SCV Interview With Daishi Odashima At NEC XII

After the conclusion of Saturday’s events at NEC XII, Soulcalibur V director Daishi Odashima and Yoshi Utoh we able to take some time out of their day for a sit down interview conducted by BrewtusBibulus to answer various questions from the Soulcalibur community.

You can check out the interview along with keyframes after the break, or you can view the video by clicking on the icon to the right of this post if you are reading this from the front page.

Keyframes from Sp1d3r:

0:50 What do Mitsurugi players have to look forward to with the removal of the knockdown of 2KB? (A 1:38)​
3:30 People are wondering if there is any way to regenerate your guard guage? (A 4:15)​
8:46 People are concerned that the flash of the Brave Edge moves will be too predictable. How does this factor into your design? (A 10:09 )​
12:32 What is a clean hit? 13:25 Why is it random? (A 15:31)​
16:56 Why can’t you be more manly?​
18:45 Why are so many characters getting their stances removed? (A 19:35)​
21:05 What do players have to look forward to that enjoyed mechanic-heavy characters like Setsuka or stance-heavy characters like Ivy? (A1 22:30 | A2 23:30)​
24:47 So you made the Street Fighter IV of Soul Calibur? (A1 25:13 | A2 25:38)​
26:33 Can you explain Just-Guard?​
27:30 What is the unsafe part of Just-Guard? (A1 28:00 | A2 28:46 )​
31:00 What would it take for you to patch the game and how often do you plan on patching it? (A1 32:55 | A2 35:25 | A3 36:50 )​
37:50 Are there infinites in the game? (A 38:18)​
38:50 Regarding character balance, would you buff the weaker side or nerf the stronger side? (A 39:40)​

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you guys unfamiliar with the concept of clean hits. Haven't you heard of Sophie's TAS B?

Nice interview. Thanks to Bibulus, Daishi, and Utoh.

I'm not sure how thrilled I am about the clean hits... Hopefully it doesn't affect gameplay too much. I, myself, haven't noticed it yet.

I thought the manly question was funny, and Daishi took it like a champ. XD

Very informative. Also, Utoh's English is better than he believes.
Japanese are modest by nature; they don't regularly say they are good at something, that's why a lot of funny characters in manga are featured as people who always believes and say that they are geniuses (Slam Dunk, Naruto, etc).

I didn't really find anything wrong with the manly question because imo a lot of japanese men are androgynous by nature and 'Prince Daishi' is no exception, even though I would like to see who was behind the Q. so I can see if he's manliness personified or exploding with estrogen ( ~__~)... but the thing that got a oh...hell...to the nuu nuu was the comparison to Street Fighter :I otherwise I like Bibiz top hat and wanna' braid his facial hair

Japanese are modest by nature; they don't regularly say they are good at something, that's why a lot of funny characters in manga are featured as people who always believes and say that they are geniuses (Slam Dunk, Naruto, etc).

⑨'s a genius!

Who is it mentioned as weak in SF3?

Good interview. Tira has her old B+K auto GI confirmed, although the range has been significantly reduced (or GI pushback increased), and will likely miss now if used outside of string punishment.

I'm not sure how thrilled I am about the clean hits... Hopefully it doesn't affect gameplay too much. I, myself, haven't noticed it yet.

When Daishi turned the table on Bibulus and asked him if he noted any big change, I pretty much took that as an answer in itself.

Thank you for the interview. Very informative.

...they said "maybe there will be a high execution character in sc5" in the interview but of course thats not 100% sure...
I was actually watching the other videos of the stream and Utoh said that there IS going to be something to reward players with good execution. (5:30)

From what I got there is going to be at least 1 execution heavy character... Probably Setsuka. Also there are execution heavy elements of existing characters people don't realize just yet such as Natsu A:6 mid combo and as a combo starter

Wrong thread for that video...
However, I did see Seong-Mina's play style at 5:57, though the guy says that there are one or two fighting styles that are not attached to the listing characters in SCV...
Interesting...could that be the secret "CAS" moves perhaps?

Thanks for the vid, but even with my speakers at full blast, it was still kinda hard to hear what they're saying. I dont know, maybe its just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back