SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

I fail to see why this would be trolling. Not only this is perfectly possible, but it was leaked by someone who, so far, leaked lots of things that ended up being true
Vergeben's source is trolling you (and lots of other people).

When you say it's "perfectly possible," I agree and disagree. Is it possible Maxi is gay? Yes. Is it possible a gay relationship will be portrayed in SoulCalibur? No.

It isn't due to homophobia, although I'm sure that's a non-insignificant factor for a conservative Japanese company like Namco-Bandai. It's because SoulCalibur (and most other fighting games and lots of Japanese media in general) never portray romantic relationships as anything more than surface level infatuation. Basically, no one fucks in SoulCalibur. That's just how it is. Sexual relationships always take place far removed from the actual games (i.e. the gap between SC1 and 2, or the gap between 4 and 5) and both members of the relationship are never present in the same game. This is mostly the consequence of lazy writing, but also a weakness of Japanese media in general. They're not going to portray Maxi as being in a relationship because they don't know how to portray any kind of romantic relationships.

If she was evil in Soulcalibur 2 and 3 then explain why she was trying to destroy Soul Edge in those said games?
To be fair, she was also trying to destroy Soul Edge in SC1. It was just that she was deceived by the sword into collecting souls to strengthen Soul Edge. But in her mind, she was strengthening a weapon that would be capable of matching Soul Edge's strength.

I strongly doubt it.

When you say it's "perfectly possible," I agree and disagree. Is it possible Maxi is gay? Yes. Is it possible a gay relationship will be portrayed in SoulCalibur? No.
And who exactly told you we're getting a Dragon Age level of romance in Soul Calibur? Nobody ever said that. And ye, it IS possible for a gay relationship to be portrayed in SC, specially now that we will get story focus, we don't need that much focus on the romance for it to be a thing.

It isn't due to homophobia, although I'm sure that's a non-insignificant factor for a conservative Japanese company like Namco-Bandai. It's because SoulCalibur (and most other fighting games and lots of Japanese media in general) never portray romantic relationships as anything more than surface level infatuation. Basically, no one fucks in SoulCalibur. That's just how it is. Sexual relationships always take place far removed from the actual games (i.e. the gap between SC1 and 2, or the gap between 4 and 5) and both members of the relationship are never present in the same game. This is mostly the consequence of lazy writing, but also a weakness of Japanese media in general. They're not going to portray Maxi as being in a relationship because they don't know how to portray any kind of romantic relationships.
Really? Sophitia has a husband and two kids. Xianghua had a son with Kilik and two with some chinese general she married. Cervantes has a daughter and he is a fucking pirate. What exactly is this about "nobody fucks in Soul Calibur"? Sure, they don't show actual sex scenes, but this is not because this is a fighting game, its because its not a rated M game. Also, "they don't know how to portray any kind of romantic relationships"? What kind of logic is that? You mean that, in Japan, there is not a single person capable of writing a romance for them to hire? You must be joking. You're just finding a random excuse with no logic put into it to argue against something.

I strongly doubt it.

And who exactly told you we're getting a Dragon Age level of romance in Soul Calibur? Nobody ever said that. And ye, it IS possible for a gay relationship to be portrayed in SC, specially now that we will get story focus, we don't need that much focus on the romance for it to be a thing.

Really? Sophitia has a husband and two kids. Xianghua had a son with Kilik and two with some chinese general she married. Cervantes has a daughter and he is a fucking pirate. What exactly is this about "nobody fucks in Soul Calibur"? Sure, they don't show actual sex scenes, but this is not because this is a fighting game, its because its not a rated M game. Also, "they don't know how to portray any kind of romantic relationships"? What kind of logic is that? You mean that, in Japan, there is not a single person capable of writing a romance for them to hire? You must be joking. You're just finding a random excuse with no logic put into it to argue against something.
You can believe whatever you want. Personally, I'm calling bullshit.

