Asta Match-up List

The purple bombs its like whatever, you have a lot of defensive options there. But I'm mostly refering to the red bombs as the real threat you need to be jumping.

I need to get into the habit of just sitting there on the ground when Natsu does the UB Bomb on wake-up, because apparently the damage is miniscule compared to standing up.

Damn muscle memory always getting in the way.

IDC what y'all niggas tryin' insinuate, Bullrush is still a main tool for Asta, but agreed... the trackin' nerf has made it that you don't "throw it out" all willy-nilly. Use it to get in under highs and to cause KND to set up options (low, mid, throw/high) Most his highs suck unless you're at a distance. I still use 66B to punish some moves, since it's still i16, but it's really character specific. Asta is horrible up-close unless you learn the match up so you know when to duck, step and punish. And honestly his punishers up-close suck compared to the cast.

6A is i13,
but on BLK is -12 and the second hit leave you safe on block but can be ducked. (Sucks.)
K is i13,
but is High and can be ducked and punished, on BLK is -8 which I think means some of the faster folk can punish. (Sucks.)
2K is i15,
but does little dmg (@16) and again, some of the quicker chars can stop it with a b,b. (Sucks.)
22A is i16,
horrible mid that leaves you at -12 after either hit, but might be good after stepping a vertical attack, if you can feel it, but most of the cast won't up-close since they'd be ideally in the right range against Asta. (Sucks.)
66B is i16,
is a high (smh) that gives no advg on hit (smheh), unless it's CH, in that case I follow with a 4B which doesn't combo, but I use that once in a blue near a wall; just go for 66K BE. (Sucks.)
6K is i17,
evades Highs, is great on CH giving you the low grabs or a free 44B, but stepable to the left, and even on hit only gives small advantage leaving you to best choose another quick move listed above. (Sucks.)

All high throws are i17...

Conclusion, I still like bullrush... and it's better when you input 99_33 when you do. I feel, and I might be wrong (prob' am), it'll hit more so then than if you input 66. I try and space myself primarily with him and try to build up a knowledge of the cast so I can defend better and make distance for myself.

I thought, when I first was playing him, he would be top tier b/c of the throws and damage and whatnot... but now I'm thinking high mid-tier? We'll see as things move a long though. I'll still play him but I might be thinking about pickin' up a secondary. I think most Asta players will.

Hmm, seeing this is a match up thread - any tips on fighting Xiba?
I just can't handle his mixup game, it seems, and he does a ton of damage all the while keeping me at bay in my own range...
It could be cause I'm still bad, but - I handle most other characters fine (maybe natsu's an issue too) but Xiba remains an issue.
Help! :)

Against Xiba, your best bet is to turtle and punish.
After you learn how to block his lows, he's really not that scary

Just for the records, do we all agree that infinite stage means minus 1 for all Asta's match-up ?
I found a way to fight on those stages, but it's still a chore.

Against Xiba, your best bet is to turtle and punish.
After you learn how to block his lows, he's really not that scary

Honestly, how do I even punish as Asta?...
Only thing I manage to consistently punish with is 2K... which is kinda really bad as a punish
unless once in a blue moon I manage a 22_88B:BE when the opponent strikes vertically..
but that's way too random\reliant on prediction skills that I have yet to grasp I guess...

infinite stage i woul dsay is -2 against some chracters, depending on how goo dtheir backdash is, it's almost impossible to catch yoshi on a infinite stage if all he does is back dash and teleport around.

I can't fight Raphael to save my life. I just fought a guy and he just super-speed-poked his way to two perfects and a thourough win in the third round. Blocking his hits puts he way out of range of my knee and headbuts and anything else it too slow to connect before he pokes me again.

raph i would say is quite a easy match for asta, just bullrush after 3b, sidestep then bullrush after 6bb, raph doesn't have any lows because as soon as you see him do any move that goes in to a stance you cna just bullrush him, in the end he'll start whoring 22b and then you jsut have to guess when and take take your free 66A.

What is your experience versus Ivy? I've been eating Ivy players for breakfast with my Asta. Then I did a session with Ring_PL yesterday, and managed to loose consistently. He seemed to put me on so much pressure, I did'nt feel I could get anything done. That he consistently broke my command grabs did'nt help either. Any advise would be appreciated.

