DEVASTATION 2k11 Results and shout outs!

I have. I've also read comments from people saying that the bracket has incorrect win/loss information so I am pretty sure some people have. What point are you trying to make?

More specifically, did anyone at the actual tournament look at the bracket while the top 8 tournament was taking place? That's what I want to know before I make any further comments.

As for the tournament format, DEV wanted to do something new. Some people didn't like the format, but it was mentioned ahead of time. And as a spectator, I got to see more Calibur matches. My beef is that there wasn't consistency in the rules that a game or a particular pool was using in regards to the number of matches played.

More specifically, did anyone at the actual tournament look at the bracket while the top 8 tournament was taking place? That's what I want to know before I make any further comments.

RTD's first post in the thread made mention of this here. I'll go ahead and quote what he said,

Then a few loser matches went on and then the TO said that I had to play Vintz in the losers final.

I quickly pointed out to the TO that NFK hasn't been eliminated yet and there are still 2 people left in the losers bracket and that I should be playing the last person to make it out of the losers bracket.

After that, the TO pointed to a bracket on paper and showed me that NFK was eliminated and that Vintz was the only person left in losers.

Something that bothered me was the fact that during the tournament on day 2 the TO was just in way over his head, the guy seemed cool but that doesn't mean shit. I remember me and NDK noticed this one dude in like 3 different pools and the when it was brought up to the TO he didn't do anything. Meh, it isn't enough to ruin the tournament for me but I would rather have someone who actually likes SC running our tournaments.

Something that bothered me was the fact that during the tournament on day 2 the TO was just in way over his head, the guy seemed cool but that doesn't mean shit. I remember me and NDK noticed this one dude in like 3 different pools and the when it was brought up to the TO he didn't do anything. Meh, it isn't enough to ruin the tournament for me but I would rather have someone who actually likes SC running our tournaments.

All someone needs to do is step up and volunteer.

Yeah...none of you care but I figured I'd follow-up since I did share it to begin with. Either way, my dog's not going to make it; she just stopped eating altogether and lost about 15 pounds over the last two weeks. Supposedly, she defecated blood also. My mother's on the way to vet with her now. Crazy first year back.

Yeah...none of you care but I figured I'd follow-up since I did share it to begin with. Either way, my dog's not going to make it; she just stopped eating altogether and lost about 15 pounds over the last two weeks. Supposedly, she defecated blood also. My mother's on the way to vet with her now. Crazy first year back.

Noooooooooooooo. I hope she is ok. I'd die if anything happened to my pooch. Best wishes.

Heaton...I meant that as a very strong compliment. Your siggy is the most solid one that I have fought hands down.

As for resetting...the pools were mini tournaments...top 2 of each got into an invitational tournament...a new tournament. When you have thousands of entrants over dozens of games, it makes sense. It was in the rules for months, any bitching about it is moot.

I don't know about you all, but I had a fucking fantastic weekend that I wouldn't change one bit. Sure, there were hiccups, and I largely blame myself for not taking a more hands on approach to our brackets. That said, I was too busy having a bomb ass time, drinking good booze, hanging with awesome people, eating at awesome restaurants, going to awesome parties, having awesome casuals and enjoying the beautiful weather. Everything else is trivial.

Also, if you weren't there and don't have props to post, then please gtfo of our thread so you don't look even dumber than you already do.

S-U...that meant you...all you do is post about the mods being bad. Are you seriously all out of constructive shit to say? I respect you in that you are largely the same in person irl as on the forum, and not many people are, but is this necessary? I was there...in person, trying to mediate the bracket thing. The rest of us know that. Your opinions and or input on the matter are not only unwelcome, but completely uninformed and worthless.

That said, GGs guys. Wish I could make NEC, but I got some big catering gigs that weekend. I'll see you guys for early sc5 regional events fo sho.

Rtd, I owe you a rave. I always come through on these things.

Nfk, txt me an address if you want me to send your madcatz bag.

Xeph, you are adorable.

Heaton, 1b is broken.

Krayzie, learn to drive stick.

Revin...ban yun! I call broken.

Ndk, talk more.

Signia, that is one tender and delicious nipple.

Vints, be manlier irl. NEVER turn down a 'nice to meet you' beer, even if you hide and pour it out. - 1000 manliness points.

Nfk, no matter what we all say, good shit. You shredded to the max...again.

Lolo...congrats. gracias por la tequila. Tu fuiste mejor de...todos nosotros. Online por vida! quiero jugar mas en psn.

Omega...entiendo mas que crees. Me espanol es malo, cierto, pero not que malo se crees. No hablo. Escucho. Dices palabras y cosas muy negativas. I meant it when I asked you to slow down because i'm used to talking w/ mexicans, but then I figured I would get to know you better if I stayed quiet...and I was right. No i'm not rich. No i'm not a dipshit white boy, and no we don't ruin our guacamole with lime or lemon. You just got it in a shitty restaurant. No necissito decir nada. Hablas mucho. Much love...er...mucho luvooooooooooo.

