Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

[A+B] -> c2b seems to whiff against aPat frequently as well.
Again, he is just one of those characters with a weird hitbox.

I'll see if same thing happens vs Pyrrha and Viola.

Did some testing in the lab.
Against Pyrrha & Viola, C2B will randomly whiff if used at minimum range after 22_88B.
(I thought it was something to do with the angles because it would sometimes whiff after sidestepping and whiff punishing 3B with 22_88B -> c2B). A follow up 66A+B, C1B or CE might be a better choice in this situation.
I like 66A+B because it gives good Oki.

Personally, I wouldn't risk the loop against Pyrrha because a miss = a stab. Not fun lol.

Against NM and Astaroth though, loops are fun.

Ok so someone finally brought this up. The c2b whiffing after 22_88 b is BS. I think its a angle and a distance thing. Since 22_88 b is side stepping move you rarely hit dead straight on. Well some angles plus some distances make c2b whiff. The best solution i have found is to try to hit with 22_88 b straight on as much as possible. I complained about this a few weeks ago in a patches thread btw.

About the loop

Its harder on some character than others. One of the easiest is astaroth. One of the hardest is pyrra. With practice loop is always worth it. Its just vs characters like pyrra your c2b timing has to be dead on. I always use same method to do c2b loop. Some people i feel get lazy and try to juggle them at med height cause it works vs some characters. But the best way to c2b loop is

22_88 b-c2b-g-c2b(highest height)-g-c2b(lowest height)

Vs characters that are hard to loop you must use this pattern. Your missing the second c2b cause your not hitting at highest height.

EDIT: when i was still in learning stages of c2b loop i would use this variation of the loop vs hard to loop characters

22_88 b-c2b-g-3b be-g-c2b(lowest height)-g-c2b(highest height) repeat.

Hope this helps. Overall the most important thing to remember when using hilde is practice practice practice. She is one of the few character you can spend a good amount of training mode time on.

At this point when a possible patch could come and just erase the loop idk if its really worth learning.

I'm having trouble getting a 3B BE > C2B > G > C2B to relaunch on Pyrrha at all. I'm having to use another 3B BE to continue the loop, but I would rather not use the meter. Is it possible to relaunch her after the second C2B in this one?

Also, has anyone been able to consistently add in B+K AT into their loops?

I'm having trouble getting a 3B BE > C2B > G > C2B to relaunch on Pyrrha at all. I'm having to use another 3B BE to continue the loop, but I would rather not use the meter. Is it possible to relaunch her after the second C2B in this one?

Also, has anyone been able to consistently add in B+K AT into their loops?

Ok well there is a reason, you can only hit male characters with 3b be-c2b-g-c2b repeat :) The 2nd c2b whiffs on all females idk why. Only after this starter too. For along time i just thought the 3b be-c2b loop was hard. Then i figured this out.

This is one of those things that people that say c2b loop is cheap dont know. But if you hit complete loop after 3b be you max out around 155 damage.

I noticed 3B BE was the best option for loops damage-wise, because it doesn't stun. It also doesn't work on Voldo, haha. The CH 66B BE loops is difficult too, though not impossible on Voldo. Looks like you just kinda have to memorize when the loop works and when it doesn't. Also, count Ivy in as a male character, it works on her/him ;].

So, besides 3B BE, what are her best post-GI options? Is C4B guaranteed?

Oh sorry i thought you said guard break for some reason. After gi if they are by a wall you can use 66b be for wall splat combo's.

gi-66b be-W!-c1a-W!-A+B hold into c2b loop.

you cant c4 after gi cause its ABK, You cant do any charges after gi.

If you dont have bar just do 3ba-c1b

I could not get 3b be loop to work on ivy. I tried her out the first day i figured it out cause i figured she was as big as a man. I have no clue how 66b be counter hit works i really dont use it much. But timing seems same as A+B hold.

