Astaroth Anti...

Good/Bad/Neutral Match Ups

These are just my opinions:

Good:
Darth Vader
Ivy
Lizardman
Maxi
Siegfried (this fight doesn't seem too bad to me... 66K ducks a:G:A and 6A, and 6B+K reflects the rest)
Rock
Talim
Tira
Yoda (44 LOL)
Yoshimitsu (stances can hardly be used due to 28:B+G and 2A_B+G)
Yun-Seong

Neutral:
Astaroth
Cassandra (seems much easier compared to her sister, and 6B+K eats a lot)
Cervantes
Hilde (half of her doom combo still works, and she's got some fast pokes and safe damagers)
Kilik (66K stops Asura, but it's still kind of a hard fight IMO since his long range speed > Asta's)
Mitsurugi
Nightmare
Raphael (6B+K doesn't help at all here and spacing feels weird, but a simple step-and-punish turns the tides fast)
Seong-Mina (you HAVE to fight her up close)
Zasalamel

Bad:
Algol (hard to get through bubblespam)
Amy (need I explain?)
Sophitia (hard to space because of 66B, and 236:B hurts)
Taki (punishes 66K, and greatly outclasses Asta up closes)
The Apprentice (stupid automatic grab break...)
Voldo (fast and safe... however, Asta can get some nice back throws)
Xianghua (this fight seems hard to me because she's great up close)

These are hard for many characters because two different players have different feelings towards matchups. Experience fighting a particular character definitely plays a part (see Sieg in my list).

These are just my opinions:

Good:
Darth Vader
Ivy
Lizardman
Maxi
Siegfried (this fight doesn't seem too bad to me... 66K ducks a:G:A and 6A, and 6B+K reflects the rest)
Rock
Talim
Tira
Yoda (44 LOL)
Yoshimitsu (stances can hardly be used due to 28:B+G and 2A_B+G)
Yun-Seong

Neutral:
Astaroth
Cassandra (seems much easier compared to her sister, and 6B+K eats a lot)
Cervantes
Hilde (half of her doom combo still works, and she's got some fast pokes and safe damagers)
Kilik (66K stops Asura, but it's still kind of a hard fight IMO since his long range speed > Asta's)
Mitsurugi
Nightmare
Raphael (6B+K doesn't help at all here and spacing feels weird, but a simple step-and-punish turns the tides fast)
Seong-Mina (you HAVE to fight her up close)
Zasalamel

Bad:
Algol (hard to get through bubblespam)
Amy (need I explain?)
Sophitia (hard to space because of 66B, and 236:B hurts)
Taki (punishes 66K, and greatly outclasses Asta up closes)
The Apprentice (stupid automatic grab break...)
Voldo (fast and safe... however, Asta can get some nice back throws)
Xianghua (this fight seems hard to me because she's great up close)

These are hard for many characters because two different players have different feelings towards matchups. Experience fighting a particular character definitely plays a part (see Sieg in my list).

Remember against siegfried to undoubtedly GI after 3 and eat any other delayed attack from chief hold ;). I'm just screwing with you, i've had to hold down the astaroth fort on Xbox live (Titan bomb is the greatest move ever, like titan bombing a Cass 8B+K is golden). I'll admit, astaroth has some nasty nasty tools against siegfried though i think that you left out 2A+G_B+G. Alot of siegfried's game is based off of crouching and basehold. Don't make any silly comments.

Remember against siegfried to undoubtedly GI after 3 and eat any other delayed attack from chief hold ;). I'm just screwing with you, i've had to hold down the astaroth fort on Xbox live (Titan bomb is the greatest move ever, like titan bombing a Cass 8B+K is golden). I'll admit, astaroth has some nasty nasty tools against siegfried though i think that you left out 2A+G_B+G. Alot of siegfried's game is based off of crouching and basehold. Don't make any silly comments.

LOL. Okay Pyro, I won't make any "silly" comments. And yeah, opponents with a lot of tech crouching moves are fun to fight with Astaroth.

Yoda should be considered to be in a constant crouching state. I'd like to scoop him up punch that tiny freak into a wall. XD

From my personal experience vs Kilik I would say he is one of the easier match ups since his damage potential is far lower than Astaroth's. Kilik doesn't have much he can use on Astaroth that he couldn't get around and get much better damage/oki. All of Kiilik's get off the ground moves are useless (unless he wants to lose mass damage) 22b seems to give Kilik a lot of trouble as well.

Can someone explain the Amy thing to me though cause I honestly don't get it

play a good amy and you will find out... in a nutshell her speed and gauge damage pressures asta very well. you also have to be careful with what you respond with because shes got a decent mid auto GI.. you also have to be pretty careful when trying to space her because one whiff means eating 66a+b and shes back in again.

personally i think kilik is neutral match up.. hes a better spacer than asta and quicker too. but at least we can cut out the asura shenanigans.