You seem a bit confused on a few of my points. First, you don't need to portray sexual intercourse to portray a romantic relationship. Showing such a relationship can be as simple as: "I love you." "I love you too." Secondly, people being born (Cervantes is Ivy's father, Xianghua and Kilik had kids); a storybook ending (Sophitia getting married); or a character motivation (Li Long avenging Chie, Maxi avenging his crew) is not the same thing as portraying two character acknowledging their mutual love for one another. Third, I never said that romance stories don't exist in Japanese media. But Japan's love of youthful characters has caused most stories to focus on infatuation rather than on the actual relationships. Once characters get old (Siegfried, Mitsurugi, Rock, Ivy, Taki, Setsuka, etc.) it's just assumed they're going to be single forever. Any of these characters could be gay and it would change the story zero percent.

Lastly, all of this stuff is my opinion on story-telling. Logic isn't required for opinions.

You can believe whatever you want. Personally, I'm calling bullshit.
Vergeben:
SC6 is getting announced at this event. *Is announced*

SC6 will be more story focused. *Okubo says that the game is more story focused*

SC6 will have a v-trigger like mechanic. *has a v-trigger like mechanic*

SC6 will have a double sword edgelord. *double sword teased.*

SC6 Kilik and X are confirmed. *Kilik, X, and edgelord revealed*

But no yeah for sure his source is definitely just fucking with us.

I think that we’ll get a bit of backstory for this whole ordeal in a splash panel in the story mode. Something like:

Maxi’s ship is attacked by a swole dude who was looking for Soul Edge.
By the time Maxi showed up, it was too late.
He surveyed his slain crew and saw his lover, Frank, laying in a pool of blood.
Frank’s last words were something about swole dude looking for something called Soul Edge.
Frank dies and melts into glitter, Crystal Waters CDs, and a gym membership card.
He wept for Frank, for he alone could back up the saying, “I just went from six to midnight. ”

Maxi joined X and K’s search for Soul Edge because he knew he would cross paths with swole dude again if he did.

Vergeben said:
Maxi is in by the way. Speaking of which, I have some big news about him potentially.
Take this with a HUGE grain of salt because even my source that told me couldn't 100% confirm it, but the wording and what they were told eludes them to believe that he might be gay on SCVI, apparently?
Don't look too far into this yet.

@Rex Dart he’s saying that he doesn’t have 100% confirmation. That’s not the same thing as trolling. And besides, there’s no reason why the source would lie about this or troll us lmao we’re really not that important for you to think this person is trying to deceive you after giving us a lot of correct leaks in the first place.

But, clearly you’re not gonna understand that so there’s no point arguing whether or not Maxi will be gay. We’ll just have to wait and see.

You: You're dumb for not believing this rumor.
Me: But we were told to "Take this with a HUGE grain of salt"
You: That just means it's not confirmed yet. Do you think an anonymous person would just tell lies? You're too dumb to understand. Anyway, there's no point in discussing this anymore.
Me: Sure, champ.

You: That just means it's not confirmed yet. Do you think an anonymous person would just tell lies? You're too dumb to understand. Anyway, there's no point in discussing this anymore.
There’s a difference between being told to take something with a grain of salt, and trolling, which was the entire point, but never mind, kid.

Your salty that Taki wasn't revealed by Namco.

Vergeben:
SC6 is getting announced at this event. *Is announced*

SC6 will be more story focused. *Okubo says that the game is more story focused*

SC6 will have a v-trigger like mechanic. *has a v-trigger like mechanic*

SC6 will have a double sword edgelord. *double sword teased.*

SC6 Kilik and X are confirmed. *Kilik, X, and edgelord revealed*

But no yeah for sure his source is definitely just fucking with us.

All true, Vergeben also said Metroid Prime 4 would be developed by Namco at the same time with the SCVI leaks & Eurogamer confirmed it.

