Ivy Online/Lag Tactics

Well wiped the opening post...

Let me clear a few things though:

• The intent of the post was for the intention of playing online non-ranked matches with a 3-4 person room. occasionally I'll be unfortunate enough to be facing a lag abusing mitsu or cervy. We've all been there and we've all lost to scrubs thinking Cervy's terribly GI-able/CH-able 4B+K is the best move in history. I merely wanted a collection of thoughts to help battle people when lag is creating an unfair advantage that would force you to lose and be put at the back of the line and forced to wait. 1 or 2 matches to have another shot. I would like to be able to out "abuse" an online player when faced with a lag abuser so as not avoid this inconvenience and move on to matches where this will not be used.
  • I am a good Ivy. I am not the best. I'll admit I thought I was better than I was since yes...until VERY recently pretty much every Ivy has lost to me spare Woahhzz. However I have found some people from the site which were/are better and my Ivy has been improving a lot and my past strategies have all been abandoned. I will still say I have a very strong Ivy both on and offline and I will challenge anyone. Impending Doom...you in particular need to rematch me. I'm pretty confident in a VERY different turn out.
  • Much thanks to Awestruck for getting me better.

Anti-Turtle Ivy strategy?

i need it the other way round. I had an amazing connection 5 bar (which is amazing for me) against an Ivy player turtling. I pretty much did everything but i knew what i was going to do. All her moves seem to quickly side step me or were faster than any of my combo starters i did get a few rounds but they were very close. Any1 got any stratergies i've added the guy and wana face him again those were some of the best matches i've played.

Anti-Turtle Ivy strategy?

Anyone turtling in this game is going to be at a disadvantage. Use all of the SG damaging moves-especially WP 6B+K2_8 and SW 3B. These two moves alone will have your opponent flashing in the red before he wants to be. And by all means do as Felix007 suggested: blockstun buffer CS/SS at every chance you get...

I don't post here very often, but I wanted to share my ideas about 214:B. I play ranked alot which I probably should not be doing, and every time I see an Ivy player like, tcy148(Lag abuser whom I destroyed), or Detroited 2k, they spam 214:B and I usually punish with seiggys 6B. What are your views of 214:B spamming?

rofl unsafe ON HIT.

my advice? pick sophie, learn 236b:4, win hard.
HAHAH YOUR RIGHT!!! lol, but I usually win hard with Siegfrieds 6B, but other 214:B spammers will probably side dash it, avoiding that attack, so maybe it could be some good spam, but that's rare.

214B spam huh?... Well I guess we should start somewhere with "anti ONLINE IVY" I'm waiting on the chapter for how to get past 9B spam.

online its hard to punish :| i can do that on XBL but not on PSN >_>
Just like kilik 1B -.- ppl online use that as main attack tool...i'd like to show them that -16 should eat from 40 to 60 dmg instead of having a free asura counter -.-
Or even soph AsB that cannot be punished properly online giving those moves unfair advantage.

At least ppl is noticing that playing "online" is not only a laglow matter.....

rofl unsafe ON HIT.

my advice? pick sophie, learn 236b:4, win hard.
Hmm..where people are getting this from? It's not unsafe on hit. Only the stance cancel is unsafe, but no one does that unless he knows the opponent is out of range.

This move isn't as simple as some people think. Ivy player has many options to avoid damage after blocked 214B. The only character in the game capable of punishing 214B on hit is Setsuka with her i12 umbrella and this one also depends on the range and it must be the fastest input.

And yes, the move is very easy punishable online, it has long animation and it's easy to react. You just have to check her every option from the SE stance in training mode to know how to punish it (some characters don't have any universal answer to her 214B and they mostly have to guess what she does after). Sophitia gets the most damage from double TAS B every time she blocks 214B/214B (at mid to tip range). Normal 236B:4 doesn't work here very well, she doesn't even get the JF followup because 214B block pushback moves her too far.

Reactions: SL
is 214B less unsafe than 214B on block? (considering her oly option as the step)
If not there are many universal answers
still its easy losing a couple of frames online its like sieg 3B k, u won't punish over i13 so easily :( online (see press K)

A smart Ivy player will use 214B at max range (given the pushback + forced crouch and less recovery frames on block it becomes safe against some characters , like Xianghua for instance)

214B is -21 on block.
214B into G cancel is -26+ on block.
214B into SE move/step is less unsafe ( ~ -16/17 or even less at tip)

IIRC to punish 214B most of the time you need to have max i16 mid/high long range move available from FC. Otherwise she might be able to step it in SE or will interrupt/TC it with SE 66K/K/A+K. The major advantage of this move is that it forces crouch and pushes back a lot so when used at certain range only it can be almost safe against many characters.

What Ring said...

But online i can understand it being an issue. A delayed punish can be you eating a CH SE K. Your best bet if you dont' trust the connection, don't try to punish it, maybe try to punish what they do next. A can be easily ducked and shaken out of, K is unsafe, BBB is unsafe, B:B:B:B:B is unsafe, B+K is unsafe, A+K is unsafe and can be reacted to with a tech jump attack. Her only safe option is 66K.

So block standing, react to A or A+K if it occurs, and just take away all the baiting shenanigan options if you don't trust your punish will happen. 214B is a crutch for low level players. If you learn to either punish or wait to punish the unsafe option you'll have them to scared to use it. Also look up what moves will CH everything but SE K after 214B connects. If you have them too scared to do anything but 66K they wont want to go into the stance.

214B spam is VERY bad against players who know how to handle it. I barely even touch it anymore and I use to whore it like crazy because I learned how punishable it was if I didn't pay attention to range, match up, and many other factors.

At absolute tip range 214B into SE step right will step Taki's 66K but it's very rare.

I agree with IFB, though it's also about character. Ivy doesn't have any good answers to this move so in mirror matches it can be abused. Same against Xiang etc

Back