Patroklos Q&A/Discussion Thread

Cervantes IMO is fantastic, but I would kill to have some of Pat's weapons. His BB is not punishable. His 1K is and should be, most lows are punishable. His throw game makes you duck. His mids are fantastic. 1B is devastating if you have meter (or meter and a bar). And I certainly don't think Yoshi/NM/Voldo/Cervantes have everything going for them but that's another discussion for another thread

Rayne: Lemme ask this then

If almost every move is +on hit, and relatively safe on block? why is he not winning? (yes, i'm including A's as well)

I step 3B w/him. You should be reacting to see if you successfully stepped or not. If I'm not sure, I step and then throw or step and BB

He's safe, but he has limited range and has the throw range of a midget with no arms.

Once you have to close that midrange gap, your options are straight ahead or straight ahead which makes him predictable.

I don't believe that characters necessarily win tournaments... I understand what you are meaning to say, but-

Pat is a new character (getting passed over by tradition). His strength (i.e. what would make players switch to him) is not immediately discernible like an Algol or Viola (you have to know his okizeme situations and when to 1K, otherwise he doesn't seem that great at first glance).

His range (and by association, his throw range) is terrible. He's not a flexible character, either you are fighting in the other guy's face or you are trying to set that up. He's strong, but you have to constantly play to his strengths, and I don't think tournament players want such specialization.

But I think the reason why you don't see him winning tournaments is because people just don't pick him (for whatever reason).

There's-

Kura (from Korea)
Something-Unique (sometimes)
KDZ (sometimes)
Partisan (sometimes)
ShenChan (sometimes - Singapore)

I'm having trouble coming up with names from that point. Only Kura I have seen play Pat 100%.

Really, try to look for tournament footage of Pat- There's not a lot. He's just not in it.

Pat cannot win majors if he doesn't show up.

i play tourneys and i see pat win against certain people and get brutally murdered by others. he doesn't really have a strong mixup in play style really. i think that's why it's hard to play with him and win tourneys. other characters just have better moves for overall situations. it's easier to dish out higher damage with them.

I think Pat is just easily shut down. He lives off momentum and can easily be kept out, all you have is 66B which is viable and that can be easily stepped.

Range really is a problem. Where other characters would have options in certain situations, Pat has none because he can't reach that far.

In his optimal range he's great, if not a little slow. But, should people know the matchup, they're not going to be letting you into that space unless they have a damn good reason.

lack of versatility mainly...he loses kinda bad to good nightmares.

hes great if youre on a roll but other than 66b and hope for the best, his mid-long range options are kinda bad. and he lacks the ability to punish a pyrrha or omega does. he's kinda like mitsu i guess but mitsu's 2k b be is better than 1k.

I think he is a pretty great char - one of the best. But i guess a lot of people that like his style, just prefer pyrrha or omega. Also because omega is arguably straight up an even stronger char.

he's kinda like mitsu i guess but mitsu's 2k b be is better than 1k.
Well, I would consider it an even trade.

Mitsu has 2KB BE, but Pat has a safe mid-range whiff punisher and a good amount of horizontal mids (3A, 236AB, 4K, 66K, 66A...). A lot of Mitsu's good stuff is high, and you know how annoying TCs are in this game...

Honestly characters like this rarely show up in tournaments and by characters like this i mean straight forward rushdowns. Unless its MVC3 but pat is truly a straight up fighter and with many characters who can zone you out and trick you with stances alone pat has a hard time just rushing people down and putting them in his game. Plus tourny players want to truly win so they will use characters who have better options really.

I say give it time. I know I did see alot of pat players at ect4 so i guess thats a good sign. Certain match ups especially against ranged characters like ralph and nightmare too me do seem like a up hill battle most times

If you want to be risky, you can try 6BBB as a frame trap after 1K on hit or 1B on block. Be sure to hit confirm the third hit. The string itself isn't that great, although delaying parts of it can be good for mindgames.

6A is just a close-range stepkiller with a lot of advantage on hit. I personally prefer 44A at that range.

Back