Dest...I feel your airport pain.

Wuht...very nice to meet ya. Hope to see you around more. I honestly thought you were trolling and was surprised as fuck, pleasantly, to see you show up. I hope az was good to ya. It is always good to finally play the same old guys but offline. Hopefully your first major was awesome.

LP...dude I thought you were in our private number convo...i'm seriously sorry you couldn't reach me when you got in. I was a dick about it because I thought you had my number and just weren't calling and then got mad at me. I really apologize for that. That said, we have much in common. We gettin fucked up at evo and you're goin down...the hard way.

Greatone...you are too awesome. You have no clue how much you contribute to our small community. I look forward to seeing you at many events and hitting that sprite.

Infestedemololicc...I'm pumped you came out with us. Step 1, down. We gotta break you outta that shell! Step two is hookers in vegas at evo. You better be down!

Ice...why didn't we play? It has been too long, sir.

Juece...glad we got to meet. Sorry we didn't play. Next time!

Mamba...stop being so scrubby. You gotta rep NM with me in sc5!

ZHS...fuck what people say. You showed up, got trolled, improved greatly over one day and landed an 18 hit combo on stream. You did great. I'm glad we got to play a few matches...even if I only burger king spammed. I hope you come out more after this.

Bad games to paper rock scissors. I had all of us in one pool for a better chance and NONE of us got called! Wtf!?!? I say we make them replay the bracket and include us.

More later. I'm fucking drunk.

Yeah there were mishaps...but DEV is still the premier us major after evo. Plus they cut off marvel to let us stream on level-up. In spite of the riffraff, DEV has supported sc4 for 3 years...and longer than any other west coast event. This year was the first that those guys didn't personally do brackets. It was simply too big for that and we happened to get the noob. I, for one, will be there next year 100%I

This just in; S-U has single handedly saved nec AND dev 2k13...AND at the same time lowered the IQ of this thread by about 50 points...and kingace has raised it back up! It must be snowing in phoenix.

Invitational, OK. But as Said, some players can lose 3, while Winners can still lose only 2. I guess the benefit of being Winner of a Pool is Seeding. But still. Either way, like I said, everyone in Top 8 is good, and the Results truly could have gone any way.

Except for Krayzie. This is all his fault.

Dino...I have one word for you; dayglow.

Google it. Do it. Love it.

All someone needs to do is step up and volunteer.

Not really the case. I was there to help brackets during pools until I left for commentary, but I couldn't just run them. You guys gotta realize how much $$$ was invested there. They simply couldn't take last min volunteers and living out of state, I wasn't on staff. Far too risky from a liability standpoint. The TOs were trained and accountable. Ours just messed up.

As for the rounds, again...i'm surprised nobody said anything...even the players. I'm certain it was just a mistake that could have been fixed by a word from anyone. He probably thought we had our own community rules that were understood and followed by us. Nobody seemed to notice or care, though. That part is just as much our fault as the TO's.

Yea, it doesn't help that the only time I play this game now is in a tournament if the game is there. But yea, in SC5 I will be back to playing on a regular. Hell, some brave souls have to rep NM.

Caveat: I wasn't there, and I didn't witness what happened. I just know first hand how much it sucks to have a tournament get fucked up by accident like that, and how much it can annoy and make these faces out of people :\

That said, If I had the money and the free time, I would happily go to every major and run the brackets, but that is not a realistic thing for me to do. Besides that, running an 8 man double elim bracket isn't rocket science, and with TIO and a laptop, a half trained store clerk could do it. RTD, you got screwed.

I enjoyed watching the stream a ton; especially seeing SC come into it's own as events get more and more professional looking from without even while BS is going down. So that is a silver lining.

See some of you at NEC; and see the rest of you in SC5.

Reactions: RTD
Good luck with this, man. The exact same thing happened to my dog two years ago and it was the end. Enjoy what time is left.

On topic: Congrats to all players, not just placers, because it's impossible for me to gauge just what exactly went down at this point. RTD and Vints definitely got screwed, but I don't know where it all went wrong so it sucks big time.

Here's hoping to see some of you at NEC.

This thread is awesome. Great reading for when I'm bored with nothing but my phone.

Anyways, people get too caught up in caring about if people are the same online as they are offline. Some people are, some aren't. We got people like Dino who are the same online and off, and then we got people like Eli who talk a ton of shit online but are comepletely different in person. Vince certainly gives off a different vibe offline compared to online, I don't get why he's trying to convince people otherwise, especially considering the fact that I remember him admitting to being like that long ago back on the sc.com forums.

