Astaroth Anti...

Thx papy :)
But indeed i lost both matchs -_-

I've eat to many BBs, and did some stupid stuff under the pressure (like the 1[A] serie, wtf) that finally cost me the match, but I didnt make TOO many mistakes ... I was pretty sure right after the match i played way more shitty that this lol

I missed too many JF throws too, way more than usual, but the pressure is here ... big screen, 100 people cheering and screaming ... yeah :)
Remember that the ranking is single elim too, first to 2 for all matchs but the final which is first to 3, that's for some ... full of tense matchs and vids :)

you played pretty well imo, you didnt really do much wrong... he just poked you to death which can't really be helped. the double 1[a] was pretty bad like you say, nerves etc. but he didnt punish you big for it.

it was interesting that you used 44b post bullrush for sg damage which worked quite well but maybe you should have stuck to 22_88b on open areas because you whiffed when there wasn't a wall nearby.

also noticed you were from france.. any chance that youre on psn? uk player here and i'd love to play your asta :D.

you played pretty well imo, you didnt really do much wrong... he just poked you to death which can't really be helped. the double 1[a] was pretty bad like you say, nerves etc. but he didnt punish you big for it.

it was interesting that you used 44b post bullrush for sg damage which worked quite well but maybe you should have stuck to 22_88b on open areas because you whiffed when there wasn't a wall nearby.

also noticed you were from france.. any chance that youre on psn? uk player here and i'd love to play your asta :D.

Yep thoses missed 44B were bad ... but it's one if not the better move he got now for SG damage, and the cancel-UB is pretty good for mind-game, so i like the move :)

Sorry I dont play online :)

Tiamat : I think you're right but ... damn BBs are hard to step, harder than it's look ... probably because it's Astaroth, i dunno :)

for anyone actually trying to learn asta jus read truth nelsons posts
both of his posts are so true
6B+k is a very good move vs taki and know your faster moves for taki and company

Yeah he lost but he wasn't wrong strategy wise. What I noticed: very few spacing moves (useless against sophie imo), few 6Ks except for punishments and most of all, defensive turtling waiting for throw opportunities.

Tiamat: try to hook up with TheRealyst on the PSN to put your stepping abilities to the test ;) You'll soon realize stepping is NOT an option against poky Sophies.

Saitoh: at 2'06 it looks like a missed 4[A+B] input, resulting in a 44[A]. I bet you play with an octagonal gate joystick am I right :p ? Happens to me all the time.

It's crazy that he can get that many command throws in.
Anyways
After 1A u should have tried 3B or WS A. After 41236A+B 4B or 4[A+B].

44 at that distance isn't as effective as 4[A+B].
44 G into WS A or 3B or 1A all this should be used around mid range or further.

And when 44B is blocked I usually do 66K right after.

Personally I don't play Asta close...I always try to maintain a certain distance...
So I pretty much us AB, 44A 1A into WS or 3B sometimes into 9B+K.

When they get close, then comes the throws.

Tiamat: try to hook up with TheRealyst on the PSN to put your stepping abilities to the test ;) You'll soon realize stepping is NOT an option against poky Sophies.

online makes stepping leagues harder to apply so I'll pass on that. what particular moves does sophie have that make it so scary to step?

for anyone having amy troubles, i would suggest you try and experiment with 6b+k and 4b+k. both are moves that i rarely use but i found them both to be very useful in this match up.

6b+k is useful for its TC as well as the auto GI (of course :p). it tends to startle people and make them stall if you get a few of these off.. i used this on block and after some small hit advantage and got it to work quite a few times.

4b+k is good because of its evasion and damage. basically amy is linear and lacks range when shes there poking you so this is great for evading the pokes and punishing. its good damage on hit and great spacing and frames on block (neutral!). i used this sparingly as i didnt want them to expect and step it.

don't knock these ideas till you try it!

I find 6B+K to be a little less useful against Amy actually. Her swiftness usually beats 6B+K before it has time to GI, or even hit. I have the most luck with 6B+K against Siegfried, Maxi, Mitsu, Ivy, and Tira. I think it's just their styles. I'm not saying it can't hit Amy, but it's tougher to hit with it.

But, 4B+K is amazing. I use it in most of my matches. I like the TC and the step-back it supplies. It pushes back on block, and it can ring out.

online makes stepping leagues harder to apply so I'll pass on that. what particular moves does sophie have that make it so scary to step?