You've embarassed yourself enough, you know. The only argument you provided was "its not gonna be a thing because its trolling and they'd never make a romance in a game, 'cause they don't know how", and let me be very clear before we end this conversation: first, saying that an info isn't true "because its trolling" isn't an argument and does nothing to prove your point, and second, gaming HAS romance, a fighting game with a good story can easily have a romance and Namco is not a hivemind where if one doesn't know how to do something it means nobody there can, there are way too many people in Japan for them to not add a romance because "they don't know how".

Sorry if this seems off topic, but this is the shitposting thread so...

Can I just complain that I hate the mentality that many people have is if Soul Calibur gets any guest character from any game/show/whatever, especially something really popular, mean that people are going to instantly genuinely become fans of Soul Calibur.

Sure, it can raise sells and I do admit that Soul Calibur II pretty much got popular partly because it had Link. Though people would only buy those games because it has a character they like in the game. If they aren't in the next one they will only just ignore it and not even give a fuck about it. I even remember before Soul Calibur V was released that some dude on facebook literally said that if Link wasn't going to be in that game he wasn't going to buy. So... I guess no buy.

Also from later games I honestly didn't see too many Star War and Assassin's Creed fans excited to buy the games at all. The only thing I can come up with is that the guest characters just come from games that attract a different demographic that just wouldn't really be that interested in the games.

I share the sentiment and i agree, one of the aspect that can turn Guest characters into a Con in the long run that some people don't see.

I will admit that I was going overboard when I said I disliked him for doing that. I guess he is just a fan of those games or he did that to promote it. That was still a stupid tweet though.

I'm trying to not see into it deeply, maybe he just used google trad for that tweet and liked it while he didn't understand its exact meaning. Kappa

The bulk of the fair weather fans that buy the game for a character like Link or Ezio are primarily single player people. They’re not super into fighting games, but still enjoy swinging a sword around and beating up an opponent, especially when they can live out their fantasy of having their familiar IP champion rock some other dudes face in.

There is a small percentage that gets hooked on the game’s system or another character they previously weren’t exposed to or maybe even a friend they met online or a local and then they stick with the series. Those are the people we care about and even if it’s just 1% of the players that pick up a Calibur game due to a gimmicky guest character appearance, the community has grown and we can all be happy with that.

The bulk of the fair weather fans that buy the game for a character like Link or Ezio are primarily single player people. They’re not super into fighting games, but still enjoy swinging a sword around and beating up an opponent, especially when they can live out their fantasy of having their familiar IP champion rock some other dudes face in.

There is a small percentage that gets hooked on the game’s system or another character they previously weren’t exposed to or maybe even a friend they met online or a local and then they stick with the series. Those are the people we care about and even if it’s just 1% of the players that pick up a Calibur game due to a gimmicky guest character appearance, the community has grown and we can all be happy with that.

I will admit I did find out about Soul Calibur II when I was small through Link. Though, the only game I have ever played from Zelda at that time was Ocarina of Time, so I was pretty much new to video games back then. My early memory of ever playing it was probably at a store (probably Walmart or Sam's Club when I guess the stores let shoppers play with select games at those times) so to just let my mom do her shopping she would let me play as long as I stayed at that one spot. So while looking at what games to play Soul Calibur stood out to me because I saw Link. Something I recognized.

Yes, while I did use him some of the other characters I saw in the select screen that caught my interest were Xianghua, Kilik and Talim. Sadly the stores didn't keep those games forever but the brief moments I did play them those characters stood out to me the most I loved watching the destined battle scenes and endings.

I did over the years was able to earn money to get a PS2 in middle school (or early high school). Then I bought Soul Calibur 3. Those where pleasant times for me.

Yeah... I did come for Link. Stayed for the gameplay, story and characters.

...pretty much left Link though, lol.

My only guess for Soul Calibur VI to really draw in many players is if they put in a guest character from Nintendo (particularly from Fire Emblem since there is a large fanbase and hopefully SCVI can be available for the Nintendo Switch) or/and a female character since there never has been a female guest character unless you kinda want to include Kos-Mos from III.

Back