Maxi Video Thread

Thanx Twiggy. maybe not the best maxi's anyone has ever seen, but entertaining non the less. Im just so proud of my boy being able to GI & re-GI like a pro. Hes even shaking stuns now (better than me as you will see). I just like to show him off

HRD

Your son is gonna have Maxi etched into his brain :D I see him being the best Maxi one day. Iv'e got a few pointers though, some better move options. Li b 2b+k is guaranteed. I did'nt see any 1b, it's one of his best fast moves. Some more poke & guard hit checks improves any Maxis game.

Firstly let me say wow. You guys put on a great show; it really is a pleasure to watch. You 2 clearly know maxi in and out and back to front, its fantastic your boy at only 10 can play at such an impressive level.

I was just making notes as I was watching so ill put them up, mostly they are just little things that I would do instead, or just comments about play style.

Starting with HRD

you are using kicks and pokes a lot better than before, 3K K and 1K are good kick pokes, you could use a few more 1Bs and a few more 33Ks but on the whole its a nice improvement there.

It’s also great to see your GI skills have improved as well. ROA[K] was GI'd very consistently the 1 thing that I did notice however is that after GI you tended to go for 4_6K, however LilHRD seems to know this and regularly re-GI'd or ducked it for a throw attempt. Try to mix it up with a delay 4[A+B] for example or attempt a throw yourself.

I really liked your use of WRA in several places, and also I saw you use 6A+Bg after blocking a BLB, very tasty.

Your use of 4_6K for wall splats / Ring outs is also nice, but remember it’s high and not massively fast. You were throwing out some reckless highs especially with lilHRDs duck reflexes. I think in one round you ate a back throw after a LOK attempt and in the same round you also too a WRA to the face after a poorly placed BLKK. You gotta watch that against him.

im not quite sure how you manage this but you scored a BTB+K off CH3A BLA LIK B+KBBBA non just O.o I thought it still had to be a just to hit the BTB+K but lucky you.

I lol'd when you got bounced out of the ring over the fence with a well placed ROK.

Over all much improved and great to watch, just watch out for those things I mentioned.

NOW

Lil HRD

I am truly amazed at your level of play. Very impressive and well done on taking down the old man, I have a couple of pointers for you also.

I noticed that after a ROK[K] you (and your dad) go for a 4B LOK, this is ACable, my personal preference is to go for ROK[K] 66B+K it’s a combo and does good damage.

Your GIing skills are brilliant, you have to watch those wiffed ones but on the whole its amazing, you GI 33bA on reaction nearly every time your dad throws it out. That’s some seriously impressive reflexes. Same goes for your ducking. I the 2 or third fight you ducked his LOK and back threw him for the win, which was very nice lil man. Keep up the ducking and punishing, you ducked a good amount of ROA, LOK, BLKK and 4_6K and punished well after most.

Your dad seems to be able to GI LI very constantly, I only saw you mix it up a couple of times. My personal preference is to just cancel in to RO (you did this once and nailed him with ROB, good move try ROK[K] too for more mix ups) also you could cancel to LI and go for another LI (good for a free throw attempt)

I noticed you missed an opportunity to finish your old man off in one round that probably cost you that match, if you hit someone with a 4[A+B] then follow up with 33bA RCA then mix up (I normally do either 236A_236K or 44B) that is the best you can do from that I think you attempted to follow with 6A ROA which left you in a bad position.

You are using WL a lot and doing it well. Baiting your dad in to using attacks you can GI with it. It was nice off of the 33B you did. Try also doing it from 6A+B seems to catch a lot of people. You also pull off a lovely CH33B PSL3 LOK did you hit confirm it or just go for broke.

I noticed you were trying 44AB a bit but you kept getting punished with WRA, try to fake him out with just 44A or if you think you have the range use PSL1 to move back in to RC and RCA to catch him.

Also after a W! Try 4B LOBK 2B+KB (best for a side splat like you had. for a head on try 3B ROK[K] 66B+K

Overall you have improved more than your dad. You have become very familiar with maxi and you know when to duck and impact very very well and your reGIing is great too. well done for sticking it to the old man and keep up that ground stomping on overkill (that’s my fave to do) lol

---------------------------------

The last 3 rounds you played were so tense and so exciting, some of the best stuff I seen in a while to be honest. You had throws, throw brakes, GIs, reGI's, loops, pokes, Ring outs and corner games. Seriously I haven’t enjoyed watching a fight that much ever.

