Raphael video thread!

So I checked out the vs. Ivy games. I saw snazzy 236B for a while. Punishing. Also, what appeared to be abuse of Ivy's stiffness/clumsiness for pressure, was as good as instructive. I was especially loving 6B or B into 2A. Brutal. Then you lost some rounds.

I remember forming one thought, and it was: I think one should rather lose a game doing what he understands and reckoning what's just beyond it, than try against a tide of better skill and experience, throwing just anything on a gamble it could counter what's happening. Even if you won, how much better of a player would you be? And what are the chances, truly, that stuff made up -in reaction to- the other player will escape his expectation?
But I could be very wrong here. It might be relative to the cognitive style of the player. I only have experience with mine.

Remember you can always draw out a match against most characters fairly long, even if the conclusion is foregone. (I want to know if Raph has particular talents at this actually.) Take the time if you need it to figure out what's happening. Every game, you have two rounds you're allowed to lose (just put up a fight for your soul gauge). Flipside, it means no game can just be 'stolen', hence the virtue of patience and reliability. I just... I don't want to see whiff punish launchers for what seems like two straight rounds. Punishing 236Bs that catch air. There's credit to the opponent, and then there's a part where you have to go "somewhere, something about this player's mind played a cause in this." ShenRii there was a duration you were fighting in a way no fencer would. If not fencing, what paradigm did back your choices?
I think my point is, if shit is going that wrong, that quickly, you can try and surprise yourself with a clever recovery, or you can cede the disadvantage and make it hard as ---- for your opponent to finish what he started.

Again, I'm in a dilemma here. I want to speak my mind, to throw out my opinions for scrutiny and mockery, but can I even judge what was happening to ShenRii psychologically? Am I mistaken in what I think was happening there? If so... how does one ever resolve such ambiguous evidence, in trying to download his opponent?

Specific note: What is your plan when you do a prep transition move? I think, including Prep BB and SEA B, you have to do something to make your opponent pressured to predict the prep transition. When you empty 3B, that's nice, but still you're the one who's got to dodge the next bullet. I have not found any problems in just resorting to 44B while I watch for any laziness in the anti-prep (e.g., *always* step one side), but there are ranges I've learned do not work.
You -have- to make your opponent enticed to do something after the 3B so that a Prep actually looks like good frames. Otherwise, don't do 3B. It sucks. (6BB has its own virtues with the CH confirm and quick recovery/blockstun.)

EDIT: I can say more than this:

That I can see, every time you hit WS B NH, you 8WR to the right. Many times, you were step countered. (other than this, I really like your iWS B. iWS B is coming to define my game as I understand Raph now, too)
You behave oddly in oki when you're near the stage edge. I myself have this odd use of 66K. You use 66A+B, and it never works. (You're own wakeup is good afaict) (66A+B only catches heads that roll to your left when you're standing on them.)
You can beat Maxi spinning his sticks around with the unblockable. Backpedal and go.
Every time you did 66A, it did nothing good for you. I think you should re-evaluate your strategy for this move.
I'm pretty sure that 1K was also deceptively bad for you. Do it when your opponent's attention is on Raph's sword, or arms.
Don't mistake 'getting away with A+B' for 'A+B being good'. It's negligible for soul crush and doesn't constrain the opponent particularly, and has hitbox flaws. If you find yourself using a move like this, consider that you may be giving your opponent a breather as well. If I could, I'd pretend to be flabbergasted by moves that aren't doing anything to me, all the time.
When people circle at a distance, if you have the range advantage, just run at them, or stop short. In these situations, it's Raph's mids people hate, not his horis.

I think Raph can drag out battles, no problems there.

Regarding 236Bs, in my mind there's an ideal situation where 236B will contact but on the flip side, the opponent can bait it out. I probably got stubborn and was not thinking right.

