Siegfried Matchup Discussion Thread

Midrange is Siegfrieds sovereign territory. Almost all characters have to respect that, Maxi is no exception. 66B in particular eats WS B all day unless perfectly spaced at which point it has to actually be initiated outside midrange, where it is extremely risky to throw out a move with its lack of tracking and extremely long whiff recovery.
22[ B ] is a good option for Maxi to use after blocking 3[ B ]. As always, however, Sieg has a counter for that counter - and ch SCH B's hurt like hell.
6A+B is a great punisher, but its speed and range make it less of an issue than most people would think. The only noteable Siegfried move that is punishable by this, but not standard launchers, is Flapjack.
The real problem for Sieg in this matchup lies in dealing with Maxis stance game. The lack of no-brainer counters after many of the transitions force him to play Russian roulette with Maxi all day or get guard crushed regularly. This is similar to what Sieg can do to Maxi (and countless other characters) with 3[ B ]. Unlike him, tho, Maxi is not reduced to a mere 2 transitions to initiate the gamble and Sieg never gets the option of simply doing a CE to forego the mindgame altogether.
In theory this matchup is pretty even as long as both characters are played at full potential. In practice Maxi has an edge, because the demands on reaction time and character knowledge to properly capitalize on reverse mix-up and punishment opportunities are much higher for the Siegfried player. 5.5-6 to 4.5-4 in Maxis favor.

Asta vs Sieg is not even simply because of mathematics, but Sieg has effective tools to deal with Astas bullshit and - most importantly - doesn't depend on meter to punish throw attempts for good damage. 5.5-6 to 4.5-4 in Astas favor.

Mitsu is dumb as hell, but the lack of a good punishing game makes this bearable. 6 to 4 in Mitsus favor.

Natsu is similar to Maxi, except I feel under less strain to keep track of all her options compared to him. 5.5 to 4.5 in Natsus favor.

Omega is... Omega. Her CE kills any sort of mix-up attempts post 3[ B ] at any range. She builds meter fast and doesn't really need it for anything else. DNS B is a great threat to his midrange game as it goes under a lot of his tools and does absolutely retarded damage, not to mentioned that he cannot punish it on block. Her guard damage is immense and her control of any sort of movement within her preferred range is ridiculous. And lets not forget NS B, which is the same problem in this matchup it has always been - only with the additional threat of R.O./Wallsplat as icing on the cake.
Even so... her dependency on DNS B to beat his spacing game head-on can be exploited and shes unsafe enough for even Siegfried to get some decent punishment options. Overall the matchup is similar to Astaroth in nature, because her rewards usually far exceed his. Add her punishment game and her closerange options and you have a 7-3.

However, I've found that you can actually space her extremely well, even with her DNS stupidity. It's another case of 6:4 at distance, 0:10 up close - or at least that's what all of my matches with Partisan tell me.
What do you use to space her effectively?

She's great.

Move. I don't have time to play around.

What do you use to space her effectively?
  • agA is everyone's favorite move.
  • 6A gives a pushback on NH or CH, and isn't gonna get you stabbed unless she uses CE.
  • B6 is what you do if you're worried about her but don't want to commit too heavily
  • 6B is great when you yomi their backstep.
  • iWR (B) works if you yomi a step because tracking.
  • 2A+B is like a backstepping 6B and can be utilized similarly.
  • 22A tells that bitch to "BACK OFF" and is great if you have advantage, ie blocked 66A or B4
  • 66B is super risky, but at tip range she has to be on the ball to punish it, and allows you to pressure her guard.
  • 4B+K is your friend if you're trying to get that whore to whiff.
Mind you, this depends widely on who's playing her and how they're playing her.

Essentially, all you're really wary of spacing wise is her DNS A and DNS B, both of which are stupid moves but still aren't foolproof. Her 66B doesn't track worth shit, and she doesn't really have anything else that's long range. The stigma is that she can punish ANYTHING/EVERYTHING, but DNS B is not always a sure bet because of spacing/frames/axis etc; if she absolutely has to punish you at range her CE is what she has to use. Most Ω players I know are still trying to figure out how to use her meter effectively, but generally I see them sit on that shit forever like the whores they are until they can use CE.

