PC vs Consoles

Which platform is home to you?

• Total voters
Yep, Activision reported Skylanders Giants sold about 3.9 million copies!

Didn't know that.

What's funny is nobody had done that yet. I dreamed of a game like that since I was 8 years old, where you dress up your own toy knight with specific plastic armor pieces that attach to a chip inside the toy's "skeleton," scan the toy via a special device, and play as the exact toy you made yourself on the game. Now THAT would make a kick-ass tie-in toy/game.

Last edited:
Didn't know that.

What's funny is nobody had done that yet. I dreamed of a game like that since I was 8 years old, where you dress up you own toy knight with specific plastic armor pieces that attach to a chip inside the toy's "skeleton," scan the toy via a special device, and play as the exact toy you made yourself on the game. Now THAT would make a kick-ass tie-in toy/game.

Yeah exactly!!

With kids (and I'm sure you already know this) they are very hands on, they like things more that they can hold, because it's more real to them! But Activision reported they've made a couple billion in profits from the Skylanders franchise, and I guess another good thing is the re-sale market is virtually gone for Skylanders because you can only buy it with the starter packs (3 toys + the portal) and people are much more less likely to sell their copy of Skylanders used because they've got toys and things for it, they're more invested into it I guess. It's really genius!

Now games like Wonderful 101 are selling like crap because they're Wii-U exclusives and that sucks because that game is awesome! 10,000 copies in the first week... It's horrible, I just hate seeing great games sell like crap, it's like telling developers "don't make Wii-U exclusives, just stick with already-established IPs like Donkey Kong and Mario, don't take a risk with something new!" >__<;;;

Think about the total coup that Lego could pull if they put chips in all their blocks.

Although, the idea of Skylanders isn't that original. Its built on the premises of games like Barcode Battlers, Monster Rancher and even Eye of Judgment.

My most valued games that I once enjoyed the most back in duh day have abandoned me. There used to be 4 games on the console that I'd call home (which was Phantasy Star Online, Kingdom Under Fire, Soul Calibur & The Sims). Soul Calibur is the one & only that hasn't abandon me yet. The rest of the other 3 games are now gone to the PC.

This is not something I'd want to do, but it seems like game developers are giving me no choice at all. Since most of my dearly beloved greatest games of all time are now going to the PC when they once were on consoles. Is it possible to use a game pad (Xbox controller) for the PC? I know PC games require a MASSIVE!!! amount of button input that only a keyboard is capable of handling, but even if I can play with the PC, is it even possible to play PC games with a game pad? For ANY game? (Especially MMORPG; my home games)

Yes. There's wired Xbox controllers (which can be used both for the console and PC), and there's also a special adapter for wireless X360 gamepads. I'd wait for the Xbone controller though, it looks amazing.

Great vid, I hope I can make my PC gameplay seem like console gameplay, because like Kira said, Console games are much, much, more comfortable then anything. The controllability imo is unequaled.

Managing games through Steam, plug-n-play Xbox360 controller support on most current multi-platform games, and sticking to the recommended graphics settings (which the games often determine for you), makes the transition from console to PC play a lot smoother.

I was slow to adopt PC gaming as I've been mostly a console guy all my life (except my Commodore 64 period in the 80s). Once I got a taste of the power and the options available, I was hooked. My wife, too.

I can understand the frustration at certain genres not being available on all platforms. I think consoles can handle MMO games just fine, so long as they are optimized for controller+voice chat play. The utter lack of 3D fighters on the PC is also disappointing. The hardware can handle it, and the controller support is there as well. Maybe things will change over the next console generation. Here's hopin'.

Last edited:
The utter lack of 3D fighters on the PC is also disappointing.
Namco is experimenting with Steam and fighting games with Naruto Ninja Storm 3. If you wanna see fighting games make it to PC, buy the living shit out of that crappy anime game. Vote with your wallets and let Namco know WE WANT 3D FIGHTERS.

A Naruto game is their market test for fighters on the PC? That pretty much tells me they're not interested ...or just oblivious.

Managing games through Steam, plug-n-play Xbox360 controller support on most current multi-platform games, and sticking to the recommended graphics settings (which the games often determine for you), makes the transition from console to PC play a lot smoother.

I was slow to adopt PC gaming as I've been mostly a console guy all my life (except my Commodore 64 period in the 80s). Once I got a taste of the power and the options available, I was hooked. My wife, too.

