Kayane's Hands-on Impressions of SC5

Namco graciously invited Kayane to come to GamesCom to try out the build of Soul Calibur 5 that they brought with them, but was unable to share her impressions of the game until August 30th because of a media embargo that was in place. Now that the embargo is over, Kayane stayed up until 6AM her local time in France just to share with the community her impressions of the game.

Check Kayane's blog for the full details, and leave a comment with any questions that you may have for her.

I'm pretty sure I made a thread stating that there will be many changes to SC5 (like prev. iterations) and we will all initially react drastically becuz its not SC# any more, and start whining and deciding to hate the game before it has a chance.

I guess I was right, They're making changes, and we're hating them already...History Repeats itself...

Fan Service, blessing and curse, why can't they just listen to what I want. I KNOW BEST.

This goes to Reprobean_Child and everyone else like him.

Some of you guys complain over the dumbest shit. Most of the complaints are just pointless, especially when you consider that initially there wasn't going to be a SCV in the first place.

Here's an analogy so the people complaining about others complaining will understand why people are complaining in the first place. Lets say you go somewhere to eat to have dinner. You order the most expensive steak dinner the food gets done you get handed chicken instead. You did not pay a lot of money to eat some chicken and to make matters worse lets say you dont even like chicken. My question is do you not eat and pay for the meal or you do you say "hey I ordered steak!"?

Same thing thats going on here we banded together so that we could get out order of SCV on the table. Now its our job as the consumer and the one who pays for it to make sure its done right. If all you who say why are people complaining? How about you lay low let people complain since you don't even care in the first place what the final product is gonna be like.

The only thing that I would add is keep the complaints polite but thats been said already. Whats funny though is my analogy is not 100% correct cause even though I ordered a steak I would pay the equivalent to a steak for some chicken. Which means I will still pay for SCV no matter how much I disagree cause I been a fan since Soul Blade.

Thats exatcly what i always say, respect others opinion, even if you dont like it, if a remember well i havent quoted nobodys opinion and destroy it just because i dont agree, if you dont like it suck it up, i care about mine and the others that agree with me i know why im complaining so respect it, thanks peace out. BERSEKERRRRRR CHARGEEEEEEEE.

On the flip side, consider SC4 Raphael's 4A+B and 8A+B aGI (one virtually useless and one difficult to implement), SC3-SC4 Siegfried's SBH aGI (extremely situational and has extremely sketchy frames), and Zasalamel (has no aGI to speak of). I think you missed something important that Blackstar said:
actually, you missed all of zasalamel's GI. have you played that character much? Zasalmel has brilliant attack and evasive capabilities. He'll destroy anyone in the hands of an avid SC player. anyways, thanks for the heads up. I'll look into them, however, I dont have SC4 with me. So I'll base it on SC3, which is in my opinion the best installment as a whole. I'm not arguing against any previous releases tho.

I'm only gonna say that this JG/GI thing is sad! very sad, Namco you were trying to improve the game not ruining it. This GI consuming bar is just a ridiculous attempt from Namco to copy MK9 breaks. GI is what got me into the SC saga, now like this I feel betrayed...

By the way thanks a lot Kayane, pura vida!
Indeed!! anything that copies Mortal Kombat is very f***ing sad. MK was just one gimmick after the next. Soul Blade itself is still beyond the scope of MK in regards to fighting mechanics and command list etc, etc. Well, i didnt see the new MK yet. So besides that and graphics obviously.

Some of you guys complain over the dumbest shit.

this is definitely trolling and being disrespectful towards others, can't you let others do what they want? it's not like they're complaining about you..

especially when you consider that initially there wasn't going to be a SCV in the first place.

this is irrelevant, the developers are not doing what they're doing for us.. they're doing it to make money.. sure they give reasons "due to the fans demands" and there might be some truth to it, but the REAL truth is "due to the potential of making money with another SC since its fanbase is still considerably big".. so do you think it's smart to just being thankful with the presence of another SC and accepting whatever kind of SC that's coming our way?

besides, people are complaining because of their love for SC, so that it could really go beyond SCV, because whatever Tago said about there's going to be SCVI and so on, if SCV fails miserably it won't ever happen... while on the other hand, some people support the dev team delivering whatever they want because of selfish reasons, like:

1. i got bored of taki's boobs and her two fingers pose, so yeah remove her..
2. i don't use GI that much so yeah i don't care about the input change.. or the meter cost..
3. i prolly like JG, never tried it, but who cares, it's better than nothing.. oh and who cares for the people that hated it, they never play it also, they don't know what they're talking about and just being noisy..
4. i got bored playing the same game, so please change whatever..

it's good that daishi felt the need to inform us about the changes, meaning that our complains are being dealt with.. cause at the end of the day, almost everyone here will buy the game anyway..

