Maxi Post Patch Discussion

@Jaggypoo
The damage decrease is supposed to be significant or else that would've been pointless. Let's be honest thou, his damage pre patch was pretty massive. It's still good it seems but not 'oh shit' good I guess

6A+B on block pushback is a good thing. It means that opponent doesn't give a free mixup!

Didn't notice pushback on 4B or you're strictly talking about frame adv/disadv?

@Hotnippelz.

Yeah, damage was to much especially LIA.

I only have a feeling that 6A+B pushback is bigger, but it shouldn´t be right i guess.

No, i was talking about pushback of 4b after it hits.

Does anyone else feel that FC3AAA is changed as well. Maybe its me but it seems to push back....like a lot!! Specially on grounded

Gonna check that.

Maybe it's because listening to Paul Simon puts me in a good mood, but I honestly still feel like Maxi is good after this patch. His best tools didn't suffer that much, 66A got a buff (IMO), his damage is still good and though it's really too early to tell for sure, if I had to guess I think the backdash nerf will help him. My only fear is that certain characters getting buffed may have thrown the balance out of whack. Good thing this probably won't be the only patch. I just hope Namco haven't started down the same road NRS traveled with MK9. :/

I agree. I'm content with post patch Maxi. 66A and 66B both create more preferable situations, the damage changes were reasonable, and the back step nerf is fan-fucking-tastic.

Neutral Guard (It's his stance aGI, Dragon) not stunning is a bummer, but I clearly remember Wavering Light so it's still awesome in my book.

just a few random things:

-RC A is unchanged, not unsafe.

-4B only seems to push out when performed at minimum distance; long range 4B>LO B combos still work.

-66B doesnt seem that much more unsafe; WL and LI B still avoid tons of punishment attempts.

-after 6A+B BE and RC AB BE, LI A cannot be stepped, so doing those moves forces the old LI mixup situation.

-the CH 6A>RO AK W!, 1B>RO AK W!, 4Betc wall combo seems more finicky now, i think due to the spin stun on CH 6A knocking them into the wall back-turned when you follow up with RO AK, causing them to bounce away from the wall and not get re-W!'d by the 1BAK. didn't test on all characters yet though. the full combo (CH 6A>RO AK W!, 1B>RO AK W!, 4B>LO B>RC AB BE>LI A BE) still does 140ish.

-after 6A+B BE and RC AB BE, LI A cannot be stepped, so doing those moves forces the old LI mixup situation.
Really? Is that on hit or also on guard?

Does anyone else feel that FC3AAA is changed as well. Maybe its me but it seems to push back....like a lot!! Specially on grounded

I also noticed this. Seems like a necessary change since those tiny little slivers of damage were so important to Maxi's game.

LI A is unsteppable after 6A+B BE. Not really that useful, but hey, it's something. Some other stuff:

-22A, PSL 2 is mostly safe against people that try to sidestep and then attack
-22A, auto transition, B+K will impact mids if they try to step and attack, and auto transition, LO K will TC highs if they try to do one after a step (Both of these also work against 8WR style attacks like Pyrrha Omega's 22_88B)
-If they try to step and attack right after 22A, LI B has a pretty good chance of hitting them (Works on 8WR moves too). If they step and block, they'll block it.
-Most of the above options also work with 6B4G (Except they can always step LI B, I think), but 22A is a much better move, especially now.
-After 6B4G on hit, LI A is still unsteppable

I've only tested this stuff briefly against three characters, so it could all be wrong for all I know. Overall, I think Maxi got nerfed a tad bit too hard, but he's definitely still competitive. The two biggest nerfs are his auto-gi doing no damage and RC AB being unsafe now.

EDIT: Lol, maybe I shouldn't take too long to post next time. Got beaten to posting about 6A+B BE.

Ok post patch thoughts so far
4B hasn't seem to change at all

6A+B pushes back slightly more, nothing too substantial

66A is buffed imo. Less adv on hit, but +7 makes all sortsa things uninterruptable, the stagger is consistent on block, small

66B recovers 1 frame slower, meaning Pyrrha can stab me with 236B before WL comes out (it used to be equal to LI B) where i can autoGI the stab. I like that it keeps u very deep near the opponent. LI B is more viable vs counter attacks

6A spin on CH keeps opp deep, buff :)

FC 3A has changed slightly. FC 3A on ground hit you can only land 1 hit then u're out of range. However vs standing it doesn't stagger anymore on hit, i.e landing FC 3AAA will keep them at the same distance, so if u were closish, RO attacks won't whiff due to pushout. Nice buff :D very subtle.