Thank you both, I hope to see more of that. Well done to HRD, and super well done to LilHRD the kid has some brilliant skills and I can see him being a player of a very high calibur in the future.

Twiggy..First let me thank you for your input and comments. They meant a lot...to both of us.

Kicks are one of my new changes. I still need to put 33K to use more, Cause I seldom use it.

I thought I found myself going to 1K post GI. Not that I have a good reason for that, Its just there are some things in my brain that are harder to program than others. On top of that I have been told by numerous people, numerous times that WR B is BAD BAD BAD. So what is it my brain does? GI, 1K, WR B (insert cleaver LI mix up here). I should at least get throws programed in there.

LiL HRD's ducking and GI skills are fairly new. My normal online bullshit setups no longer work on him. Theres not much ducking and GI stuff online. Consistantly anyway. I like 4_6 K's are for the most part gambles for the RO or space advantage, 6A+B I think is gauranteed post GI. Im gonna work on that for shizzle.

My miraculous CH3A, BL A, LI K, B+KBBBA, BT B+K landing I have landed on more times than you think. I find it MIGHT work if you are tip range and the opp is close to a wall. The settings have to be perfect and it is more luck than anything.

That lucky ass landing of that RO K that rung me out, Haunts me still. That was straight shinanigans!!

Thanx for the tips, I will work on them hard!!

As for LiL HRD's comments....

I found this 4B LO K, theing when Uber1337 came to the house and wrecked my life. I kept eating that shit over and over to the point my brain shut down!! lil HRD and I will use it after ROK[K], CH3B RO A, and other strings that pop ur opp in the air. Ur right its totally AC'able And I was eating a throw after LiL HRD ducks the LO K. But it sure as hell looks good when you land it. But ur tip is better!

Im suprised at how little his LI mix game was. He usually will cancel for another LI B or go into RO. He usually NEVER tries to hit without canceling into something else cause He knows I will GI that LI [B}. That is a game he knows better than what was portrayed.

He and I both play on the controller, using the analog stick. Doing 33bA RCA after CH 33B, is something I cant even do. His usual staple follow up used to be 236 A, But I warned him that if he doesnt get the "trip" while doing 236 A, I can punish him badley. So he stopped doing it. 44B sounds like a do able follow up, cant a 66B+K be thrown in there to?

CH33B PSL3, LO K is a staple move of both of ours, He hit checks that, with no issue. I taught him that one. But because of the seldom hit of the CH33B, you will hardley ever see it.

All in all our games are always tense and very exciting. Im so proud of him! You all heard it here. 5 or 6 years from now when you see all these tourneys for soul calibur 9, and LiL HRD is on top, you all can say you knew him from way back when.

Thanx Twiggy for all your thoughts. I will take careful consideration for the next set of vids.

I still would like comments from others, anything that could be improved that you can shoot at us would be greatly apprciated!!

HRD

ur right...regardless, I cant do it after either 4[A+B] or CH33B. The double tap 33 seems to be impossible on the analog stick!!

HRD

Only douches do that combo anyway.

On to the videos... Can't really add anything I don't think. Play was goot.

One thing I've never really understood, why are LI cancels so loved? Stuff like 2A shuts down everything that can possibly come out. It shouldn't be GI bait at all etc. It may be a nice transition to RO and all, but since that can all be shut down so easily, I've never seen much merit in messing with it much.

LHRD was missing damage in round 8. 2 or 3 missed 2B+K,B opportunities when he grounded you.

Regarding LI B cancel i think 5:31 in this video explains why I think it has merit sometimes, but used sparringly. I did it once in my match with him and I was fishing for a wallsplat (it should have happened ).

i had a few recent videos recorded of me playing against sorrybaskets over at krayzieCD's, but i gues the video was corrupted. i'll try to get some other videos recorded when i go over there next time. Theres a couple that I posted a few months back against Hajime, i dunno if you saw those. Those are kinda outdated though, I play a bit differently now..

Hey Uber, I hope you go over there again and record some new vids!

Did JTO have any experience against Maxi? It is very sad that there's no video of these matches since Maxi tourney players are so few.

Hey Uber, I hope you go over there again and record some new vids!

Yeah me too! Miss you coming over Uberleet, you left me to fend off cheap ass Yoshi and Voldo all by my lonesome. Plus you need to come by so we can get some Maxi practice in on SC2 and SC3, since I'm using him in those games at FSAK.