Here's an interesting read on online personality types: http://users.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/disinhibit.html

Anyways who cares if people portray themselves differently online, what matters most is how they are in person.

Sorry for trailing off topic. I'll end it by giving props to lolo again.

Congrats lolo!

Noooooooooooooo. I hope she is ok. I'd die if anything happened to my pooch. Best wishes.

Heaton...I meant that as a very strong compliment. Your siggy is the most solid one that I have fought hands down.

As for resetting...the pools were mini tournaments...top 2 of each got into an invitational tournament...a new tournament. When you have thousands of entrants over dozens of games, it makes sense. It was in the rules for months, any bitching about it is moot.

I don't know about you all, but I had a fucking fantastic weekend that I wouldn't change one bit. Sure, there were hiccups, and I largely blame myself for not taking a more hands on approach to our brackets. That said, I was too busy having a bomb ass time, drinking good booze, hanging with awesome people, eating at awesome restaurants, going to awesome parties, having awesome casuals and enjoying the beautiful weather. Everything else is trivial.

Also, if you weren't there and don't have props to post, then please gtfo of our thread so you don't look even dumber than you already do.

S-U...that meant you...all you do is post about the mods being bad. Are you seriously all out of constructive shit to say? I respect you in that you are largely the same in person irl as on the forum, and not many people are, but is this necessary? I was there...in person, trying to mediate the bracket thing. The rest of us know that. Your opinions and or input on the matter are not only unwelcome, but completely uninformed and worthless.

That said, GGs guys. Wish I could make NEC, but I got some big catering gigs that weekend. I'll see you guys for early sc5 regional events fo sho.

Rtd, I owe you a rave. I always come through on these things.

Nfk, txt me an address if you want me to send your madcatz bag.

Xeph, you are adorable.

Heaton, 1b is broken.

Krayzie, learn to drive stick.

Revin...ban yun! I call broken.

Ndk, talk more.

Signia, that is one tender and delicious nipple.

Vints, be manlier irl. NEVER turn down a 'nice to meet you' beer, even if you hide and pour it out. - 1000 manliness points.

Nfk, no matter what we all say, good shit. You shredded to the max...again.

Lolo...congrats. gracias por la tequila. Tu fuiste mejor de...todos nosotros. Online por vida! quiero jugar mas en psn.

Omega...entiendo mas que crees. Me espanol es malo, cierto, pero not que malo se crees. No hablo. Escucho. Dices palabras y cosas muy negativas. I meant it when I asked you to slow down because i'm used to talking w/ mexicans, but then I figured I would get to know you better if I stayed quiet...and I was right. No i'm not rich. No i'm not a dipshit white boy, and no we don't ruin our guacamole with lime or lemon. You just got it in a shitty restaurant. No necissito decir nada. Hablas mucho. Much love...er...mucho luvooooooooooo.

Dest...I feel your airport pain.

Wuht...very nice to meet ya. Hope to see you around more. I honestly thought you were trolling and was surprised as fuck, pleasantly, to see you show up. I hope az was good to ya. It is always good to finally play the same old guys but offline. Hopefully your first major was awesome.

LP...dude I thought you were in our private number convo...i'm seriously sorry you couldn't reach me when you got in. I was a dick about it because I thought you had my number and just weren't calling and then got mad at me. I really apologize for that. That said, we have much in common. We gettin fucked up at evo and you're goin down...the hard way.

Greatone...you are too awesome. You have no clue how much you contribute to our small community. I look forward to seeing you at many events and hitting that sprite.

Infestedemololicc...I'm pumped you came out with us. Step 1, down. We gotta break you outta that shell! Step two is hookers in vegas at evo. You better be down!

Ice...why didn't we play? It has been too long, sir.

Juece...glad we got to meet. Sorry we didn't play. Next time!

ZHS...fuck what people say. You showed up, got trolled, improved greatly over one day and landed an 18 hit combo on stream. You did great. I'm glad we got to play a few matches...even if I only burger king spammed. I hope you come out more after this.

Bad games to paper rock scissors. I had all of us in one pool for a better chance and NONE of us got called! Wtf!?!? I say we make them replay the bracket and include us.

More later. I'm fucking drunk.
WOW man it seems you dont understan shit cause i never said any of that stuff you said in the post, it seems you understood nothing of what i said, but good for you if thats what you understood.

I want to apologize for taking so long to post in this thread. DEV was super stressful for me this year (due to a plethora of issues out of our hands) and I'm just now coming out of the post-DEV coma. I will have full results posted by the end of the weekend at the latest. With that said...

Congrats to EVERYONE who attended the DEV SC4 tournament. I think it was the most talented gathering of SC players since the last time SC was at Evo. I was really happy to see all the names when I was building the bracket, and I think this was the largest SC tournament that has occurred in years.

