How will the new timeline diverge from the old?

I’ll just say this. If we ever go back to the SCV era I’ll be happy to eat my words. I’ll also be happy to watch the burning trainwreck that follows.

And no there’s no way that’s him. All it’s doing is matching up meaningless similarities that amount to nothing. I mean if they really wanted to foreshadow it just like Raphael as Nightmare they would’ve had the same voice actors or something.

Anyways I’ll post a better response later when I’m at my computer. But the point is practically everyone I’ve seen but you has referred to this as a reboot or a new timeline.

I would like to point out three plot points that deviated from original timeline that no one has mentioned.

- In the original timeline, Siegfried encounters Soul Edge near Cervantes’s corpse, Inferno posses this corpse and Siegfried fights Inferno for Soul Edge. The new timeline simply has Siegfried find Soul Edge at the harbor.

- Xianghua originally defeated Inferno alone as Kilik was too injuried in the original timeline. The new timeline has Kilik in his purified malfested form take over for Xianghua after she fails to defeat Inferno.

-Aeon is shown with a Axe and Shield. No Sword and Shield. He was not using a axe until sc3

I’m personally annoyed at first two changes. I wanted to fight inferno possessing Cervantes. I also dislike the story making Xianghua seem weaker as she couldn’t defeat Inferno, and Kilik is stronger as he had to fight Nightmare AND Inferno without the power of Soul Calibur. The original timeline had both these heroes doing their equal share. The new timeline has Kilik do more heavy lifting.

Last edited:
I would like to point out three plot points that deviated from original timeline that no one has mentioned.

-Aeon is shown with a Axe and Shield. No Sword and Shield. He was not using a axe until sc3

They completely recognize Aeon's Sword and Shield useage with the weapons given to him by Ares

Schwarzsturm.png

I also dislike the story making Xianghua seem weaker as she couldn’t defeat Inferno, and Kilik is stronger as he had to fight Nightmare AND Inferno without the power of Soul Calibur.

I never saw that as Xianghua being weaker, but Inferno was much stronger. Kilik had to fight him in his malfested form and still couldn't outright defeat him. Xianghua still had to be the one to land the killing blow and shatter Soul Edge

They completely recognize Aeon's Sword and Shield useage with the weapons given to him by Ares

Schwarzsturm.png

you fight Aeon with a axe in Libra. Yes I’m talking about Aeon himself who makes a appearance as a cpu controlled character.

Living the 17 years instead of skipping them would not be changing anything, assuming the events that followed, in 1607, played out the same, and we finally got the full story we were supposed to get in SoulCalibur V.
Doesn't Okubo dislike Patroklos? I saw this claim on Tvtropes, haven't found a source for it though.

Last edited:
For the love of- what the fuck did I waste my time reading here?
For my part, the ramblings of someone who cares about the story way too much attempting to make sense out of someone challenging her views. Even I acknowledge that that last wall of text post was far too long, and I really didn't mean to do that, it just kind of happened. I was just making the post and it turned out being all that. I'm enthralled by SoulCalibur VI's level of detail and cohesion, and to me, it's very clear that they're making a neat and streamlined series of events here, creating one canon, instead of the older games with so many contradicting plots, and yet, everyone remains important and interconnected. SoulCalibur VI's story modes, both of them, come together to make a symbiotic whole, and it's beautiful.

@DYY
With the axe/sword and shield situation, it's really just incomplete game development getting in the way of lore. Like it was pointed out, the official Scwarzstrom art shown in the story modes not only pictures Xi Sword & Game Shield, but also that he properly uses the sword with his left hand. This art acknowledges that that is still the case, but unfortunately, they weren't able to bring this to fruition. They may complete this and add Aeon as DLC, properly using the left-handed style, having Xi Sword & Game Shield as his primary weapon, and also having the axes as well. There isn't a gameplay distinction between the generic Lizardmen and Aeon himself in this game, aside from Aeon wearing his SoulCalibur IV armor. It's unfortunate, but at the very least, we know that they are aware of this inconsistency, else they would have modified that art to give him an axe and put it in his right hand, if that was their intention.
I'm with @REPROBEAN_CHILD here, it's not that Xianghua was too weak, it's that it was a group effort between both Kilik and Xianghua. Even Maxi played his part, even if he was just buying time so that Kilik and Xianghua could get inside. They were justifying the group dynamics, and in that we finally got to see Kilik's Evil Seed form represented in gameplay, it was a great opportunity to show his darker side and how he uses it to balance himself, that he can still use his rage as long as he can control it. Xianghua weakened Inferno, that had to be done, with Soul Calibur, and then Kilik did his part to weaken him further, since Xianghua needed a breather, as Soul Calibur drains your life force as you use it, and then, ultimately, Xianghua does finish the job, as only Soul Calibur is capable.
I get what you're saying, but if they had shown Siegfried versus Inferno, it would have spoiled it for the main story. By leaving it as just "Sophitia and Taki defeated Cervantes, destroying one half of Soul Edge, and Siegfried inadvertently picked up the surviving half and became the new host", it sets up the story without getting too into detail about specifics, and for the ones who are unaware, then they get to see Inferno for the first time, and it has more impact. It would have been different if they had the SoulBlade part of the game playable, alas.

