SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

The only direct way into BT for Yoshi is 66A+K. Might be useful if you have an opponent who hesitates, but it's not all that fast and you can be hit out of it at any time. []

...Are there some easy ways to get yoshi into BT? I see lots of videos where people are using the suicide stuff and occasionally I'd like to use them when I'm messing around, but I can't work out any ways to reliably get into BT to use them. There's an example at the end of rddk's video on page 24 where he seems to cancel something to get into BT, but I can't work out what's going on...

The only thing I saw at the end of that vid was Yoshi’s ordinary 66(A+K) suicide, which isn’t a cancel. It can be canceled (or rather, faked) into BT, but there’s little reason to do so with the intention to do suicide as a follow up since the suicide is built in to the normal move.

Kangaroo kick (1K) into standing suicide is a combo. But I don’t know why you’d do it when you can do 8A into SDGF mixups. Style or round ender, I guess. Actually that would be cool.

Sitting suicide (MED A+K) doesn’t have to be BT to be useful since you can follow it up with A (and optional followup teleport A+B) which does a lot of damage if it hits. Of course at that point it’s practically luck / your opponent makes a big mistake, since it’s so blatantly obvious by then what’s happening. I’ve never engineered a BT MED A+K hit, just a couple times the opportunity randomly presented itself and I was lucky/quick enough to see it and use it.

My favorite Yoshi suicide is simple SDGF A+K 4_5_6. Massive damage, but hard to force.

Basically what I’m saying is, I almost never think about “getting into BT status” with Yoshi’s suicides. It’s always 66A+K or SDGF A+K or MED A+K A or something like that.

Be careful with 1K to standing A+K, since the damage is done to Yoshi first, so if you don't have enough health to survive it you will lose, not the opponent. []

Be careful with 1K to standing A+K, since the damage is done to Yoshi first, so if you don't have enough health to survive it you will lose, not the opponent. []
Excellent point, not true of 66(A+K) (damage is simultaneous), so a crucial distinction. 66(A+K) is a more common round ender for a lot of obvious reasons.

Also forgot to mention, DAMN rddk has a stylish Yoshi. Something to aspire to.

- This has been covered a bit in this thread already but... RCC 3B after iMCF: are people really doing this on reaction after CH? I have no problem with the execution in training, but if I wait until I see the CH when I'm not sure I'm going to get it, I just don't have the reactions... at best I have to try and guess, eg. after 2K hit I'll often just throw out iMCF RCC 3B assuming the iMCF will CH, but this gets me punished if they just keep blocking mid. Even the timing of iMCF 66B on CH seems quite tight.
Yes, it's CH-confirmable, but it's hard. To do the really hard hit confirms like iMCF RCC 3B, it's best to not just wait for the CH flash but look at what your opponent is doing after you input the move. For iMCF, just let your opponent's attack be the cue to go for the combo. Btw, 6B BE is harder to CH confirm.

Also realize that it's hard because the move has very little total frames and therefore gives little time to react and act accordingly. This means it's going to be hard for them to react to it too -- 6B BE feels like advantage on block against most players.

Thanks guys. I didn't even know about 66(A+K), which is why I got confused. And yea I'm mainly looking for style rather than practical use with this stuff... I kinda assume that you wouldn't use the suicide stuff in a "proper" match, given how much damage you take.

Yes, it's CH-confirmable, but it's hard. To do the really hard hit confirms like iMCF RCC 3B, it's best to not just wait for the CH flash but look at what your opponent is doing after you input the move. For iMCF, just let your opponent's attack be the cue to go for the combo. Btw, 6B BE is harder to CH confirm.

Also realize that it's hard because the move has very little total frames and therefore gives little time to react and act accordingly. This means it's going to be hard for them to react to it too -- 6B BE feels like advantage on block against most players.

I'll keep working on it, I guess. I can get 2K hit->iMCF CH RCC 3B 100% of the time in training, and have managed it roughly 2 times ever in a match. Might stick to iMCF CH 66B for now (feels easier, and slightly less punishable if you throw it out with no CH and get it blocked), and then work the RCC back in when I'm better at reading the CH. I don't really use 6B BE much (generally I'm terrible at spending my meter), but I should probably use it more.

And yea rddk's yoshi looks super-stylish. I spent a while trying some of the MED 2(B+K) B and FLEA 6(A+B) B-style schenanigans in matches last night, and got hit out of them like 99% of the time.