I can understand the frustration at certain genres not being available on all platforms. I think consoles can handle MMO games just fine, so long as they are optimized for controller+voice chat play. The utter lack of 3D fighters on the PC is also disappointing. The hardware can handle it, and the controller support is there as well. Maybe things will change over the next console generation. Here's hopin'.
This guy knows, hell he probably knows my pain.

A Naruto game is their market test for fighters on the PC? That pretty much tells me they're not interested ...or just oblivious.
I absolutely agree, but this is the company that prioritized a game with a panda and a kangaroo over SC, so I wouldn't expect much logic.

But who knows... perhaps KoF and MK one Steam will open their eyes (‽).

Namco is experimenting with Steam and fighting games with Naruto Ninja Storm 3. If you wanna see fighting games make it to PC, buy the living shit out of that crappy anime game. Vote with your wallets and let Namco know WE WANT 3D FIGHTERS.

Hell yes! Naruto Storm 3 rocks, you should see my ranked match videos for it, lol! The game isn't really a solid fighter at all, it's just super exciting and flashy, sometimes if I use an assist and chakra dash at someone, their screen will be covered in flames for about 2-3 seconds, so they'll just hold block. It's a free grab, lol. Not to mention the Jinchuriki awakening specials you can transform into massive tailed beast during matches... =P

I played it a bit, didn't really like it. Story mode is good, gameplay sucks far beyond Budokai levels.

I played it a bit, didn't really like it. Story mode is good, gameplay sucks far beyond Budokai levels.

The gameplay is decent at best, but it's mostly about mashing the B button and randomly chakra dashing to rapid cancel your combos. A lot of it is random, like aerial combos to knock them into your ultimate jutsu they can replacement-jutsu out of it, so you need to have them burn all 4 of their meter.

Sorry for discussing a game in this topic, but yeah I agree with you, lol.

Anyway, to get back to the real point of this thread...

One of the big advantages of PC gaming is that all the extra money you put on hardware you save in software. Seriously, Steam sales can save you up to $40+ per game.

It may sound odd to you; but tournament players are less than 1% of the people who actually buy fighting games. The Narutimate Fighter series is an extremely successful series when it comes to sales. There is a new entry into the Narutimate Fighter series every year (this year is JoJo All Stars) and they always sell very well.

Also, Narutimate Storm 2 is by far the best single player in the history of fighting games... and non-tournament players care about single player experiences.

Also, Narutimate Hero 3 one of the best fighters ever made:

Last edited:
There are several advantages that consoles have over PC

1) They are closed platforms. You will meet fewer hackers and modders in online competitive games than on PC.

2) They are dedicated gaming platforms. As was already mentioned, you won't get bothered with Java updates and Skype messages while playing a game.

3) The hardware is designed to run games. It's not useful to compare raw specs of PC vs consoles because there are several architectural differences between PC and console. You will never get as much performance in a PC with 256/256M of RAM than in a PS3. There are many subtleties about hardware that are beyond raw CPU/GPU processing power, which is why the only real way to evaluate hardware is through benchmarking.

4) The software is designed to run games. The OS is much more lightweight and the graphics libraries sometimes have optimizations to run specifically on a dedicated platform. If you've ever programmed in openGL, you know that there are some extensions/features only available on certain GPUs, making them difficult to access when programming for generic hardware. With a console, you can be confident that everyone will have the same hardware so you can use everything that's available.

5) Exclusive games, obviously.

6) Most importantly, at least to me, is that they are standardized. A gamepad is usually a much better medium to control games than a keyboard/mouse. When you design a game for a console, you can assume that everybody will have the same gamepad and you can design your game around it. For a PC, the only thing you can assume is that everyone will have a keyboard/mouse so your design can suffer from it. That being said,if your preferred game type is RTS or shooters, you might be better off with a PC.

PCs also have numerous advantages over consoles, but PC fans are usually much quicker to point them out so I won't bother ;)

Yes. There's wired Xbox controllers (which can be used both for the console and PC), and there's also a special adapter for wireless X360 gamepads. I'd wait for the Xbone controller though, it looks amazing.
But is it compatible? or will I be forced to use the keyboard because maybe theres an issue of the button layout. If there is, then I'll be handicapped because I don't have access to all the controls & I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game which is gonna suck. Keyboard & mouse is a hell no.

But is it compatible? or will I be forced to use the keyboard because maybe theres an issue of the button layout. If there is, then I'll be handicapped because I don't have access to all the controls & I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game which is gonna suck. Keyboard & mouse is a hell no.
Have you seriously never heard of JoytoKey?

Back