Doesn't Okubo dislike Patroklos? I saw this claim on Tvtropes, haven't found a source for it though.
I haven't seen this, can't confirm/deny. But even if he does, there's a lot more to SoulCalibur V than just Patroklos and Pyrrha. They really dropped the ball with that story, not showing Maxi/Leixia/Xiba/Natsu in detail, not going into Z.W.E.I./Viola/Raphael/Nightmare, not showing Kilik's story in any capacity, not explaining the other characters or justifying their inclusion, just... a lot of failings there. If it is revisited and given the love and attention to detail as SoulCalibur VI's story, it can be a complete experience as it should have been in the first place, and not just revolve around the Alexandras.

I haven't seen this, can't confirm/deny. But even if he does, there's a lot more to SoulCalibur V than just Patroklos and Pyrrha. They really dropped the ball with that story, not showing Maxi/Leixia/Xiba/Natsu in detail, not going into Z.W.E.I./Viola/Raphael/Nightmare, not showing Kilik's story in any capacity, not explaining the other characters or justifying their inclusion, just... a lot of failings there. If it is revisited and given the love and attention to detail as SoulCalibur VI's story, it can be a complete experience as it should have been in the first place, and not just revolve around the Alexandras.
I couldn't agree more. For the past few days I've been trying to piece the story together and would love to see SCV's story told from the perspective of all characters up until Chapter 20. They also skipped Aeon, Algol, Cervantes, Dampierre, Hilde, Mitsurugi, and Yoshimitsu completely.

I might me in the minority, but I personally loved how goofy and corny Xiba was. Not to mention that shit-eating grin after he says "That was a lot of fun!"

I tried 6, but knowing how many holes and unanswered questions there were in 5's story, it just hurt playing 6 to some extent.

Last edited:
The entire argument assumes we're ever going to the SCV era again. If they thought that era was just fine, they wouldn't have turned back the clocks to begin with.

The entire argument assumes we're ever going to the SCV era again. If they thought that era was just fine, they wouldn't have turned back the clocks to begin with.
It makes sense, though, because you literally couldn't really follow SoulCalibur V if you wanted, because of how incomplete it was. The alternative was to just remake SoulCalibur V, and do it better this time, and selling the same game two times in a row just wouldn't be smart. No, going back and setting up proper foundations from the beginning, and working our way back to that point, doing it properly this time, makes a lot more sense.

What makes more sense is just not doing it at all because that’s what the fans actually want. Did you not see how the fanbase was universally relieved that we wouldn’t be going through the time skip?

- In the original timeline, Siegfried encounters Soul Edge near Cervantes’s corpse, Inferno posses this corpse and Siegfried fights Inferno for Soul Edge. The new timeline simply has Siegfried find Soul Edge at the harbor.

That's almost exactly how it went down in Soul Blade. Once you beat arcade with Siegfried he's shown in the harbor wandering towards the remaining half of Soul Edge. The moment he touches it the blade clamps down onto his hand and he is transformed into Nightmare. The entire opening of soul chronicles is actually quite true to the Soul Blade lore.

That's almost exactly how it went down in Soul Blade. Once you beat arcade with Siegfried he's shown in the harbor wandering towards the remaining half of Soul Edge. The moment he touches it the blade clamps down onto his hand and he is transformed into Nightmare. The entire opening of soul chronicles is actually quite true to the Soul Blade lore.
from official Soul Calibur prologue, the canon had Siegfried fight Inferno first. There is also official prologue image.
15282760-ED0F-476B-B88E-9127E9747518.jpeg

Well to be fair you do fight inferno prior to the ending.
and Soul Calibur 6 removes the Inferno fight completely. Not all endings were canon in Soul Blade either. Usually the following game confirms what is canon, and the canon says Sieg fought Inferno before becoming the owner of Soul Edge.

