SDCC SoulCalibur Talk Summary

• Admin
As most of you probably know by now, the "BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Fighting Games 2016" panel has recently taken place at San Diego Comic-Con. There was no stream for this event, but thanks to Twitter we have some information about what was discussed. Below you can see the tweets from a twitter user who was present at the event.

I currently have no other details from this panel, but if you were present at the event, then feel free to post in the comments and I will add it to the OP. The takeaway is that if you want a new SoulCalibur, then you should make sure to spam the SoulCalibur Facebook group to express your interest.

SoulCalibur Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SoulCalibur

Michael Stabile

Michael Stabile

WHENS SOULCALIBUR VI
Wait, you mean that issue that caused the game to randomly force you to delete it from your Memory Card?

This isn't even the bug I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ability to cancel out of moves, usually to restart them for big damage, or avoid combos to make certain move sets completely useless. It completely broke the game. It's known as variable cancel or VC.

Why was a game as popular as soul calibur 2 become so unpopular when 3 launched? This is one reason. Another is because it was PS2 exclusive title.

They mismanaged the franchise into the ground, almost strategically it seems.

Good god, how did I never run into any of these but kept meeting the game breaking one all time? How lucky I am, right? Also, is it true that Dante was gonna be in SCIII? If the game was rushed to the point where the only guest it had was a KOS-MOS costume set instead of a cool character like him, that would be really disappointing.

You guys think they're still actively looking for the special guest character or they've already finalized who's going in (or even no special guest character) ??

Ever since SCII, there wasn't a SC game without a guest:

- SCII - Link/Heihachi Mishima/Spawn
- SCIII - KOS-MOS (Dante, from Devil May Cry, was gonna enter as well, it seems, but he got cancelled)
- SCIV - Angol Fear (sorta)/Darth Vader/Yoda/The Apprentice
- SCBD - Kratos
- SCV - Ezio Auditore/Devil Jin Kazama

I doubt they would make another game without another guest.

Ever since SCII, there wasn't a SC game without a guest:

- SCII - Link/Heihachi Mishima/Spawn
- SCIII - KOS-MOS (Dante, from Devil May Cry, was gonna enter as well, it seems, but he got cancelled)
- SCIV - Angol Fear (sorta)/Darth Vader/Yoda/The Apprentice
- SCBD - Kratos
- SCV - Ezio Auditore/Devil Jin Kazama

I doubt they would make another game without another guest.

In my opinion is that the best guests for the next Soul Calibur game (if it gonna happen) are Sephoroth/Cloud Strife many fans want them to be in the game as guests characters! And this it'll be awesome!

In my opinion is that the best guests for the next Soul Calibur game (if it gonna happen) are Sephoroth/Cloud Strife many fans want them to be in the game as guests characters! And this it'll be awesome!
It is more possible than you may think. If SCVI is actually a thing, and its release happens around the time of the FFVII remake's release, I wouldn't be surprised if Square-Enix actually gave Cloud and/or Sephiroth to appear in SCVI. They did allow Cloud in Super Smash Bros. U, they could do it again.

I wouldn't discard the possibility of characters from Koei as well. Mostly from Dead or Alive or the Warriors/Musou series. Dead or Alive is... well, still alive, and its a famous franchise, and SC already crossed the Warriors series before, as Sophitia is a playable character in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. Also, Samurai Warriors goes around the same time period as SC, since Yoshimitsu seems to be involved with the daimyō Nobunaga Oda.

KOSMOS wasn't exactly a guest character, it was just her outfit available for creation mode...not unlike Devil Jins style in SCV

It is more possible than you may think. If SCVI is actually a thing, and its release happens around the time of the FFVII remake's release, I wouldn't be surprised if Square-Enix actually gave Cloud and/or Sephiroth to appear in SCVI. They did allow Cloud in Super Smash Bros. U, they could do it again.

I wouldn't discard the possibility of characters from Koei as well. Mostly from Dead or Alive or the Warriors/Musou series. Dead or Alive is... well, still alive, and its a famous franchise, and SC already crossed the Warriors series before, as Sophitia is a playable character in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. Also, Samurai Warriors goes around the same time period as SC, since Yoshimitsu seems to be involved with the daimyō Nobunaga Oda.

Wow you're right a quest character from Samurai Warriors or Warriors Orochi in Soul Calibur VI will be f****ing awesome!!! :)

Holy shit, I didn't expect this to turn into a discussion (war, really) about the entire series and how the individual games sucked or didn't wirk.... IMO, all of the games in the series are great, even SCV, which I hated when it came out, now I really like it, because of the Creation and how well it plays. Also, SCIII remains my personal favourite, mostly because it's just HUGE with all of the game modes and stuff you can do.

But anyway, from what they're doing now, with the Facebook "activities" and stuff, I'm just getting the impression they thought along these lines : "Oh shit, it appears a franchise we don't give a shit about anymore still has some fans and has an anniversary or something! Quick, think of something! You three over there, you're gonna do the whole thing. I know, facebook! Do some shitty polls or trivia about the series and characters, hopefuly it'll satisfy them. Maybe they'll think we're working on something BTS. What will we do about that? Oh I don't know, it doesn't matter, leave it as it is! Nobody cares! Now, back to Tekken..."