So after 2 pages of nothing more or less, the issue remains the same:

Alarmist positions are given fuel due to a lack of concrete understanding of the mechanics which leads to speculation. The lack of concrete information is because of Namco's lack of clarification. If they want feedback, they need to give us real information with which to make these judgements. Hopefully, Daishi's clarification tomorrow will have actual "crunchy" info we can work with: numbers and explanations, and not just vague statements.

For clarification; my concern with JG is the encouragement of more gameplay MINIMALISM, not the pitbull/turtle dichotomies. I can see how it can both encourage and discourage minimalism based on the information I have now.

-Idle

Define minimalism.

My main concern is that this new system will force the execution level of the game up significantly, especially online, for no strategic benefit.

On top of that, two of the big appeals of the SC series in the US are

a) It's an easier series execution-wise then any other fighter
b) The classic GI system

Edit: daishi's explanations are coming out now, so lot of what I said is irrelevant.

Still worried about JG, but other stuff seems nice. JG is 2f window.

The explanation for the GI change is because people were getting it out on accident.

Thats exatcly what i always say, respect others opinion, even if you dont like it, if a remember well i havent quoted nobodys opinion and destroy it just because i dont agree, if you dont like it suck it up, i care about mine and the others that agree with me i know why im complaining so respect it, thanks peace out. BERSEKERRRRRR CHARGEEEEEEEE.

leave it, we better start deciding whether or not to play SCV, and on the scheme of things, i thing we better get started to get used to the new system if they don't change it.

peace.

I hope that Namco will release all the frame data for this game so that we can see real high level play early into the game's release.

So apparently 4A+B+K GI's all H, M, L according to Daishi. So much for spamming lows... Interesting, though noob friendly.

I wonder if the GI window will be the same.

This goes to Reprobean_Child and everyone else like him.

Here's an analogy so the people complaining about others complaining will understand why people are complaining in the first place. Lets say you go somewhere to eat to have dinner. You order the most expensive steak dinner the food gets done you get handed chicken instead. You did not pay a lot of money to eat some chicken and to make matters worse lets say you dont even like chicken. My question is do you not eat and pay for the meal or you do you say "hey I ordered steak!"?

Same thing thats going on here we banded together so that we could get out order of SCV on the table. Now its our job as the consumer and the one who pays for it to make sure its done right. If all you who say why are people complaining? How about you lay low let people complain since you don't even care in the first place what the final product is gonna be like.

The only thing that I would add is keep the complaints polite but thats been said already. Whats funny though is my analogy is not 100% correct cause even though I ordered a steak I would pay the equivalent to a steak for some chicken. Which means I will still pay for SCV no matter how much I disagree cause I been a fan since Soul Blade.
Here's another anology...
Supposed you go to that same restaurant for at least a decade and since then usually serve a particular kind of food. At one point, the owners come to the decision that they couldn't come up with any ways to fresh up what they have or to do something innovative, so they decide to close down. A few years later, they come up with something and decide to make a comeback, but have to do several radical changes while keeping some of things they were known for (new menus, some new dishes, building redesign, etc,.). While some people admire the changes and others are curious about them, others detest them because they were used to what was there before. All of this while being driven by the thoughts and opinions of past consumers and is yet to be open...

I'm not saying that you can't complain (they basically shaped the game from fan response), but to such an extent to say "they're doing it wrong" isn't a good thing imo.

Honestly I hate change. But I keep a neutral passive stance until I get a clear gist of what's going on. Sure don't complain, but let's not forget that we don't want our beloved SCV to be mediocre. I'm also skeptical on the mechanics of this game.

Analogy for you sir: You take a hot gold digger from a club in bed to have sex. You get HIV. Why? You were just happy and wishwashy you're being used for money so you can just have sex and didn't care if the chick was a gold digger.

You gotta be greedy in a good way and a bit demanding in a formal way of what of you want buddy.

Analogy of what that dude should of done? Not let the sex drive blindly control him as to don't just be happy that SCV is being released, discuss what you want as a consumer before it's released.

Hope this makes sense.

Pocky-Yoshi

Honestly I hate change. But I keep a neutral passive stance until I get a clear gist of what's going on. Sure don't complain, but let's not forget that we don't want our beloved SCV to be mediocre. I'm also skeptical on the mechanics of this game.

