SDCC SoulCalibur Talk Summary

• Admin
As most of you probably know by now, the "BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Fighting Games 2016" panel has recently taken place at San Diego Comic-Con. There was no stream for this event, but thanks to Twitter we have some information about what was discussed. Below you can see the tweets from a twitter user who was present at the event.

I currently have no other details from this panel, but if you were present at the event, then feel free to post in the comments and I will add it to the OP. The takeaway is that if you want a new SoulCalibur, then you should make sure to spam the SoulCalibur Facebook group to express your interest.

SoulCalibur Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SoulCalibur

Michael Stabile

Michael Stabile

WHENS SOULCALIBUR VI
My premonition never trick on me! I was right when I was saying that they'll not show us anything about a new Soul Calibur game! Namco sucks!

Of course they're working on the game, they just want us to beg and then they'll go all like "we've heard your prayers and here's the messiah" (while the game has been in the work for months, if not years) to appear as a wonderful company that listens to their customers.

I was more alluding to the fact that it seems they have some secret facebook quota to judge how popular soul calibur is which (at least to me) isn't always a proper correlation. Eitherway I think most of this forum goers are a little more jaded and can see through the "necessary" hyping bullshit

Last edited:
I even think that they are NOT really working on a new SC... There might be story/design ideas but it seems really unusual strange what they are "DOING" regarding SC since months...

I even think that they are NOT really working on a new SC... There might be story/design ideas but it seems really unusual strange what they are "DOING" regarding SC since months...
If they weren't working on a new SC, they wouldn't be doing this.

So... lets see if I got this right: they're asking us to beg for SC on Twitter? Didn't we beg enough when they screwed SCV and made the crap that was SCLS?

how exactly did they screw SCV? the story was shite, and modes were lacking...however the creation was good, the actual fighting part was great and the online was fantastic

Would have been better if they said nothing.
why is that exactly

why is that exactly

Because what they did say was worse than nothing. To build up anyone's excitement with the idea of a SoulCalibur related discussion, only for it to amount to a slide pointing to their Facebook page?

I didn't think it would be anything big to begin with, but I still can't fathom why they thought that doing this was a good idea. It feels clueless and insulting.

how exactly did they screw SCV? the story was shite, and modes were lacking...however the creation was good, the actual fighting part was great and the online was fantastic
I find so adorable when people try to defend a fucked game saying "Hey, but it has good/decent gameplay". Decent gameplay is not a feature, its a MUST on any game. Also what is the point of having good gameplay if the game itself doesn't encourage people to play it? Online mode is kinda basic nowadays on big fighting game franchises (it isn't even a feature for all of the community) and while the character creation is good, its not core to the gameplay and cannot save it by itself. Look at the different modes from SCII and SCIII, why the hell all we get in SCV is a boss rush (with some characters using costumes we don't have access to, which is even more annoying) and a compilation of random creations from random people? Do you really need me to list what problems SCV has?

I think they are just doing this to find out if a new SC is worth or not.... Because numbers
A random Facebook spamming would be the worst way to do it. Their poll was already stupid, they didn't explain rules, number of votes and didn't advertise it enough (if at all).

I look hesitantly optimistic about this. Calibur has a large enough casual base to justify a release if done correctly. But I think we all know the odds of that happening are. The series has endured a legacy of terrible mismanagement.

-Soul Calibur 3 getting released to console before testing in arcades leaving us with a broken game and putting the weight of balance on the community

-Soul Calibur 4 giving us a broken S tier character and ignoring the problem, causing further strain on the community

-Soul Calibur 5 internal development in-fighting: dev team groups arguing over which mechanics were too simple; game rushed out the door a year early in lieu of moving their development team to help with Smash Bros; terrible online matchmaking and lobby options; buggy net code that caused matches to crash regularly (which of course was fixed in Tekken but not Calibur); Hosting a tournament and not paying/ignoring the winner for months until it got blown up on social media. I'm missing some other big ones too.

But you know what was most apparent from the drama of 5 is that the "Team Soul" cares far more about their Tekken IP than anything else, and the people who DID care were overruled and rushed off the project. Our community leader that NB employed for the release of 5 did the best he could but you could tell his heart was not in Calibur, it is in Tekken.

Many of the features that could have seen the light of day, such as Tag style matching simply didn't happen most likely to eliminate the competition between it and the Tekken Tag game that was released around the same time, which didn't do well. What a shit reason not to include a mechanic. Decisions made out of fear.

You could tell that the timeline for 5 went from caring love to being rushed out the door. You know what hurt 5 the most? The hack-patch that came swiftly in the night that harshly penalized 8-wayrun movement. I'm not debating whether or not the patch was the right thing in the end, but what was obvious is that it wasn't not communicated to the community well, and you know what happened? People started leaving in droves. The game was turned on its head practically overnight. Even the strategy guide that was assembled over painstaking hours by the some of the community was voided the moment that the game was patched and repatched.

Time and time again, mismanagement from higher up has crippled the community and turned it against itself. And finally they did the worst, and pissed off their casual community with a half finished game with no content. Here we all come together with a love for soul calibur franchise, and in the end we stop playing it. It's sad.

There is no love for Calibur at the moment. Only disappointment in what could have been an amazing series that could have made NB loads of cash. I remain hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath.

I look hesitantly optimistic about this. Calibur has a large enough casual base to justify a release if done correctly. But I think we all know the odds of that happening are. The series has endured a legacy of terrible mismanagement.