Holy shit, I didn't expect this to turn into a discussion (war, really) about the entire series and how the individual games sucked or didn't wirk.... IMO, all of the games in the series are great, even SCV, which I hated when it came out, now I really like it, because of the Creation and how well it plays. Also, SCIII remains my personal favourite, mostly because it's just HUGE with all of the game modes and stuff you can do.

But anyway, from what they're doing now, with the Facebook "activities" and stuff, I'm just getting the impression they thought along these lines : "Oh shit, it appears a franchise we don't give a shit about anymore still has some fans and has an anniversary or something! Quick, think of something! You three over there, you're gonna do the whole thing. I know, facebook! Do some shitty polls or trivia about the series and characters, hopefuly it'll satisfy them. Maybe they'll think we're working on something BTS. What will we do about that? Oh I don't know, it doesn't matter, leave it as it is! Nobody cares! Now, back to Tekken..."

I agree with you @Draggonnfs I have exactly the same thoughts as you! I don't know what they're trying to do, but I know that they won't announce nothing till the end of the year! They're focusing only on Tekken! Maybe we'll have some news in 2017 after Tekken 7 console release!

I don't really care for guest fighters. That's another reason I'm so fond of SCIII. No dilution. The world, atmosphere, and characters are pure SoulCalibur.

I guess it forgoes a straightforward way of bringing new players to the series, but if I were to design my dream SoulCalibur game, I'd leave out guests. Easter eggs through create-a-soul would be fine, but not something that's going to be given half the game's advertising budget.

That's not to mention that most of the time, the movesets they come up with aren't carried over to the next game. The closest they came was with Kratos, and they dumped his moves on Lizardman, rather than designing a new character. Overwrote more than half of Lizardman's old moveset, which I preferred.

I find so adorable when people try to defend a fucked game saying "Hey, but it has good/decent gameplay". Decent gameplay is not a feature, its a MUST on any game. Also what is the point of having good gameplay if the game itself doesn't encourage people to play it? Online mode is kinda basic nowadays on big fighting game franchises (it isn't even a feature for all of the community) and while the character creation is good, its not core to the gameplay and cannot save it by itself. Look at the different modes from SCII and SCIII, why the hell all we get in SCV is a boss rush (with some characters using costumes we don't have access to, which is even more annoying) and a compilation of random creations from random people? Do you really need me to list what problems SCV has?

A random Facebook spamming would be the worst way to do it. Their poll was already stupid, they didn't explain rules, number of votes and didn't advertise it enough (if at all).

So effectively your counter argument was just "I don't like the way they made SCV cos X,Y,Z and just completely ignoring the key factors..waaaaaaaah"

Sounds about right

I agree with you @Draggonnfs I have exactly the same thoughts as you! I don't know what they're trying to do, but I know that they won't announce nothing till the end of the year! They're focusing only on Tekken! Maybe we'll have some news in 2017 after Tekken 7 console release!

That's what I was thinking because SCV was rushed due to TTT2 console version coming out 8 month later. I know of the flaws of SCV, but I except it for what it is. This game is much more balanced than SCIII & SCIV combined.

SE - 1995
SC - 1998
SCII - 2002
SCIII - 2005
SCIV - 2008
SCV - 2012

A new game comes out every 3-4 years. For SCVI, PS is waiting for the perfect time to announce SCVI. That time is after T7:FR console version comes out in early 2017. After that, their will be no stress of the developer to rush out another title because PS is focused on SCVI being made. Even though SC:LS had super simplfied gameplay. The best thing about that game did was have extra bound stuns & bring back fan favorites like Taki & Sophitia. Also moves of certain characters being adjusted. Example: Leixia's 33_66_99AA has an improved stun, 11_77AA becoming a viable low that stuns on CH, 6A becoming useful on CH, CH 3A+B getting a better stun. Hoshino also reinstated Taki's FC A+B stun & Leixia's Double CE. Why adjust those moves? The answer is a new installment is going to have those improvements.

...For SCVI, PS is waiting for the perfect time to announce SCVI. That time is " blah blah blah" ... After that, their will be no stress of the developer to rush out another title because PS is focused on SCVI being made.
Having news of SCVI being developed confirmed, I'd also say that would be good. Just hope, Frayhua, that JAG's prediction isn't dead on. Sorry for this again, Frayhua, but JAGTHEGEMINI, I do not blame you for your frustration on this.

Well, there are a few things I'd like to add to my last post. I obviously hope that they're actually making a new game BTS, and actually A REAL game, not some mobile or f2p crap, I just don't think that's happening. Also, it makes sense not to release or announce it now that Tekken 7 is hyped to no end, Namco wouldn't like that at all... But anyways... Let's just hope. Also, I've seen someone around here saying that they'd like to see SCIII AE HD or something like that more than SCVI. SCIII still remains my favourite, but why in the name of ass would I want that before SCVI? I'm thinking about trying to port the AE to my PS2, and you can run the game really well in the PS2 emulator, even in 1080p, so I really see no point in them making that rather than SCVI. I have the feeling that would suck some money and time and effort and whatever that could go into making SCVI more awesome.

Live streams

63 Viewers
Bigpapachunk
Bigpapachunk
Wednesday Night Fights 2024 Ep.16 - Impossible challenge: FGC shuts up and just plays games without complaining on twitter.
5 Viewers
VitaminDCosplay
VitaminDCosplay
Creating Characters For You! !SongRequests

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back