Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still solidly in the camp that each character should speak their own language.

On the back end, it cuts down on costs for the game.

In the act of playing the game, it reduces the amount of whining about Japanese vs English voices by the hordes of weebs playing the game.

Also we’d get to hear Astaroth pronouncing Fhhshhzzhyywhwhhhzlzlznnyy or whatever it is, which is cool.
What language would Astaroth speak? Greek?

I just thought about this would anyone else like the option to change the voices in the game individually like street fighter 5 were tou could have some characters in English and others in Japanese instead of all or nothing.
I watched NEC 18 a couple of days ago and they had japanese voices for the characters and I really enjoyed lostening to them, Ivy in particular.

I’m still solidly in the camp that each character should speak their own language.

On the back end, it cuts down on costs for the game.

In the act of playing the game, it reduces the amount of whining about Japanese vs English voices by the hordes of weebs playing the game.

Also we’d get to hear Astaroth pronouncing Fhhshhzzhyywhwhhhzlzlznnyy or whatever it is, which is cool.
It really doesn't matter how solidly you are in the "camp", this is bad in Tekken and will be even worse on Soul Calibur, now that they want to focus on a solid story. If they're all speaking in one language, at least there is some consistency, but with everyone speaking their language, you're constantly jumping between understanding or not what the hell they're saying. Its a bad idea and I'm glad the trailer showed us they'll just use good old english.

...good old english.

Just like baby Jesus spoke! Ain’t none’a that gosh’darn for’ner speak gon’ be in MAH GAME!

If you want to argue from a story perspective these individuals wouldn’t speak the multitude of languages presented by the varied cast members and no communication beyond pointing weapons and making threatening motions with them would get across.

My “immersion” has been shattered (in regards to spoken interaction) ever since Soul Edge/Blade.

At the very least, I'd personally like certain characters having accents in the English version beyond just Ivy. Like Raph and Amy/Viola having French accents, Siegfried and Hilde having German accents, etc.
While all the characters speaking their native language is cool in theory, the way it's handled in Tekken is just a bit jarring to me. Like, everyone in the cast apparently being multilingual, despite never once speaking any of those other languages just creates something of a disconnect. For me, anyway. Not looking for immersion in a fighting game or anything, just a narrative that is easy for me to follow lol.

For me Soul Calibur = Japanese voices All THE WAY.

Can't wait to hear my wife Japanese voice in SC6, never has been disappoint in this aspect in the past personally.

Mitsurugi Engrish voice? not too bad, but in Japanese it's another level and that adds a huge amount of charisma to the character.

Siegfried Japanese voice in 2 and 3... I mean Damn it this alone tell you that you have to play this character :kreygasm: , now thinking about easily one of the best voice on any fighting game!

Overall Japanese voices are by far the BESTS in my opinion!!

PS: Actually just though about it, but it's funny to think that SC always change its voices and also has two voice options (US and JP), as opposite of Tekken that has their same voices for the most part since T5, games that are supposed to have a way bigger development budget lmao.

There's a point when a character speaking their own language begins to effect the character's ability to express themselves. Are we going to have mid-match subtitles or what?
Overwatch has found a great balance where allies hear the game version's language, and enemies hear the character's native language, so you know what they're supposed to be saying, but you can't really do that in a fighting game.

It's cool that you brought Overwatch cause i think they did it well, all characters speak English, but sometime they say something in their native language which give them more personality. But when they speak to each other it's always English (or whatever common language, depends on how you set up language of your game), which make way more sens than T6/7 for example, where characters speak with their own language with each others like it's nothing, and that's end up looking a bit weird imo.

Last edited:
At the very least, I'd personally like certain characters having accents in the English version beyond just Ivy. Like Raph and Amy/Viola having French accents, Siegfried and Hilde having German accents, etc.
I'd be interested in them talking with accents but aren't Raphael and Amy Spaniards.

Oh no please no... I'm french and I can't stand the french accent xD might as well speak french. (I have the same problem with Widowmaker for OW)

That's not the problem, It may be just me, I know a lot of people actually love the french accent, to me it just sounds dumb xD (this just brings back school memories... hearing everybody trying to speak english... and failing xD)
Yeah.. it's definitely just me :p

What song should be used?
Wow so I just watched each one back to back again and that SC4 one was awesome with the added effects that's gonna be pretty hard to top!

How about the song - We No Speak Americano by Yolanda Be Cool vs DCUP. I can imagine Voldo doing some moves in tune with that song haha

Is the guy who does them still active? The Voldo dance must continue!
Needs to be done before SC6 lol

Ooooh no please, no French accent! It's quite ridiculous! The French are always mocked for their outrageous accent. Raphael and Amy are fine the way they are now! Let's not turn SC into that ridiculous Tekken "everybody-speaks-and-understands-every-language-on-earth", nor give the characters accents...

Ooooh no please, no French accent! It's quite ridiculous! The French are always mocked for their outrageous accent. Raphael and Amy are fine the way they are now! Let's not turn SC into that ridiculous Tekken "everybody-speaks-and-understands-every-language-on-earth", nor give the characters accents...
Oh, I'm not the only one then :p other Frenchies think the same, that's cool to know.
I mean it is quite ridiculous, and I really like Heather Hogan performance as both Amy and Viola, hope she comes back Raphaels VA is great too (don't remember his name but I think he had 2 VAs)

I don't think, that accents are a bad idea... it's normal for the most people to dislike the accent of their native language in another language.
I don't like german accent in other languages, but i love russian accent xD (and british .. a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back