As for 3~Prep transition, my theory is simple really. If they step, Prep becomes safe, if they duck/attack, I'll take the Prep A, if they stay and guard, I'll continue with Prep B or something along that line. But the problem lies in that you have to predict it before hand, so if I do an empty Prep, I'm expecting a step. I chose 3B because 3B itself is punishable, hence making it a viable bait. Also, it has decent damage to the Soul Gauge.
The problem is that I tend to forget 3B itself.

Thanks for the constructive criticisms.

I've promised to rec some Raphael vids before, and since I'm back in business, I finally did.

I might be a bit rusty though, so maybe next time I can play better. But, I beat Edge's Amy 10-2! With Raphael! If you want I can put up the whole set(s).

good stuff, amazing how even after you step behind amy's 3B, her A will hit you if you attack her from behind.

The video vs Kilik is a real lesson on how to fight at Raph's distance.
And the one vs Amy shows he's not defenseless at close range.

Black Dog, thank you. I think vs Kilik vid wasnt good enough, but yes, I hoped it shows how range is important. I think its best for raph players if I record set first to 3 or 5 against Kilik and put it up. Next time I will do that.

why no SEA against kilik? (less risky than prep BB BB)
i can 't understand how u can prep him on block do you delay B?

SEA at the proper range is extremely strong and difficult to react expecially on hit same for VE transition

Btw i still think that if the opponent try to attack raph is actually good if they start to poke safely they just outdamage raph that is probably trying the same strategy :|

darkfender: If they get hit by prep BB next prep BB cant be stepped ,and sea can be GI ... and if they block prep BB they cant move still b/c prep BBB/BBB:B will hit. So it somewhat makes them just stand there.

Raph has more range than anyone in the game in terms of range speed... nobody has same move as 3B ... crazy range, fast, safe mid... and 236B... reach so far and is rather fast. See the end of the vid, I can stay safely at range where kilik cant hit me with anything at all, even 4B wiff. but I can reach him.

Just discussing my point:

Impactimg seA mixup is never a good idea:
- command can be delayed (i do it a lot against a friend who tries it he quit trying >.>) for a granted B,A
- can be done out of range if prep hits at tip
- it can't be done on reaction when u see what will come out of seA (B or A mostly i14)

it needs spacing the only risk is to be punished during seA entering if they see that coming but its not easy at all.

And against prep BBB etc they can TS if i recall correctly...it never happens cause usually if ppl steps after 3B so i don't use prep a lot on block ._.

Talking bout transitions....on hit i find VE viable sometimes.

Whats TS?

SEA A and SEA B impact with same timing. Delay is slight.. of course it can be delayed, but the risk is still on your side. So if you want to mix - mix with SEA K.
If you do SEB instead opponent recover from GI before you can hit him with SEB anything. So he can GI again.

Actually I think that impacting SEA is usually a good idea. Some characters also have auto evasion, aGI , interrupts etc. In fact prep BBB is pretty cool - it enables many options from prep that stop working after opponent is familiar with raph.

Not all characters can step the 3rd B in prepBBB after blocking the first two (but the timing to guard impact is rather obvious).

TS =tech step maybe ?

yep TS tech step

Actually u can delay of about 20 and probably more frames, i tested it a lot from years.
For sure u can easily make a GI whiff...risk is not more than risking a step...

Infact SEA is the only option that blocks most step answers.
aGI and such are different things but then u have SEA A and SEA B and not many aGI blocks vertical mids AND lateral highs

SEB B is even more difficult to GI

The risk is not consistent IF you prep at TIP..prepping with blade makes most characters to have a single answer to most options (mitsu can FC 1B .-. and catch all but a NH prepA that does few damage....but at tip SEA will make him whiff)

If you know your opponent will try GI sometimes u have access to lot of new mixups and turns the tide of risk/reward from 25 to 50% at least

I usually stop blocked preps at 3B B to avoid punishment, but after BB u can enter SEA, VE, stop the prep its best to keep blocking and punish or try to step

Always impressive to see a Raph beat Amy...

Nice use of 44A,B into Prep, but after it, you often choose prep K, instead of prep A. Is there a reason ?
Also, is 44B worth using after a GI ?

Back