[London, Kitchener/ South Western Ontario] - Those Other Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, fine, I lied. I never used secondaries to counter "player styles". The moves were just broken against my main. "But then"...

SC3:
-Hwang has a weak counter versus Kilik's aA (6A+K is inconsistent). But then, Sophi's 66A tech crouches and advances nicely.
-Hwang has a weak counter versus Xianghua's 66A+B~G (3A by itself needs crouch recovery on a lot of setups). But then, Sophi's 4B always wins and gives +5 advantage.
SC4:
-Sophitia has a weak counter versus Ivy's CL 214B (AA and 4A are inconsistent). But then, Mitsu's 66A always wins and gives a shake stun on CH into a mixup position.

I'd also use Cass FC 1B versus Algol bubbles... And Mitsu UB/2KB mixups versus Apprentice auto grab break... And 8B vs Amy 3BA... and LOL versus Hilde doom combo.

Very Good Games Partisan
Again thank you and your parents for hosting us and driving from and to the bus terminal. Hope it wasn't to much of a burden/bother for them. When you get the chance to visit my place don't worry about food and whatnot, cause I'll cover that for you.

I was really impressed on how much you improved, and I am very glad too. LOL, franman saying you did not prove your a top player yet. No, Partisan you are a definitely top player. When SC5 does you, me, and the rest of the gang, have to travel and trash these americans(with love) and show them CANADA alway comes out on top. But seriously Partisan your defence, spacing, and punishment were top notch. You are so good now, that now I have to use B grabs. Now that might not seem impressive, but for me I usually go for CS or SS only, and even if the oppent can break them, if they can't block my lows then I am not too worried. But your defense is soild that for me to get damage I have to use that grab. So far Oof, Slient and you, have such a strong defence against me that I have to resort to B grab spam.

The way you played really open my eyes, and force me to think differently and change my style to reflect the situation. The style I have before is good, but to me it important to have different styles, so that you can change on the fly. I need to work on that more. But this was a very good training session.

Also you have the right attitude. You alway keep your cool and never get angry. Which is important to keep focused. There are other things like laughing at the weird physics in SC4(I also do this too), reminds us that this is only a game and keeps things enjoyable. This to me is also important because this help release stress.

We play a total of 83 matches that when up to 4am. I wanted to do a first to 100, but I had to stop at 50. At that time my thumb was in so much pain. Lol the whole day I buffering the throw on the dpad. Even after the next day when we played I couldn't do the throws as good as before. But whatever the next time my stamina will be better and we can do a first to 100 ha.

Vince as alway Good Games. I tried to use 214B less. Against Mistu, I wasn't really looking at blocking 2kb, mainly because I was just trying to focus on the Just Ukemi it. But I see that I can't simply do that, as it does not work all the time. And the times I did block it I did not punish it well. I going to work on my punishment game. Good talking about stuff in general. Also when you were talking about, player style that really got me thinking, and after playing partisan, I now see what areas I need to work on. I going to tried and strive that balance.

Boystyle_sk8ter, good games to you too. Thanks for making it all the way from montreal, glad we talked and played. You got a very strong Setsuka. Well if I host any gatherings and you don't mind going to Toronto let me know.

JJ436 good games to yo too. LoL "that the reason I play Ivy" I loved that, yes I love those throws too. Very good job at the last few match we had, you put up a good fight at thems.

GGS to Emlarr, Yes the flower game was very trippy.

GGS to Eli because he's AWESOME

Also I will destroy Amy, and make sure that she pay for her crimes against humanity!

Also *2 we were lucky enough to recored the BEST MATCH of the day. The Match was just an EXPLOSION OF EPICNESS.

jonathan-danieln-11.jpg

Eli:

You don't have to use CL 214B any less. I just feel bad you have to deal with my secondary character because of that one move, and not my primary. Although I can stand a better chance with Mitsu, you're unable to play my normal dominant self as I am with Sophi/Hwang (but...then again, I'm glad to learn a new character). Partisan is the only one among our 'top players' in SC4 right now that knows how I can consistently maintain control. Kind of funny how you mention stress relief, because there is no stress relief with me, it's just annoying, lol. Unless I'm dicking around and making fun of other forumers at the gathering. Hahaha, belittling ftw.

Damn, I'm good.

You're still supposed to be disappointed in me, Dino, because now instead I'm just saying...I need to use secondaries. lolol

LOL, franman saying you did not prove your a top player yet.
Um I never said that... I think you've mistaken Partisan for TidalLeaf. But if you're wondering, then yes I still think Partisan hasn't proven yet to be top player.

No, Partisan you are a definitely top player. When SC5 does you, me, and the rest of the gang, have to travel and trash these americans(with love) and show them CANADA alway comes out on top. But seriously Partisan your defence, spacing, and punishment were top notch. You are so good now, that now I have to use B grabs. Now that might not seem impressive, but for me I usually go for CS or SS only, and even if the oppent can break them, if they can't block my lows then I am not too worried. But your defense is soild that for me to get damage I have to use that grab. So far Oof, Slient and you, have such a strong defence against me that I have to resort to B grab spam.
Perhaps your way of defining a top player is different than the way I define it.

