cool. :(

Believe it or not mapping your buttons isnt the only way to do parting thrust. I use the default B setup on my stick:
A B K
G

I press A with the index of my left hand and the B+K which is FAR less important with the index and middle of my right hand. The thing is you literally CAN NOT HOLD A for longer than 2-3 frames. As soon as you touch A you should NOT be touching A, meanwhile you've already strum the B+K. I have about 70-80 accuracy, IN COMBOS. The game for some reason reads even the shortest button presses as "holds" which wouldnt matter if just frames didnt require you to lift your finger off the button completely.

If you cant do parting thrust, you're not going to get anything out of Yoshimitsu sorry to say.

I want to say this is an input glitch because it counts you holding A down if you don't let it go by the time you press B or BK. Is there an American community manager to Namco we can ask or is it just Daishi's twitter?

Either way, I don't have any moral reservations against modding a few buttons on my stick to do iMCF and Parting Thrust for me. I love yoshi too much to just not use these moves because the inputs are stupid

Oh yeah and I definitely think there is a distinction between making a character complex that requires excellent execution (c. viper in sf or umvc3 for instance) vs making things inanely difficult for the sake of difficulty

Oh yeah and I definitely think there is a distinction between making a character complex that requires excellent execution (c. viper in sf or umvc3 for instance) vs making things inanely difficult for the sake of difficulty

I'm sorry to say this but IMCF is easy execution. Your complaining about something that's not even hard to do. Problem is not the insanely difficult input for IMCF, its your insanely poor execution skills. Stop whining like a baby and get over it.

With that being said i also wanted to support what Gabedamien said. High execution has it's place in fighting games as long as it's not required for all characters. I like balanced playstyles and SC V does this perfectly.

For those of you struggling, just keep working at it. It took me a long time to get iMCF timing down on SCIV and now it's cake in SCV. That same iMCF timing has carried over to SCV's a:B+K. At this point, if you can do one you can at least get a sense of timing for the other.

Do the exact same input for iMCF except hit down at the same time you press A. If you can do ear slicer there is *no* reason you shouldn't be able to iMCF. You must be completely whiffing the 2 input to be losing an iMCF if you have ear slicer timing. Try doing them in a combo (because they combo together...): set the CPU to CH stun, a:B+K, 2a:B+K, 3B [etc]. You can also do iMCF from crouch now (which you couldn't do in IV), so try doing a "full crouch ear slicer". If that works, you're definitely messing up 2a.

iMCF is technically 2aB, but for whatever odd reason ear slicer inputs work now.

That’s a matter of opinion.

Yes it is. And its an opinion some of us share with some fairly prominent members of the fighting game community (http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/03/sha...moves-are-the-stupid-parts-of-fighting-games/)

Fighting games are about stratification of players based on skill in a reaction-based setting. Mind games and combos are only one aspect of the contest; execution difficulty can be just as valid a component of the competition. It can also serve to semi-balance a character whose properties on paper are strong. High execution moves can also serve as visual rewards which both support the confidence of the wielder and erode the confidence of the opponent; i.e., employing such a move itself becomes a mind game.

That's all fine if you like that aspect of fighting game competition, and there are plenty of games out there that cater to that sort of thing, but it would be nice if there was at least one fighting game out there that catered to those of us who aren't interested in spending hours practicing finger gymnastics and just want a deep, well balanced, and strategic fighter. SC USED to be just that game. I recall a post by WCMaxi on the original soulcalibur.com forum where he mentioned that ease of execution of moves was a very specific design goal of the original Soul Calibur. Hell, even Ivy's Summon Suffering was extremely forgiving in how you timed the inputs. So it kind of pisses me off that each sequel since then has moved farther and farther from that goal by adding more and more (IMHO) idiotic just-frame mechanics.

Sorry for the mini-rant. To get back on-topic...

With button binding, I find a:B+K MUCH easier than iMCF. I really don't know why it's not working for me, as I'm hitting the buttons the same way I hit the ear slicer command. Even when I do the FC version of MCF and just hold 2 fro the entire command, it still doesn't come out anywhere near as reliably as a:B+K.

-=The Jesster: Gatchaba Goose=-

Philosophies of fighting games are so jaded.

Fighting games, in general, should have a risk and reward to complex/compound/annoying moves. If anything, they should at least have a sense of pride.

Ear slicer is a key execution for Yoshimitsu that significantly improves his game play. From using it as a basic, fast hitting counter hit to extending juggles and your RO distance..... ear slicer is amazing. In SCIV, you could generally be moderately successful with Yoshimitsu without it, but SCV...... so far, I'm saying it's not likely at this time.

On the other hand, if ear slicer was a one-button input.... this would be really stupid. Entire matches would be nothing but attempts to counterhit each other and Yoshimitsu would pretty much play identically to Pyrrha at this point (236B x infinity / ear slicer x infinity). This is a good example of making an input too easy that breaks down game play. The whole match is spent trying to randomly throw out safe 10 frame moves at advantage rather than positionining/etc that is so rewarding in a fighting game.

In addition to have just boring, stupid and excruciating matches of pure silliness, it defeats the purpose of the strategy. Many JFs add additional hits or create safety in a move. There's a risk vs. reward of feinting some of the JF moves to instead step or restart a block string or assault. Many JFs themselves create frame traps. At the same time, the executing player has to have practiced that input and take the risk of missing it online or otherwise. Why perform the high-damage risk moves if you have absolutely no safety net? We should all just 2K each other to death.....

Today, this execution requirement is a bit broken. Between button mapping, online play, programmable sticks and other things that allow otherwise terrible players to crutch these high execution moves.... they simply do not have the requirements they used to. For a very old school staple, look at your basic SF SRK - this was a great move that was damaging but required high execution on some random, shitty arcade controller. Today, you can 360 this move out. 360s are another mechanic-come-crutch - it was pretty obvious your opponent was spamming 360 at the arcade unless they were capable of a fast and accurate execution.

I would really hate to see all fighting games reduced to SFIV. While it's a great game on it's own, it is a perfect example of why moderate to high execution moves are just abused today.

With button binding, I find a:B+K MUCH easier than iMCF. I really don't know why it's not working for me, as I'm hitting the buttons the same way I hit the ear slicer command. Even when I do the FC version of MCF and just hold 2 fro the entire command, it still doesn't come out anywhere near as reliably as a:B+K.

Yeah i put B+K next to the G button so its more of a diagnal trigger pull motion from A to B+K which makes it easier. With iMCF I have to horizontally slice so that I barely hit the outer edge of A and then hope my finger is high enough to still hit B without hitting the side of the button.

In practice mode I can get ear slicer maybe 40%, even then i get random shit like Flea stance come out that just makes it not worth at all using a real match. With iMCF at least a low slice will come out instead but its still not what I wanted.

I wish I always got FLE when I fail ear slicer......

A low slice actually seriously effs up your iMCF set ups, so don't be so grateful for that. :\

Back