Successful autoGI leads to uninterruptable mixups like run in and throw, run in and 66B+K etc. Similar to 6A+B on hit :)
Clean hits are very hard to come by unfortunately. I am feeling the dmg reduction....i feel like it's fair though
All in all, not too shabby

Back step to G took a HEAVY hit, the delay to G seems HUGE

ps I can punish greeks stabs with 4BB now forcing them to block the K, woohoo.

Did a fair amount of player matches today and overall I am not to worried about the damage nerfs seeing as how everyones back dash has been made unsafe. Overall I think it makes his hard match ups easier and his dominant match ups harder wich overall makes him alot more fun to play I hate playing 7-3 MU's they make me feel dirty. Project soul really nailed it on a side note astaroth feels REALLY good day 1 post patch.

They did something to LI K to. Seems A+Bg has its limits after a blocked one now
Examples? A+Bg wasn't uninterruptible after a blocked LI K pre-patch either, if I recall. There just aren't many moves that could interrupt it.

Played some Maxi to test out the damages and he really only loses like 5-10 dmg on most of his big combos, although there is now a lot less chance of clean hits to bump up the damage as well.

Overall, even though his nerf list was extensive, I think it was very fair. He's still a beast, but now opponents can't complain about getting beaten by him as much.

I think they increased the pushback on RC B and 9B on block. I couldn't easily get them to block LO B after them. Could anybody confirm?

I don't like 66B not pushing back. You are prone to lows easily or fast body attacks (which are not as strong as mids).

HotNikkels:
So, if Greeks block 66B, they get a free 236B? Can't you use LI B?

Fhwoarang, any chance you are making any vids of our session? I wish I could have saved some replays, but I played like 75 matches today and like 25 of them after you left, so I don't think I have any of our matches in my replay history. Those were GGs. Especially the one where I got the perfect wall combo on you. :D

No, I think the nerf isn't that hard. Just makes Maxi less easy. He, he, he!!!

Well, I have our matches; in fact, I liked them all... he, he, he. I tried to upload one of them, but the quality was very shitty. Can I fix that?

The wall tastes really good. You should taste it as well. =)

No ur best resulution is gonna be 380.

Examples? A+Bg wasn't uninterruptible after a blocked LI K pre-patch either, if I recall. There just aren't many moves that could interrupt it.

I was getting
2A'd out of a blocked LI K. 1st time i thought i was just late. But it happened quite a few times.

Im convinced theres quite a few more changes than we were told

I think they increased the pushback on RC B and 9B on block. I couldn't easily get them to block LO B after them. Could anybody confirm?

I don't like 66B not pushing back. You are prone to lows easily or fast body attacks (which are not as strong as mids).

HotNikkels:
So, if Greeks block 66B, they get a free 236B? Can't you use LI B?

There aren't too many fast body attacks from crouching, and I'm pretty sure most can be LI B'd anyway. Similar to lows, there aren't much FC lows outside of FC K which is hardly a punisher anyway :)

You can LI B the 236B retaliation of course, was just pointing out the new blockstun

Well if 3 combos don't kill... do 1 more lol XD

I actually like this aGI, the fear of tech trap can grant ideas~

6A is pretty much still the same considering how we use it, it just looks prettier with that spin and it catches back step a lot better with the back step nerf
Good to hear LI A is still step deterrence for LI though now vert aGIs can catch it(?)

There aren't too many fast body attacks from crouching, and I'm pretty sure most can be LI B'd anyway. Similar to lows, there aren't much FC lows outside of FC K which is hardly a punisher anyway :)

Dude, could you test the 9B or RC B thing? I just don't remember how the pushback was for that move? =P

Patch wasn't tooooo bad. The WL nerf hurts the most I guess. And the throw damage reduction kinda stings but overall not too caustic.

Back