Analogy for you sir: You take a hot gold digger from a club in bed to have sex. You get HIV. Why? You were just happy and wishwashy you're being used for money so you can just have sex and didn't care if the chick was a gold digger.

You gotta be greedy in a good way and a bit demanding in a formal way of what of want buddy.

Analogy of what that dude should of done? Not let the sex drive blindly control him as to don't just be happy that SCV is being released, discuss what you want as a consumer before it's released.

Hope this makes sense.

Pocky-Yoshi

holy sh... you ring the bell mate...

this is definitely trolling and being disrespectful towards others, can't you let others do what they want? it's not like they're complaining about you..

Riiiiiight... After seeing some of the posts on this thread, I felt the need to be vulgar to a degree. And I wasn't the first to address it like that either. Remember when Natsu was first revealed? Remember how everyone whined and complained about her "being" (they said this is how she was going to be) some ditzy, idiot based on her 2D art alone? So you judge a book by it's cover? When they saw her personality and gameplay in the trailers, the people that complained about her being 'ditzy' shut up, didn't they? And with the possibility of Sophitia succeeding Nightmare, some fans outright said they WON'T buy the game if that happened. So instead of trying to figure out how and why she changed, you're just going to reject her altogether? I like Sophitia and would like to understand how it happened and I'm not even a traditional "fan" of the character. Isn't that ironic?

this is irrelevant, the developers are not doing what they're doing for us.. they're doing it to make money.. sure they give reasons "due to the fans demands" and there might be some truth to it, but the REAL truth is "due to the potential of making money with another SC since its fanbase is still considerably big".. so do you think it's smart to just being thankful with the presence of another SC and accepting whatever kind of SC that's coming our way?

besides, people are complaining because of their love for SC, so that it could really go beyond SCV, because whatever Tago said about there's going to be SCVI and so on, if SCV fails miserably it won't ever happen... while on the other hand, some people support the dev team delivering whatever they want because of selfish reasons, like:

1. i got bored of taki's boobs and her two fingers pose, so yeah remove her..
2. i don't use GI that much so yeah i don't care about the input change.. or the meter cost..
3. i prolly like JG, never tried it, but who cares, it's better than nothing.. oh and who cares for the people that hated it, they never play it also, they don't know what they're talking about and just being noisy..
4. i got bored playing the same game, so please change whatever..

it's good that daishi felt the need to inform us about the changes, meaning that our complains are being dealt with.. cause at the end of the day, almost everyone here will buy the game anyway..
So what you're saying is that they don't give two shits about their fans and just want to milk the series dry like Activision did with guitar hero, despite the producers being MORE than open with fan response by interacting with them, doing contests, and taking their responses from SCIV to balance the game? And what I said is VERY relevant, especially since everyone's story concluded in SCIV and Project Soul disbanded after SC:BD. If they were only in it for the money, we would be seeing them turning into the new Capcom and getting more versions of SCIV instead of interacting with the fanbase that was still important to them.

I didn't take the SCVI, SCVII, thing literally; they're just saying that it's possible. With new characters coming to the series, why can't they expand them? And even though the setting is 17 years in the future, what else could they have done 17 years in the past? I really hope you didn't expect it to be extremely similar to the current, did you?

I'm not saying that no one should complain, but they were doing you guys a favor by releasing another game. Cut them some slack. 17 years is a major time jump and it's safe to assume they didn't know how else they could continue the story. Besides, they're having CyberConnect2 handle the story so they can focus more of the core game, aren't they?

I just want them to explain, how the mechanics work and also explain how this new mechanics is better that the GI, thats all i want, if it makes since then ill accept it, if not ill keep complaining:sc3zas1:
I would like that Namco do a video explaining the new mechanics; only reading won't make it... I need to watch and make my own opinions about but all with a good explanation...

Its no use man, they will do watever they want with the game period, from what i understand its the same thing i was thinking it would be, 1 GI for everything no more GI battles no more JI especials or critical edges, cause NOOBS could not use GI very well but ADVANCED PLAYER COULD,SO IT WASSSSS SOOOOOOO NOT FAIR, so as i see it we are moving a step back not foward, JG will give more advantage on stronger moves than on weaker moves period, so difficult to understand, that was the big explanation he gave, i at least already knew that, i just hope for those who think complaining is bad and accepting everything like a whores ass accepting dicks for money the game is good , but my experience and guts tell me the way its developing its going to suck and really be a noobs game.

Live streams

4 Viewers
SeichoTV
SeichoTV
Casual Matches for fun times! Yay! c: Come vibe friends :3 ☯ | Love Questions and Anime! Ask up c: | Backseating okay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back