She's a stupid whore, but I like her match-up better than Sophitia in SC4.

Sorry for rezing dead thread but I would rather rez than start new thread. Against Leixia what would I do against her stepping auto evade? I've tried iagA (goes through her head), 3A (she steps it too), and 22_88A (too slow).

hmmmm how does siggy fair against yoshi? I play both of these guys alot and I feel siggy can keep yoshi out rather well...while yoshi can give siggy a hard time once he's inside=o

I've never had a hard time fighting Yoshi, you just have to know his options and make reads. Then he is all yours.

After realizing Ω moves I hate are verticals, I tried sidestepping a lot more. Really helped. 2B+K and 4B+K seem to help a bit as well. I guess my Sieg has been too stationary up to this point.

Yeah moving around a lot helped me too. Also keeping her at a range works wonders. So iagA, b6 are your friends here, so is iWRB (classic). I'm really scared when she's close as well as entering various stances, even though I noticed I use more SSH against her. Also not dropping combos is extremely important against her as well as knowing her tools. Don't try to attack after her 66B, let her do the mistake and find herself in DA. This move is pretty linear, but when you are on the ground, I swear I was hit by it even when I rolled at her back. T-T

This is my impression of the matchups :) I will defend it if i have enough time.

Sieg : Other Character

Alpha 4:6
Aeon 5:5
Algol 5:5
Asta 5:5
Cervantes 5:5
Dampierre ???
Ezio ???
Hilde 5:5
Ivy 6:4
Leixia 6:4
Maxi 5:5
Mitsu 5:5
Natsu 5:5
Nightmare 5:5
Pat 5.5:4.5
Pyr 5:5
Omega 4:6
Raph 5:5
Tira 5:5
Viola 5:5
Voldo 6:4
Xiba 5:5
Yoshi 5:5
Zwei 6:4

Wait...mmm Shen yuan I have to ask about astaroth...why 5:5 me surprised=o Im glad I can Just guard his 4(B) and 44(A) on reaction (actually I do B+K against his 44(A).) Makes it alot easier but yeah. And gah poor zwei match is 6:4 :/ meh I knew it lol

Heaton: Yeah Omega is the worst no doubt lol

Mitsu: You need to space out. There is no other way to play the matchup. Don't be afraid of throwing out shit quickly. His CH damage isn't the most amazing and backstep 66B isn't very easy especially when you have iAGA. Wear him out at mid-range. Make sure he loses blood by the time he gets in. i WSB / 3B sets are great against him.

Astaroth: 66K BE and 22B seem strong against sieg but actually asta has lots of things to worry about in this matchup. SRSH is very good, considering he kinda gets mediocre punishers from guessing either right. Furthermore he can't step WSB in one direction, and WSBB is an easy NC on him, and this is a very strong punisher for Asta's throws. Sieg has very long range pokes, and Asta doesn't like pokes.... even B6 doesn't get revenged easily. In mid-range baiting, Chief spin is amazing because if you spin sideways after a poke, you beat bullrush, 6K and 6B and the good thing is 3A+B and 4A don't give the CH for good damage.

I liked Shen Yuan's list and I would love to see other opinions on the match-up results. So what are your thoughts?

Siegfried vs Pyrrha ω: 3-7
Siegfried vs Pyrrha: 4.5-5.5
Siegfried vs Leixia: 6-4
Siegfried vs Viola: 4-6
Siegfried vs Maxi: 5-5
Siegfried vs Mitsu: 4-6
Siegfried vs Natsu: 4-6

I haven't fought many of the rest characters online, so yeah.

Why don't you post your own so that we can criticize you >:D
even though its not directed at me, i guess i'll take you up on that offer ChaosK. Criticize away ;)

Sieg:Opponent

Alpha 4:6
Aeon 5:5
Algol 5:5
Asta 4:6
Cervantes 4:6
Dampierre 6:4
Ezio 6:4???
Hilde 4:6
Ivy 6:4
Leixia 5:5 or 4.5:5.5
Maxi 5:5