Thanks guys. I didn't even know about 66(A+K), which is why I got confused. And yea I'm mainly looking for style rather than practical use with this stuff... I kinda assume that you wouldn't use the suicide stuff in a "proper" match, given how much damage you take.

I'll keep working on it, I guess. I can get 2K hit->iMCF CH RCC 3B 100% of the time in training, and have managed it roughly 2 times ever in a match. Might stick to iMCF CH 66B for now (feels easier, and slightly less punishable if you throw it out with no CH and get it blocked), and then work the RCC back in when I'm better at reading the CH. I don't really use 6B BE much (generally I'm terrible at spending my meter), but I should probably use it more.

And yea rddk's yoshi looks super-stylish. I spent a while trying some of the MED 2(B+K) B and FLEA 6(A+B) B-style schenanigans in matches last night, and got hit out of them like 99% of the time.

I use suicide post-GI if I know it will win me the clinching round.

so i got blown up against yoshi in tournament yesterday. i felt like i would have gone a lot further if i was more familiar with him. anybody want to get some practice against patroklos online? my gt is jonnitti

Man, 66A BE > 6B BE > 66B > DNK has such a far ring out game. 6B BE seems to give it added pushback. It is a doom combo from mid screenish on raft stages.

soooo at MLG I beat Hawkeye and lost to Linkrkc (Ivy) and Xeph (Patroklos). Link clutched so many rounds and Xeph's Patroklos is disgusting. He really knows how to gimp my playstyle and character with the way he plays.

soooo at MLG I beat Hawkeye and lost to Linkrkc (Ivy) and Xeph (Patroklos). Link clutched so many rounds and Xeph's Patroklos is disgusting. He really knows how to gimp my playstyle and character with the way he plays.

The Pat matchup is no fun. Congrats on doing so well though.

Grats sig! Btw mkl 3AB BE after 66A BE iMCF RCC is doom too. On wall splat on Voldo stage collapsible walls 66A BE iMCF RCC 3B a:B+K DNK followup is a guaranteed RO

So can you always combo iMCF and 6A BE after 66A BE, or just on counterhit? I almost never use 66A BE except as a round starter if I think they're going to step.

Wait, did you mean 3A BE or 6B BE? 66A BE only stuns on counterhit anyway, iMCF connects as long as the BE doesn't hit at tip range. It's actually not too shabby as a step killer, but on block watch out for a JG on the 2nd hit.

Hey, i've just been messing around in training with buffering 236236 after certain moves. Not sure if this was repeated anywhere else.

It's really good actually. If you do it slow enough you get a small step and are in 8RW. You can then choose (if you are fast enough to confirm a follow up evade punish) with A+B+K for a near instant critical edge or any 8RW move. I'd say this is a viable tactic against characters with shorter range and particularly people who like to poke after blocking a safe move.

You can try it out just standing - do 236236 quickly + a button of your choice and you get the normal move, slowly you can get 8RW moves. In fact you could make people think you are trying to do a critical edge with a little dance so they block low when you then throw out a 66K to the face or 4KB, yomi style.

Anyway on to the setups:

6A+B at tip range, blocked. This is so that you can avoid any quick step killers. Also because they are forced into crouch, it limits the opponents retaliation capabilities. Quite easy to buffer slowly, want to input the second 2 of 236236 as the animation of the move is finishing.

3B+K, 66B, 33B, 2A+B. The reason for these is they are relatively safe and have some push back to them, making AA retaliation less of a problem.

So after the little step:
- did oppoent try to counter? did you evade? Then CE. CE might also catch oppoent dashing not too sure.

- did they freeze up, blocking, or step themselves? Then 8RW move of your choice.

Now I know you can buffer most of these things anyway by themselves but by doing the 236236 slowly you are giving yourself a lot more options with one movement buffer and possibility to evade confirm a CE punish. The only downside is that you will always be stepping in the same direction but if you're mixing it up it should be ok.

Also this tactic will probably work for most chars however because Yoshi's CE is low that helps, not to mention the raw damage it has - probably one of the better uses for his meter.

In fact you could make people think you are trying to do a critical edge with a little dance so they block low when you then throw out a 66K to the face or 4KB, yomi style.
Most people know that you don't have to guess low against Yoshi's CE, since you can crouch guard it even if you were standing guarding before the flash. So doing this would just make your opponent want to stand still for a second, which could be useful.

I actually do something like this, but I just step and buffer the motion and see if anything whiffed, then fire off the CE. No need to use the 236236 to do the step, just 22 and then 2323, watch and wait, CE.

Back