raphael match up chart

I usually catch myself doing 4B/6B/6K against Asura but I think your best bet for damage might be to step left. 22 combo might whiff so you're probably better off using 33K:B, which will also connect if you catch Kilik in the air. You can also try 8A+B before Kilik lands on the ground and enters tech crouch. It looks funny when both hits connect and he's sent flying in the air, but the 2nd hit might whiff sometimes.

Okay, what moves up close are good for punishing the sisters (Cassandra and Sophitia)?
I seem to have problems taking them down and would like some assistance.

i disagree with cassy 5:5, her 2B+K breaks all prep mixups and can lead to big damage with 4BB:A and crouch throw mixups. 214 and 4B+K both aGI many of his moves. i don't know why that's an even match-up.

prep sucks..... thats why

if the raph is using prep so much that 2B+K is killing him he sucks and should quit. prep is garbage if you abuse it you're raph is garbage simple as that.

And for attack against kilik i have a question:

i really love 44K but it seems nobody use this move...
It's not very fast but has a fast TJ safe and FC on block.
Dunno why many ppl use 9K instead >.>

What do you think is better to prevent asura spam?

9K on block is good enough so that you can step or even 44B/4B a lot of retaliation If you're up against someone who usually does B attacks from crouch (ie amy/kilik) then 9K on block, step 33K:B is an easy way to make them feel stupid. 44K in a blocked situation is tougher to pull off and sometimes it will be unsuccessful.

On hit however, 44K can be used for ring positioning, but I almost always prefer the standing mixup of a 9K on hit rather than 44K followed by a BT 2K or BT 2B.

-- I do not suggest using highs to "spam" out against asura since his ws B combo on NH hurts.

Just 6K and 33K:B should suffice, and toss in a couple of 9K for TJ or to bait a counterattack

I use 44K all the time.

Whiled Trolt is speaking truth, I like 44K because it's easier for me to whiff punish with when I'm constantly spacing or stepping. 44K 2B is gauranteed, plus a good position afterwards. 9K doesn't guarantee anything, just advantage.

against maxi all that i use is 2A and 6B ... if i have a chance 11b/44K over his lows and 33KB if i can step something.
AB is good also but it's hard to land in the middle of his strings.

And i don't think 44B is an offensive tool >.> so i don't agree with your point....

For the antistep fast mid....maybe its true...but he has that awesome special low that is 2a >.>

2A and 6B are great, but I really don't see how simple pokes that do less than 20 damage could possibly give much of an advantage, let alone a 7:3 advantage. And i wasn't really saying 44B is an offensive tool. Usually i'll see raph's throwing it out there when they are at minor disadvantage to try to evade my followup attack. This is where i will usually mix in 236K cause it will beat 44B at closer distances and it will go under any highs. And 2A is not gonna stop Maxi from stepping at all. You get 14 damage if I get caught, you take almost 70 damage if you do something more linear (which is most of Raph's move set) and i get around it. I will take that risk all day long, you just gonna keep doing 2A?

The reason behind the maxi raph match up is because of raphs spacing ability at that range maxi cant really stop step either seeing as how 66B+K and 236B both track the same side.

Maxi actually kills step really well. 33A fully tracks with good range and combos with A+Bg. When hes up closer, 4AB kills step and hurts pretty bad. And as for getting spaced, I never really find it hard to get in on Raph. 4B has really good range, its not hard at all to block a poke and get in a 4B mix-up. Usually this is the part where raph's will try to get away from 4B's with a 44B, but thats where 236K comes in. Overall, Raph wins in the long range battle with his pokes, but he doesn't really have the ability to completely keep maxi out, and once Maxi gets more into the mid-close range, Maxi has a pretty distinct advantage. Thats why i say this matchup is much closer to 5:5. I know you've fought my Maxi before with your Raph Bubbles, we can play the matchup some more if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Uber: You know playing online won't prove anything. To be able to fight against Maxi effectively, you need to be able to react to those highs he does that give advantage. You can't do that online, you have to guess when to duck when playing online. Especially with you and bubbles connection, I know it can't be good.

yeah he kills step but not at long range 66B+K and 236B are his long range options. we both play maxi I dont need to explain why thats a problem. and we can play more so for now ill change it to 6:4

he does kills step at a range, 33A is pretty damn good range. Sure its not as long as say kilik's 66A, but its got pretty damn good range. And it does enough damage to make you want to not eat it. 35ish with wakes into RC. And yeah, I know online doesn't really prove everything, but really the way I play the only highs you are going to duck are guess ducks (mostly against RO A), so that doesn't really matter much. And yeah, you could argue that its harder to input TC attacks in between a 3BA, but thats pretty much the same with everyone else -- can't jump Amy's 3BA, can't duck vader's 1BA, etc.... And with Maxi, he at least has an option that will beat out pretty much anything you do, so its really even less of an issue than some of the things other characters have with lag.

raph has really strong TC tho....... 33A is really nothing compared to raphs poking range

its around the same range as Raph's poking range, its just slower (but not that much slower -- i20). But still, its enough to not allow raph to just space him the whole time, since you can't duck the 33A and step the long range verts like 4B or 66B+K at the same time. And once he gets in, Raph is really not as well equiped in close. People totally underestimate Maxi's range. He is not really a close range character. He can fight quite well at close range, but he really plays most effectively at mid-range. At long range he has a more limited move set, but he has the tools to get in against really everyone but algol, against whom you basically just have to rush down the whole time.

Uber Dave, I'd like to play you online when you get the time, I know we've sparred before but I don't remember this matchup being this interesting. Want to see if I can't find a way to neutralize 33A...step g it or something...

Back