New SOULCALIBUR Title at E3? *EDIT: Hah! Nope

• Admin
The rumor mills are spinning! With the Facebook Popularity Poll ending last week, people have been wondering if Namco was about to unveil a new SOULCALIBUR title this year at E3. After all, Lost Swords is over a year old now, and was single player only. A new mothership SOULCALIBUR title tends to come out every 3-4 years, so now would be the time to get this party started.

While E3 opens to the public on Tuesday, the event actually begins for the press on Sunday. With the Microsoft keynote airing on Monday morning, and Sony during the evening, we could know the details within the next few days. So be sure to stick to 8WAYRUN to hear the news; as we will try our best to keep you all updated with the relevant information.

In the meantime, lets talk. What do you want out of a new SOULCALIBUR game? What are your expectations? New characters? Guest Characters? A complete reboot to bring back the older characters?

Personally, with Talim winning the popularity poll; I expect her to be in the next title. Hell, the biggest reason I stopped playing SOULCALIBUR was because Talim wasn't in the recent game. Talim is the reason I play fighting games at all. muh talim @BrewtusBibulus and @NeoOutlaw used to come over to my place and play SOULCALIBUR on the Dreamcast; and I was just never into it. It wasn't until Talim in SOULCALIBUR II where I actually got into fighting games.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
So, I take it I'm the only one who wants Dampierre as DLC and three mimic characters in SOULCALIBUR 6 ? Kappa

Nah, that's fine. Just give me Talim. :P

My ideal roster would look something like.

Link
Astaroth
Cassandra
Sophitia
Siegfried
Nightmare
Mitsurugi
Yoshimitsu
Natsu
Olcadan
Leixia
Raphael
Amy
Viola
Lizardman (Aeon)
Cervantes
Zasalamel
Throw Rocks son in as an extra, agile, single handed axe user.
Dampierre for giggles
Yunsung with alternate Hwang for DLC
Maxi with Li Long optional DLC
Hilde
Voldo
Setsuka
Yoda
(Long breath) And I would put in Patroklos, only because game reviewers would think it would be strange not to have him.
Also Pyrrha only if I could justify her having a diff style, otherwise I would try to make another new style.

Yeah this is a 27 long character roster, it might be too big, but I think it would make most fans happy. Might make Rock fans upset but I would still like to see his son make it into the game.

Mechanically I think a soul calibur game should not take the players eyes away from the characters. I would not want to see gauges at the top of the screen by the HP bars but rather just visual ques on the characters if burst artes or super powers could be used. maybe a little aura glow or pulse or something like that.

I'm getting a little off topic here though I guess.

(Long breath) And I would put in Patroklos, only because game reviewers would think it would be strange not to have him.

long breath? uhh i'll have you know that patroklos is the true hero of soulcalibur, and has the best swagtastic grab in the game (66b+g). like who even wants yoda.. gtfo you filthy casual.

I actually liked the direction that was taken with the roster in SCV. Sure the characters themselves weren't fleshed out, but PS was trying to be progressive with the game.

If there is a SCVI, I hope they keep the same roster they had but add more variety to the last minute additions. Maybe Elysium can be a Sophie/Nu character who can attack with crystal spikes or some shit. Kilik can retain his old style while incorporating moves that would fit in with the mechanics of SCV.

I can understand some of the frustration with casuals bitching about their main being replaced by a different character but it's refreshing to see new faces in the series.

I guess apart from the previous conversations, I'd like to see Namco add a feature in their Training Mode. During Instant Replay on SCV, there is action for the maximum time of 10 seconds, I think. For instance, you could have Natsu or somebody. During replay, she'll do :2::A+B:. Then you have her do :6::6::B::BE: follow-up to try to combo. Now let's edit the replay so you can program it to switch the latter move with :A+B: instead. That way, experts and beginners will learn better follow-up moves by experimentation. Like replay substitutes.

No doubt,graphics will improve since it's next gen.
What's more important is gameplay. They need to bring back soul charge and many things that SC 2 and 3 had. They need to get rid of critical attacks and improve gameplay. Every since people started bugging namco about character creation, it seems as if gameplay had little importance to them. I don't care about character creation, but the gameplay.

Last edited:
In what way is removing Critical Edges synonymous with improving gameplay? SCV has objectively the best gameplay in the series. Even if you LIKE the other games better, it'd be difficult to argue that they were BETTER competitively.

What's more important is gameplay. They need to bring back soul charge and many things that SC 2 and 3 had. They need to get rid of critical attacks and improve gameplay. Every since people started bugging namco about character creation, it seems as if gameplay had little importance to them. I don't care about character creation, but the gameplay.
I'm not worried about gameplay that much.SCV's gameplay was pretty good.idk if it was the best of all games but it was good regardless.Only changes id like to see are making CEs harder to execute,return guard impacts (that don't cost meters),and expand the movelists of some of the characters (for the sake of freedom).

I'm not worried about gameplay that much.SCV's gameplay was pretty good.idk if it was the best of all games but it was good regardless.Only changes id like to see are making CEs harder to execute,return guard impacts (that don't cost meters),and expand the movelists of some of the characters (for the sake of freedom).
I agree that the gameplay in SC5 is amazing, but would you agree that they should bring back soul charges and get rid of CEs?

I agree that the gameplay in SC5 is amazing, but would you agree that they should bring back soul charges and get rid of CEs?
Nah.I like CE's more.ill quote what i said from the sc6 discussion thread.
I really hope they return Critical Edges back to what they were originally in Soul Edge (Blade).
In SCV , the CE's are more Street Fighter-ish,i dislike that.

In SE(B),the CE requires the input of a special combination of two parts: they are initially activated by pressing all three attack buttons together (A B K), and if it connects, the player has the chance of extending the combo with a character-specific sequence, which must be input during the attack.

It was difficult to execute back when i was playing SE.I hope they bring it back & make it much more difficult.Maybe the first part can be executed by the same commands of a CE in SCV;but to continue it , each charactermust have his/her own inputs to execute in the right time for the Critical Edge to becompleted.Also,make the the second-part inputs as difficult as Ivy's Calamity Symphony,it's worth the damage oncemastering it.

With all due respect, the games had a bunch of useless moves. Now most characters have a time and place for almost every move they have. Once again, I am seeing false parallels. Less moves =/= worse.

Back