Ohhhh, I completely forgot about the fact that it's 4A+B+K, so that eliminates all charges... Seems like her post-GI's aren't that great. Maybe 3(A)/3A mixups?

That would mean C4B would be possible after some guard breaks though right? Maybe not...

Also, I think I know why I got it to work on Ivy. I was using Elysium. This would mean she has different hitboxes for the loop. Who knew?

Ok yeah im in training mode right now i cant hit voldo. Im gona try ivy next, there is one thing i remember'd about doing loop after 3b be while i was trying to hit voldo. When you slam them down with 3b be their body bounces up. You want to hit them at the highest height of this bounce. It will actually be a smash to the ground one bounce then they hit the ground and bounce a 2nd time. Hit at the top of that bounce and it gives you more time to hit with c2b.

Oh just checked it super easy on ivy lol

Hey if your gona check please make a list lol

Ok lets do this, i think the man woman rule is good if they are only afew exceptions which i think that maybe the case. Im gona check all women.

You are right for sure though, i hit ivy on like my 3rd try, been tyring to hit vold for like 20 mins now lol.

Yeah, I was playing vs a Voldo today and noticed it was really difficult to hit him with many of the loops. That's how I found 3B BE didn't loop against him. An alternative to this is 3B BE > C2B > G > 3B BE > C2B loops, but it is very difficult (of course lol).

I'd be cool with making a list, but I can't check right now. For reference, here's a list of characters where Ivy 6B8K is guaranteed after a blocked 1B BE. I bet the lists are pretty similar, exculding Voldo.

ZWEI
Raphael
Siegfried
Hilde
Ivy
Cervantes
Nightmare
Mitsurugi
Maxi
Yoshimitsu
Voldo
Astaroth
AlphaPat
Algol

Ok we both make list and see if they cross check. My rule is totally wrong, i just hit lexia with 3b be loop. 66b be loop is weird for sure. I am going to soon alot of the time. I feel like hitting the rolling animation early is best method or they go off axis. Then if you do that part successfully you have to delay the c2b just a sec or you go to early.

PAT- 3B BE yes, 66B BE yes

zwei- 3b be yes, 66b be yes

lexia- 3b be yes, 66b be yes

natsu- 3b be yes(easy), 66b be yes

Ezio- 3b be yes, 66b be yes

raph- 3b be yes (hard i thought), 66b be yes

viola- 3 be yes, 66b be yes

pyrrha- 3b be no( i did hit with c2b but it was not low enough to relaunch), 66b be yes

sieg- 3b be no( i did hit with c2b but it was not low enough to relaunch), 66b be yes

hilde 3b be yes, 66b be yes

xiba- 3b be yes(easy), 66b be yes (easy)

ivy- 3b be yes

cervantes- 3b be yes(hard)

aeon- 3b be yes (easy)

tira- 3b be yes (hard)

nightmare- 3b be no (keeps going off axis)

mitsu - 3b be yes (easy) i love to block 2kb and then punish with 3b be for 150 damage lol

maxi- 3b be yes (easy)

yoshi- 3b be yes

voldo- 3b be no

asty- 3b be no( he keeps going off axis.......)

apat- 3b be yes

pyrrha omega- 3b be no ( i did hit with c2b but it was not low enough to relaunch)

algol - 3b be yes

Ok now all the ones i have said yes you can for sure c2b loop. The ones i have said no there is a possibility im wrong, but even if im wrong those characters are stupid hard to hit with c2b loop from 3b be.

list of characters that cant be hit by 3b be-c2b-g-c2b

asty
nightmare
voldo
pyrrha
pyrrha omega
sieg

gona double check, anyone who wants to help please check for me.

how do you Hilde players deal with grabs? i just keep getting grabbed because im charging A or B and cant break them.

Surely you can quickly let it go and press it again when you see the grab coming?

Though tbh, if you're frequently getting grabbed when you're playing as Hilde, that suggests that you're not really using her right - you shouldn't be that close to your opponent if you can help it!