-GOOD-
cervy - can really punish a lot of his main stuff, he has to be careful vs asta
rock - just feels like bad asta when hes up against asta..
NM - bullrush pretty much kills GS and we got good options vs some of his frame traps
yun seong - crane stance doesnt really affect us and hes fairly easy to space imo
yoshi - can punish him pretty heavily on his stuff... i guess we got shenanigans of our own to deal with his
liz - they should be hesitant to go into crawl vs asta. so he'll just be poking a lot... depends how well you deal with that

-NEUTRAL-
kilik - he spaces better but we can reduce the asura use
hilde - her combos dont fully work on him and we have the range to deal with her baiting for stuff. we still need to be careful about whiffing though...
mitsu - we can punish him HARD on all his main mixups. they are still mixups after all though so can go either way
setsuka - i just dont have that much trouble vs her. shes fast but if we play fairly safe then she seems to have trouble. her a throw combo also whiffs on asta
asta - asta vs asta...
sieg - like mitsu in terms of mixups, we can punish well. i feel his range and speed beats out asta though.
cass - this just seems fairly even to me in the battles ive had

-BAD-
amy - SPEED! SG DAMAGE! PRESSURE! MIXUPS!
taki - SPEED! PRESSURE! MIXUPS! EVASION!
ivy - shes an awful fight if the ivy turtles.. her step is insane as is her throw range.
soph - shes can just poke all day. good SG and good mid auti GI.
algol - bubble spam is hard to deal with.
raph - the pressure is insane and the evasion is insane... tough fight imo. he closes the distance vs us... also a bit like sieg in the sense that his speed and range is better than astas. whiff punishes extremely well

if a missed a char is cos i aint been against them enough to judge. and of course its all just my opinion :p

Hmm it's a relief to know you guys rank yoshi as one of the good matchups for astaroth. Yoshi gives me a LOT of trouble, a,a for punishment, really, really good mix-up and good damage. Just seems like he has a easier time trapping asty and getting close and staying there then some others. Ideas?

Bad:
Yoshi, Sophie, Setsu, Cass, Amy, Cervy

Neutral:
Mits, Zas, Ivy, Maxi, Raph Hilde, Taki, Voldo

Good: Liz, Kilik, NM, Sieg, X, Yun, Rock?

No ideas for Mina and Tira, I guess Mina shouldnt do better than Kilik here.

maybe will do a breakdown later if anyones interested

Tageproto: go to the neighbour topic (the anti asta) and have a good laugh. they actually discuss how asta pwns yoshi there.

Pyro, Asta: sidestep to the left into guard completely shuts down SCH, even SCH A. thats something any character can do. And GI isnt char specific strat too.

coming from someone who plays against a lot of sieg:

it's a bad matchup for asty.

Trouble against Zasalamel as Asta

Particularly, people who go from being really aggressive to really defensive based on range.

I can't stand when people slash the crap out of me to a point where I have to be so defensive that I can't even do anything. This seems to be the only character that can do that to me out of people I've played. He just has this annoying thing where either you're too far away to hit him and thus your options are limited, or you're so close to him that your attacks are obvious and you have to be lucky to get in a grab because it's pretty easy to tell when someone's going to grab you when you're blocking unless you really mix it up.

I just can't seem to punish this guy. Either I have to be super aggressive and hope I do well enough that I outdamage him before he gets a chance to be aggressive, or I have to just sit there and get slaughtered as I try to block and GI. Even if I do get a GI in, based on range it's oftentimes hard to even get a grab in after it or much of anything.

Long story short, what can Asta do to punish an annoying Zas? Is there any move that's a "Zas killer" and forces them to change it up too? What should I do when I'm forced into crouch(including blocking a low)?

If you're crouched and you need an interrupt/punish than FC 3K or 6K are both good choices. If you think they'll block for the interrupt then grab. If you blocked a low and opponent ends crouched then low throw(2A+G_B+G) him. A lot of Zas's attacks are high especially his step kill and long range attacks so ample Bullrush should be effective. Learn the places in his strings where you can duck to avoid hits and punish whiffing. Asta has for the most part better frames at every range and better damage too, if you both play aggressive(with your faster moves anyway) you should come out ahead.

Agreed with above. I personaly love play against Zas. I usually like to back a little away from them and see if they get stupid to go unblockable on me. But thats online...anybody descent wont do such a thing. That just helps me to guage them. After...if they don't take the bait, I'm agressive with them. And even if I get on the defesive I know Asta can shut down Zas. Oh yeah...break stuns. that part is easy with Zas.

Well, stun breaking isn't much of an option for me, because I often play online(can do it offline though) AND I'm stuck using the 360 controller. Because if the weird placement of the D-pad and the fact that it feels so stiff, I virtually never break stuns when on the 360 but I can always do it on my PS2 controller/SC3. Considering buying the PS3 version for $50 or getting something that allows me to use a PS2 controller so I can use the D-pad for easy stun breaks, but until then, not much I can do about it.

I guess, for now, I'll just try to learn the main Zas patterns and figure out any others when they come up. I've started to duck a lot of things, but I still have a lot of work to do.

Playing online, it's much harder for me to do things that'd normally be easy like ducking things, GI, and other stuff that could really help. But I'll try to get used to it.

Crouch Throw and Taki Problems

I was playing online, and some nightmare spammer decided to crouch and hit A over and over, (He had low hp and I was at half) So I decide to crouch throw him. But when I hit 2b+g it just went through him. It's not like he broke it, but it just went through. I then tried 2a+g and its still went through. Is this a glitch, or maybe lag?

Also what do you do against a taki who loves to mix up kicks and stay really close. And also love to tech crouch.

i know its not, but she does have some, but the crouch throw was the real important part because it made me lose to a spammer.

Nightmare's while crouching A doesn't give advantage on hit as far as I know. The crouch grab you should do against lows is 3B+G_A+G, it's what I use to scare voldo players and sophie players from abusing their stances.

whoa thanks, I have a friend who uses voldo so Ill try it against him

A number of while crouching moves do not TC, try them in practice mode and make sure they actually do. Otherwise your Crouch throw will simply whiff on them as if they were standing.

Back