SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

Guys, what are you using to punish whiffed highs after ducking?

I was just doing some Alpha match-up testing. The data in the MU thread could do with some refreshing.

22AA for example is saying to 214A evade punish. However, you can duck RCC 3B launch punish it and it's not too difficult.

I'm not very good at 6K punishing ducked throws etc. and it is something I've been meaning to add to the game-plan (don't know why it feels so abnormal to me for some reason, even CE feels more natural!). However, again whilst testing the punishment on 22AA, I found you can also duck 4B. This is actually better because it combos with 3B (54dmg), 2A+B 66 (tech-able, but 65dmg if they don't). But the beauty of the 4B knock-down is delayed 3B.

Don't tech, eat 54 dmg as opposed to 48 from 6K. They tech though, and you get guaranteed 110 dmg from:

3B 6 a:B+K DNK 2K...

....more than double if they don't tech and still more than 6K. Same damage if they don't tech as a 214A DNK 3B combo (edit: with 2A+B 66 follow-up).

You can break over 125 meter-less, if you're going for 4:A series and get lucky. There's just a stupid amount more options off 4B knock-down than the 6K punish, where you usually have to work your way back into range.

4B punish also works after ducking a throw. You've obviously got to be more on point with this punish than 6K, with it being a slower move. But being faster/more on point from practising it can only be a good thing. Besides, if you are late, they are probably eating guard damage and possibly a frame-trap anyway.

So I think i'll try more 4B for high whiff punishment, saving 6K for wall/edge.

BTW: If you are not pressing 6 after 3B launch, then a:B+K --- you are doing it wrong! DNK gets guaranteed on a lot more characters if you do this - for example Pyrrha, Pat, Sieg, Omega, Alpha, Yoshi, etc. all eat 3B 6 a:B+K DNK then a force-block or mix-up. Also, control the direction with 2 or 8; this has won me so many rounds by forcing the ring-out which would not happen only for the change of direction.

Last edited:
^^ More on 4B. You can catch forward or back tech after 3B a:B+K with it, slight step in first, then you can re-launch with another tech-trap with delayed 3B as described above. The slight step might actually trick the opponent into tech-ing over playing dead, thinking you are doing step 8A+B. At least on Alpha it works, and double tech-trap = over 150. Good if you know they prefer to tech back (or forward) to avoid Deathcopter mix-up. If you think side techs stick with FC3K (or match-up specific CE but even this is getting tech JG'ed now!!)

^^ More on 4B. You can catch forward or back tech after 3B a:B+K with it, slight step in first, then you can re-launch with another tech-trap with delayed 3B as described above. The slight step might actually trick the opponent into tech-ing over playing dead, thinking you are doing step 8A+B. At least on Alpha it works, and double tech-trap = over 150. Good if you know they prefer to tech back (or forward) to avoid Deathcopter mix-up. If you think side techs stick with FC3K (or match-up specific CE but even this is getting tech JG'ed now!!)

Regarding 3B > a:B+K > 4B.
Have you tested all tech directions? I have done some testing before with similar things:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/yoshimitsu-combo-tech-trap-discussion.9053/page-19#post-668836
Haven't tested (or thought of) 3B > a:B+K > 4B, so I'm wondering if it catches all tech directions.

^^ indeed.

What's the state of play on Yoshi ending a game with suicide and forcing a draw? If you are 2 - 1 up and next game is a draw, does Yoshi player win 3 - 2?

Garbage info of the day:

CE can combo off of 44bB on a hit from tip range for 110ish damage.

Last edited:
^ With the way scaling works, almost every Yoshimitsu combo ending with CE ends up being more or less the dmg of just a raw CE lol.

Garbage info of the day:

CE can combo off of 44bB on a hit from tip range for 110ish damage.
Wow that is specific spacing, but also very good to know since you don't get much damage otherwise on tip range. If you hit at the tippy tip for some characters, it'll whiff, so watch out.

What's the most guaranteed DMG yoshi gets off half a bar? I think it's 22K iMCF 66A BE bA (106)

Probably just the 33A+B starter variant of that combo. Which sadly doesn't work on half the cast. Even just iMCF 66A BE bA is 90ish and that's really good for half of a bar.

EDIT: If you want to get technical it is probably 33A+B iMCF 3B 4A JF x3 if you're godly lucky.

Last edited:
Hope i'm not too annoying (I'm a scrub) But theres a move I used to be able to hit and it followed up great with a lot of my launching moves and other combos but I forgot how to do it and what its called. Basically it looks like a bunch of tiny 3B's in a row it's nicknamed "the elbow" as Yoshimitsu hits the opponent with three rapid elbows. Its often used to juggle. if someone could tell me what its called and how to do it I'd appreciate it

Sorry. I don't mean to flood the forum with moveset questions but I'm new to 8way run systems so its not really easy for me to hit every move. Going through the whole movelist would be tiring
You can't get good with Yoshi overnight. It's a process. Looking through the move set is tiring, but try to break up how much you put in.

Learn your basics and then graduate to advanced stuff. Don't shove a ton of info on your head. Take your time to learn him. Judging by how you're coming off, @mkl and @Signia should answer all your questions.

Relax a bit, fellow manjitou.

Back