My Favorite Final Fantasy Game...

Jaxel

Administrator
Most people say I am crazy, but I've stated for a long time that Final Fantasy VIII is by far my favorite game in the series; maybe not the BEST, but definately my FAVORITE. I loved it so much that I own an unopened copy of the game. FF8 has the largest cult following of all the FF games, because the following for it is so small that it can only be called cultish.

When people ask me why I like it so much, I tell them that for myself... I can get through mediocre gameplay, if the story is that good; but no matter how good some gameplay is, I can't get through a mediocre story. The story of FF8 captured me instantly and I looked at the game as less of a GAME, and more of an OPERA.

Even Nobuo Uematsu considers FF8 to be his best work. I look at the DK1337 trailer for Final Fantasy Versus XIII and all I can think is "this looks like FF8, the art direction, the mis-en-scene and the direction of photography look identical"... and what do you know? Its the same people. Its one of the reasons I am more looking forward to Versus than Fabula Nova Crystalis.

Well Jack Patrick Rodgers at PopMatters.com just wrote an indepth article that hopefully explains better than I could on why the story for FF8 was so good...

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/70336-remembering-the-orphan-final-fantasy-viii/

Is there any videogame out there that’s more in need of a critical reevaluation than Final Fantasy VIII? Despite strong sales when it first released in 1999, the game is considered only a minor entry on both sides of the Pacific. Most reviews in the US were only mildly positive and bemoaned that the iconic characters of Final Fantasy VIIhad been replaced with a group of sensitive teenagers, while a 2006 poll in Japanese gaming bible Famitsu revealed that Final Fantasy VIII was only the sixth most popular installment of the series. More grudgingly liked than truly loved, it’s the red-headed stepchild of the franchise. And that’s a shame, because upon closer inspection, the game is an excellent work of entertainment that occasionally aspires to becoming art.

What about the plot exactly isn't mediocre? Of all the final fantasy games I've played, I can't really say any of them have Pullitzer Prize winning plots.

To me, if I have to sit through 40+ hours of mediocre gameplay and story, it damn better have good music, but I really can't remember any of the ff8 tunes except for Eyes on Me.

I admire FF8 for having an emotionally consistent main character. Also I think it's a nice touch how you start mid story (time loopwise) and the rest of the plot only rolls out one you've seen the story in its entirety.

Ultimecia is probably the least understood villains in the series history. Leave it to fans of empty and boring, villains like Kefka and his pointless "killzorz LOL!" to utterly miss out the subtleties in FF8.

well FFVIII was one of my least favorites. none of the characters appealed to me in any way, i didn't like the system at all, for combat, the draw system or anything. I DID like the summon system, quiet a bit actually, but that's it.... the story itself was better than most, but it didn't hold me too long with everything else.

Does Tactics count? :(

picture.php

<3 <3 that game.

Agreed. FFVIII is also my favorite out of the entire series. Nice read, BTW.

And FFVIII had awesome music. Eyes on Me, The Extreme, Ultimecia's Castle, The Man with the Machine Gun, Force Your Way, The Stage is Set, Waltz for the Moon..I could go on.

Tactics was weak; taking attention away from Tactics Ogre, which was better in every way, is a grave sin. FF8 was pretty decent, though.

FF8 was fantastic. Everyone's just a hater cuz of the battle system. I honestly thought FF6, FF7, and FF8 were the best of the series and I enjoyed FF8 a bit more than FF6. Musically, I thought FF6 was the strongest in the series melodically, but FF8 certainly did have it's aura of pleasantness, maturity, and charm.

Tactics was weak; taking attention away from Tactics Ogre, which was better in every way, is a grave sin. FF8 was pretty decent, though.

Tactic's job system =/= weak. Only weak thing about Tactics was the stupid judges in Advance.

The variety of jobs didn't really do much for me. I mean, they're neat, but in FFT half them have like one useful skill, and they're all made obsolete by the uniques anyway.

It was the rest of the game that was really lacking.

I still say IX is the best...but that's just me. I don't think I ever finished VIII, though it was decent if I remember.

I still say IX is the best...but that's just me. I don't think I ever finished VIII, though it was decent if I remember.

ya IX is my personal favorite, i loved most everything about it aside from the TRANCE system, which was awful. But setting, story, characters, comedy, music all made me love it. But the system itself, as a game, makes me put as one of the worst of the series. I like the 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 systems over it myself. But none of them left the impression IX did. But i also love VII and IV. But think VI and XII were the best although I hated XII with a passion.

FFT and TO are both amazing games. I own them both, and find them both equally amazing and are my two favorite games ever. FFT didn't rip off TO, because its made by the same guy... well anyways Ramza and Denim FTW!!

And I love FF8!@?#!@> its so amazing, I don't know why so many people hate it... I think its just as good as VII.

I haven't found a FF that is my favorite. Since I never played them till 7, i had no idea of the games. After 7 i looked into the other ones that came out before and saw that there are a lot of thigns that i liked about them and things that i disliked about the,.. So overall, the series is good, but never found one to be called my favorite.

Back