From my exp against him he has improved a lot and I'm pretty sure he will improve again if I face him now, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that Partisan has established himself as a top player. That's overpraising someone. In comparison to Thugish_Pond, Malek, OOFMATIC, Something_Unique etc. these ppl already established themselves as top players.

I hope you don't get the impression that I'm some evil tyrant who undermines new potential players; however, I do worry that if we overpraise newcomers who haven't been to or only been through little tournaments, then we give them the benefit of the doubt that there is no need to travel.

Ok shout out post time.

First off I would like to thank everybody who came down, it's good to see that people are still willing to travel to play SC! I really enjoyed hosting a larger turnout and look forward to doing it again in the future. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did, it was nice seeing you guys again (and nice meeting you for the first time Yanick :P )!

Soooo my attention is all over the place right now so I'll be updating my shout outs as the day(s) goes on.

But for now...GGs to all, long live Calibur in Canada!

Edit: I've been uploading some of the videos, you can find them here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SCPartisan

What happened to Chicago making a trip to Madison?

We ended up staying at Hawkeye's until mid-Friday and everyone pretty much went out Friday night. Me not getting any sleep wenesday didn't help things and I meant to ask if it was going to be more than a one day event, which would've led to us not being able to go anyway. Still, we were supposed to skip Thursday and just go to Madison, which is the main reason we didn't go.

Franman I get what your saying, but from seeing Partisan play and also speaking to him I defently think he is a very talented player. I have see him play Malek, and Partisan put up a very good fight. And when he played me at this gathering his approach was so different that I had to change my style to fight him. Partisan approach was thinking out side of the box. And I respect that and to be a top notch player sometime you have to have a different approach on things than doing what would be consider the norm.

And this is not over praise. I did not say he is worse or better than the players you listed. But I definitely think he has the skills to rival them.
Of course he has room to improve and other areas in his game to work on, but that goes for everyone. Also Partisan did a lot of work by him self to get to where he is. He does not have many people who play. So it difficult for him to train. But seeing him play the way he did I have to give him praise.

The thing is when you say someone who haven't proved themselves at this point in SC4 life time, it gives the impression that a new player will never be as good as the old one or that is no way/hope for a new player to be at the top.

If your definition of a Top player is only looking at Tournaments placing, that would be fine and you are right, but currently there are not that many tournaments going on. Just look in Toronto don't have any tournaments happening as of now. So then how can one prove that they'er a top player. US has some tournaments but the cost is a deterring factor. So to me gathering like this is an alternative, yes it not the same like a tournament, but I believe gathering like this is a good indication of where players stand in respect to others.

Beside Partisan does have the desire to travel, so why do I want to discuroage that by saying "Your good, but not that good"? I want to encourage him to get better, so in turn me and the rest of our Toronto community gets better. Then after that we can march over to the US and kick their asses.

As Junior once told me that "the new generation will alway better than the old" so lets move forward, instead of living in the past.

hey i want to thank everyone at the gathering for the fun I had :P
thanx u partisan for letting me stay the whole weekeend since I have to take 8 hours train, im very suprise how awsome u are while playing offline since I only play u online a little time, I had to use every trick I know to amy for trying to beat u but u still show me no mercy :(
anyway it make me want to get better after fighting with u :P. I want to be able to beat u one day(with other character beside amy lol)

eli I glab we play, cuz I had never play against a good ivy player offline, so it was really fun :P, u still rape my setsuka pretty bad after my first win lol

and emily, even tought we didn't play much, u still beat me at every match we had play, very good xian u have!

oh and vincent, u r very good like partisan and like to know everything in the game :p

as for jj, I play with u a lot. u seem to have a lot of trick even though u just start play the game, but I think u will be better than me since u can still beat me even I have play the game longser than u :) oh and im glad I make u realize the inner tira in you XD keep pratice with her and im sure ur be as good to play her. and we gonna bring tira allllllllll the way to top tier!!! XD

Junior was wrong. The new isn't always better than the old, so long as they stay in the game. For example: I will beat Partisan, Mick will beat S-U, Big Boss will beat Solid Snake, Bruce Wayne will beat Terry McGinnis, Chaos1x will use Algol, etc. etc.

Oh yeah...

Yan: u da man. Thanks for coming out.

JJ: u got a lot better. I foresee myself having to use X if you keep improving with Taki.

Partisan: u also da man. Ur better than me, I just use gameshark.

