Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, Ivy's P2 from SCV is ugly af.
It always seemed like something that would fit more in Tekken rather than soul calibur.

The same designer also did Tira's SC5 2p and that seemed to fit a lot better

Leave my Ivy's alone :P l0l

So far there was only one journalist asking Okubo about Ivy and asking about women developers on the team.

While the question could have been asked innocently, I don't like how the interviewer framed the question by immediately establishing the premise of Ivy being "problematic" (to who? for what ?) and whether there were female designers (as if the interviewer seriously thought there were zero women on the design branch of the Project Soul Team).

Its ironic that some of the most "problematic" outfits were designed by the well known Mari Shimazaki and therefore whatever the interviewer wants to imply is all of a sudden out the window.

GameCentral has some other objectionable comments in that interview so I wouldn't take them seriously.

What do we think lethal hits are? It can't be random because the devs said it happens in specific situations and it can't just be a CH either. I think they might be attacks which land within a certain area of the attack's hitbox (such as tip range) or they are whiff punishes that only activate the special launch when your opponent is still in recovery frames (like mitsu's 22/88A in sc4). I guess they also might have something to do with breaking a certain part of the opponents armor.

Thank you for this information :)

What i wanna say with it - me and many other are abit sick of those extremly nude outfits.
And most clothing in SC5 CaS doesn't really fit with Ivys Boobs etc.

SC5 went in a good direction of Ivys design, but still many of us would love a ivy design that is refreshing, maybe suprising.
Or at least if the CaS in SC6 will be abit better :D
At the end of the day, you have to understand that Ivy's character and thematic is a dominatrix alchemist first and foremost since her inception. It's prevalent in her personality and moves. It's the type of design that anyone can understand who and what she is at a glance.
To change her is like wanting Voldo to not be gimpy. Their defaults always reflect aspects of their S&M inspired duality. Their additional alts get into different things that explore aspects of them outside of this, but their base concepts are always what's most important to express and have people understand. It's the theme to their character designs as a whole, whether people like it or not. That's who they are. To want them to be something other than what they are is to want them to be totally different characters and lose the "point" of them both.
That is probably why they have fun and include other things as their alts that are more experimental however. But the defaults for both always are to the point and meant to be.

All of them were fine for me except number 3, that hooker shit was ugly af. Please do not add anything like that again, the fuck was that inspired from anyways?? (plz don't say Mrs Claus)
Yea, Ivy's P2 from SCV is ugly af.
Mari Shimazaki tried to do some kind of high fashion thing with her, as that's what she likes and typically is stylistically inspired by when designing. High fashion is divisive. I wasn't much a fan of it mainly because the color scheme was just wholly unfitting for her. You could fix that by editing that in-game, but eh. It just wasn't her best work either way.

So far there was only one journalist asking Okubo about Ivy and asking about women developers on the team.

While the question could have been asked innocently, I don't like how the interviewer framed the question by immediately establishing the premise of Ivy being "problematic" (to who? for what ?) and whether there were female designers (as if the interviewer seriously thought there were zero women on the design branch of the Project Soul Team).

Its ironic that some of the most "problematic" outfits were designed by the well known Mari Shimazaki and therefore whatever the interviewer wants to imply is all of a sudden out the window.

GameCentral has some other objectionable comments in that interview so I wouldn't take them seriously.
You know what gets me about all of that? The biggest ignorance is how the interviewer had the gall and audacity to ask such a question, when the Soul Calibur series' weapon designer since the beginning is a woman.

Last edited:
What do we think lethal hits are? It can't be random because the devs said it happens in specific situations and it can't just be a CH either. I think they might be attacks which land within a certain area of the attack's hitbox (such as tip range) or they are whiff punishes that only activate the special launch when your opponent is still in recovery frames (like mitsu's 22/88A in sc4). I guess they also might have something to do with breaking a certain part of the opponents armor.

from a translated post from MF Doom:

"Lethal Hits inflict heavy damage to the opponent's armor. It's a attack that's a bit slow with a blue glow. The attack was mapped to the L1 button."

I don't care which characters you do or do not want to fuck, keep it on topic.
Waifus are important, keep your negativity out of here.
from a translated post from MF Doom:

"Lethal Hits inflict heavy damage to the opponent's armor. It's a attack that's a bit slow with a blue glow. The attack was mapped to the L1 button."
I don't believe that's true, as Mitsu's B6 counted as a lethal hit twice in a video I watched, and I think the condition for that move to be a lethal hit is for it to connect as a counterhit.

I know this is a few pages old, but once you start to train with Hilde you just get the dynamic of her charges, similar to just hits and on hit moves.

