SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

Aris discovered it a while back. Apparently if you tap up while holding guard just before the opponent's hit, it will cause you to jump if the opponent goes for a low but keep you grounded if it's a mid/high, thereby eliminating mixups. []

Aris discovered it a while back. Apparently if you tap up while holding guard just before the opponent's hit, it will cause you to jump if the opponent goes for a low but keep you grounded if it's a mid/high, thereby eliminating mixups. []

Do what?

Like he said, there's recovery on landing, and since there are no more while-landing moves, it's not as good as a just guard...in fact, if the low isn't the last hit of the string, you're probably still going to get hit by the subsequent hits. []

Possibly, although there are much better options....much, much better options. If you're at anything but max range, you get a free aB for 90 damage. If that's not your style, I believe you can also iMCF or 6bA+B+K into a combo. []

bA isn't free. The guard break doesn't guarantee a CH afterwards. 6K is the strongest follow-up to A+B on block.

bA isn't free. The guard break doesn't guarantee a CH afterwards. 6K is the strongest follow-up to A+B on block.
Are you sure? I was testing this repeatedly, with counter hits off, and it registered as a 2-hit combo...the timing was strict, but it worked.

EDIT: I also read That_Dude's question as about followups after A+B on hit, not block. []

Ah... in SCIV, 6K was the strongest guaranteed follow-up after the guard break. Hence the reason I thought guard break. Well, there we go.

Okay, was just checking. Again, it doesn't work if the A+B hits at max range, since the aB will miss, and it doesn't work if the timing's off, but on hit it seemed to combo. I will have to check on block. []

please excuse my noobness , I meant to say on block!
but nevertheless I learned what I can follow up with when it hits (although a rare situation).
to add I was only able to pull off iMCF and 6bA+B+K. and that was at point blank range

No I haven't tested 6K on hit. I meant only as in A+B On hit , iMCF or 6bA+B+K at Point blank range

I've really enjoyed discovering Yoshimitsu in SC5, since I only dabbled in previous titles, but I have a question after reading this forum. As a newbie Yoshi's 6K (that quick spin-kick that hits like a truck) seems like a fantastic move, but there are a lot of complaints about nerfs to Yoshi's similar-situation alternatives and general disparagement for 6K. What exactly makes 6K bad, or at least sub-par, and when should a Yoshi player go for 6K in SC5?

I feel that a clear explanation of this move and it's alternatives would go a long way towards making Yoshimitsu intelligible to new players.

When to use - Punishment for unsafe moves and air juggle enders sometimes used as a step killer ( But is unsafe <-- Theres your bad part )

^^ this really needed a new thread?

How long does bad breath break guard now? I can almost always connect 6K, but I can't really tell if it's because the guard broke or they just unblocked after it.

EDIT: I tested it and 6K will work after bad breath. It's seeming like their guard stays broken for about 15-16 frames. If so, that makes it pretty useful. It also guard breaks in 8 blocks of it. Sure, the move is going to be seen by pretty much everyone but there must be really iron clad setups.

Pretty much what RedDjinn said, actually I was typing this as I was reading his post, and he took all the words out of my mouth. But it also works as a mixup, after the spin kick (when my opponent blocks it), the enemy tends to go in for the attack right when I release the second kick, which hits them and does a decent amount of damage.

It's unsafe, that's the big part. But if they block both Ks they're pushed back to where a lot of options are limited in punishing.

Back