Not a lot that I can tell. 4AB > tech trap situation is moderately dangerous and 236236AA can be too if you commit to attack along with step. But generally I dont know. When I play Sophie it seems step is a weakness.

66A and 3K/AA both do a decent job of step kill from far and close respectively, but they arent really anything to fear.

I find 6B+K to be a little less useful against Amy actually. Her swiftness usually beats 6B+K before it has time to GI, or even hit. I have the most luck with 6B+K against Siegfried, Maxi, Mitsu, Ivy, and Tira. I think it's just their styles. I'm not saying it can't hit Amy, but it's tougher to hit with it.

yea, i try to only use it when i have some sort of advantage so either i've blocked or after i hit. i find that amy players tend to attack a little more at disadvantage because of their speed so thats why i think 6b+k can work in your favour.

its quick enough imo because of its TC at the start and someone said that 6b+k GI's at i15 so i treat it as an i15 move... i will definitely play around with 6b+k more though and look for some better setups :)

Astaroth's Match-up Discussion.

This thread is for organizing information on how to handle or opinions on each one of Astaroth's match-ups.

I have made this page in the wiki... so that you guys can add your opinions on every possible match-up in the game. I did Algol as an example. Please discuss, and take a look.
http://www.8wayrun.com/wiki/Astaroth#Astaroth_.28SCIV.29_Combo_Guides

This is the actual page...http://www.8wayrun.com/wiki/Match-Up_Review:_Astaroth

I want us to organize our thoughts on each match-up then edit it accordingly. However, everyone and anyone can contribute via edit button. During the edit there's in an option to put your signature like I did with Algol.

I'm going to do a test one here and see what you guys think.

IVY: I have found that fighting Ivy isn't too bad for Astaroth. Ivy has some quick long range attacks, so try to stay kind of close to her. Thus, utilizing Astaroth's close range pressure with command throws, 6K, 66K, and 4B is important. Ivy's Serpent's Embrace stance completely falls victim to 6B+K. 6B+K tech jumps the stance's low sweep, impacts the three-whip mid attack, and ties with the quick unblockable. 6B+K comes in handy in this matchup, as it beats quite a few of her verticals. Be wary of Ivy's fast sidestepping move which puts her into Serpent's Embrace, 236B. It can sidestep bullrush easily. Overall, it shouldn't be too hard of a fight for Astaroth, especially if you can GI and defend Ivy properly.

I like that...I have also found a use for 6B+K against kilik's 236 and 214 transition GIs. Hopefully we can get more people here quickly.

What happens if she does SE K or SE 6K though? One of them TCs as I recall and they're both body attacks so the aGI wouldn't catch. If you block the transition to SE I think 6K or 66K will beat everything with the possible exception of SE K just based on speed.

Bullrush would be strong in this match-up I think because on block it pushes you out of her danger zone in SW and ducks a number of her ranged moves in the other stances.

Hi everyone.

I am having some troubles against Hilde. I feel that Hilde becomes the long range character in this matchup. My current strategy is to 1: bullrush from a distance 2. run up and bullrush 3. run up and throw. I think this strategy is better against her charged moves but does not do a lot of damage as it ignores ring position (Hilde rings out really well), ground mixups, and spacing in general.

Are there other effective strategies against Hilde? Or tips against her?

Yeah, definitely don't stay far away from Hilde. Some of her charged attacks are vulnerable to the chest bump, 6B+K. However, even up close Hilde can be a problem due to her fast pokes and kicks. Be persistent in GI'ing up close if this becomes a problem. If you are far away, continuously sidestep because she can't use long range horizontals.

Also, a lot of people don't know this, but Astaroth actually ruins some of Hilde's long combos. Hilde users have told me that the hitboxes on his legs are a bit different, so the full combo often fails.

Good/Bad/Neutral Match Ups

Was wondering what they are? What's his good/bad/neutral match ups cause from my stand point he has "bad" match ups but that's only if you can stop him from hitting you or snatching you up. He has good options vs quick pokes and he also has great soul gauge options.

So if anyone could give me insight to at the least what are considered bad match ups for him post up with a slight example for me.

Good/Bad/Neutral Match Ups

MY opinion
asta's toughest matchups are amy and sophitia(236+b=100pts dmg)
sieg is tough but you can at least punish 3b with 6ab into 2 a+k
taki and x arent too bad since theyre loaded with high attks
mitsu isnt a bad matchup jus gotta know what u can punish
cervy is a standoff
favorable matchups are lizard man and hilde

i know im not listing all the chars but this is who i have exp vs

Back