What is your experience versus Ivy? I've been eating Ivy players for breakfast with my Asta. Then I did a session with Ring_PL yesterday, and managed to loose consistently. He seemed to put me on so much pressure, I did'nt feel I could get anything done. That he consistently broke my command grabs did'nt help either. Any advise would be appreciated.

That may just be due to the fact that Ring is a very good player in general. Without listing specific set-ups that made your head spin, I'm not sure I can help you lol.

If he is breaking your command grabs consistently that mean you may want to try and mix them up more.

Ring is on PSN.

But yeah, prolly no more than maybe 5 Astaplayers in the world who could beat him in a FT10.

yea....rather not be that guy, but please input your match-up opinions also. NONE of you have done so :P

So far:

Cervantes - 5:5 - This match can go either way. Alot of it is going to depend on how good your opponet is nailing the iGDR command. If he's pretty capable, then you'll want to play him a little safer and force the guard damage. If he's god awful and is a simple rushdown Cervy, 6A stuffs alot of his options for CH. 66B is still a good punisher. Avoid using strings if he punishes you with aB.

i'd give more...but i'm currently at work.

Just for the records, do we all agree that infinite stage means minus 1 for all Asta's match-up ?
I found a way to fight on those stages, but it's still a chore.

I find those stages even -2 in certain matchups.

All of your "steering" moves, the ones you would only use to place your opponent where you want him to be, became worthless.

Dumb tekken bitches.

Honestly, how do I even punish as Asta?...
Only thing I manage to consistently punish with is 2K... which is kinda really bad as a punish
unless once in a blue moon I manage a 22_88B:BE when the opponent strikes vertically

You are on the right track. Punishing verticals with 22_88B:BE is a huge part of Asta. Try doing it after guarding the first hit of Xiba's 66BBB string. When you duck a high from Xiba punish with a FC3K. You can punish Xiba's 33AABE by blocking the first hit and jump attack the second. If Xiba does 3BK duck after the B and do a bullrush.

Don' t think of punishment as just my opponent did this move now I get this move for free. That is the basics of it but its much more broad.
Think more in terms of situations. The opponent is making choices: blocking, moving forward, backward, sideways, jumping, attacking, throwing. How can I punish them for those decisions. Be broad and specific. Broad strokes can lead to specifics and specifics can reveal new approaches that can be applied broadly. Using the Xiba 3BK and the Asta Bullsrush punish as an example, this works as both a good block punish and a good whiff punish-within a certain range, and in practicing the block punish you are also practicing the whiff punish. Stepping verticals and ducking highs are important skills.
Try to maximize your punishment. Damage is important but so is positioning and mind games. Ring-outs and wall combos win matches. Creating unpredictable problems for opponents helps. In other words mess with the heads.

We need a few more writeups on matchups in here. In fact, we almost need a new thread since this one got so off-topic.

Siegfried - 5:5

From playing hundreds of matches with a good Sieg player, I'd say this matchup is pretty even. Sieg's main pressure tools are agA and 3BB (aka Chief Hold B), both of which give him advantage on block. Be mindful of his WR B, as it tracks more than 3B and gives natural hit combos unlike its 3B counterpart. The recent patch hurt our backstep, so 3B and WR B will eat you alive if you try that too much. Don't rely on too many of Asta's horizontals, as Sieg's B+K stance auto-GI's them with ease. Our 44A should still be used though. Our 6AA isn't too useful due to Sieg's 3B having a tech crouch and pushback.

You can go about this matchup in 2 ways: take the gamble while at disadvantage and try to 66K under agA/sidestep 3BB with 22B punishes, OR, you can take a lot of guard damage until you find an opening. I've won matches using both methods.

There's not much to do in terms of block punishing in this matchup. Many of Sieg's move have pushback. For instance, his 66B is punishable if he does it at very close range, but at mid to long range, we have nothing to punish him with. His 1K, Reverse Side Hold K, and Flapjack (FC A_B+G) are punishable by 4B or 2A_B+G. WR A,A can be punished by command grabs.

Your success in this matchup will also hinge on your knowledge of all of his stances and the moves that come with them. You also need to be mindful of his frame traps. Some of these frame traps include: agA -> 3B, Chief Hold B -> agA, Chief Hold B -> 66K, 2[A+B] -> K BE, 44B -> K BE, and 2B -> K.

Note: I know spelling out the stances isn't the correct notation form to use, but for ease of reading, I spelled them out for those unaware of his stance abbreviations.

Back