Patroklos Q&A/Discussion Thread

I'm always down for matches, esp. against characters I know so little about. I need smacked down a few times by setups to learn 'em.

Heh, i'm slowly learning this. What is the best way to follow it up to take advantage of how awesome it is? Any ideas?

Depends what they're doing. If they're going for quick mids 6BBB is a nice option. If you're against someone like natsu and they're mashing AAB, or another fast high, a tech crouching move would beat it. If they're just blocking you could do another 1K, a throw, maybe a 1B to get the +0 on block. I'm a fan of 44A since it will catch a step if they try one and it's also only -2 so you can continue pressure after it.

Depends what they're doing. If they're going for quick mids 6BBB is a nice option. If you're against someone like natsu and they're mashing AAB, or another fast high, a tech crouching move would beat it. If they're just blocking you could do another 1K, a throw, maybe a 1B to get the +0 on block. I'm a fan of 44A since it will catch a step if they try one and it's also only -2 so you can continue pressure after it.

I see. Sound advice, I think I like the sound of 1B best, or maybe B+K if they are going for the highs.

And of course after 1k a lot of people, knowing pat is a range 0 character, try to backdash. So god created 66b and jsab. He created them for justice.

any tips vs cervantes? I'm getting outspaced all the way.
should i be close at all times or is mid range better? he is a lot safer in practise than on paper.

if you're on PS3 you might wanna upload a replay chief. (unless you're playing offline *gulp*)

but I know what you mean. A lot of characters have more range than Patroklos even though they're not a Nightmare or Astaroth. He's really rushdown, so aside from certain instances you need to be holding forward and in the other guy's face at all times. If you try to play the spacing game 66A is too slow to cover that range reliably so your options really are 66B or hold forward. (There is 66K but that still involves holding forward.)

Safe 3B, screw that... F that...

Hey guys, any tips on fighting longer range characters such as astor, xiba, nightmare etc.? Having a difficult time getting in as it seems most of these character somehow beat me to the punch.

use A+B, 236 your way in.

Always move forward, don't move back. If they let you in stay in. If they move back, if they backdash, step in.

Get uncomfortable for both parties.

If you move back and it isn't to dodge then you're messing up.

no replays, i play at offline meetings only, sorry.
maybe put a camera on the tv next time, would be nice.
i will try keeping the pressure going, even if it's just by moving pat forwards, tnx!

I've got a question about Pat's Frame Data page..
It says :(1):*:(4):*7h::A: is +8 on CH, but since you can combo :A::A:, which is i12, or :B::B:, which is i14, shouldn't it be +14, or at the very least +12?

You can't combo :6::B:, which is i15.

What do you think about run up A+G (run up throw in general)? Against opponents who guess the break wrong, esp. in A+G's case, it seems really effective because of the okizeme you get (and you can repeat the throw again). It feels so dirty, though. But that's just me...

I think 1K rushing is safer to do, or rather, gets more consistent results... Too bad Pat has t-rex arms.

You're right. 44A has different properties on CH.

Does anyone else use wavedash with pat? It's very nice for closing distance and kind of tricky to defend against with the threat of JS B.

I will sometimes 236, 236 but it doesn't keep constant TC frames, so you can't rely on it to 100% evade highs. As 236 with no attack ends, you stand for a few frames.

Spamming 'wavedash' with characters like patroklos or pyrrha is really bad in this game; this is not a tekken mishima. For one thing, you have only mids out of dash, all which are very punishable except for 236B BE which is still negative on block. There's no mixup here. Secondly, you are moving in on your opponent in a fully linear fashion, so you are open to every vertical, every mid, and every low. Thirdly, you can't recover to standing fast enough to get a decent mixup on them once you close the distance.

Honestly it's just not the way to play the game effectively. Just 66 forward dash in and block to close distance; they didn't nerf forward dash recovery to block in the patch, only backdash. Patroklos already has really good mids in 66B, 1B, BB, 33B, 3B for a risk option.... 236236236236236B is not the way to win

236 [check] 236[attack] is good for closing gaps against Sieg, NM or Asta. They all have a long reaching high in their toolbox to keep you out. Granted they're all easy to wreck once you're up close, but this is a legit option to confirm the evasion of the high after the first 236, then 236A, B for example to punish the whiff. Max 236 esp, this covers a great deal of distance. Worse case, you 236 into guard and block some slow mid.

BTW, on the topic of these 3 slow characters, learn to meter GI their so-called mix-ups. The "infinite GI" of Patroklos makes these match-ups even easier.

how do you break patroklos 66B pressure? safe on block, best stun on hit, wide and long hit box, long damaging combos. Without 4G to back me up I can't reverse pressure him.

how do you break patroklos 66B pressure? safe on block, best stun on hit, wide and long hit box, long damaging combos. Without 4G to back me up I can't reverse pressure him.
Sidestep it, backstep it from long range, or just hit its 21f startup with anything faster. It's really bad on whiff and not that fast.

Back