HRD, I checked out those vids of you and your kid....nice stuff man. Your kid reminds me of Linkrkc's brothers when they were young and playing this game. By the time they reached age 15, they were killing grown ass men in this game, I foresee the same thing happening with him when he grows up a bit. I could tell you were taking it easy on him in the later games, but I did like his adaptation, especially when he started to duck your highs and use WS A against you. His GIing skills were impressive also, he seems to know the Maxi mirror really well. If he got experience against the rest of the cast like that, he would do well. As for you HRD, I know you were taking it easy on your kid so I don't know if you were punishing as well as you would if you were playing one of us, but I notice you letting him get away with 66A without ducking the second hit and punishing. I wish I could have seen your matches against Uber1337 so I could see how you truly play in the Maxi mirror. When me and Uber play Maxi mirrors, you see so much WS A because that move kills a lot of options in a bunch of Maxi's stances. Maybe next time he comes by we'll record some Maxi mirrors and post them up. He's a much more technical and executional Maxi player than I am, I get by on some gimmicks here and there but it always ends up close between us.

Anyway, nice matches again, thanks for posting them!

Yeah me too! Miss you coming over Uberleet, you left me to fend off cheap ass Yoshi and Voldo all by my lonesome. Plus you need to come by so we can get some Maxi practice in on SC2 and SC3, since I'm using him in those games at FSAK.

HRD, I checked out those vids of you and your kid....nice stuff man. Your kid reminds me of Linkrkc's brothers when they were young and playing this game. By the time they reached age 15, they were killing grown ass men in this game, I foresee the same thing happening with him when he grows up a bit. I could tell you were taking it easy on him in the later games, but I did like his adaptation, especially when he started to duck your highs and use WS A against you. His GIing skills were impressive also, he seems to know the Maxi mirror really well. If he got experience against the rest of the cast like that, he would do well. As for you HRD, I know you were taking it easy on your kid so I don't know if you were punishing as well as you would if you were playing one of us, but I notice you letting him get away with 66A without ducking the second hit and punishing. I wish I could have seen your matches against Uber1337 so I could see how you truly play in the Maxi mirror. When me and Uber play Maxi mirrors, you see so much WS A because that move kills a lot of options in a bunch of Maxi's stances. Maybe next time he comes by we'll record some Maxi mirrors and post them up. He's a much more technical and executional Maxi player than I am, I get by on some gimmicks here and there but it always ends up close between us.

Anyway, nice matches again, thanks for posting them!

Thanx for the tips, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that!!

I dont take it all that easy on LHRD. cause if I do he'll kick my ass. But its not like Im letting him win either. Hes so good for his age, Im so proud. He'll be at some tourneys in the next few years (if there are any still going on) so watch out...lol

Uber1337 is on a different level all together. I was being punsih by so much WS A & B+K BBBA that my brain just shut down after 60 matches or so. I have no offline competition here is San Diego anymore except for my son and one of my friends that plays a really cheesy mits that I will mostly pick up bad habits from. So when Uber came, I wasnt prepared for his level of play. Thought I would at least be some competition (didnt think I would run the score board) but at least give him some good matches. He got me all stoned and shit so I could even see straight..lol. So let that be a lesson people. Dont do drugs while driving OR playing soul calibur. Uber is just plain maxi god. Im insainly jealous. The next time Uber or you Krazy come down to san diego, we need to get some chucks flying at each other.

HRD

Here Maxi peeps is one of the best Maxi's on video iv'e seen:
He does things correctly but also has wicked opposition. The koreans playing in the uploaders videos have crazy skills!

Regarding LI B cancel.

Did anyone else see, what i just saw FUCKING SAW because you cant do that shit with SC4Maxi... Do i have a defective CD because that shits impossible....3:40 to 3:46.... LI B cancel into .......RO, A,K... without a full charge LI B... WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING, IS THERE A PATCH IM MISSING.
SOME HELP ME OUT HERE its like 4:am i must be seeing shit.

HDR:
I watched your matches and I liked what I saw. Your kid is great for his age; sometimes feels like the blue Maxi is you as well. You have the same style.

I was reading the others' comments and I don't think I could contribute with something more meaningful, but here is a list of things I noticed after watching your vids.