Big ups to lolo (YOSHI!), NFK and RTD, as well as everyone else who made top 8 or got very close. In this tournament, making top 8 is harder than winning many other tournaments, so congrats to all of you.

Let me address a couple of issues that I've seen in this thread. I haven't read through the whole thing, so if I missed anything that needs to be explained/commented on, please let me know.

RTD / Bracket Issues

With the current size of DEV, we have to rely quite a bit on volunteers to run brackets. The Soul Calibur tournament had roughly 80 entrants, which is amazing, but MvC and AE had nearly 400 each. Due to the sheer size of the other tournaments, most of our experienced bracket runners were pulled to handle the Capcom fighters. On finals day, we were simply shorthanded, so again, SC ended up with someone less experienced than we would have liked.

There's no way that I can go back and correct the issue that happened between RTD and NFK, and I truly apologize because I feel RTD was in a good position to win, or at least take second before all of this happened. All I can do is assure everyone that in the upcoming years we'll do more bracket training in an effort to give our volunteers more experience with brackets. If any of you would like to volunteer to run brackets next year, I'm all for that.

Bracket Reset in Top 8

Looking at the competition in every game at DEV this year, the top 8 had a long road littered with talented players. Just making it to the top 8 was a feat comparable to winning many recent tournaments. What we wanted to do was treat the top 8 as a separate tournament. This allows the best of the best to truly show how good they are compared to the other great players at the event.

Yes, anyone who qualified in loser's may potentially get an extra loss. But to compensate, the winner's from pool play get better seeding in the top 8. No one had any issue with this when the thread was created several months ago. It's not all that different from other tournaments running 3/5 the entire top 8. It forces the players to prove that they deserve every win, and it gives the spectators more high level SC to watch.

However, if anyone had an issue with this, it wouldn't have been difficult to go with a standard tournament format. This is honestly the first I've heard anyone complain about it.

Suggestions for DEV 2012

DEV has tried to support the SC community as much as possible over the last few years. Next year we will have SC5 and it should be amazing. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions for next year, I'd be happy to hear it; either in this thread or via PM. If you have negative feedback, please offer a reasonable solution to the problem. It's easy to complain about something, but not very easy to provide a proper solution.

Again, I want to thank EVERYONE who came out for DEV 2011. I think it was an epic SC tournament to say the least.

Wow you guys take what people say on forums way too seriously. It's hard to think of people on a forum as real people until you meet them. After you do meet them though... personal insults should not be tolerated over the internet. Yeah I talked a lot of shit beforehand and did much less of it in person but it makes far less sense to do so when you're just havin a good time playing the game (it also makes less sense to do so when they're not serious matches or you're losing). Plus I was just trying to generate some hype lol.

After you get a better sense of the fact that there's a person behind that computer, typing away, it should seem a bit cruel to talk shit when they can no longer do anything about it. That's probably why I'm not getting shat on right now, and it's why I'm not gonna go online and send Zombieheadshots a message saying I told you so (I said something along the lines of his strategy being self-defeating offline and I wouldn't have to try in order to win if this was offline). Shoutouts to the surprise beatdowns layed out by LP, Omega, Heaton, and Vincent, you guys way exceeded my expectations. I had classic delusions of mastery not unlike youtube kids thinking they can beat the pros, but don't get the wrong idea, I didn't do too bad in the tournament, with only one match away from top 8, losing both matches to the same person (Vints).

Ideally if you have a problem with someone you should talk to them about it in person... though I'll admit there wasn't that much time to do so at DEV. If you fail to do so you missed your chance (I know I did), especially for personal insults (I'd feel deeply insulted if I were Vints or DINO). Really, insulting someone's personality is fucked up anyway. We all know I have the most personality out of all you anyway :P

DrDogg said:
RTD / Bracket Issues
Bracket Reset in Top 8

Thanks for responding to the community. That goes a long way in addressing our concerns. As for suggestions, I think that you guys already have the recipe for success. All you have to do is what you did last year and drop by every once in a while for that gdlk commentary.

As for the bracket reset, I think that it was genius for the reasons that you've specified. Also, a player could be having a bad day but with the reset, that player will have more opportunities to show their true potential with a fresh start the next day. The additional seeding rewards the winners with a higher chance to advance by matching them up with the losers.

This format is perfect for a multi-day marathon like dev and it may even benefit 1 day tournaments.

But yeah, like I said before, dev was awesome and it's only going to get bigger and better with sc5.

You can go ahead and put me(and/or my son) down as the first one(s) on the list to register for next year.

We expect to be raving and gaming it up as usual.

And now I'm off to NEC. After I take that, I'll be glad to do that documentary.

Back