Hehe, Yan I'm glad that you made me realize that it is a good idea to side step Setsuka's unblockable, LOL!!!! Took me a few tries but I got it! :D
I've been into Soul Calibur 4 for a little while I'm just new to the whole multiplayer experience. Pastisan and Vincent helped me out and got me going but I think most of the learning is by applying those skills on your own, am I wrong? You have a really good knowledge of all the characters and I'm glad that you were able to show me a thing or two with Taki. I think your Setsuka is better than my Taki though. I cant remember if I beat her. Maybe next time we will do a first to 83 like Partasin and Elis just to keep track. It is too bad that we cannot spar together since I'm a farm boy and all. My internet cant handle anything online without lag. But that may be what builds a strong Soul Calibur community. Yes online lags but hey thats why everyone should go to Troy's House! lol

I still cant beat those other guys/girl but Tira will haha. Until next time all.

Also Elis, thanks for making me realize that I should REALLY learn grapple breaking ^_^

Franman I get what your saying, but from seeing Partisan play and also speaking to him I defently think he is a very talented player. I have see him play Malek, and Partisan put up a very good fight. And when he played me at this gathering his approach was so different that I had to change my style to fight him. Partisan approach was thinking out side of the box. And I respect that and to be a top notch player sometime you have to have a different approach on things than doing what would be consider the norm.
I've also seen how he drastically changes from my exp as well but I tend to hold my opinion on that matter.
And this is not over praise. I did not say he is worse or better than the players you listed. But I definitely think he has the skills to rival them.
In regards to Malek, even if Partisan does beat him or put a good fight it doesn't really hold out on anything other than the fact that he did good on that day. When I fought against OOF back in SC3 in a FT5 against his Talim it was an intense match and I almost had OOF and he was considered one of the best Talim players back in the SC3 era. TearsofLove beats Enkindu on that day using Cervantes and he was placed in the top 5. One day isn't enough to justify the outcome of the player overall other than the fact he/she did good on that day.

Question is if you're here on that day would you say the same just because these individuals including myself were to put up a good fight against a top player on that day?

Although I did say in comparison to these examples of top players, I didn't really accuse you of saying that Partisan is better or worse than them. When you say he's a top player, it sounds as though he's already up there with the pros ON THEIR LEVEL, which the sentence I've bold on indicates.

Again this goes back to that first piece of your quote I've responded to.
Of course he has room to improve and other areas in his game to work on, but that goes for everyone. Also Partisan did a lot of work by him self to get to where he is. He does not have many people who play. So it difficult for him to train. But seeing him play the way he did I have to give him praise.

The thing is when you say someone who haven't proved themselves at this point in SC4 life time, it gives the impression that a new player will never be as good as the old one or that is no way/hope for a new player to be at the top.
I can praise Partisan for that sure but saying he has the skills to rival them that to me sounds like an overpraise. I mean sure everyone has other areas to improve on including Partisan himself, but I think it's worth considering that there are individuals who have a longer road ahead of themselves than others.

My point was that you can't really judge the outcome of a player.

If your definition of a Top player is only looking at Tournaments placing, that would be fine and you are right,
Yes my definition has always revolve around that, but it goes deeper than what you think my definition of it is on the surface.

but currently there are not that many tournaments going on. Just look in Toronto don't have any tournaments happening as of now. So then how can one prove that they'er a top player. US has some tournaments but the cost is a deterring factor.
Well then that's unfortunate. Looks like we have to wait till SC5 comes out and see just how good Partisan has actually become.

So to me gathering like this is an alternative, yes it not the same like a tournament, but I believe gathering like this is a good indication of where players stand in respect to others.
I don't see it that way... gatherings are practice for the tourney. To me it's like studying for a test. Gathering is a form of study and the tournament is the test. Just like studying gatherings doesn't always guarantee a pass or a good placing. Failing a test or tournament doesn't mean much other than focusing on areas you realize you're weak against. At first you don't succeed then try again.

Let's look at Shinji's case scenario, when he fought RTD in casuals I think it was FT3's or maybe FT5's, he beat RTD on that day and assumed that he's already up there with Thugish_Pond.

Beside Partisan does have the desire to travel, so why do I want to discourage that by saying "Your good, but not that good"? I want to encourage him to get better, so in turn me and the rest of our Toronto community gets better. Then after that we can march over to the US and kick their asses.
Of course I want to encourage him but of course I wouldn't say such an oxymoron statement. If I were to word it different I would rather say he has potential.

As Junior once told me that "the new generation will alway better than the old" so lets move forward, instead of living in the past.
Well as Rocky Balboa says to his son, the world ain't sunshine and rainbows. Just because you see someone you think is good doesn't mean the outcome will end in that person's favour. Developing such pretty logic around that wouldn't really work as reality maybe a bitch to handle.

Also Rocky says It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit. Can Partisan pick up where he left off? Can he put more dedication and time into Soul Calibur? Also consider what I said in the Toronto forums how Amaury is the most dedicated among us not to mention he sacrifice things that we couldn't sacrifice (like our education).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back