• He usually starts the match with 66A and you never duck the second hit on block, nor he does.
  • You can GI the second hit of 44AB. Pay attention to it.
  • I liked the way he was using WL after a blocked 33B from far distance, except that he still does it at close distance.
  • He must stop doing 4B, LO K as juggle; altought it worked for you several times, he needs to learn to avoid it.
  • You became predictable with LO K and he punished you a lot.
  • I liked the way you landed 4B, LO K as juggle on the 4th. match, second round, as there was no way to avoid it. Besides, I like your 4B into LI juggle/set up.
    [*]As already mentioned, if you can't get BL KK after LI B, try with 2B+KB.
    [*]You both most of the time do full charged LI and you always GI each other. Cancel it MORE. You were using it correctly on the 3rd. match.
    [*]You both need a better whiff punisher, like 4BBK, instead a+bG or throw.
    [*]Several times you do PSL4_5 after landing 3B, RO A, losing all your advantage in BL. Maybe this has an obscure purpose. =)
    [*]Sometimes you landed CH 6A, but didn't go on with the guaranteed RO A, even when distance allowed it.
    [*]I rarely saw delayed K in RO AK. You both usually do undelayed or completely delayed.
    [*]After blocking WS B or BL A, you both just stay there waiting for the LI B to come out. Do 2A or something. Your kid landed on you 3B a few times during your LI B.
    [*]He needs to learn 3A stuns properly; and try to incorporate 3aG, it's great as well.
    [*]You need to completely lose your fear to 4[A+B] when you are in the ground. =P
    [*]You both need to improve your post-GI options, you guys usually do 6K or throw or 6A. Your son did 6A+B to RO you; try it more. Also use 4BBK or a+bG or even B+KBBBA.
    [*]Don't always try to GI when he lands 6A on you on normal hit. He knew you were GIing and he was linding constantly RO K[K].
    [*]You let him win on the 7th. fight. =D
    [*]He made CH 6BBB when you were clearly crouched. I don't know if he doesn't know about that move whiffing on such conditions or he just forgot it.
    [*]Do a combo (or at least wake ups) after landing 6A+B; you were doing nothing, but wait for him to wake up. He does BL KK, but the second kick makes him lose momentum
    [*]When you block his 44AB, you always land WS A, yet he always unsuccesfully does RO A.
    [*]1K doesn't give any frame advantage on hit, just on CH. Don't fear to attack after being with it.
    [*]Don't punish with a throw when you have a free hit (at least, not frecuently). You did it when you ducked his LO BK (you got a side throw once; that was nice =D )
    [*]BL KK is hit confirmable. Don't do both kick automatically.
    [*]Try sometimes to go to neutral after RO A hits. For instance, 3B, RO A, and then throw. I love to side step after RO A hits, specially at close distance, when you get a side throw.

Sorry if I took too long, but at least I tried to be a good observant and give you a good insight.

My veredict is that you both need a little discipline; like they already said, learn to hit confirm, learn the right combo, learn the right follow up.

Overall, very good, intense matches.

I hope you can upload more matches and see how much you have progressed.

There are a few things I have been wondering that I havent put time into yet.

How come Lil HRD can knock me out of LI with 3B and I cant?
How come when I try to Punish RO A with 6A+B I get hit. And sometimes I dont. Prolly cause the tech crouch in 6A+B is very short.
There has to be some range type factor that allows my 4B LO K juggle to be unavoidable and at longe sidtances it can be AC'D. I find the closer you are the better chance you have at it being unavoidable.

LiL HRD and I have taken a break but here in the last few days we have been goofing around again. He know the Maxi mirror like the back of his hand. So I have been playing so Kilik, Cass, and Voldo against him so he can get familiar with the rest of the cast. His GI relfexes and throw breaking skills are still fan-fuckin-tastic against those guys. So we have some ideas on what the next vid will contain, might put it up in the next few weeks!!

Thanx Fwhorang for your thoughts. I have played Maxi for so long that I dont feel Im gonna get much better with him. Which is disapointing cause Im still not that great compared to some. So Ive focused my attention to Kilik for the moment. But Maxi will always be my main!!

HRD

Mainly looks like the online honor code bit you in the ass. You were eating a lotta slow lows. 22K, I'd kinda forgotten about how good that is against H's. Honorline, it doesn't get used much.

Other than that, have something slowish or a throw in mind after a blocked RC K. If someone likes to GI the follow up K, you can get away with something there.

33B -> PSL3-> LOK is good damage and a RO threat. BL KK isn't that good of a follow up. (Though I'm guessing that was input error.)

Back