No I get that but just because they don't actually show the fight with inferno doesn't mean it didn't happen. When he is approaching Soul Edge he looks tired and weak as if he just faught a fierce battle. I just personally feel the way the intro was handled was a nod to some of the events in SB.

Yeah, having completed Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul last night it's pretty clear this is what SCVI is: it's a remake of SCI, it's not a reboot. It's similar to how CAPCOM remade Resident Evil 1 and used it as a way to foreshadow future events, explain some things that got a bit muddled in the later games, and give a few new things that might become important in future titles.

I think about it this way: Soulcalibur has always been framed as a sort of historical tale and like many tales in history interpretations change over time as new information is learned, old theories are discarded, and we delve deeper into what actually happened due to new context. With SCVI we have the Aval Organization and Azwel who are indeed a new element, but it's implied they always existed, we just never knew about them until now. So far there's not really anything that hints at a divergence because everything still lines up. Characters in particular are not introduced earlier than usual. Zasalamel, despite being involved earlier, actually doesn't associate with ANYONE in the story so his identity as someone working behind the scenes is still intact. Same thing with Tira and Talim; their ages haven't changed because their personal stories happen when they're supposed to and only involved what's relevant to them at that time.

As such, this is essentially just dramatizing events we knew happened in supplementary material, but we only learned after the fact. There are no major divergences and it's probably going to take to at LEAST SCVII to see if anything starts changing. I find the theory that Groh is Z.W.E.I. to be intriguing as well; it is known that Malfestation causes weird things to happen with people and SCV made it clear influence from the Soul Swords can stop aging, so maybe that might explain how that could happen. I even checked their info and Groh and Z.W.E.I. even have the same height and close to the same weight. Though they would have to explain how his hair went from white and blue to black and white, why his fighting style changed, why he doesn't have a scar anymore, and what the hell E.I.N. is. Still, intriguing idea though I'd prefer if they remained separate characters.

As such, this is essentially just dramatizing events we knew happened in supplementary material, but we only learned after the fact. There are no major divergences and it's probably going to take to at LEAST SCVII to see if anything starts changing. I find the theory that Groh is Z.W.E.I. to be intriguing as well; it is known that Malfestation causes weird things to happen with people and SCV made it clear influence from the Soul Swords can stop aging, so maybe that might explain how that could happen. I even checked their info and Groh and Z.W.E.I. even have the same height and close to the same weight. Though they would have to explain how his hair went from white and blue to black and white, why his fighting style changed, why he doesn't have a scar anymore, and what the hell E.I.N. is. Still, intriguing idea though I'd prefer if they remained separate characters.
New Legends of Project Soul tells a bit of Z.W.E.I.'s tale, that he was to be put to death by Graf Dumas, and instead of dying, the wolf spirit E.I.N. manifest itself and saved him, which could have been a side effect of Azwel's experiments that he hadn't foreseen. The weapon was made by a blacksmith on a gamble that he bet the blacksmith he could use it effectively, despite its unorthodox nature, and he was able to use it. As far as his backstory, it was said that he was born and raised in a monastery, and had a strict code of guidelines he had to live by, and then broke free and lived with outlaws instead, before meeting Viola, protecting her, and meeting Siegfried, and then joined Schwarzwind.

It's not exactly 1:1 Grøh and the Aval Organization being described here, but it's close enough to warrant entertaining the possibility.

Does Sophitia still have the unremovable soul edge fragment stuck in her body in SCVI? at the end of the day,it's one of the key elements that eventually lead to V being what it was,story wise,and I doubt they'd want to go down that road again with this soft reboot.
And honestly,I hope they'd remove that part since it's also what leads her to the very tragic turn of events in IV that I personally despise,with her daughter being kidnapped and being blackmailed into protecting Soul Edge,and then...killing herself for her daughter's sake.And I'm scared that if they kept this plot element without wanting her to sacrifice herself at the end to keep the roster status quo that they'd make her go full crazy/corrupted a la Pyrrha Omega or some inane garbage,which would be even worse.
I can't even play her in VI without being reminded of her sad story and go emo mode for a while,guess I'm too sensitive to this shit :(.

Back