-Soul Calibur 3 getting released to console before testing in arcades leaving us with a broken game and putting the weight of balance on the community
Wait, you mean that issue that caused the game to randomly force you to delete it from your Memory Card?

-Soul Calibur 4 giving us a broken S tier character and ignoring the problem, causing further strain on the community
To be fair, Yoda was a guest character, and there is no one else they could have added to the game that was classic on his level.

-Soul Calibur 5 internal development in-fighting: dev team groups arguing over which mechanics were too simple; game rushed out the door a year early in lieu of moving their development team to help with Smash Bros; terrible online matchmaking and lobby options; buggy net code that caused matches to crash regularly (which of course was fixed in Tekken but not Calibur); Hosting a tournament and not paying/ignoring the winner for months until it got blown up on social media. I'm missing some other big ones too.
I haven't heard about this problem with a tournament. But the Online mode was the least of SCV's issues.

But you know what was most apparent from the drama of 5 is that the "Team Soul" cares far more about their Tekken IP than anything else, and the people who DID care were overruled and rushed off the project. Our community leader that NB employed for the release of 5 did the best he could but you could tell his heart was not in Calibur, it is in Tekken.

Many of the features that could have seen the light of day, such as Tag style matching simply didn't happen most likely to eliminate the competition between it and the Tekken Tag game that was released around the same time, which didn't do well. What a shit reason not to include a mechanic. Decisions made out of fear.
Considering the game was rushed, I think it was a very good idea to not implement a Tag Team feature in SCV. The gameplay was the only thing that ended up being fine, and rushing an important feature would end up making the game a total mess. If it wasn't rushed, however, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

You could tell that the timeline for 5 went from caring love to being rushed out the door. You know what hurt 5 the most? The hack-patch that came swiftly in the night that harshly penalized 8-wayrun movement. I'm not debating whether or not the patch was the right thing in the end, but what was obvious is that it wasn't not communicated to the community well, and you know what happened? People started leaving in droves. The game was turned on its head practically overnight. Even the strategy guide that was assembled over painstaking hours by the some of the community was voided the moment that the game was patched and repatched.

Time and time again, mismanagement from higher up has crippled the community and turned it against itself. And finally they did the worst, and pissed off their casual community with a half finished game with no content. Here we all come together with a love for soul calibur franchise, and in the end we stop playing it. It's sad.

There is no love for Calibur at the moment. Only disappointment in what could have been an amazing series that could have made NB loads of cash. I remain hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, they really fucked up on the content part.

Things like story and single player come second in a fighting game. SCV was just that, a fighting game. There was a colossal natural disaster, and they prioritized what was important in order to get the game out since Namco are greedy fucks and pushed it out the door. For a game that the devs had no choice but to rush, SCV is quite exceptional in my opinion.
Wrong, horribly wrong, I must say. Or do you really think that Story Mode was not something hyped for in a game like Mortal Kombat X, for example? Street Fighter managed to survive without that for a while, but even Capcom noticed they cannot survive without a Story focus (despite the fact that SFV is also an unfinished mess, it doesn't even have an Arcade Mode). This thing of "fighting game doesn't need a story" isn't true, big fighting games are already moving to work on their stories because that is good, that sells. Also, the devs DID have a choice, I wouldn't have minded and neither would have the community if the game was delayed for a much better result. A game without content is bad and gameplay doesn't save anyone because gameplay is not a feature.

Wait, you mean that issue that caused the game to randomly force you to delete it from your Memory Card?

To be fair, Yoda was a guest character, and there is no one else they could have added to the game that was classic on his level.

In Soul calibur 3, they released the game to consoles first in a broken, buggy mess. Normally when you release a fighting game you release to arcades first, and patch your machines over time. Then when the game is stable you released to consoles since there was no Online patching available then.

Yoda:
I was actually talking about Hilde. If you look up tournament videos of her, she's only in one big tournament, then banned after. The decision placed huge stress on the community, because once she was banned, they started to consider Algol, who had an infinite combo.

The elaborate: the bug that causes save file corruption is known by some as the time-bomb glitch, which is explained 4:10 into this video.

The elaborate: the bug that causes save file corruption is known by some as the time-bomb glitch, which is explained 4:10 into this video.

Doom combo
Well, I thought these videos would make me somewhat happy, but they didn't, the first one actually made me angrier. If I had known what caused the bug, I would have been able to avoid it in the billions of times it fucked my playthrough. Also... I can't play Hilde for shit.

Funny enough, I never ran into the SCIII bug. That's probably part of the reason why I'm still so fond of it.

Last edited:
Doom combo
Heh, oh man. That second C2 BB after the C3 A of that combo shouldn't have even re-launched the opponent. That one's on the programmers' fault. It should have just made the opponent just roll further across the ground or something; hence no ring-out from that distance at the start of the combo.
Shit can be the same move OR a different move but with the same STUN EFFECT, the combo guarantee should already cease from there.

Wrong, horribly wrong, I must say. Or do you really think that Story Mode was not something hyped for in a game like Mortal Kombat X, for example? Street Fighter managed to survive without that for a while, but even Capcom noticed they cannot survive without a Story focus (despite the fact that SFV is also an unfinished mess, it doesn't even have an Arcade Mode). This thing of "fighting game doesn't need a story" isn't true, big fighting games are already moving to work on their stories because that is good, that sells. Also, the devs DID have a choice, I wouldn't have minded and neither would have the community if the game was delayed for a much better result. A game without content is bad and gameplay doesn't save anyone because gameplay is not a feature.

Please stop posting before a dev comes to this site and mistakes something you say for a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrdaniyel
Back