Don't charge when you can be grabed. If your just learning hilde there is one annoying thing everyone needs to know. If you are charging a button when you get knocked down You have to hold that charge till you stand up again to cancel it with g. So when you get knocked down and your charging if you let go of that charge at any time before you stand up it will come out. You cant cancel the charge by holding G on the ground. Your move will come out. So ushually when i get knocked down i let go of all charges before my body hits the ground.

Ok i understand exactly why the Japanese use wave dash,

Lets say you dont use wave dash. You just keep taping back at the right time. Its takes a longer period of time to tap back and then go neutral and then press right or left on reaction. When your doing wave dash your not taping anything. Its more of a mash so its a lot easier to just slide to side step. To do back step you have to tap back and go neutral, which takes extra time.

So in a nutshell using wave dash makes it easier to dodge vertical attacks on reaction while you are moving back words.

Also after testing some today with a stop watch doing wave dash with hilde is about 1/3 faster than using back dash. So really all it has is benefits. The quickest way to make a very short distance is using regular step back. But the quickest way to make a long distance is wave dash.

Okaaaay....Hmmmm

I've been using Hilduh for around 3 or so weeks, and even though I'm doing relatively well with her so far, it feels like I'm missing something. I'm trying to figure out the optimal way I should be playing her. It seems with every other character, although some things may vary, there's a specific way to should go about handling things. She has tools for half screen whiff punishing, which does decent damage but usually puts you in a reset. She has good mid range step punishers. She has quick close range pokes, both low and and high to interrupt pressure.

I find that Hilde has great tools all around, but unlike the rest of the roster, I can't find away to put all together. I think any of the trouble I have with her is that I'm not going into battle with much of a game plan. Like I'm always playing my opponents game because I don't really have one of my own. I bait whiffs and punish, and poke my way out of pressure but it never feels like I'm building to anything and with every hit I'm back at square 1.

Every Hilde I've seen played is completely different and I haven't found much to put together here that would lead me into an optimal use of the character. Should everything I do just be focused on getting a c2b chain going(which is what I mostly hear about on the board)? Could use some advice on this one

Wow, this thread is alive...

Yeah, Hilde's really tough, but her end "product" (for lack of better of a word) is what I find to be a fun mix of Mitsurugi, Algol, Patroklos with a little Leixia or Natsu. It's probably best to create your own unique style that suits you because of the many ways she can be played, but for starters I would recommend focusing on using her godlike pokes (3K, 66K, 2A, 4A, 6B etc) and baiting people into eating her evasive/punishing moves like 22B, CE, 22A, 2A+B or whatever you like really. In a sense, don't play the defensive, play the evasive. That's how I play her anyways. Also, a really dirty technique is to make people scared of 22B to the point where they will just block 2-3 of them in a row. Then, the moment their guard hits red, use homeland. It can't be evaded, so they either eat a homeland or a guard break.

I'm actually gonna be working on a "Hilde 101" youtube video/series this weekend, so perhaps it can give you some more ideas on how to use her.

Good thinking. I think a lot of the reason this forum is a bit dead is because she's so hard to figure out. She's said to be primarily a spacing character, but she's filled with tools that say otherwise. I'm starting to think that's she's more about locking an opponent down with her great step killers, and leaving them with only the options to block or attack. Tons of evasion tools to get around attacks to punish them hard, and good amount break attacks to open a blocking opponent up for high damage.
I think a guide focusing on which tools are best for which of the 3 situations (movement shutdown, evasion, and guard break) would be extremely helpful. 22B, CE, and c#A's/[A+B] are obviously, but can be pretty limiting against a studied opponent.

P.S Is there any use for 4B? If there is, I sure haven't found one. I seem to be hit out of it nonstop by the shortest ranged attacks. Not to mention you only get a measly 4 frames on hit... and it's highly negative on block? I don't get it.

P.P.S I really wish her ground game wasn't so garbage. I think that kills her momentum more than anything in this game.

Back