Yeah you start feeling the timing in a sense. Either way though, I think a more notable indication of her charge would be nice. Especially to newbies to Hilde

Anyway, as far as Ivy goes, I like her SC5 look the best. It's still sexy but sophisticated and expensive looking unlike her sc4 design. I'm sure they'll do her justice.

On the Hilde thing it would be actually horrible for there to be an indicator of what charge she's on lol she's not beginner friendly, you're supposed to be able to track what charge you're at constantly throughout the match, charging during attack animations, canceling single A/B, or while guarding or during throw animations. Imagine seeing that that Hilde just got the unblockable A and she running up to you lmao what do you think she's gonna do? Now the opponent just has to 2A her or JG because they could literally see it coming.

Not even just the unblockable, if you see that she has C2A then you're just not gonna step against her because you don't want to eat that stupid damage. Same with C3B, then you make sure you don't whiff. It would really hurt her for the opponent to see what charge she's at.

Last edited:
On the Hilde thing it would be actually horrible for there to be an indicator of what charge she's on lol she's not beginner friendly, you're supposed to be able to track what charge you're at constantly throughout the match, charging during attack animations, canceling single A/B, or while guarding or during throw animations. Imagine seeing that that Hilde just got the unblockable A and she running up to you lmao what do you think she's gonna do? Now the opponent just has to 2A her or JG because they could literally see it coming.

Not even just the unblockable, if you see that she has C2A then you're just not gonna step against her because you don't want to eat that stupid damage. Same with C3B, then you make sure you don't whiff. It would really hurt her for the opponent to see what charge she's at.

That true....damn it

Also, Your first post in over a week and it's a one word reply with no attempt to even discuss why you dislike the idea. Thanks for posting!

•equally condescending tone• You’re very welcome!

I didn’t realize I was being tracked.

However, there’s not much of a proper discussion that can truly take place — Batman is just not the one. I do support this project he’s getting, and that’s where he needs to stay.

I wish they would have retained the ability to charge buttons while still using them in battle.

Like, you know how SCIV Hilde was, (given the doom combo was super stupid) where you could bind L1 and L2 as A and B and then just hold those down while still using the normal button for your attacks.

Without the doom combo ring out crap, I think they should have left the ability to do this in. Also, I'm an old man and don't like change! GET OFF MY LAWN!

I wish they would have retained the ability to charge buttons while still using them in battle.

Like, you know how SCIV Hilde was, (given the doom combo was super stupid) where you could bind L1 and L2 as A and B and then just hold those down while still using the normal button for your attacks.

Without the doom combo ring out crap, I think they should have left the ability to do this in. Also, I'm an old man and don't like change! GET OFF MY LAWN!
No. This is inherently broken already because of the simple fact that you can't do it on an arcade stick.

SCV P1 Ivy is my favorite costume, but i won't be surprise if she'll have her SC1 costume since SC6 will be a kind of a reboot, and Mitsu and Sophie are already wearing their SC1 outfits. (or at least something that looks a lot like it)

Wait, you know what would be sick? I just thought about it, what if the Story will retell all of the first 3 games, and we'll even be able to see the characters with their outfits from all those games, and will even change a bit aesthetically (like they'll look a bit Older), Goddammit that'll be too KREYGASM OMG!!!

Remember guys, as @Vergeben said while ago: "HUUUGE Story mode focus"

PS: Got this idea from Street Fighter V, where some characters have alt costumes where they look younger, maybe Project Soul got inspired by this and will expand the idea at another level? Would be too tight if so!!

Can you imagine if they did cutscenes during major story arcs instead of the standard text crawls?

At this point, I would settle with the text crawls lol. All the other fighting games have lowered the standards so much, that even text crawls would be a pleasant surprise.

Cutscenes would be phenomenal, though.

Keep in mind that Okubo mentioned he felt they modeled Sophitia in a beautiful way and gave her some cute charm. Her animations for her super move definately support this (conveying much more showmanship/swagger than the SC4 critical finishes):

Sophitia shields herself from her opponent being cooked by the sun and catches her own sword with a twirl
Mitsurugi's pose after the opponent plummets back to the dirt as if he's trying to flick off the blood from his flaming katana looks real cool too
This reminds me, I'm pretty sure Critical Edge animations were outsourced in SC5. The Famitsu article mentioned they were surprised how much is being outsourced for this game as well, so that makes me curious what specifically they're outsourcing. With SC5 it was story mode cutscenes (I can't remember the name of the company, but they've done Asura's Wrath), Critical Edge animations (Just Cause, the guys who did DMC3 and DMC4 cutscenes), and most of the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back