Maxi Match-up Discussion

i swear ive checked it before. b+k had deceivingly long range. ill check.again when i get home.

edit: Confirmed. B+K does indeed have more range than 3b and is 1 frame faster. They also have same disadvantage on block, but b+k does more gauge damage. It also beats out Asta 66K BE because it multi-hits

Been playing around with 2B. I actually do really like it. Its a nice poke with decent options afterwards. Not so sure how it really changes the match-up with Asta though, since the main issue against Asta is getting in, and 2Bs range isn't amazing.

Have any of you played the Maxi vs Ivy matchup? I played against an Ivy player online and that bitch can 3B in some nasty places to avoid some of Maxi's best loops. 4BB? She can do 3B after blocking 4B and totally avoid the second B and CH you for nasty damage. 1BA? She TCs the A and the 3B apparently tracks the side that Maxi spins to when doing RO A because she once again CH you for nasty damage.

With the 1B series it's not so bad because you have other good options:
1B stop
1BB
1B autoGI if you really wanna be bold

With 4B series it's tough. I gotta go test this more but if her 3B is like Viola's where it hits the sides then that means 4B,A won't work. 4B,K ... not sure if the K is fast enough but I guess it's worth a shot.

So just remember: If you're playing an Ivy who knows the matchup well, try not to mindlessly toss out the 4BBs and 1BAs.

After testing, 3b after 4B loses to LO A, but it does not land CH for the LO AK combo :( . Your other two options would be 4B~WL or 4B PSL2 LI B. Also, at certain ranges, you can do 4B PSL2 x2 BL BB/KK/K (BE). So you can at least discourage the use of 3B after 4B, but its probably still not a great idea to rely on it as much. More 2B i guess. I need to play more good Ivys, I probably have the least experience against her.

Ivy using 3B after 1B seems extremely inconsistent for her. Half the time RO A seems to sidestep around her 3B so she gets hit by the followup K .

Seems like you also can PSL2 into neutral guard, and just attack her if you saw her doing 3B. This doesn't work at close range.

The best option seems to be 4B, LO A.

After more testing against the same Ivy player, 4B,A does indeed kill the 3B threat. Also with 1B if she does 3B after 1B you have time to not only stop, but step to your right...avoid her 3B and punish with your own 3B or my favorite if you have meter, 6A+B BE into LIA BE. Still does a nasty chunk of damage for an i16 starter. After a bit of that, he only tried that 3B about 10% of the time after blocking 3B/4B.

Woah, I never realized how great 4BB is against Asta! I've been using it against him today, and it seems to be the "Anti-Asta" move. It also beats out his bull rush BE, letting the first 2 hits of 4BB connect, and the following K guaranteed (from what I've seen so far)

4BB is good against everyone. Its one of his best moves. 4BBK is only ever guaranteed after a stun though, and in those cases, there are better things you can do.

Well if you're hitting Asta during the bull rush BE then it would be a stun. What other moves would be better in that situation?

If you land that stun, it would be better to do RC AB (BE) LI A. The kick follow-up should only really be used as either a RO/W!, or as an option after 4BB is blocked if you think the opponent is gonna try to punish LO B.

I'm having a bit of trouble against xiba, more specifically one damn move when u knock him down hes able to do that twirly attack from the ground...now I know u can block it but i wanna punish it. What i usually do is 44k to 3aaa but 3aaa pushes him back and he just does the stick thing again so what is a reliable shut down approach to that? I know i should put a little effort on learning the match up but too lazy...

I'm having a bit of trouble against xiba, more specifically one damn move when u knock him down hes able to do that twirly attack from the ground...now I know u can block it but i wanna punish it. What i usually do is 44k to 3aaa but 3aaa pushes him back and he just does the stick thing again so what is a reliable shut down approach to that? I know i should put a little effort on learning the match up but too lazy...

Then maybe we are to lazy to reply to your question. Never admit laziness. EVER!

I will usually just do FC 3AA and not all 3, into my favorite RO move to keep pressure on. But you are correct if you do all 3 of the A's it pushes back to far.

OR

WS B+K~BL mix ups

Either 66B while he does it, block and 66B him after, or JG and taunt.

I have a lot of difficulty when VS Nightmare, Sieg and Natsu
Is there any hint against them?

Should I need to practise to JG Natsu's 4A+B (Bomb) ?

Against NM, you should know that if he ever goes into stance he is asking for a 6A+B to the face
33_99B is unsafe, so is the BE so 6A+B him too.
4KK, 4K BE 2nd hit is a high, so 6A+B that or duck 2nd hit into ws B+K
NM against Maxi can't go into stances, so as Maxi it'll be up to basics against zoning

What whirow said..6a+b shuts down nightmare the only problem is someone with good spacing, then it becomes a problem getting in. I believe that sieg is actually a harder matchup for maxi than nightmare. Seig is way harder to get in imo watch out for b6, 3b can easily be sidestepped but once you're in 6a+b all day. Just watch out for 66k be, 3kk, 4b on counter, and sometimes 4kk other than that sidestep and punish. As far as natsu don't backstep I eat a lot of damage backsteping natsu in fact i think she up there as one of the best punishers for backstep (the best being algol, and maxi is pretty good at stopping backstep too). I think natsu is one of those characters that you just learn to counter in training mode, for me its a reaction game with natsu how fast can i react to her and punish accordingly.

You definitely want to be using 6A+B and 6A+B BE against Nightmare. It takes away most of his stance game and also TC a lot of his horizontal high attacks. The more Nightmare rushes Maxi the potentially easier the matchup becomes.

I've also found that 6A+B to be effective against Natsu. A few of her basic strings can be interrupted by 6A+B (the last K in K,K,K for instance), as can many of her stance transitions. You just have to always be ready to defend against here 4A+B bomb. Also, beware of a 4A+B after being knocked down. I've found it's often better to stay grounded against most Natsu players because many will use 4A+B immediately after knocking you down. It's better to eat the bomb than the bomb/grab combo.

I still have problem with Siegfried, so I can't help much.

6A+B is alright against Night side stance (Can even be avoided here sometimes), but not against Grim Stride (NM players always throw out GS A which GI's verticals, 6A+B included). Stance punishment is a lot more nuanced than that. Certainly more than I want to explain right now, but generally you'll want to use WR A and 44A to counter GS, and 6A+B to counter NSS. What's more important than stance counters is spacing... don't let him.

Get in, spam quick moves mixed with a lot of throws and long range moves (even at close range, don't let him walk away). Defensively you need to duck and back dash as little as possible and be completely aware of his RO options.

As for Natsu... idk... still don't have anything other than basic anti-Natsu, sorry.

Back