Rock General Discussion

Avid rock reader here. I haven't posted before since I just registered, but have been reading forever ( caliburforum, guardimpact )! Just want to say thanks to you guys for the hard work, and i'm loving Rock! Utter manliness. :)

Rock is indeed the manliest.

Re: Matt.

I can see what you mean. I'll admit I only pull out 1K, GT once a month, and almost never on the same person. I just think it's still nice to have. It could be better (it's still pretty terrible), but it's there.

There's more to 1K that meets the eye.
1K when it hits GROUNDED opponents, gives so much advantage that a PT is pretty UNINTERRUPTABLE, if they tech. So for combos like say 4A+B -> 1K. Instead of doing 1K -> GT (cuz they can tech) you can set them up and do 1K -> jf PT. Stuff like WS B is also uninterruptable (block 8 = CF). Amongst many other attacks. 1K is gold when you understand it's use properly.

1K when it hits GROUNDED opponents, gives so much advantage that a PT is pretty UNINTERRUPTABLE, if they tech.

Nice find. Always had problems to find the right moment for PT.

What do you guys think about 44K and 11K?

I like to use 11K -> CT in corners or near the edge but i haven't found a use anywhere else for it.

^ This week I added 44K to my arsenal and I love it. I like doing it on Oki for pressure the most, especially if my opponent likes to get up attacking. I wana use 11K more. Thinking post GI. My game post GI is usually 214:A:::A:::A: or throw, need to mix it up more though lol.

Nice find. Always had problems to find the right moment for PT.

What do you guys think about 44K and 11K?

I like to use 11K -> CT in corners or near the edge but i haven't found a use anywhere else for it.

11K = useless imo but it's safe and mid and does ok gauge damage

44K i really want to use more...but it's tooo linear. It jumps lows, which is a plus. I hardly use it though

44K is good as a wake-up. 1K into PT will not land. Can't they just tech back? WSB is always good. It just kills all wake-up if they block it.

44K is good as a wake-up. 1K into PT will not land. Can't they just tech back? WSB is always good. It just kills all wake-up if they block it.

Have you tried it Draco? :p

What you mean kill the wakeup? i WANT them to block it.

Either way ALL tech fails to jf dash -> throw. (UNINTERRUPTABLE)

Got a potential mixup which extends Rock's forward ringout range. Did this to the computer but it should work on actual players, in my head anyway lol. Hope to test it this weekend but maybe you guys can debunk or back it up.

From leg towards, 3A+G throw, instead of following up with with the butt, run up and 1K to turn then around to leg towards again and do 3A+G. You guys may already do this, I duno, but it just dawned on me tonight lol.

This kind of requires the opponent to know Rock and expect the 1A+G or 1B+G after the leg throw followup and try for the break instead of techrolling. But if they don't techroll, and don't break the A throw lol... Yeehaw!

What's the most damaging guaranteed followup after a JI? Thinking 6[A+B]? If you include the chance of a ground throw.

jf Dash > throw WILL NOT land if opponent's hold G after 1A+G

There's probably a misunderstanding, or i'm not being clear.

Cuz i KNOW that i'm talking about POST 1K on ground hit. From since the beginning of my post.

Jin:
If you're fast i think you can get 66AB or 66B :)

4KA is a nice one though

nothing related... just wanna discuss....

biggest problem with JF PT is.... before you're doing JF PT you're already at tremendous amount of frame advantage (the move is sooooo slow... you need to be at huge amount of frame advantage... like during wakeup) ... after JF PT you're left with pretty much the same amount of frame advantage....

the only thing that JF PT offers is... a tad of damage to gauge and you HOPE they will duck it or interupt it with something that can't interupt you... the risk vs reward for this move isn't really there sadly :(.... I still think it's necessary to use because it applies pressure... but the fact that 1) you gotta do JF... easy or not.. it's JF.. you can screw up.... 2) range issues 3) why not 2B+K? (yes less frames but also much easier to land on hit from my experience)

I only land JF PT once out of a 20+ match session where I pretty much do JF PT once on average on every other round... fortunately the time i did land it... it was on setsuka and i did the CT afterwards... so it made it all worth it.

discuss

-LAU

Hm I have a lot more success with it but my friends aren't quite to GIng it on wakeup yet. I just do it after GI and on wakeup mainly, but I may end up using it many times in a single round lol. I like the mixups off the GB and the wearing down of their soul gauge. Also ups Rock's intimidation factor.

I have a question about grabbing. I am having trouble doing them since I have had my controls binded. The bind was L2=A+B,R2=B+K,R1=A+K,L1=G, and X=either A+G or B+G character dependant. Because of this I now can't seem to do them consistantly by pushing G and the corresponding one. This is complicating playing Rock for fun. Would you guys recomend taking of the X button bind. I have one other thing to say I miss SC3 rock voice actor. He was the most manly. Also is rock from SC3 and SC4 have inherently the same moveset. I know he sucks more in 3, but I don't have the game on me to check.

edit-Also what would be the optimal range to play rock from. I am guessing that close range is the range, but may be wrong.

Can't really help you with binding. I try to play with a stick, but at tourneys (where I have to play pad) I have L1 = A+B, L2 = B+G, R1 = A+K, R2 = A+B+K+G. I can do most of what I want, except for command throw. I'm sure if I actually played with a pad it'd be fine.

You want to stay close with Rock for the most part, because you need to punish with 6K and throws. His ranged stuff isn't so hot, either. One thing you do need to watch out for is how slow he is; running in for a 66AB against almost any character will get you interrupted most of the time, so you need to work his range on things like that. You always have 6B+K and bullrush to move in with, though.

I like to work PT against grounded, but I sometimes get screwed by its inconsistent hitbox, so if someone rolls the wrong way they can get up right into the PT and it'll just go right through them, which is nice. I still like the move for post GI and times when I sense hesitation but I don't want to risk a 6K. Wish I could get the JF more consistently, though; some days I get it every time, some days I'm lucky to get even one.

what should i be doing after JF PT on block?

i run up and throw, but maybe there's something else i'm supposed to be doing?

What u do depends on what your opponent does when he blocks it :)

Remember though that 4A+B is uninterruptable and unstepppable post block.

If they're cornered, and you want to keep the pressure, do another JF PT. If the JF PT pushes them out too much, 2B+K to pull them back in.

66B and 6B are best if you want to fish for CH. Sadly, the only thing that cathes step is throw (when close) and 4A+B (which is unsafe). I personally avoid using that move and stick with 2B+K instead.

i've been finding 3A helping me out against steppers...

it's also not as unsafe as i first imagined it to be

all moves should be revisted once inawhile....

-LAU

Back